Prologue IV - Turbulent Night

Chain of Hearts

Nightfall. Laristean guards scrambled to search for traces of Yewon and Sungyeon. With torches they illuminated the entire city; if the two were still there, they would find it.

And then, as with all searches, there will always be a corner overlooked. In one such alley of Lariste, two girls were pulling a wooden cart with much caution, sneaking from one lane to another. The two-wheeled cart had wheat all over it, below which could probably hold two persons – indeed, two bodies were lying on the cart. It was the cause of their trembling fingers, which were either on the handle or running through their hair and all the sweat on their foreheads.

“Ah, really.” Doyeon almost spitted the words out, while threatening to burn her partner with her intense glare. “You’re a buster, Jeon Somi…if we’ve waited for the Myrenii to lay siege first, things would’ve been much easier.”

Somi pursed her lips. At one point her lips parted, but as they were evading the guards, it wasn’t a good idea to bicker. They stayed silent for a while, sneaking past the guards (the pockets of light, practically) and seeking for a hideout. Obviously they can’t go back to the tavern. Though, in their limited vicinity, there wasn’t such a place.

In frustration Doyeon lamented again.

“This is totally your blunder-“

“Aish, Kim Doyeon, shut your mouth up before someone heard your blabbering, then it’ll be you botching the contract and we both die!”

That said, Somi was done with Doyeon, the rare person who is as foul-mouthed as Somi herself, and she feel like her defence is due, however hypocritical that may be.

“If my necklace didn’t fall into the house, I wouldn’t have to sneak inside and break that damn glass…”

“Shush-“

“No, I tell you-“

Doyeon slapped her hand on Somi’s mouth; the latter wished she can curse through her eyes of fury. But that was hard. Too hard, that it pushed Somi off the balance. Flat on the ground, Somi could then see the full picture: Doyeon was impaled by a kunai on her shoulder, and the second kunai, Somi deduced, just narrowly missed her own body.

Then the moonlight was gone, blocked by an uninvited person, free falling directly above the two. Despite her pain, Doyeon stood ready and rose against the intruder. Somi could now only look at the ground, where the frightening shadow now has a straight, sharp edge – the katana, violently slashing along with the air against Doyeon’s curved sabre. The two weapons met for a split-second, before the katana effortlessly overpowered the other and slammed Doyeon onto the ground.

Somi cushioned her fall and, just having been glad that she could be of use, was soon distraught by the force of Doyeon’s collapse. A quick look at her face confirmed her concerns; blood was seeping from the gaps of Doyeon’s pronounced lips, her eyes dishearteningly closed. Somi had no choice but to lay her comrade down, and face this mysterious adversary alone. Clearly though, she had no chance of winning, and can almost feel that the woman in front of her were grinning.

Before she can pull out her signature weapon, a pair of lethal chakrams, another person appeared out of nowhere, joining the two in the middle. The perplexed look stayed on both face for ten seconds, until she finally spoke. Contrary to what they think, the voice of this girl gave off innocent vibes.

“uh…excuse me,” She was speaking to the one with the katana.

“Are you Kim Minkyeong? Oops no, Minkyung? Or is it Mingyeung?”

Even more shock to the katana girl, while Somi had no idea who in the world is Kim Minkyung. Though, the girl nodded emotionlessly, failing to notice the difference between all the names she said.

“Oh.” A discreet smile. “Then…umm…I’m sorry? I guess that’s what I should say.”

Ironically, she seemed the most clueless there. All of a sudden, she propelled herself towards Minkyung like a barrage of wind. Minkyung raised her katana, then it broke. In fragments, it fell on the ground, and all that’s left was the grip grabbed by Minkyung’s slender fingers. Refused to be overwhelmed by the shock, she threw away the grip and reached for the remaining kunai. That was when she wasn’t aware that now the wind is getting ahead of the flying girl, and in the next blink of her eye the storm came splashing. Minkyung got blown away and crashed against the wall behind her.

The victor closed in and examined Minkyung and was fairly sure she was knocked out. She smiled, to the extent that when she turned around to face Somi, the latter was reminded of some creepy faces she saw in a comic titled Assault of Titan. Though, it must have been the lack of light. When Somi concentrated, and the girl’s face less expressive of her satisfaction, she realized the girl was strangely adorable.

“Well…that should be good enough…can’t kill her now, can we?”

“Who…are you?”

“Ah….you don’t know me? I mean, the-” It was only by then did the girl realize that Somi did not know the plan of her… employer.

“Hehe. I must have made a mistake. Here.” The girl threw Somi a map.

“X marks the spot. Doyeon will be okay, she’ll heal herself. Just focus on keeping Yewon and Sungyeon safe…wait.” The girl glanced at the cart and all the wheat, then looked right into Somi’s eyes.

“Don’t tell me you killed them.”

“No, of course!” Despite the girl not really looking older and like someone that demands respect, Somi found herself naturally speaking in honorifics. Too spooked by the power she demonstrated.

“Oh…anyway, I’m on your side. Hush now.”

Somi obeyed. She put Doyeon beside the two sisters, and left with the cart without asking any more questions. She was curious but apparently, the entire city was looking for her. The girl she left though, calmly approached the unconscious Minkyung.

“You’ll be okay. Just wait for…ugh…who is that, Kyungwon unnie? Must be a sweet union~” The girl scratched her head for the nth time today. Soon she yelled into the night sky as loud as she can, before disappearing in thin air.

The employers of this mysterious girl were watching above. Directly above, in the place one would call: heaven. Covered by a mist of peace and tranquillity, with its residents meddling in the matters of the world through agents like that one girl. One of them seemed gratified of her performance, the other was far from that.

“Sohye’s in fine control of her newfound powers. I’d say she’s completely out of your expectation.”

“Completely, yes. That doesn’t mean she’s good by my standards. She’s a fool, frustratingly lack of wits.”

“But she’s cute.”

 

By Sohye’s scream, Kyungwon soon found Minkyung leaning against the wall. It has been 7 years.

The dim environment did not mask Minkyung’s face from Kyungwon; after all, that is the one person she would never forget. Same as 7 years ago, her hair was untied, scattering over her pale face. Kyungwon knelt down, and held Minkyung’s hands. She squeezed, tighter and tighter, and in every squeeze the coldness of her body become more apparent. She let go of one hand, and softly parted Minkyung’s hair from her face. That was when Minkyung regained consciousness.

7 years, since the last time their eyes met. They let this misty-eyed moment continue for a while, until Kyungwon let go of the other hand as well. Minkyung’s eyes did not stray away, but Kyungwon decided she would face Minkyung with her back.

“Care to tell me where you’ve been in these years?”

“I’m sorry.”

Kyungwon stood still. She promised herself that she would not turn back, because if she saw her downcast eyes, she would not be strong anymore.

“Care to tell me?”

“I can’t.”

Kyungwon took a deep breath. Perhaps she shouldn’t hold any grudges. And even she did, she wouldn’t win. Not that there are anything as winning anyway. She spoke in a gentle tone.

“Well, the bed beside me is still empty.” Kyungwon turned a bit, so that she can peek by the corner of her eyes at Minkyung’s face, and she was indifferent.

“The bed that you not once slept on…”

“Sorry, Kyungwon. I’m going somewhere. That is all I can tell you.”

Kyungwon refused to look at Minkyung again. She laughed inconsistently, mocking her own misery. Then she scoffed at the girl whom she once loved more than anyone.

 “So can I accompany you, huh!?”

Kyungwon made a quick turn and ran to Minkyung. She had no idea what she would do; probably they will end up dead staring at each other at point blank. Or she would slap her. Or she would hold a knife to Minkyung’s neck and interrogate her.

However, Minkyung was gone already. And Kyungwon stopped laughing. She soullessly sat on the ground., and her hands lay on the ground.

 

This is not how I want to end this…

Minkyung left the city through the underground tunnel she used to enter the city. She should report the failure of her mission now, but the thoughts of Kyungwon linger on her mind.

Someday, Kyungwon. Someday.

And then, there were many things to be go over. The girl with scary powers, the enemies who took Yewon and Sungyeon. But exhaustion got the better of Minkyung; the night was too much for her. She should now find a shack and rest.


----- BACKTRACKING ------
The prologue is about to come to an end, and I'm aware that some of you had already lost track of what happened (for which I'm to blame T_T). So I've made a summary of what happened until now:

Kyla was captured by the Myrenii and put in the city of Araconesis, after which the Myrenii offered peace. Siyeon, escorted by Rena and Jieqiong and her knights, went to negotiate the terms. They were ambushed when they arrived: only Rena and Jieqiong made it out alive, with Siyeon missing. Jieqiong went to seek help from Nayoung in the Pontem, while Rena was off to warn Kyungwon (in charge of Lariste's defence) of the impending siege.

Yewon and Sungyeon were prematurely kidnapped by Somi and Doyeon, who originally planned to do this during the siege. As they were evading the guards, Minkyung attempted to rescue her sisters and defeated Doyeon. Her effort was however thwarted by the intervention of Sohye. With Sohye's map, the kidnappers escaped Lariste. Kyungwon and Minkyung had a brief union, after which the latter left the city as well.

Nayoung was leading the Pontem as the Matriarch, assisted by Eunwoo as her secretary.

Again, my gratitude to those who subscribed to or read my story. Thank you for your patience.