Day 3

Cake by the Ocean

There were two kinds of people on vacation.

 

First, there are people like Wendy who despite staying up all night with her girlfriend, still managed to get up at 7 am, put on her gym clothes and go out for a morning run. She is decked out in Nike’s from head to toe from her tank top, to her short shorts to her Huaraches. People like Wendy are the kind who walks up in an endless selection of continental breakfast buffet only to pour herself some cereals (Kashi’s not cocoa puffs) and grab a plate of fruits.

 

And then there are people like Sooyoung, Yeri, and Seulgi.

 

The only reason they’re awake at 9 am is so that they won’t miss the breakfast buffet. Three heavenly beauties with an appetite of an entire football team.

 

For a second, the feeling of guilt clawed at them, but one bite of that crisp bacon and they all know they regret nothing.

 

“You guys are up already?”

 

“Yeah, the breakfast buffet only runs until 10. So, sacrifices have to be made.” Sooyoung said while she nibbled on a slice of bacon.

 

“Orrrrr, we could eat breakfast then go back to sleep,” Yeri suggested, where both her unnies agreed.

 

“Sounds like an awesome plan already.”

 

Wendy joined them on their table and instantly cringed at Yeri’s cereal bowl. Her bowl looked like someone threw up rainbows, cocoa puffs, fruity pebbles and every cereal known to man in there.

 

“What is that?” Wendy dared to ask.

 

“Well…” Yeri said before digging in a spoonful of cereal. “I can’t decide which cereal to get, so I put all the cereals in here… why pick one when I can have all?”

 

“You’re gonna get sick,” Wendy said, looking worried at Yeri’s every bite.

 

“It’s worth it. Want some?”

 

The health nut politely declined although her brain is screaming hell naaaawwwww.

 

“I’m a cereal killer.” Yeri snickered at her lame joke. “Get it? Cereal? Serial?”

 

The rest of the girls decided it was much better to pretend not to hear her.

 

“Where’s unnie?” Seulgi wondered. It’s like a unicorn sighting whenever Wendy or Joohyun is alone without the other.

 

“Oh. She’s still asleep.” Wendy lightly scratched her neck, and Sooyoung could see those red spots along Wendy’s shoulders. It’s not even a wonder anymore who’s on the bottom. “She’s tired. I’ll just get her some breakfast.”

 

“I wonder why.” Sooyoung narrowed her eyes suspiciously at Wendy and Wendy looked away from the judging stare.

 

“Me and Joohyun are probably just going to stay in for today and-“

 

“Just have all day?” Yeri added.

 

“Just have se- What?!” Wendy’s brows jumped up high. “N-n-no. You know. Since you have been saying since day one, Sooyoung, it’s a vacation we should just chill and enjoy. So me and Joohyun are just going to you know, watch movies, maybe get some room service… you know just chill.”

 

“That’s another word for-“

 

“Okay, okay…” Wendy cuts them before this topic goes out of hand this early. “But look what I got from the lobby.”

 

Wendy spreads around four leaflets of different tour packages around the city. The front part is filled with happy faces standing behind the landmarks, but Sooyoung and Yeri don't look impressed or the least bit interested.

 

“What’s that supposed to be?”

 

“This place is more than just the beach. It got pretty cool historical sights too.”

 

“Cool and historical should never be in one sentence ever. EVER.”

 

“Wait, hear me out first. I mean look at this.” Wendy picked up the pamphlet with a picture of a family happily waving as they stood behind a massive temple. “This one. There’s this temple that is said to be over a 1000 years old.”

 

“A 1000 years old? Damn… that’s older than dinosaurs.” Yeri pointed out.

 

“Wrong.” Wendy corrected her “Dinosaurs are from a million of years ago. But you have to be more specific on what period you’re talking about. You got the Triassic period from 250 million years ago, the Jurassic period 200 million years ago and the Cretaceous Period 145 million years ago.”

 

“God damn it, unnie.” Sooyoung looked unimpressed. “I thought you’re going to be a lawyer, why do you even know about dinosaurs?”

 

“Is that how you won your Obama award because you know all these things about dinosaurs?”

 

“Well,” Wendy smirks proudly. “You guys just learned something new today.”

 

But while most people are no match for Sooyoung and Yeri’s sarcasm combined, they should know better that Wendy isn’t like most people. And for someone who looked like a squishy fluffball, she could be stubborn as .

 

“Well, don’t knock it until you see it. C’mon guys. We are already here, don’t you want to go back and tell everyone, yeah, I have been there?”

 

Sooyoung and Yeri didn’t look so game with the whole idea. This was supposed to be a vacay, not a field trip to something that was made a thousand years ago.

 

“This tour covers three temples, a butterfly sanctuary and by the end of the tour there’s a river ride with a buffet.”

 

“Buffet?”

 

That should have done the trick.

 

“Yup. And they got pretty good reviews about their buffet in Yelp.”

 

Sooyoung and Yeri exchanged knowing glances, the two having a telepathic debate of whether to go or not.

 

“Fine, I guess.”

 

“Good. Cause I already signed us all up, it’ll be tomorrow at 8 am.”

 

“8 am?”

 

Sooyoung, Yeri, and Seulgi are regretting their decision already.

 

“Yup.” Wendy took a bite of her boring Kashi’s cereal while smiling triumphantly at them. “So, what are you guys plans for today?”

 

“After last night’s karaoke. We decided to help Seulgi unnie’s relationship.”

 

“Wait… what?” Seulgi dropped her ham on the plate. “No one told me that.”

 

“You’re welcome.” Sooyoung smiled back at Seulgi. She doesn’t know what it is about Sooyoung’s smirk, but it was enough to make her stomach flip flop.

 

“Well, I’m definitely rooting for both of you,” Wendy answered. “Eunae is sweet and polite.”

 

“And hot as .”

 

“And beautiful…” Wendy used a politer term. “And the way she looks at you, it’s like…” Wendy let out a dreamy sigh as she looked up at the ceiling. “Like the stars shine in your eyes.”

 

Typical cheesy Son Wendy but it was enough for Seulgi to put her fork down.

 

“R-really? I didn’t notice.”

 

“It’s just the disco ball.” Yeri pointed out.

 

“For once I agree with Wendy unnie. It’s like staring at those heart eyes emoji, unnie. I think she likes you too.”

 

The beat of Seulgi’s heart just quadrupled in speed.

 

“Well, you liking each other is only gonna go as far as you want it to go.” Wendy pointed out.

 

That was too much to comprehend for Seulgi.

 

“What?”

 

“It doesn’t matter if you two like each other. If no one is going to make a move, nothing is going to happen. And since you’re the unnie, maybe you should you know, make a move.”

 

“Like did you text her good morning?” Sooyoung jumped in.

 

“Yup. Did you text her, hey Eunae-yah. I had such an awesome time with you last night and all my friends like you. I hope you have a good morning, see you later.” Yeri added.

 

The girls were shooting questions with rapid-fire succession at her, and it was only making Seulgi’s nerves all jumpy. Seulgi didn’t know who to listen first or who to answer.

 

“I ummm…” She fiddled nervously with her napkin, afraid of how to say it. “I didn’t ask for her phone number?” Seulgi admitted sheepishly.

 

The three gasps so loud, the breakfast place got quiet to look over to them.

 

“Oh my God unnie, how could you?” Yeri looked at her with ultimate disappointment that she lost her appetite for a few seconds. A few seconds ticked by and she started to eat again, but yup she’s still disappointed.

 

“And why not?!”

 

“I…I…I forgot, okay?” Seulgi cracked under pressure from her friends. “It’s just that when she’s around, I can’t think. Or maybe I’m overthinking, and I don’t know what to do. She ummm… weakens me.”

 

The three backed off from the shrinking Seulgi. They knew better than to go hard on Seulgi, knowing how sensitive Seulgi gets. If Seulgi needs help getting Eunae, the best way to teach her is to hold her hand and show her the way.

 

“Oh! Oh!” Wendy’s face lit up with excitement “Invite her for the tour tomorrow.”

 

“That’s a great idea!” Sooyoung clapped in excitement before changing to a deadpan expression. “The tour is gonna be so boring; you have no choice but to talk to her.”

 

“Don’t listen to her, Seul.” Wendy scooted closer, ready to lecture her bestfriend in the ways of love. “Look, if you want to get closer with Eunae you have to take things slow.”

 

“Slow?”

 

“Yeah.” Wendy took a bite of a watermelon. “They think it’s a race like if I don’t ask her out now, someone will ask her out first.”

 

“But it is a race, unnie.” Sooyoung corrected. “Seulgi unnie has four days left.”

 

“4 days is the perfect time to win over her heart.”

 

“I…I don’t know.” Seulgi was unsure, she didn’t have Wendy’s gift of gab, and she could barely string a sentence when she’s in front of Eunae. “I don’t know how to talk to her.”

 

“Seulgi, you know how to talk. That’s it. Don’t overthink it, buddy. Speak to her about the simplest things… like you know…” Wendy pouts thoughtfully. “Hey Eunae, what did you have for breakfast?”

 

“Okay, okay… I think I could do that.” Seulgi nodded, having a little courage.

 

“Because it is. Then when you guys are comfortable, ask for her number.”

 

“I don’t know about that.”

 

“Yes. You do. When me and Joohyun were getting to know each other, I did all the talking, and I felt terrible, you know? That she never gets a chance to talk. But when we started texting, that’s when she kind of open up. But I was patient, and you know nothing can make your heart go crazy than seeing a text from your crush. So, maybe since Eunae is the quiet type, she’ll be more open with you when you text.”

 

“Ohhhh wow.” Sooyoung and Yeri leaned back, completely blown away by Wendy’s game. So, this is how she got the most beautiful girl on campus.

 

“Okay, so I start a conversation, then I get her number… what happens after that?”

 

“Then, you asked her out for dinner.”

 

“Like a date?” Seulgi slowly slumped down her seat. “I can’t do that. I mean not yet.”

 

“Four days unnie, four more days. Well… three and a half days.”

 

“Don’t worry unnie, were going to the beach today and we’re going to help you. And if all else fails, we just have to end up drowning you.”

 

“What?”

 

“JK.”

 

Totally not JK…

 

The buzzing of Wendy’s phone interrupted Seulgi’s thoughts. Three years and Joohyun's message could still make Wendy smile like that. Maybe one of these days she could make someone smile like that too.

 

“Joohyun’s up. I’ll see you guys later. Good luck Seulgi! Fighting Buddy!”

 

Wendy went to the cashier and wowed the dude with her bright smile as she asked for a Styrofoam box. The three looked over at her as she started piling the healthiest breakfast known to man inside that small box.

 

“And the marathon begins,” Sooyoung said as Wendy walked back to the hotel. “So, while they get busy let’s go get your girl.”

 

*

 

“Do you want to say something?”

 

“Hey, don’t mind me.” Nahyun playfully nibbled on her Twizzlers while she chuckled at the sight of her bestfriend picking up shells and pebbles along the shore. But Eunae wasn’t just picking up shells. She was giving each one a thorough inspection, seeing if it passed her visual test before deciding whether to put it in her bag or not.

 

“I’m just trying to figure out what the heck you’re doing.”

 

“It’s hard to explain.” Eunae reasoned out, hoping Nahyun would drop the subject.

 

“Try me.”

 

“Well, ummm…”

 

How could she explain this without sounding like a complete cheesy idiot?

 

“I’m waiting…” Nahyun sighed dramatically.

 

There’s always an advantage and disadvantage to being Nahyun’s bestfriend. Advantage was no one in this world knows her better than her. When jealous girlfriends were ready to put a fight with Eunae for turning their boyfriends into thirsty fanboys it was Nahyun who doesn’t hesitate to throw a punch. Disadvantage was Nahyun was savage as and she had to take the brunt of it most of the time.

 

“Seulgi shii likes to make sand castles.”

 

Eunae was waiting for some crass remarks or some haughty scoff. But when she looked back up at Nahyun gloriously sitting on her lifeguard post, all she could see was her best friend's amused smile.

 

“You really like her, don’t you?” Nahyun said, her voice sounding sweet and sincere for once.

 

“I don’t know how else to describe it.”

 

“You like someone, no need to complicate it.”

 

Eunae let out a defeated sigh, clinging on to the lifeguard chair as she feels like her legs turned to mush from the realization.

 

“It’s just… doesn’t it usually take months or at least weeks for someone to like someone? I didn’t even know her for that long yet…”

 

“Girl,” Nahyun said with a scoff. “You need to lay off on those dramas. Some people take forever to realize they like each other. Some know they’re meant to be the second they see each other. You… well… you’re just one of those lucky ones that knew they liked someone instantly.”

 

Eunae laid her back on the bright orange post, as reassuring Nahyun’s words were, still she couldn’t help but feel like she’s so lost.

 

“What should I do though?”

 

“Just go for it. Start talking to her and see where it goes from there.”

 

Eunae looked up and gave Nahyun a contented smile.

 

“Easier said than done.”

 

“Well, you got to start somewhere. Who knows? She might give you your first kiss…”

 

There’s the savage Nahyun that she knows and love.

 

“OR better yet, maybe this the summer where you finally lose your-“

 

YAH!!!!

 

*

 

“Unnie what are you doing?”

 

“What?” Seulgi asked, her concentration still locked on making the foundation for her castle.

 

“With the sand? What are you doing?”

 

“Oh!” Seulgi pulled out her phone and showed the image of a sandcastle at Sooyoung. The younger girl gave her unnie a sour look. “I was gonna try to make one today.”

 

“And then?”

 

“Ummmm… maybe show it to Eunae?”

 

Sooyoung closed her eyes not willing to see Seulgi and this girl’s failed attempts.

 

“Unnie, what are you five? The girl of your dreams is over there. Can’t you do something cool like sunbathe and listen to music?”

 

“I was gonna say that you go swim, but you can’t,” Yeri said while placing her beach towel on the ground.

 

“You know what? invite her to come with us tomorrow.”

 

“Ohhh yeah.” Yeri jumped in. “Tell her unnie, we’re going on a field trip. I’ll be the bus, and you can ride me all day long.”

 

Sooyoung smacked Yeri at the back of her head, hoping to get rid of those thoughts inside her young mind.

 

“You need to stop reading those fanfics. Like seriously.”

 

“Excuse me… I don’t read ty fanfics.” Yeri corrected Sooyoung. “I read webtoons and speaking of; I need to catch up on my reading. “Yeri splayed comfortably on her towel before she pulled out her phone. “Hello, What does the fox say.”

 

“I just think since she lives around here that she already had been to these places too many times,” Seulgi said with a sigh.

 

“You could go tell her, you and I should make history together… by going to these historic sites.”

 

“You are just on a roll today, aren’t you?”

 

Yeri shrugged like a boss.

 

“She might… but she didn’t go to these places with you. And that’s what’s going to make a difference.”

 

“By the end of our trip, you should totally do this with Eunae, unnie.”

 

Before Seulgi could lean closer, Yeri already pressed her phone screen on Seulgi’s face.

 

“What is thi-“ Seulgi asked as she narrowed her eyes and tried to figure out what she’s seeing. “OH MY GOD!” Seulgi fell back down as the picture couldn’t be clearer. A dark haired girl with her face buried between the legs of a blonde girl.

 

Yeri cackled like the evil gremlin that she is while Seulgi remained paralyzed. The image is drilled in her head.

 

“Geez Yeri, what Saeron see in you, I will never know.”

 

“What Saeron sees, you will never get to see.” Yeri looked at Sooyoung with a haughty smirk and a playful wag of her finger. “Oh look unnie, it’s the lifeguard you want to do Chapter 43 with.”

 

Seulgi looked up and quickly regretted her decision as she sees Eunae heading her way. She was wearing her bright orange lifeguard shorts and white shirt, but she looks so freaking dreamy. And this is one dream that Seulgi doesn’t want to wake up from.

 

“I-I-I-I-I…”

 

“You-you-you…” Sooyoung mocked Seulgi’s poor stammering. “need to do something.”

 

“What do I do? What do I say?”

 

“Eunae hi.”

 

Seulgi jumped back as Eunae was standing behind her. Wasn’t she like 50 meters away 30 seconds ago? God those long legs sure are fast.

 

“Ummm Hi.”

 

“Hi.”

 

“Hi.”

 

Sooyoung and Yeri exchanged confused looks and Sooyoung decided to step in before these two spends their whole morning saying hi.

 

“There are other words other than Hi, you know? Unnie?” Sooyoung pulled Seulgi closer to her, trying to keep the girl’s focus in check. “Remember what you need to do.”

 

“Oh yeah… Hey Eunae, what’s your number?”

 

“What?”

 

Yeri cackled at this gag show. Her unnie's love life is more amusing than she thought.

 

“I-I-I meant did you have dinner already?”

 

That does it… Yeri let it all out in a burst of giggles. Eunae tilted her head in confusion, was she that boring that Seulgi forgot she ate dinner with them in the karaoke?

 

“I- I had one last night with you guys.”

 

“Oh yes! How could I forget?”

 

Seulgi nervously chews on her lips, her palms starting to get sweaty. How come it sound so easy when Wendy was talking about it this morning?

 

“Ask her if she likes webtoons,” Yeri whispered loud enough for Eunae to hear.

 

“N-no.”

 

“Do you like webtoons?!” Yeri took it upon herself to ask.

 

That question caught Eunae off guard. Being a lit major, she definitely read a couple of webtoons here and there. But she’s the type that enjoyed reading articles more than stories.

 

“Ahhh yeah. Ummm… I read… ummm… what was that?” Eunae pouted thoughtfully as she’s trying to rack her brain for the answer “Ah! Fluttering feelings a couple of years ago.

 

“Fluttering Feelings?”

 

For a second there, Yeri looked like she’s been struck by cupid.

 

“Oh my God! The feels!” Yeri was started to fan herself with her hands. “You definitely give me Seol-A feels.”

 

“Seol-A?”

 

“Yeah! Like this cool beauty who fell for- ummm… her? Too bad… it’s discontinued.” Yeri pouted cutely. “But you know what you should read now? What does the fo-”

 

“Shut up.” Sooyoung cuts in before Yeri just made this more awkward than it already is. “Unnie is wondering if you had breakfast already?”

 

“Oh, I did. Some cereals.”

 

“Me too! I ate cereals! And bacon! And sausage! And eggs! And potatoes! And waffles! And congee! I think I ate too much.” Seulgi said clutching her stomach.

 

She looked over to Sooyoung who just shook her head. That’s something you don’t tell the one you’re trying to impress.

 

“Is your tummy okay?” Eunae worriedly asked when she saw Seulgi clutching her stomach.

 

“Yes!”

 

Yaaaahhhhhhhhh!!! She said tummy?!!!!!! How cute is that?

 

“Maybe you need to walk off those extra pounds, unnie.”

 

“What?”

 

“Go for a walk, unnie.” Sooyoung started to shoo them away if she could shove these two awkward love birds out of there.

 

“I ummm… okay? Do you want to go for a walk?”

 

“S-sure?”

 

Sooyoung just facepalms on what felt like the tenth time in the last twenty minutes while Yeri waved happily at them.

 

*

Ten minutes. Ten minutes without a word or anything.

 

Both were just struggling to start a conversation. Wendy was right, she knows how to talk, and she could start a conversation, but why is this so hard?

 

Start simple, Seulgi.

 

“So?”

 

Eunae turned to look over to her and Seulgi forgot what she’s about to say.

 

“Ummm… Did you have to work today?”

 

“Not lifeguard duties. I teach swimming lessons on Thursdays.”

 

“So wait, you’re a lifeguard, and you teach swimming too?” Seulgi said, her jaw on the ground in amazement.

 

“Yeah, beginner level,” Eunae admitted. It was Euijin and Nahyun who are the more equipped ones to handle the s at the intermediate level.

 

Seulgi’s face glowed and softly whispered. “You’re amazing.”

 

“What?”

 

“I mean… that’s amazing.”

 

“Thank you.” Eunae blushed at the compliment. If only she could tell who Seulgi is praising.

 

I just ummm…” Eunae clutched tighter on her bag of shells and pebbles. What would she even say? Here I got you some shells and rocks, enjoy… “Would you like to sit?”

 

“In the sand?”

 

“Oh ummm…” Eunae momentarily forgot that Seulgi is a city kid and city kids see sand as dirt. And city kids definitely do not sit on dirt. She looked around for a better place to sit. A bench? A beach chair? A freaking banana leaf? Anything where Seulgi can sit like the princess that she is.

 

“No. I don’t mind.” Seulgi plopped down in the sand, and Eunae looked relieved before she sat next to her.

 

Seulgi took a nice deep breath, taking in everything. The city is definitely her home, but this place is winning her heart over too. “It’s so nice here.”

 

Eunae have been to countless cities to play volleyball. And even if she admits that the city life fascinates her, in the end, this place will be her home.

 

“It is.”

 

Seulgi looked at Eunae, and Eunae almost jumped off with how close they are, and how seriously lovely Seulgi is up close.

 

“Do you go to school close by?”

 

“Yeah. It’s actually just an hour away. I got to this Christian University. Lady of Perpetual Help.”

 

“What?” Seulgi blinked confusedly. “Perpetual hell?”

 

Eunae bit her lower lip, trying to contain the smile that is about to break her face.

 

“Perpetual HelP…” Eunae says emphasizing the P sound.

 

“Oh, crap…” If Seulgi could dig herself a hole in the ground and bury herself, she already would. “I’m sorry. I’m so sorry.”

 

“No, no… I hear it a lot.”

 

Seulgi looked like she was panicking and Eunae didn’t know what she could say to make Seulgi feel better.

 

“I didn’t mean your school is hell or something. I just heard it wrong.”

 

“No Seulgi shii it’s okay.”

 

It really is… Eunae knows Nahyun calls their school that numerous times.

 

“How about you? Where do you go?”

 

“I go to Haneul.”

 

“H-Haneul?” Eunae’s jaw dropped at what Seulgi had said. She knows all about Haneul. Everyone in this country knows about Haneul, the elites, the chaebols and the politicians and the tuition that is worth a mortgage and a luxury car.

 

Eunae had a tournament before in Haneul, and she could still remember how awestruck the place made her feel. Eunae felt like she was walking around in one of those campuses that you see on TV. It’s ten times bigger than her university, and everything about the place was picturesque from the lush tree line pathways to the neoclassical-inspired architectures. Even the students looked like they are characters out of a drama.

 

She shouldn’t even be surprised that Seulgi goes to one of the most elite and priciest university in the country. Seulgi carried herself in a way that only someone from Haneul could. She’s a walking contradiction, she looks elite, but Seulgi is the sweetest, most adorable and yet most awkward cutie alive. A pang of worry started to hit Eunae, Seulgi must have been surrounded by so many beautiful and talented and rich girls, where does someone like her even stand?

 

She pulled the bag of seashells closer to her, what was she even thinking?

 

“I have been to Haneul.”

 

“You did?!”

 

“Yeah. We had a tournament there last semester.”

 

Seulgi looked completely stunned how could she not even notice this beauty walking around their campus then?

 

“Haneul looked really amazing.”

 

“Thank you,” Seulgi said with an air of pride, but without crossing the boundary to arrogance. “We probably saw each other then and didn’t even know.”

 

Eunae smiled at the possibility of their fate intertwining before.

 

“So, what do you major in?” Seulgi asked, her confidence slowly building by the second.

 

“Oh. Literature. How about you?”

 

“Ummm… performing arts. I don’t know if I can find a job after though. But still I don’t see myself doing anything else but that. Kinda unrealistic, but a girl can dream.”

 

Seulgi smiled sweetly at Eunae that instantly made Eunae smile back.

 

“So, you want to write a book someday?”

 

“Oh what? Oh me? ummm… no. I want to write sports articles.”

 

“Sports articles?”

 

“Yeah. I feel that we read so much about idols, but we never really get a lot of chance to read about athletes. Like what they go through or what their team goes through so that’s why I-”

 

Eunae stopped talking when she caught Seulgi just gazing at her entirely.

 

“I’m talking too much?”

 

“No. You’re perfect.” Seulgi’s lovestruck smile turned into panic as she realized what she just said “I mean you’re good. I mean you’re more than good. I mean- You can keep on talking, and I’ll keep on listening.”

 

Eunae smiled sweetly, playfully tinkling with her bag of shells. Seulgi tilted her head curiously at the plastic bag in Eunae’s hand. She’s been holding it like it got the most precious gems in the world in there.

 

It must be her lunch.

 

“Is that your lunch?”

 

“What?”

 

“The one you’re holding, is that your lunch?”

 

“Oh, this? no…” What should she say? Should she give it to her now? “It’s ummm… some shells and rocks.”

 

“Ahhh interesting.”

 

How can you follow up something about a bag of shells and rocks?

 

“W-would you like to see it?”

 

Did she just ask Seulgi to look at a bunch of rocks? Eunae grimaced in embarrassment as that thought fell on her like a bunch of rocks. (The irony)

 

“SURE!”

 

Both of her heart and head started pounding as Seulgi digs inside the bag and curiously pulled out each shell and rock one by one.

 

How can I say it? I got them for you Seulgi-shii? I got you a bunch of shells and rocks for your castle… Oh God no… please help her to be smooth and charismatic.

 

“They’re pretty cool!”

 

“Would you like to have it?”

 

Wait.. that question came out of nowhere, where did that even come from? Did she just offer to give her bag of shells to Seulgi?

 

Eunae looked at the beach and is seriously contemplating about jumping in the water and swimming as far away from Seulgi as she could.

 

“That’s awesome “Thank you!”

 

“I’m glad you like it.” Eunae finally looked up and saw the way Seulgi’s eyes turned crescent.

 

“I’ll keep this forever!” Seulgi held the bag close to her. “Memories from summer 2017.”

 

Eunae’s feelings went from 0-60 in a heartbeat. From fluttering feelings to a potential heartache. At the end of everything, despite all her efforts, all she will ever be to Seulgi is a part of her memory.

 

“Are- are you okay?”

 

“Huh?”

 

“You suddenly look sad, is something wrong? I didn’t mean to take your shells.” Seulgi’s expression is filled with guilt.

 

“No! No… it's yours. I- got it for you.”

 

Seulgi looked back at the bag. Nobody ever gave her a bag of shells and rocks before. And for her, it’s the sweetest thing in the world. Her friends might throw bull at her a lot, but maybe for once, they’re telling the truth. Maybe Eunae likes her back, and maybe it’s time for her to show Eunae that she likes her too.

 

*

 

“And so, he said that he was getting excited and I asked him what do you mean? And he said-“

 

Eunae had heard Euijin’s countless tales of guys that it doesn’t send shivers down her spine as it did before. It’s like the same , different guys. The rest of the girls are into it, but Eunae had Kang Seulgi in her mind to focus on anything else.

 

She typed Kang Seulgi Haneul University Performing Arts.

 

“Oh my God!”

 

It turned out her gasp came out louder than she thought when the girls turned away from their lunch and Euijin and over to her.

 

“What’s wrong, unnie?”

 

“N-nothing,” Eunae faked a smile, before motioning Euijin to go “Go on Euijin.”

 

“Oh no! I’m not going on.” Euijin said with a wave of her chopsticks “Whatever made you gasp like that is definitely not nothing.”

 

“No seriously, it’s nothing,” Eunae said, but her actions betrayed her when she flipped her phone face down. Her teammates knew her too well, and when they caught her doing that, they exchanged glances before diving to yank Eunae’s phone out of her grip.

 

“YAH! What are you guys doing?!”

 

It was Nahyun, of course, it has to be her who took her phone.

 

“Oh wow… is this teddy bear?”

 

Eunae could only groan in defeat as the rest swarmed over her phone. It’s time like this that makes Eunae regrets being friends with them, as they oohhhsss and ahhhh over Seulgi’s photo.

 

Seulgi was being modest when she said she goes to Haneul. When Eunae clicked the Haneul University page, the first thing that greets her was Seulgi’s gorgeous grin. There is a picture of Seulgi with other students (who could all passed as commercial models) smiling happily behind the infamous Haneul fountain. The photo reminded Eunae more of a poster for one of those coming of age dramas rather than a school’s website. But it’s Haneul after all.

 

“Oh. Your girlfriend is a big time.” Minjae . Unfortunately, Eunae wasn’t amused.

 

“She’s not my girlfriend.”

 

“Not yet.”

 

“Probably not ever.” Eunae put a period on her own romantic dream before she could even start writing it.

 

“Why? What’s wrong?” Sumin asked. Though she could get a bit loopy at times, in the end, it’s Sumin’s ability to picked up how her teammates feel which is why she became their captain no doubt.

 

“Seulgi-shii is… is…” Eunae tried to search her mind for the right word “She’s amazing.”

 

“Well, have you check yourself out? Cause you’re pretty hot too.”

 

That reassurance from Sumin didn’t do her any good. And Eunae knows her friends are just being good friends trying to help her out. Eunae just sunk deeper into her chair, if she knew crushes would be this trivial she would have stayed away, no, run away just from the first sign of it. But if only it were that easy. If only unliking Seulgi is as easy as liking her.

 

“No, I’m serious,” Eunae said once again.

 

“I’m serious too.”

 

“We might not be from Haneul, and we might be from Perpetual Hell.”

 

The girls snickered, and Eunae pretended not to smile but ended up grinning softly.

 

“But we could pretty much kick too. This year we're going to win nationals. We're going to beat Haneul and you’re going to get your girl.”

 

Eunae who looked like she got life beaten out of her awhile ago, finally looked like she crawled out of her slump.

 

“I got to go to my lessons.”

 

“Alright! See you later lover girl!”

 

And as soon as her friends started hooting and hollering, Eunae was regretting again why she’s friends with these nutcases.

 

*

 

“Are you doing swimming lessons too?”

 

The five year old girl paused on combing her bangs and gave the pretty bear looking unnie a quick nod of her head.

 

“Fighting!” Pretty bear unnie said with a pump of her fist.

 

“Fighting!”

 

Seulgi turned to her left and her right, and when it finally dawned on her that everyone in this beginner’s class is around the age of 4-6-year-olds, she realized that this is embarrassing as . Seulgi is around 5’4, 5’5 on a good day but right now she towers over everybody as she sits next to a line of 4-6-year-olds ready to learn how to swim.

 

She really needs to make her mind make the decision for once, instead of letting her heart lead the way. When they separated that morning for lunch, the first thing that Seulgi did was sign herself up for swimming lessons just to get a little bit closer to Eunae (if she’s lucky, she might actually learn how to swim). That thought sounded so romantic in her head, the swim teacher and her.

 

But now she looked like such a complete idiot.

 

Oh God, what have I done?

 

Seulgi let out a groan to the skies. But she’s pretty sure the heavens are facepalming on her epic fail too.

 

Eunae is still not here maybe she could leave before she comes.

 

“Hello, guys!”

 

. It’s too late!

 

Seulgi felt her breath hitched as soon as she saw Eunae. There was something completely different about her today. This must be what they’re talking about when they say aura. It’s like Eunae is giving off a different vibe. She didn’t have that fierceness when she’s playing volleyball, but right now Eunae looks like a gentle fluffball as she greeted the kids with a squishy smile.

 

Eunae looked up and Seulgi immediately saw the confused expression on her face when she saw her. Seulgi just raised her arm up, waving awkwardly and Eunae just smiles back, giving her an awkward wave too.

 

“Seulgi-shii?”

 

“Ummm hey.” Seulgi looked down on her toes, shuffling it around the tiles.

 

“So, you’re the Kang Seulgi on the list.”

 

“Yup. That’s me. I ummm… I didn’t have anything to do today so I thought maybe I could sign up for swimming lessons. I didn’t know that they’re five-year-olds.”

 

“It’s alright.” Eunae shook her head. “Everyone could learn how to swim.”

 

“Ah Yeah!” Seulgi bowed down. “Please take care of me, teacher.”

 

Eunae flashed Seulgi a shy smile before turning over to the kids. Seulgi didn’t know how long it took her to recover from it.

 

*

 

“Are you okay?”

 

She saw Eunae mouthed that question to her on what felt like the fifth time in the last ten minutes. It looked like to Seulgi that she and swimming aren’t just going to click ever.

 

It turned out Eunae wasn’t just a volleyball star and a lifeguard, she also happened to be a pretty damn good swim teacher. If only Eunae wasn’t so darn pretty, Seulgi might have been doing well now. But instead she tense whenever Eunae turns her way, or when Eunae tried to help her float and she almost drowned instead. But Eunae is so patient and helpful that it made Seulgi want to try even harder.

 

“Okay, since we learn how to do flutter kick, with your kickboard, you’re going to the other side of the pool. Let me show you first and then you guys can do it after.”

 

“Oh wow!”

 

All the five year old’s eyes turned to hearts as they watch Eunae do flutter kick all the way to other side of the pool.

 

“So, are you guys ready?”

 

“Yes!”

 

“Who wants to start?”

 

“Bear unnie wants to go first!” Shouted the bucktooth kid.

 

“What?” Seulgi waved her hand and shook her head, anything to convinced them that she’s not up for it. “N-no thank you.”

 

“C’mon unnie! C’mon!”

 

“BEAR UNNIE! BEAR UNNIE! BEAR UNNIE!”

 

The whole class started chanting and if Seulgi could run away now, she already would. But she looked back at Eunae who now has that smile on her face and since when did Seulgi ever been so defenseless?

 

“Okay I guess.”

 

*

 

“Okay guys, everyone did so awesome today so let’s give everybody… let me see…” Eunae narrowed her eyes playfully as the kids looked at her in anticipation. “50 claps.”

 

50 claps was a challenge but they did an excellent job doing it.

 

“So, tell me what are some of the things that we learned in swimming today?” Eunae pursed her lips to keep herself from smiling. “Yes Seulgi-shii?”

 

She called out Seulgi who is raising her hand like an enthusiastic student.

 

“I learn how to do flutter kick.”

 

Eunae’s lips slowly curved in a lovely smile.

 

“That’s awesome to hear, Seulgi-shii. Anything else?”

 

Seulgi looked around the students who are busy shouting different things, she raised her hand again.

 

“Seulgi-shii?”

 

“I learn how to float.”

 

“Good job, okay another one. Yes?” Eunae called out a skinny little girl raising her hand happily. “Yes Bomi?”

 

“I learned that Bear unnie likes to look at Teacher Eunae!”

 

“KYAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!” All the five year old girls started squealing on her expense.

 

Seulgi’s jaw almost hit the tile floor from the impact, she turned over to Eunae whose face was now blushing a dark shade of red.

 

“Is she your girlfriend?!”

 

“W-what?”

 

*

 

Eunae had just returned the last of the kickboards when she heard the children’s giggles by the pool area. She walked back and saw Seulgi in the kiddie pool along with her young “classmates” playing a game of Marco Polo. Seulgi with her eyes closed waddling around while the kids are giggling all around her.

 

Eunae leaned on the door post of the supply room and just let time pass by as she watched Seulgi.

 

Eunae had been single since birth, but that doesn’t mean she didn’t get proposals and confessions. When she plays, she constantly heard people screaming I love you Eunae. In school, she would get these endless confessions. They would tell her whatever romantic crap they hear on TV, and hope that she’ll fall for it.

 

And then, there’s Seulgi. The girl who could barely start a conversation with her. But, here she is, making Eunae’s heart flutter by the simplest things, the poster, the way she looks at her and now this enrolling in swimming lessons. Seulgi might not say those three words but Eunae felt it more than from those people who scream I love you until she’s deaf.

 

So, if Seulgi was willing to go through such lengths just for her, maybe it’s time that she show Seulgi how much she feels for her too.

 

*

 

“Here you go…”

 

Seulgi turned around just at the right time when Eunae placed a towel around her.

 

“T-thank you.”

 

“You’re welcome.”

 

They both stared out at the horizon. Somehow sunsets here looked more picturesque than they do back home. Seulgi always the type who appreciated beauty took out her phone, hoping to capture the gorgeous sight in front of them.

 

It was almost closing time and the chaotic scene earlier was almost like a thing in a past, with how peaceful the place is now. She and Eunae were the only ones left, but both of them are not in any rush at all. They sat by the poolside, their feet splashing in the water, while they sat in silence.

 

“Did you have fun?”

 

“Oh yeah! I did. Ummm… I get to learn how to swim, I made new friends, even though they’re just 5 and 6 and ummm…”

 

Eunae looked at Seulgi waiting for her to finished. But she had no idea that with just her gaze, Seulgi is easily rendered helpless.

 

“I forgot.”

 

“That’s okay. As long as you had fun.”

 

Seulgi thanked her with a smile. Before being reminded of what she had to do today. She took a deep breath, hoping to in as much courage as she could before she say it.

 

It was now or never.

 

“So, ummm Eunae.”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Wendy book this tour tomorrow to visit some sights around. I was wondering if you ummm… if you have nothing to do maybe you would like to come with us. But only if you would like to, you don’t have to go if you don’t want to, but…”

 

“The temples? Oh… I haven’t been to those places since high school.”

 

“Oh.”

 

“Yeah. I heard they have like some cool shops lined up around the riverbank now, so yeah I would love to go.”

 

Seulgi’s jaw drop out of excitement. “Really?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

They exchanged shy smiles before they turn back at the sky, the orange tinge was giving way to the darkness now.

 

“Hey… I might get in trouble for saying this, so just keep it between us.” Eunae said to her, her tone playful.

 

“Hmmm?”

 

Eunae narrowed her eyes teasingly at Seulgi before she said, “You’re my favorite student.”

 

“Really?!” Seulgi sounded genuinely excited. “I thought I was the worse there.”

 

“You were willing to learn. Here.” Eunae handed her a piece of lollipop.

 

“Wow… thank you. But why?”

 

The beautiful life guard/ swim teacher/volleyball star just flashed her one of those cute, squishy smiles where Seulgi is just dying to pinch her cheeks.

 

“Just cause…”

 

Seulgi could feel her heart beating so fast and her mind going in absolute overdrive. And for once in her 21 years of life, her heart and her mind agreed on the same thing.

 

KISS HER GOD DAMN IT!

 

What? No… The negative voice inside of Seulgi said. You just met her three days ago, now you’re trying to hook up with her? Imagine what she’ll think of you. She’ll probably say you’re just in it to get inside her pants.

 

But then, her mind told her to look at Eunae. Eunae looked like she got caught doing something indecent before she turned away. What Wendy said during breakfast suddenly echoed inside her head. She can’t recall it word for word but basically…

 

It doesn’t matter how much they like each other, if no one makes a move, nothing is going to happen.

 

This is it… screw everything. She likes Eunae and what happens after the kiss, if she get slap or kick. She will take it, at least she tried.

 

“Eunae?”

 

“Hmmm?”

 

Seulgi leaned in closer, ready to capture her lips. Her heart was pounding so hard it felt like it’s going to break out of her ribcage and her mind is experiencing a complete mental breakdown.

 

But still they kept chanting. Kiss her. Kiss her. Kiss her. Kiss her. Kiss her.

 

Unfortunately, Seulgi’s stomach had other plans.

 

Because before their lips could meet, Seulgi’s stomach let out a rumbling noise loud enough to be heard in the neighboring town.

 

“Ummmm…”

 

Eunae pursed her lips together in a sad attempt to hide her smile. Seulgi clutched on her stomach before finally deciding that this would be a good time to drown herself.

 

But before she jumped, Eunae spoke up ultimately saving her life once again.

 

“Do you want to go grab something to eat?”

 

“What?”

 

“Swimming can make people hungry, ummm… if you like seafood there’s this place by the beach that’s like the best in town. You get to pick it then they’ll cook it for you.”

 

“Wait?” Seulgi’s eyes shot open in fright. “They kill them in front of me?”

 

“Oh! You don’t have to look. Or ummm… we could go somewhere else?”

 

“No. Seafood is great!”

 

Eunae smiled before reaching out to pull Seulgi up. And here is Seulgi’s heart again about to jumped out of her chest in excitement.

 

She’s holding Eunae’s hand! She’s holding Eunae’s hand! Calm down, Kang Seulgi, calm down, she might feel your pulse.

 

If only Seulgi knows that Eunae’s heart is racing just as fast too.

 

Eunae’s fingers are so long and slim. NO! NO! NO! NO! Seulgi shook her head, trying to defend herself by saying that she isn’t a ert. So, what if Eunae’s fingers are long and slim? Yeah… it’s perfect for… holding hands.

 

Her hand is damp with sweat and it must still be pruney from swimming. Seulgi looked away from their linked hands before looking over at Eunae. It seemed like it didn’t matter at all to Eunae, in fact, her hold on Seulgi’s hand grew tighter.

 

She expected Eunae to let their hands go, but Eunae still has her fingers linked with her. Seulgi looked up, giving Eunae a shy smile and she felt her heart racing as Eunae smiled back before fiddling playfully with their fingers.

 

Seulgi took another deep breath and mustered all the courage. It was now or never.

 

“Eunae, can I have your number?”

 

TBC 

 

AHHHHHHHH!!!! Idol drama team is done for now. TT But my Diggy/Dgi/Seulana heart will go on. Thank you for reading and commenting and subscribing and voting! You guys are the best! Keep supporting the girls and yup... RV is coming! :)