Prologue II - Of Fate

Chain of Hearts

Mounted, Siyeon was riding through the streets with her guards, among which was Jieqiong being full of gloom. Rena attempted to cheer her same-aged friend up.

“Let me ask you: 2 plus 2 equals what?”

Jieqiong, talkative as she was, was speechless.

“4.”

“No~ It’s 5-1 –“

“Would you like to shut up, please?”

Preoccupied with what she hoped to be mere paranoia, that was all of the politeness Jieqiong could afford. Staring at Rena who was pouting though, she softened up and patted Rena’s arm out of both appreciation and apology. Rena didn’t stop pouting, but Jieqiong didn’t care. She rode faster to catch up with Siyeon, tenderly brushing her back.

“Whatever you do, I’ve got your back. Rena too.”

“Thanks, Jieq.”

It came out of Siyeon’s mouth plain and flat. While she was grateful of her sisters’ support, it also means that Rena and Jieqiong likely had no idea of what she should do as well. Siyeon would have appreciated more if they make the decisions. Instead they chose to be silent and follow, leaving Siyeon at the helm. She used to have that option, back when Nayoung was her advisor. Now Siyeon advises herself, with hesitation, with doubts. Acting strong is her specialty. Being strong is not.

On the other hand, Jieqiong did all she could. She was simple-minded. She talked more than she thought. She couldn’t craft words that can restore the princess’s happiness. But, all she has is her heart. So radiant that can melt a stone, literally (in one way). She would always be the one connecting with others, influencing others. Effective or not, she is going to try.

Rena tend to be more quick-witted. She caught up with them as well, and gave them her two cents.

“Maybe they just capture Kyla to force us to surrender. You know, our walls are not that easy to breach.”

 “Nah…they don’t have to. They intend to keep her, or use her as an extra bargaining chip.”

Empty food caches along the way reminded Siyeon of one important fact. That Lariste is not self-sufficient; it is supported by food imports from other areas of the Kingdom. With them under Myrenii occupation, famine in Lariste was imminent. Even an unfair peace treaty is by all means beneficial; Laristeans cannot hold beyond a month in case of a siege.

Siyeon looked into the depths of the sky, her thoughts finding her way to Nayoung far away.

“What would Nayoung unnie do if she’s in my stead?”

Both Rena and Jieqiong answered faithfully to their own perception of Nayoung.

“Unnie would let them keep Kyla for Lariste’s peace.”

Jieqiong scoffed at it.

“No! She would put Kyla’s freedom before anything.”

Siyeon shook her head to the notion of them bickering in this situation, and facepalmed when they really did argue, pointing fingers at each other and screaming childishly. Siyeon regretted not learning a certain jinx from Nayoung before she left.

The Silencing Jinx. “I would have resorted to slaps if this jinx did not exist.” said Nayoung to Siyeon, who laughed especially because of Nayoung’s uncanny ways of being gay.

“Open the gates.”

Is this gate to salvation of the kingdom or chaos?

 

“So what would you do if you were Siyeon?”

Contrasting what her fellow beagles think, Eunwoo did not have a single clue. It was not the only thing she did not have a clue on; how did Nayoung learn of Kyla’s kidnapping this fast when they were nearly a thousand miles away was one of them. Which was pretty bizarre since Eunwoo was the secretary of Nayoung herself, the Matriarch. Her unnie had many “birds”. Through a massive network, these birds conveyed every piece of information back to the centre of the web – the Pontem, religious core of the world. And sometimes, these information will travel faster than real birds.

Nayoung was still looking at the annoying pile of paperwork on her desk. It was already cut by three-fourths thanks to Eunwoo. She then giggled, having spun her brain already.

“I don’t know…”

Yes. She truly did not, and occasionally, did not even bother to find out. Nayoung did not intend to differentiate between a good decision and a bad decision. Perhaps it would be known in hindsight afterwards. No matter. Nayoung let herself and her subordinates float on a thread of fate. Obsessed on meddling with things beyond her control will lead to nothing. What Nayoung did, and what Nayoung hope Siyeon did, was guiding her people on the segments where she can exert effective influence.

“She just have to choose one. And then, she better prepare for the consequences- what are you doing?”

Eunwoo took out her makeup brush and pointed to the hot coffee Nayoung was drinking. Soon there was no more steam coming out from it. The Cooling Spell.

“This is fate~” Eunwoo, putting on a evil smirk, “Now how would you…prepare for the consequence?”

Nayoung put her hand on her chin, meticulously inspecting Eunwoo’s face. Bare face. A horror that its victim Eunwoo has yet to find out. Nayoung then nonchalantly ordered Eunwoo to continue doing her work, and, for the remaining hour, barely restrained herself from laughing hysterically.

Later, a high-pitched scream spread through the corridor from the toilet. Strangely, Nayoung could not be certain whether that came from Eunwoo or people who saw Eunwoo. Eunwoo could not believe what Nayoung had done to her (and how far she went for revenge).

“Impossible! That abomination was invented by Jieqiong-…Jieqiong!?“

Eunwoo’s confusion came to an abrupt end.

“ugh….This disgusting couple!”

 

With that kid gone, Nayoung returned to the matter at stake. Kyla’s kidnapping. Why would the Myrenii want Kyla? Bargaining chip? No. They had more than enough. They would not risk provoking both Siyeon and me. Is it because of … that? No… they could not have known. And even so, they won’t pick Kyla, she’s the youngest and won’t be too useful on that.

Will it be the last?

It wouldn’t hurt to be careful…yea.

Nayoung placed her hand on her heart solemnly. Her eyes closed briefly, before widening gradually to the limit, her iris turned crystal blue. It’s done. She’s connected.

“Protect , Yewon , Sungyeon”

 

At a distance, two girls are sharing a bread as they were watching the gates being opened. They saw the flag of the princess, and started pondering.

“Sungyeon-ah…where is Siyeon going?”

“I don’t know. She is busy as usual.”

“I think she’s out hunting~ she loves hunting.”

Seen in the eyes and felt by the heart, Sungyeon can tell Yewon is fully a happy bun now. She did not know why in the world this girl can retain her happiness so effortlessly in this circumstance, when they can only eat half a bread for their lunch. Yewon probably love smiling more than living. Sungyeon chuckled at the precious girl. She split her share of the bread into half again, and hand one to her.

“Here. Have more, Yewon.”

“Oh…What about you then?”

“I’m…I’m on diet.”

“No~ You can’t lie~”

Yewon took that half, before forcibly push it into Sungyeon’s mouth. Then a bright smile of satisfaction as Sungyeon choked for as long as Yewon is laughing. They then knew for sure, that the time for sword fighting came. They started swinging the swords. For them, life continued as usual. Yewon was unaware of any incoming threat. Sungyeon…spent too much time with Yewon. They let their guard down.

The children of innocence kept playing, while the window opening widened. The world is not kind to children.