FOUR

Healing Scars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

FOUR

 

Though Jinae had a hard time catching what he said, she did hear him. “Kai.” She smiled. “What happened last night?”

 

There it was again, the scared and terrified look on his face. It breaks her heart to see such a young boy to be so vulnerable and weak, and honestly, he wasn’t that much older than her, how bad can his life be?

 

She can’t help but worry for this stranger, even though she must admit her life wasn’t any better either, scraping through the day with the lack of money, but at least she wasn’t in a state as terrible as him, where he had a hard time to even talk to other people.

 

“No, you know what nevermind, I don’t want to ask. You don’t have to tell me.”

 

The look in his eyes changed a bit, it wasn’t that noticeable, but she did notice it. His eyes softened, just for a very short while, before it turned rigid and hard again. She could feel him stiffen yet again although a bit more relaxed than before. His eyes were masked again, though the fear was evident. It was all covered again. All his secrets, stories, feelings, everything was hidden inside him. His eyes especially, underneath those soft orbs, she could see the pain and difficulties those eyes hold.

 

“Do you..” She started softly, “do you have any family?”

 

That hits her. The look on his face, his eyes were on the verge of crying. Kai stayed quiet before straining out in a very shaky voice, “I.. I-I do..don't k-know.”

 

“Do you know where you live? At least I can take you there.”

 

He repeated the same response, his voice just as shaky as before, “I.. I-I do..don't k-know.”

 

Honestly, she felt like crying too. How sad is it for this boy to not know his own family or where he even lives. Kai had no idea where his family is right now, and he wondered if they are still alive and healthy right now? He could slightly remember the memories of his house, his parents– his mom especially, though the images were unclear and lack vividness. He hated himself for it. He hated how he has forgotten most of his memories, those ones which hold special meanings especially.

 

“I-I’m sorry.”

 

Kai, on the other hand, was clueless not knowing what to do either. He knew this girl would probably kick him out anytime soon, but the problem is, he doesn’t know where to go, nor he has any money to eat and live. He's already scared enough to be found by the Joker if he would to walk aimlessly out in the streets, what more when he had no idea where to go and his stomach lurching from hungriness.

 

"So, you don't have a place to live in?" She asked softly, her eyes focused on him. He had his head faced down, a dejected frown was visible as he shook his head as an answer. His eyes were so watery that the tears were already threatening to spill out.

 

“D-do you perhaps want to live here with me? I mean like I can help you, but I have to be honest I’m not financially stable either.”

 

Kai snapped his neck and stare at her with wide eyes. A bit too fast actually. His mouth parted in surprise, his eyes slightly twinkling in delight. Did he just hear that correctly? A stranger, not more, brought him to his house and treated his wounds, and was even kind enough to let him stay. He didn't want to appear rude nor did he wanted to barge into a strangers life and bring a nuisance to her. He was merely a burden to her and he didn't like that. He was about to reject the offer but he could not find himself to utter a single word. He was scared. If he were to reject the offer then where would he go? Where would he stay? Will he just live in the streets and maybe die out of hunger there? Will he get caught again by the Joker and never again escaped? It scared him so much that he whimpered softly at the thought. He slowly brought his eyes to meet her gaze. Her gaze was genuine, there wa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter