Day 5

Cake by the Ocean

Eight Months ago, Lucky Strike Café, Haneul University

 

“Wipe your drool, dude.”

 

“What?” The cashier brushed the side of his lip before the barista let out a triumphant snort. “You jerk.” The cashier hissed when this coworker got one on him again. “That was Kang Seulgi, don’t tell me you didn’t even care.”

 

“Oh, I did. But I wasn’t foaming at the mouth like you.”

 

“She was so ing hot and she was staring at me.”

 

“Because she was placing an order, you !”

 

But the cashier was convinced that their little moment is something more.

 

“I think she got the hots for me, dude.”

 

“Dude, what are you on? She’s the freaking Ace of Haneul, I seriously doubt that.”

 

It’s been a good five minutes that Eunae has been waiting patiently just to order her ice tea. She’s beginning to think that this is a bad idea, but she read in Yelp that Lucky Strike is the best place in Haneul University to get the best cold drinks and that their Arnold Palmer is to die for. She’s lucky that her team is able to compete in the Nationals and come to a place as unbelievable as Haneul University. She might as well wait it out because who knows when she’ll even be back here.

 

If this was Nahyun or Minjae who is in her spot, they’ll be ready to raise hell from this terrible customer service. But she wasn’t them, she was Jo Eunae who had the patience of a sea turtle (granted that sea turtles are patient). This must be the Seoul kind of customer service. And if she’s going to be honest about it, it was amusing to see these two guys bickering over this Kang Seulgi.

 

She spun around to the source of this argument and watch this infamous girl walked out of the café. She already had her back turned and Eunae didn’t get a chance to see her face. But her back, from her long legs and slim body and flowing dark brown hair looked like she was worthy of all this fuss.

 

This time the cashier is mumbling about asking Seulgi out if he sees her, and the barista continued to on his friend’s or more of coworker’s fantasy.

 

Eunae shrugged it off before watching the two continue arguing. It’s not like she’s ever going to see this girl Seulgi again anyway.

 

*

 

To say that Eunae has zero dating experience would be the understatement of the century. If you base it on just her looks you will think that she’s playing with you. She’s tall and gorgeous, someone who looks like her would have been dating. Some would even assume that she’s “experienced” in other things.

 

If they only knew…

 

It’s not like Eunae hadn’t gone on a date before. She had but the experience was so bad, Nahyun counted it more as a negative than an experience.

 

When the volleyball sunbaenim tried to get fresh with her during their date, Eunae fell off the chair from trying to get away before making a mad dash for the doors.

 

So, if people asked her what the status of her and Seulgi is, she’ll tell you that she doesn’t know. She thinks of Seulgi 24/7, just the thought of her makes her giddy, she’s tongue tied, she got butterflies. And after reading articles, she could confirm that she has the symptoms of someone who has a huge crush on somebody.

 

But where do they go from there?

 

They level up to hand holding and given how awkward Eunae is when it comes to physical contact, that’s a feat worth celebrating. But other than that, she really has no idea what’s the next step is. The idea of them going on their first date was both exhilarating and nerve wrecking at the same time.

 

And that’s why she’s in Euijin’s room in the first place. Eunae was never the type to hold grudges. Even if she should probably strangle Euijin for making her the laughingstock among her friends for at least a week (or until Dohee gets in another freak accident); she knows that if there is someone who knows what to do on a date, it’s the serial dater herself, Hong Euijin.

 

And Euijin was more than willing to help…

 

“So, first things first…” Euijin paced back and forth, tapping her chin thoughtfully as she’s more than willing to educate her bestfriend about love. “First impress- wait… are you writing this?”

 

Eunae lowered her notebook to her lap, blinking surprisingly at Euijin.

 

“Yes?”

 

“No girl!” Euijin almost came close to ripping Eunae’s precious notebook to shreds. “You don’t write these things!”

 

Euijin mini outburst didn’t bode well for Eunae’s nerves, making her jumpier than ever.

 

“B-but how can I remember it? If I don’t write it?”

 

“What else have you written in there?!”

 

“I ummmm…” Eunae chewed on the cap of her pen nervously. “I… I talk with her bestfriend and asked what she likes so I was ummm…”

 

Euijin jumps on her bed and starts to leaf through the pages before mumbling, “Let’s see here… Seulgi likes dumplings, ramen, pringles, arts, singing, and dancing.”

“She loves dumplings so I’m planning to take her to that Chinese place by the bookstore… or maybe I should take her for ramen first then dumplings for later? I really don’t know... or maybe I should start with the art street.”

 

Eunae hurriedly pulled out her phone, skimming through the yelp reviews of different art galleries around town.

 

“I was looking online at some places and there is one by some local painter and it got good reviews so maybe… I could take her there. But I don’t know much about art, so I just have to read about-“

 

Euijin reached out for her hands, giving her hand a soft squeeze.

 

“Eunae…Eunae…”

 

“What?“

 

Eunae looked up worriedly, but the sympathetic look on Euijin’s crescent eyesmile helped ease her.

 

“Relax… I think Seulgi-shii would like to hang out with you more rather than just look at paintings.”

 

Just like that, the worries came coming back again.

 

“But I’m… I’m not very fun to be with. What if she thinks, oh she’s so boring… why did I waste my vacation day with her? There are more fun girls in Seoul than her… why did I even bother?”

 

“Here you go again with your negative thoughts. If Seulgi-shii thinks about those things about you, don’t you think she would have moved on from you by now?”

 

“You-you’re right.”

 

“And I’m going to let you in on a little secret.”

 

Euijin’s pretty smile quirked mischievously, “I saw the way she looked at you. During that time in the restaurant, and the time in the tournament and today in the tour. It actually makes me jealous.”

 

“What? Why?”

 

“It’s like she had never seen anything so beautiful. Like when you’re there, no one else is around. And I’m not kidding. I’m not gonna go all Nahyun or Minjae unnie on you and make up like that. I swear… she really, really likes you.”

 

Eunae who was trying to contain her smile the whole time, finally succumbed to her emotions and grabbed on Euijin’s pillow and tries to suffocate her high pitch squeals.

 

She’s usually a master of controlling her emotions but even she had no defense against this thought. Who does? When you know that the one you have a crush on actually likes you?

 

“W-wait?” Eunae lowered the pillow as another negative thought crawled inside her mind. “But she didn’t say anything to me yet. What if-”

 

“Girl!” Euijin cups her best friend's shoulder, hoping to shake away any negative thoughts in there. “Trust me she likes you, and besides she saw you caffeinated already and if she’s still staying with you after that, then she obviously likes you.”

 

“YAAAAHHHH!!!!!”

 

*

 

Eight months ago, Haneul University Crossroads

 

“Damn that …” Yeri mumbled under her breath as her gaze was instantly magnetized on the amazing backside of one of the volleyball player walking a few feet away ahead of them.

 

This was one of the best things about National tournaments. There is only so much you can take with the girls in Haneul, but Nationals brings in the loveliest girls from all corners of this country. And this National Volleyball League is definitely something to be thankful for, because for one whole week beautiful, tall long legged angels come to their school to play the most heavenly sport of all.

 

“Geez Yeri, subtle much?”

 

“What? You have to admit it…”

 

Seulgi and Sooyoung’s eyes drifted on the group of girls in their forest green and white uniforms. Their bodies looked so stunning even from the back. They were all divine, but Seulgi’s attention was on the dark haired one walking at the farthest left. She couldn’t see her face, but there was something quite swaggy about the way she walks and carries herself, and Seulgi had to look away when even she had to admit to herself what Yeri was saying before.

 

She really got a y gluteus maximus…

 

Then Seulgi got a chance to see her last name on her uniform, when the raven haired player, pulled her hair up and tied it in a messy bun.

 

JO

3

 

“Hey unnie, we’re going to the student center, remember?”

 

“Oh.” Seulgi stammered embarrassingly as she almost tripped while trailing behind the volleyball team. She spared one last glance as they split path by the intersection. She and her friends are going left to the student center, while she and her team head to the right over to the university gymnasium.

 

She just chuckles lightly before returning her attention to her friends, brushing away that moment of weakness. It’s not like she will ever see Jo number 3 again.

 

*

 

“Are you watching ?!” The bed creaked as Yeri jumped into the bed, trying to peek on what Seulgi has been watching so intently for over an hour. In Yeri’s defense, the only time she sees people that focus is when they’re watching something that they shouldn’t watch.

 

Yeri quirked an eyebrow as she saw Seulgi watching a youtube video on the basics of volleyball. “Oh, you want to play volleyball now?”

 

“I think volleyball is an amazing sport.”

 

“It’s not volleyball that she’s interested in,” Sooyoung pointed out as she wiped her face with a makeup remover. “It’s a certain player.”

 

Seulgi bounced up on the bed, huffing in frustration with her phone in her hand.

 

“Eunae loves volleyball, so tomorrow on our date, at least I could talk to her about it.”

 

“I know that you haven’t been on dates a lot of times, unnie. But I doubt Eunae wants to talk about the basics of volleyball.”

 

Seulgi fell back in the bed with a huge groan.

 

“But what I’m going to talk to her about?”

 

“Talk to her about yourself, unnie. OH! OH! OH! OH! OH!” Yeri started hopping like an excited little monkey. “We should practice!”

 

Seulgi turned her head to the other side, “Practice?”

 

“I can’t believe I’m actually agreeing to this but I think that will help.”

 

“Oh!”

 

Yeri shrieks in excitement that for once, someone recognized her genius ability. She jumped out of bed, scribbling quickly on a piece of paper before tearing it up and holding a drawing of a Neanderthal to her face.

 

“What the are you doing?”

 

“To make it more believable, I look like Eunae.”

 

“That looks nothing like her!” Seulgi felt offended that Yeri couldn’t even draw close to how glorious Eunae is.

 

“You never know, this can be her no make up face.”

 

“Seriously?”

 

“I just base it on your no make up face, unnie.”

 

Sooyoung made the effort to step away from her gorgeous reflection and ripped the paper away from Yeri’s face.

 

“Throw it before I throw you.”

 

Yeri lowered the paper with a snort, before turning over to a scowling Seulgi.

 

“Fine… fine… I will. Okay, Seulgi unnie. You’re ready?”

 

“Oh. We’re doing it now?”

 

“No. when were asleep…” Sooyoung said in a deadpan voice. “YES! WE ARE DOING IT NOW! So, where are you two going to meet?”

 

“She’s going to come by the hotel tomorrow around 10.”

 

“Okay… so let’s take it from the top. Yeri, you’re going to pretend you’re waiting in the lobby, while Seulgi unnie you’re coming down from the elevators.”

 

“Okay, I think I got it.”

 

“Go to the restroom to make it more believable.” Sooyoung shooed Seulgi away, while Yeri quickly tapped in her theatre girlfriend roots and started acting all fidgety like she’s actually nervous for a date.

 

“Okay, come in now, unnie.”

 

“Seulgi unnie!” Yeri jumps out of her seat and bowed deeply, quickly throwing Seulgi out on a loop. Seulgi looked over to Sooyoung for help, but Sooyoung just raised her hands as she backs off.

 

“Don’t look at me, I won’t be there tomorrow.”

 

“B-but… ummm… Hi, Eunae-yah.” Seulgi raised her right arm and awkwardly wave it like she’s suffering from carpal tunnel syndrome.

 

“Eeeehhhh Eunae-yah… how chweeetttt…”

 

“Get back in character, Yeri… and unnie…” Sooyoung lowered Seulgi’s hand down. “Tomorrow, don’t wave.”

“Should I bow instead?”

 

“Yeah but don’t bow like you’re about to break in half. Just a little tilt of the head and then…OH! you know what you should do?” Sooyoung snapped her finger at her brilliance. “You should tuck your hair behind your ear.”

 

“Really? Why?”

 

Seulgi and Yeri exchanged confused looks at Sooyoung’s suggestion, but it’s Sooyoung and 50 percent of the time her ideas work. Maybe this is one of those 50 percent.

 

“Don’t question it. Just do it.”

 

Seulgi in another deep breath before trying, “Ummm hi, Eunae.”

 

Even Yeri was momentarily stunned when Seulgi flashed that sweet, shy smile and tucked in her hair.

 

“Oh Hi… Seulgi- unnie.”

 

Seulgi glances over for help with a lost look on her face.

 

“Then after that compliment her about how she looks.”

 

“Oh ummm, you look beautiful tonight.”

 

“You too, unnie,” Yeri added. “Your eyes are very monoliddy today.”

 

“What the is monoliddy?”

 

“What? I can’t think of a compliment right now.”

 

Sooyoung just gives herself a face palm, either that or she gives Yeri a slap in the face.

 

“Fine. Unnie, since you’re older you have to be the one who starts and stirs in the conversation.”

 

“Ummm okay, ahhh… so, any place you would like to go today?”

 

Yeri then placed her hands on Seulgi’s shoulders before sharply turning her to face her. “The only thing I want to do is make love to you my honey bear.”

 

Yeri’s ad lib was enough to turn Seulgi into a blubbering mess.

 

“Okay… this ain’t going to work, Now let’s move on to what you’re going to wear tomorrow.”

 

Seulgi’s eyes shot wide open when that thought hit her.

 

“I don’t know what to wear!”

 

*

 

“How does this look?”

 

Sooyoung and Yeri exchanged annoyed sighs before turning back to their unnie once again. This was the 6th outfit in ten minutes. Somehow it’s not clicking to Seulgi of the effect she have on people. She could be wearing a trashbag with twigs and dirt on her hair and people would still grovel at her feet. On campus, Seulgi would go to school in a shirt, jeans, Stan Smiths and backwards cap and her reputation skyrocketed to girl crush material. You don’t even want to know what happened when she wore a leather jacket…

 

“I was gonna let you borrow my clothes unnie, but I think it’s going to be very loose around your chest.”

 

Sooyoung made sure she heard Yeri’s rib crack as she gives her a sharp elbow.

 

Seulgi fell back in bed with a deep sigh, clutching the clothes in her hand. If she only knew she was going to meet the most amazing, most beautiful and (cutest when she’s caffeinated) girl in the world, then she would have packed more clothes. Now she deeply regrets packing the day they were about to leave.

 

“Unnie, you are overthinking again,” Sooyoung said as she began to start her ten step nightly routine. “You can wear that yellow crop top, it’s good.”

 

Seulgi just answered with another sigh before checking on the time.

 

“Maybe there are some stores open around here, I think I’ll just go get to buy one.”

 

“Oh! I’ll go with you, unnie.” Yeri scrambled out of the bed, reaching for her pouch.

 

“I’ll pass,” Sooyoung said as she’s deep in step 3. “Send me pictures though.”

 

“That’s a good idea. We don’t want to scare the locals with your no make up face.”

 

The eating smirk on Yeri’s lips didn’t last long when a pillow flew straight to her face.

 

*

 

“Seul?”

 

It must have been the 4 hours of sleep because Wendy swore her eyes were playing tricks on her. It was around 8 am and after her morning jog, she went over to the hotel buffet to grab some toast and coffee when look who’s here? It was her sleepyhead bestfriend who’s up and about this early.

 

“Oh Wendy, hey.”

 

Wendy joined her at her table, and she could immediately pick up that something was wrong when she still sees Seulgi’s plate untouched.

 

“Are you okay?”

Seulgi inhaled shakily before nodding, “Yeah. I just… I couldn’t sleep last night.”

 

“Those two bothering you?” Wendy asked while buttering up her toast.

 

Seulgi shook her head before adding. “I’m nervous about today I guess.”

 

“Oooohhhh!” Wendy’s brow bobbed in excitement “It’s your big date! But that’s completely normal. I was nervous too.”

 

“I just don’t want to screw up and knowing me I will probably do.”

 

“Nooo… don’t think that. Go eat you need to have the energy for your date.”

 

Seulgi takes a huge breath before chewing on a waffle thoughtfully. 

"I wonder why I'm worrying like this?"

 

"Huh?"

 

"You know I hardly get nervous when I go on stage, but right now, I felt like my nerves are getting the best of me."

 

Wendy smiled softly, she knew what the symptoms of it were, but she would rather have Seulgi try and figure it out.

 

“So, how did you know that you’re in love with unnie?”

 

“Huh?”

 

“Like when did you know that this is it, I’m in love?”

 

It was a question that Wendy had never pondered the answer to. She stirred her black coffee while that question still plays inside her mind.

 

“Wow… I don’t actually know.”

 

The bacon fell off Seulgi’s mouth in surprise.

 

“Wait? What? Really?”

 

“It just… it just happened you know. I thought she was amazing so I asked her out, then when we started going out I learn more and more about her and I guess I was falling in love… oh… no… no… now I remember…”

 

Wendy leaned back in her chair, a gorgeous smile on her lips as the sweet memory fleets through her mind.

 

“Remember during freshmen year, we celebrated New Year’s Eve in Sooyoung’s villa. I think me and Joohyun were probably dating for like four- no five months then. We were by the pool and we had sparklers and Joohyun, she’s scared of everything but once she got the hang of it, she started laughing, that laugh that she had.” Wendy sighs dreamily before adding. “So, she was just looking at the sparklers and I looked at her and I felt everything starting to make sense… it’s like that very moment, you knew that this is the person you want to be with forever.”

 

Wendy turned over her bestfriend who watched her with awe, the fork still halfway through .

 

“I said to myself, wow, I’m in love. And after that, everything that Joohyun do, I just keep falling more and more in love with her.”

 

“Wow…”

 

“But! That’s my story, yours and Eunae would be totally different. But you’ll know it. When it hits you. You’ll know.”

 

Seulgi had a feeling that it already did.

 

*

 

The piece of paper trembled in Eunae’s grip as she read her outline nervously. She remembered before when she was still trying to write, her teacher told her to make an outline to have more direction on her work. It will make you feel like you’re in control instead of having these scattered thoughts.

 

That’s why last night after working with Euijin on dates, she spends the entire night making an outline of their date. She probably went through a tree worth of paper just until she was satisfied with the result.

 

It was supposed to help her feel in control but that’s the last thing she feels right now.

 

She was waiting out in the lobby, brushing through her notes.

 

“Tell her hi, tell her she looks good, ask her how was her sleep.” Eunae mumbled it into memory. She breathe in and breathe out, breathe in and almost screech out an exhale when Seulgi was standing right in front of her. Looking so glorious in her flowery dress.

 

“Oh! Seulgi unnie!” Eunae stuffed the paper as quickly as her trembling hands could back inside her bag before she reached out for the bouquet of wild flowers she bought for Seulgi. “I ummm… this is for you.”

 

Eunae instantly gulped nervously when Seulgi’s expression looked stunned at the bouquet.

 

“U-unnie?”

 

“Omo! I didn’t get you anything!” Seulgi groaned.

 

“N-n-no… don’t worry about it.”

 

“I’ll get you something later.”

 

“No… really. I’m okay. You don’t have to get me anything.”

 

“A-are you sure?”

 

“I’m positive.”

 

Her soft smile seems to work when Seulgi smiled back.

 

“Are you ummm… ready to go?”

 

Seulgi’s eyes disappeared as she smiled. “Yeah.”

 

*

 

“Wow…”

 

Seulgi’s expression looked similar to a child in a toy store as she stood at the crossroads of the Art Street. This place completely flew through Eunae’s mind but were instantly reminded of it as she was browsing the web last night. It was a project of the fine arts students from a local university a few years ago. They transformed what used to be just an old, dilapidated street into a living, breathing canvas. The walls that were once chipped and grainy are now b with life as different paintings ranging from quirky to the conventional decorated the walls.

 

There’s a picture perfect moment at every corner and Seulgi didn’t waste time capturing it. Eunae couldn’t help but puff her chest in pride as Seulgi continue to ooohhh and ahhhhh at every painting.

 

Seulgi was about to snap a picture of the painting of a little girl carrying a basket when she was captivated by a sight that was more stunning. She smiled shyly, raising her phone and took a picture of the prettiest girl she had ever seen.

 

“What?”

 

Eunae blinked curiously before turning away from the painting as she looked at Seulgi. The other girl has a playful smile gracing her lips, but Eunae didn’t have to think hard to see what happened.

 

“You took a picture of me?”

 

Seulgi nodded before showing off a cocky smirk.

 

“But why?” Eunae whined though she couldn’t do anything about that blush sprouting on her cheeks.

 

“Because…”

 

“Because?”

 

The bravado that Seulgi had earlier had dissipated to thin air as soon as her gaze met Eunae’s, now she’s back to a babbling, mumbling teddy bear mess again.

 

Ithinkyouresobeautiful…”

 

Seulgi’s confession was barely audible and her words sounded more like a jumbled mess, but Eunae still heard every word of it. It still had the power to make her blush more crazy.

 

“Ohhh ummm…”

 

“It’s ummm… okay, right?”

 

Eunae answered with a shy nod.

 

“Good!” Seulgi’s smile was back once again. “You can be my model!”

 

“What?! No!”

 

“Why not?”

 

“It will ruin the view!” Eunae’s voice raised a pitch higher now.

 

“You are the view!”

 

This was the side of Seulgi that Eunae find irresistible, as Seulgi clicked away and she had no choice but to try to weather the blush on her cheeks.

 

*

 

“Are you hot?”

 

“Hmmm, wha-“

 

Seulgi didn’t get to finish what she’s saying when she felt a breeze on her face, and Eunae fanning her with one of the riverboat brochures.

 

After walking under the blistering summer sun, they finally cooled down and chill with their mango and pineapple shakes as they ride on the ferry boat that takes them on a little tour around the river walk.

 

“You’re sweating…” Eunae said, her voice tinged with guilt. If she knew it was going to be this hot, she would have just taken Seulgi out to the mall.

 

“I ummm… I tend to sweat a lot.” Seulgi mumbled embarrassingly. Oh no… and she styled her hair today too! Now her hair is going to start curling and before she knows it, she looked like she got dipped in water. And her makeup? Sooyoung actually woke up early to put make up on her, now she’s going to look like her face just melted off.

 

Her embarrassment only got worse when Eunae started to brush away the sweat dotted on her forehead with a napkin. If Seulgi wasn’t too paralyzed at the contact, she might have notice how Eunae is trembling too.

 

“Ummm thank you.”

 

“No worries. Don’t worry the next place we’ll go has AC.”

 

“No. I don’t mind! Really I don’t! I like it here.” Seulgi reassured her before she reached for her own brochure and started fanning Eunae back.

 

The two who are fanning each other, than just fanning themselves realized how stupid they might have look. But they brushed it off with a shy giggle before continuing to fan their date.

 

“Thank you.”

 

“Thank you.”

 

*

 

“So, this is the local delicacy.”

 

It’s the first time Eunae saw Seulgi’s eyes just shot wide open like that and she swore she hadn’t seen anything as cute. Seulgi started her lips as the ahjumma placed plates of the local delicacies from the savory noodles, to the barbequed meat to the seafood platter.

 

“Here… I’ll make you a plate.”

 

An embarrassing squeal slipped off Seulgi’s lips as Eunae started to pile food on her plate.

 

Be still my heart! Be still! She’s just fixing you a plate.

 

Eunae picked up a lettuce and start placing the meat and the side dishes.

 

So, this is how it feels…

 

This is how it feels when someone’s world revolves around you. When someone pays attention to your needs. When someone thinks of you before anyone else. It felt incredible and at the same time terribly selfish to want it so badly.

 

She felt that she was being selfish for delighting in this. But the feeling only grew worse when Seulgi realize that she doesn’t want to be just anyone’s world, she wants to be just Eunae’s.

 

“Thank you.”

 

“I hope you like it.”

 

Seulgi is ready to attack her plate when…

 

“I’m so glad you brought your girlfriend here.” The elderly woman chirped in, watching the two in such delight.

 

“Wait?! What?!” Eunae almost jumped out of her seat, her face beet red, waving her hand to hopefully stop her. “N-n-n-no Ahjumma… it’s not like that…”

 

“You always come in with your teammates, that really white girl you guys have-”

 

“Euijin?”

 

“Yes her. She brings someone new every month. I would never have thought I would still be alive to meet someone that you like.”

 

“Ahjumma…” Eunae whined. “She’s not ummm… she’s not my- ahhh… my girlfriend.”

 

“Then what are you waiting for?” She screeched before turning over to Seulgi. “She’s so adorable and so pretty.”

 

Eunae knew that but just covered her face to hide whatever pride she had left.

 

“I should give you a discount so she’s going to say yes to you.”

 

“Ohhhh ummmm…” Seulgi who’s face is just as red too tried to come in. If she only knew that Eunae didn’t even need to ask, she’ll say yes anyway.

 

“This one right here.” The ahjumma cupped Eunae’s sagging shoulders. “She’s the kindest one among them. She’s quiet, won’t give you any trouble. And she’s so beautiful. Are you a s or a girl?”

 

Seulgi’s spoon dropped with an embarrassing clang on the plate.

 

“Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm….”

 

“It doesn’t matter because she has both.”

 

Seulgi thought she heard Eunae cried for her mommy.

 

“So, don’t waste any time and start dating. And since, you choose this place as your first date. Dinner is on me.” She said with a wink before leaving the two to fend their embarrassment.

 

*

 

“Oooohhh… I feel like you’re wasting your memory space on me.” Eunae whined as they skimmed through Seulgi’s image album, filled with pictures and poses from her.

 

“Nope. I’m keeping each one of them.”

 

They just finished up the third souvenir shop along the street. Eunae could tell how caring Seulgi is, as she bought one thing for what Eunae felt was everybody in Haneul University. From her friends, her dormmates, her dance team members, her sunbae and hoobae in the Arts Department, her advisors and mentors, even the cafeteria lady and the security guard. But it wasn’t just that, because Seulgi took the time at each and every trinket, making sure they perfectly match who they’re going to end up too.

 

She saw Seulgi adoring some woven bracelets for herself, but it must be her selfless personality because Seulgi just walked pass it before gushing over the miniature tricycles.

 

They were walking down the streets now and was surrounded by picturesque views on all angles, but all their focus was on Seulgi’s phone as they looked at every picture they took. Eunae is guilty of glancing at Seulgi every once in a while, Seulgi happens to be just as guilty too.

 

Seulgi then leans back, aiming her camera at Eunae. Eunae pouted then out of nowhere flashed some aegyo that Seulgi caught on camera.

 

“Oh my God!” Eunae’s voice raise an octave higher as she reasoned out her action. “Why did I do that?”

 

“W-w-w-what it… it… it was cute.”

 

“Delete it please?”

 

“B-but it’s too cute…I.” Seulgi fiddled with her phone and before Eunae knows it, there it is, her bbuing bbuing face as Seulgi’s wallpaper.

 

The humiliation got to the point that Eunae is contemplating of trying to get run over by a car.

 

“Hey… you look so cute. Would- would- I mean- is it ummm… okay if we take a picture together?” Seulgi took a deep breath and mustering the courage to raise her phone up, hoping to take a picture of her and Eunae together. Eunae turned into a blushing mess, but managed to squeeze next to Seulgi as the other girl pressed click.

 

And to anyone who was watching, wouldn’t see two people as in love as these two.

 

***

 

It was getting closer to 7 pm and the sun is slowly giving way to the moon. Eunae finds herself smiling at every second they spend together.

 

But the happiness is short lived when Eunae felt that something was terribly wrong.

 

Seulgi who had more pep on her step the entire time now look like she’s staggering behind her, slower and slower by the second.

 

She turned over to the girl, her face filled with concern.

 

“Are you- are you okay?”

 

Seulgi clutched her stomach while forcing her head to give a nod. Anyone with a pulse could tell that Seulgi was seconds away from dying.

 

“C’mon… c’mon… just sit down for a bit.”

 

Eunae tugged Seulgi to sit on the sand, and as soon as Seulgi sat, she keeled over, groaning loudly in pain.

 

“Noooo… I’m okay.” Seulgi is clearly not.

 

Eunae quickly jumped on her feet, her lifeguard senses quickly taking over after she saw Seulgi’s face turned paper white in a hot second.

 

“Okay… okay… just wait here, and I’ll get you some hot water and then, I’ll take you home.”

 

“What?” Seulgi was in excruciating pain but she’s not going to let that stop this date. Not even death could stop her. Why? Why does her stomach always her like this? Why can’t her stomach give her her happily ever after?

 

“I’m… I’m okay… I don’t need to- OWWWWWW… I mean… just let me sit down for a bit… I’ll be… Mommmmyyyyy….” She cried out for her mother as her stomach felt like there’s a boxing match going on inside. “But I’ll be Waaaaahhhh… alright…”

 

“Oh my God.” Eunae said worriedly, her guilt doubling knowing it was her fault for inviting Seulgi out to eat all that meat. Her stomach wasn’t probably used to all that.“Okay, just stay here. I’m going to get you some meds.”

 

“B-but don’t leave me.”

 

“You need something. There’s a pharmacy close by. I’ll be back. You know what? here.” Eunae called Seulgi and Seulgi blinked confusedly at the screen before picking it up.

 

“Hello?”

 

“I’ll stay on the line, okay? When you feel really bad, I’ll run back but you just have to stay strong for a little bit. I promise you’ll feel better, okay?”

 

“You promise?”

 

“I promise.”

 

And Eunae couldn’t remember a time she ever ran this fast.

 

*

 

She was back in less than ten minutes with a bottle of water and pepto bismol in her hand.

 

“Hey… hey… I’m here now.”

 

“I stayed strong.” Seulgi said reassuringly though her face looked like she’s about to break in tears.

 

Eunae kneeled in front of Seulgi, smiling before popping open the water bottle and pepto bismol.

 

“I know you are. Here drink slowly.” Eunae lift the cap to Seulgi’s lips before wiping . Seulgi took the medicine like a pro before slumping her head on Eunae’s shoulder.

 

“Thank you.”

 

“Are you sure, you’re going to be okay?”

 

“Yeah?” Seulgi said weakly. “I feel so much be-“ She winced in pain. “I mean better already.”

 

“It’s really okay, unnie. I could take you home and tomorrow you should definitely rest.”

 

“No… no… we will go out tonight and tomorrow.” Seulgi said with as much determination that she could muster.

 

Eunae didn’t know that she had it in her, but she scooted closer, letting Seulgi lay on her lap. If Seulgi wasn’t dying in pain, she would have been dying in giddiness right now.

 

“Just give me five minutes.”

 

“Okay.” Eunae started to coarse her fingers through Seulgi’s hair and Seulgi can’t think of anything this soothing.

 

Maybe too soothing, because in less than five minutes, Seulgi had fallen asleep.

 

Eunae tugged her cardigan off before placing it on the teddy bear sleeping so softly on her lap. She just sat there in comfortable silence, before she pulled her list once again from her bag.

 

A gentle smile lingered in her lips, as she brushed away the strands off hair that fell on Seulgi’s face. But that smile didn’t last long when their days together is quickly ticking by.

 

“Why do you have to be from Haneul? Why can’t there be a Kang Seulgi right here, who’s just minutes away?”

 

She asked right now, knowing she wouldn’t have the courage when Seulgi is awake.

 

“You’re going to go back and I’ll be here thinking so much about you. I’m going to say it now, because I don’t think I would have the guts to say it when you’re awake but ummm… I really like you, Kang Seulgi.”

 

The confession came out shakier than she would have hope, but at least she said it.

 

“Maybe in a few years, if you’ll still remember me then I could move to Seoul. Maybe we could be…or maybe I could be that someone special.” She bit her quivering lower lip, hoping to stop it from trembling.

 

“Or maybe right now, we could try when you go back, I could call you and text and email. I promise I won’t be such a bother, or maybe… you just want this to be a summer fling. And I’m…” Eunae takes a long, deep breath. “I’ll be okay with that. If it’s okay with you, I would like to be a part of you.”

 

Eunae took another long breath before she smiled again in relief. She gently traced her finger along Seulgi’s face, careful not to wake her up, before she leaned closer.

 

“You make it so easy to fall in love.”

 

She softly confessed before leaning over, and laying a kiss on Seulgi’s forehead.

 

*

 

Seulgi nuzzled deeper on her pillow, not even remembering it to be this comfy. She needs to wake up but just give her five more minutes while she dreams of Eunae.

 

Wait… Eunae?!

 

She shot straight up from Eunae’s lap, that she almost crashed her skull on Eunae’s beautiful face.

 

“Ummmm Seulgi unnie?” Eunae blinked in confusion.

 

“D-did I just fell asleep?” Seulgi stammered while she looking around, trying to piece out what had just happened.

 

“Ummmm yeah?”

 

Seulgi’s face twisted in a frown before letting out a groan in frustration. “I’m sooo sorrryyyy…”

 

“Hey… hey… it’s okay. Is your tummy okay?”

 

Seulgi nods softly, her embarrassment making her want to dig a hole in the sand and stuck her head in it Like that Giraffe in Madagascar.

 

“How long did I sleep?”

 

“Around 30 minutes?”

 

It was closer to an hour but Seulgi doesn’t need to know that.

 

Seulgi could only let another howl in frustration, while kicking the sand hoping it was her epic fails that she’s kicking instead.

 

“I’m the worse date ever.”

 

“Nooo… everything was amazing. I really had fun.”

 

“No, you did not.”

 

“Yes I did.” Eunae reassured her. “Are you okay now? I could take you home?”

 

“What? What?” Seulgi shakes her head so fast, Eunae got scared she’ll knock her brain off. “I’m okay now. Really I am!”

 

She never pleaded for anyone this much. She had been whining so much that she didn’t notice what she had in her wrist, she pulled it closer to her as she saw the black and velvet woven bracelet on her wrist.

 

“D-do you like it?” Eunae stammered embarrassingly. “I- I saw you looking at it, but you didn’t get a chance to buy it. So… I ummm got it. I don't know what color you would like. Wait- you like-”

 

“I love it! Thank you! Thank you!”

 

Seulgi threw her arms around Eunae’s shoulders, surprising Eunae. They stayed longer in each other’s embrace before Eunae plucked Seulgi off the ground.

 

“Do you want to walk around?”

 

She didn’t even have to ask.

 

*

 

This wasn’t on Eunae’s list at all. Walking along the beach at night. If she thought about it, the entire date went off from what she intended to do. She had no idea Seulgi would like to take pictures of her, no idea that it be this criminally hot that she had to fan Seulgi, she didn’t know that the elderly woman in the restaurant would play her wingman and she would have never known that Seulgi would suffer a stomachache and pass out on her lap.

 

She might as well just throw the list away.

 

If she only knew that Seulgi who practiced for this night, went off the script too.

 

The entire beach that Eunae patrols always turn to a family friendly destination into a whole different world at night. Tourists flocked the different restaurants and bars while music boomed so loud, the sand tremble on your feet.

 

The both of them easily gets guys attention by the terraces as they whistled and invited the two out for drinks, but as soon as Eunae took Seulgi’s hand in hers, it’s as if the guys got the hint, and could only suffer in silence as they gawked at the two beauties.

 

They continued walking until they reach an area by the fishing boats and the craziness of the beach felt like a whole different world.

 

This felt like their own world once again.

 

They sat down along the pristine beach, with the night sky glimmering above them. Eunae still haven’t let go of their joined hands. They have been holding hands for days yet Seulgi still felt at awe watching their fingers intertwined together.

 

“So, tomorrow?”

 

“Your last day here, right?”

 

“Well… technical… second to the last day. I’m leaving on Sunday. My first day of summer class is on Monday.”

 

Eunae was facing the sea, but Seulgi could see her force a smile.

 

“I hope you had a great time while you’re here.”

 

It was that moment that Seulgi wished she had Sooyoung or Wendy with her. She desperately needed coaching right now, she needed the right words to say. She needed to tell Eunae everything that she feels. But she was never the one for words.

 

So, instead she pulled Eunae’s hand to her lips, placing a kiss on it before pressing it on her cheek.

 

“I don’t think the word great is even enough to describe it.” She confessed.

 

“U-unnie?”

 

Seulgi mustered whatever courage she needed to pull Eunae in an embrace. She felt Eunae stiffened at the sudden contact, but then slowly loosened up even having the courage to wrap her arms around Seulgi’s waist.

 

They stayed like that for a bit, just locked in each other’s arms before Seulgi pulled away and pressed her forehead against Eunae.

 

“Tell me when you come to Seoul, I’ll take you anywhere you want to go.”

 

Eunae nodded softly, “I will… tell me when you come back too.”

 

“I will, but right now I’m here. And right now, we’re together.”

 

She saw Eunae’s gaze lowered to the sand, but Seulgi could still see the shy smile on her lips. Seulgi didn’t know where she got the strength because the next she knew she was drawn in to Eunae. She tilted her head to the side before she tenderly kisses Eunae on the lips.

 

She felt like there is fireworks inside of her, when the butterflies that they have been talking so much about just started doing cartwheels. But at the same time, this is the calmest that Seulgi had ever been. Like everything is finally making sense.

 

Seulgi feel her heart hammering on her chest when she felt Eunae’s breath on her lips before they pull away, both too shy to gaze at each other, yet both couldn’t deny the smile gracing their lips.

 

Their second kiss lingered longer…

 

And on their third kiss, Seulgi was the one brave enough to deepen their kiss, as her tongue slowly slipped between Eunae’s lips. Eunae jolt from the intrusion but then slowly relax as she let her tongue dance along with hers.

 

Eunae pulled away from their kiss, asking breathlessly.

 

“Am I doing it right?”

 

Seulgi nodded, her blush evident on her cheeks, before she asked back, 

“Am I?”

 

Eunae nods back before Seulgi pressed their foreheads against each other. Their eyes locked in a loving gaze, speaking of a million words that their lips refused to say.

 

Seulgi cups Eunae’s cheek before they kiss once again.

 

And as they kiss, it was like everything that Wendy had described but more… so much more. When everything that used to be tangled up and messed up starting to make sense. Seulgi might not know a lot of things but she perfectly knew what she’s feeling right now.

 

But as their kiss grew deeper, and her heart beats faster, Seulgi knew what they were symptoms of.

 

She had been falling in love all along…

 

TBC

 

Thank you authornim for working with me on those date scenes. Lol!

 

And if you guys ask, ummm no. They don't remember each other during that visit. It's more like a thought that they had been around each other, yet didn't know that that person would mean someone special to them someday. Just like D.ana and Seulgi... hehehehe... After fangirling over them so much, I see countless moments before IDOT where they're around each other like I bet they didn't even know then that they'll ever be friends... or... more than friends. hehe! JK!

 

This is Red Velvet's year and Congrats to the girls for wrecking up everything on their path. From their song to their future concert and their reality show. All the patience paid off, now it's really their time.

 

Sonamoo is also making a comeback... IDK if you guys are fans, but Eunae had made me love her and her fellow Pinetree girls. Unlike Red Velvet, they don't have the company or the fans. But they're such talented girls and they deserve all the love. So, please do support them when they come out on August 14.

 

I think that's all the shameless promotion I have for now. kekekekekeekkeke... Thank you for reading!