Prologue I - Burden

Chain of Hearts

In her exquisite uniform as the First Guard, Kyungwon walked towards the room in the end of the silver corridor, and the guardsman was standing outside. His eyes were firmly peeled long before he saw Kyungwon coming, in upright standing posture. The diligence of the Tiara Knights, a guard unit belonged to the Princess Siyeon only, was shaped by the Kyungwon’s fearsome strictness. This was in stark contrast of much of her personality, but understandable, considering that the princess was her own sister.

“Is the princess awake yet?”

“No, ma’am.”

Kyungwon entered quietly. Every time she walked in, the absurdly large bed makes her heart ache. It was a bed for two. The prince supposed to share her bed died in the battlefield. Siyeon never did say anything, but as she increasingly glued herself to her sisters whenever possible, it was evident that she was lonely. There was a time where all the sisters of House Pristine slept under the same roof, when loneliness was never a concern. Those times were long gone.

The peace for her Kingdom of Lariste was long gone, as well. The king, her father-in-law, was a travesty. At first he ruled with absolute arrogance. Later he stopped ruling, and preferred instead discussing women with rotten aristocrats. Drunk with the stink of a fervent carnivore.

As Princess of Lariste, Siyeon reluctantly took up the responsibility which the king abandoned. At the age of 9 she learned diplomacy, of 12 she learned the administration of a kingdom, and of 15 her people hailed not a king but a Queen, much to the jealousy of the king, yet he couldn’t do a thing without risking open rebellion. But one year later the kingdom needed a commander, when the Myrenii Empire invaded. Siyeon tried her very best, exceptional in her age, yet the best was never enough. Now nothing stood between the overwhelming Myrenii and the city of Lariste.

The princess was to lead the remaining forces in the preparation for the siege, and Kyungwon couldn’t bear the role of reminding Siyeon of another hectic day. Yet she had distressing news that would completely alter the plans, in a bad way. By selfish motives, that’s all the more reason to let Siyeon dwell longer in the realm of dreams, where her desirable life, fully absent in reality, can be found.

Kyungwon quietly sat on the unoccupied side of the bed. Though, as if Siyeon can feel her sister’s presence, she murmured with the eyes remained closed.

“It’s time, isn’t it unnie?”

Frowned, Kyungwon lay her hand on the princess’s shoulder, as if to push her back against the bed. Ever since Nayoung left them for a much greater responsibility and Minkyung’s disappearance, she has been the head of this family. Though, Kyungwon clearly knows, both by instinct and experiment, that she’s a follower, not a leader. She cannot do much for Siyeon, not more than what Siyeon is capable of herself.

“Yeah.”

Siyeon opened her eyes. Her room was surrounded by an appealing garden, fit for a princess. Though ever since she became the master of this residence, there had been barely time for her to have even a single glimpse of it. She rose, and as her eye was about to match Kyungwon’s, her sister avoided her stare. Cracking a smile expressing her understanding of her unnie’s sentiment, she grabbed Kyungwon’s hand on her shoulder, holding it tightly.

“It’s okay. You know we have to begin preparing for the defence.

There won’t be a siege, Siyeon.

Kyungwon turned to the confused princess, staring at her worrisomely.

They have Kyla.

 

In the throne room, Rena and Jieqiong are waiting for Siyeon as well, along with a number of courtiers. Most of them were discussing what to do with this situation, while Jieqiong was reading a letter from the Pontem.

              Dear Dust,

No need to worry about me, Jieqiong. As always, I’m living very well with Nayoung unnie. You know what, I think I have a crush on one of those boys here. I think he has a crush on me as well! Ohhh what to do…should I confess or should I wait for him to confess? Probably the latter right?

Though, it seems that the politics here is getting problematic, and unnie is getting even more lethargic. I’m trying my very best to take care of her, so once again, don’t be worried.

By the time this letter reached your hands, the Myrenii must have requested a peace meeting. Our doing, of course, and its all that we can do. We do not have enough influence to alter the terms, and nor does Lariste, so try to convince Siyeon to accept all but the most preposterous terms of peace.

Nayoung unnie wishes to say that she misses all of you. She reminds you and Rena that you have to help Siyeon and Kyungwon unnie in all affairs, and also help to look after Yewon and Sungyeon. After the peace is made, we will probably visit Lariste.

And, regarding your last question, no. We haven’t found Minkyung unnie yet. You know what to tell to Kyungwon unnie.

Almost forgot. Nayoung unnie specifically tell you to stay safe. Also, the next time you two meet, she’ll have a gift for you. Don’t tell unnie that I tipped you off, or no more spying on unnie.

Love,
Flatfish

“Is it from Eunwoo?”

Rena sneaked a peek at the letter, and Jieqiong hastily folded it. Not that there were any secrets to be kept, sans the part about Nayoung, but Jieqiong was still contemplating about it, leaving Rena freely imagining what was written in the letter. Appearing in her mind was Nayoung saying she misses Rena particularly. Thinking of this, Rena chuckled out of nowhere.

The thoughts of both were cut short by Siyeon’s arrival, greeted by all the advisors.

“Your Highness.”

It clearly wasn’t a time for venting frustration and screaming to the extreme. Left from all that were discernible traces of anger on the princess’s pale face. Once she sat on the throne she wished she never sit on, she shut her eyes and sighed.

“Someone tell me Kyla isn’t hurt.”

As the unnie of Kyla, who cares if Lariste is embracing peace? In whatever price, Siyeon wanted Kyla back, unscarred and unbroken. But she is also the princess. Exchanging Kyla’s freedom for perhaps a finite period of time for Lariste’s peace is totally acceptable – in fact, very generous. To reject this condition is childish…yet at the age of 16, Siyeon was indeed a child. She can’ t make up her mind now. Regardless of the final decision, she need to move-

“ugh…” All of a sudden, Siyeon was having flashbacks.

 

              A few years ago. Siyeon was staying in Pristine residence. After reading books about governance as part of her mandatory studies, she picked up a fairy tale. Princess and prince living happily ever after…”  That was not the truth. Her prince was a good person, a good company, yet Siyeon cannot squeeze out any love for him. They seldom talk, in fact. Siyeon had not moved into the palace yet.

Soon it was time for her examination. As she was getting dressed up, a child knocked loudly on the door. When the door was opened, the child was crying.

“Helpsome children is bullying Kyla..”

Siyeon did not hesitate for a second. Examination was nowhere near her priorities; she feared that contacting her unnies first would be too late. She herself is also an unnie for Kyla. It was her responsibility.

“Its okay…” She wiped the tears on the child’s face with her handkerchief. Can you take me to her?”

When they arrived, the child couldn’t wait to tell everyone the princess had come. Before Siyeon even raised an eyebrow, the bullies dispersed. Siyeon rushed to Kyla’s side, and noticed several bruises on her arms and legs. She grabbed Kyla’s hands and was taking her home to tend to her wounds.

“Unnie…” Kyla murmured, and Siyeon realized that Kyla began sobbing.

“It hurts, right.dont worryits fine now..”

“No, it didnt hurt.. Kyla looked up to her unnie, thinking that Siyeon forgot she’s quite good at enduring pain. You cant go to the examination now…”

“Oh…” Kyla didn’t realize that Siyeon completely forgot it.Ah! That means nothing to me compared to your safety, Kyla.”

Siyeon put up a comforting smile, in gratification of her sister’s maturity, but also in concern to the likely fact that Kyla is going to blame herself again.

“Next time…” Kyla looked on the road, like a brave heroine. To Siyeon, Kyla is indeed a brave heroine. Dont come for me if you have other important thingsI dont want be a burden to my unnies…”

 

Much more is at stake now.

“Kyla…what to do…”

“Princess..?”

Jieqiong spoke, and was poked by Rena at the back for interrupting Siyeon’s thoughts.

“Well what we’re waiting for? Don’t they want me to go and make peace-“

“Wait!”

Jieqiong stopped Siyeon, and handed her the letter. As Siyeon was reading, Jieqiong kept on voicing her concerns.

“Nayoung unnie brokered this, but Eunwoo didn’t mention that Kyla would become a Myrenii prisoner. If it was done in the shadows, I fear that this could be a trap…”

Siyeon flipped her hair, her eyes looking as firm as ever.

“We don’t have a choice… Kyungwon unnie, you have the command of the army. Rena unnie, Jieqiong unnie.. pick up some guards and let’s go.”