Father to Father

The Baby's Here

 

 

 

 

 

Seung Jo waited patiently as his clinic duty was coming to an end. He came back to the surgery department a few minutes after the unconscious Ha Ni was brought back to her room. His fellow doctors heard about the news that Seung Jo was now a father and were surprised to know that he wanted to take his shift in the department.

 

"Aigoo, Dr. Baek! Your wife just had a baby and you're working here? Unbelievable!" one doctor said.

 

"Take care of Nurse Oh for a while," said the other.

 

"Go to her room instead. There are plenty of doctors here to take your place," the department head told Seung Jo.

 

"It's okay. Oh Ha Ni is still unconscious and won't wake up in the next few hours. I can still manage to take a few hours of my shift until she wakes up. And besides, my mother and brother arrived an hour ago and are watching over her so, please, hand me the patient files," Seung Jo said.

 

The doctors could not help but laugh a little and shake their heads. Even the department head is surprised at Seung Jo's willingness to work at this time. Instead of making him take his shift, the department head gave him a clinic duty. Seung Jo was given only three hours of clinic work instead of the usual five.

 

"Dr. Baek, I know you think this work is important but learn to take care of your family as well now that you and Nurse Oh already have a child. You'll never know but there will be a time when you'll wish not to work to attend to your child," the department head said with a smile.

 

Seung Jo thanked him and the other doctors for their thoughtfulness and went straight to the clinic. It seemed that today was his lucky day because only a few patients arrived and nothing major was needed to be attended to.

 

Three hours came by so fast. Seung Jo changed his uniform to his normal clothes in his office. He was going to be with Ha Ni's side. He got out of his office and passed by the nursery and stopped for a while. He saw his beautiful baby girl by the window.

 

"Is that my grandchild?"

 

Seung Jo turned and saw his father.

 

"Ah, Seung Jo, it feels good to see your child isn't it? She's beautiful," Father said.

 

Seung Jo just smiled. "Yes it is."

 

"I don't know about you but when I saw you for the first time, I felt something so wonderful. Although we were expecting a girl, it was funny to think that we had you. But of course, we loved you and wanted you. It's just that your mother was so sure that we would have a girl."

 

Seung Jo was unaffected by this now. He heard this story a lot of times now. His mom wanted a girl but Seung Jo became their child. But his mother's stubbornness made him believe that he was a girl. Imagine the embarrassment he felt when he realized something about himself.

 

"Seung Jo, being a father is a wonderful thing to experience. Trust me. I know you're still very young to be a father right now but you are more mature than anyone could imagine. Being a doctor at twenty-two isn't something usual. But you are lucky. You can have more time with your daughter while you're still young," Father said.

 

Seung Jo was just silent. He had never heard his father talk like this before although they had serious conversations before. He was just listening.

 

"Remember your responsibilities. Not only will you have to attend to your patients but to Ha Ni and your child as well."

 

Seung Jo nodded. Yes, I need to watch over them. I have a family now, he thought.

 

"I'm proud of you," Father said.

 

Although he might not admit it, Seung Jo was touched. His father extended his hand to him and he shook it. "Congratulations my son."

 

"Thank you father," Seung Jo replied.

 

He could see the tears in his father's eyes and he could tell that his father was happy. Father gave him a hug and patted his shoulder. It was a rare father-son moment for Seung Jo for he never really showed emotions to his parents.

 

"Oh. I must get to work now. I just left the office after I heard your mom's call. I still have a meeting this afternoon. I'll be back tonight. Ah, Seung Jo, you do not want to hear her screaming on the phone."

 

And with that, Father left.

 

 

*************************************************************