The Confession

The Baby's Here

 

 

 

 

 

Six months ago, Ha Ni even tried to hide the fact that she's three months pregnant. She thought that it would be troublesome for Seung Jo since he was busy studying for his doctorate finals. Ha Ni was in the last stages of additional nurse training too. Seung Jo was completely clueless although his mother had suspicions about Ha Ni's condition and, of course, she was right. But Seung Jo knew something was wrong with Ha Ni because of the way she looks. And she was feverish and nauseous every morning. He just didn't know what that something was.

 

Seung Jo only learned about this when Ha Ni almost fainted in his arms in front of the hospital testing center where they both took their training exams.

 

"I've been feeling a lot of pressure lately and I know this greatly affects you too. But please do your best for yourself, for me... And for our baby."

 

As if something hit him on his head. His eyes widened. He was speechless. Baby? What is she talking about? Does this mean that she's...

 

"Seung Jo, I'm pregnant," Ha Ni said with tears in her eyes. Seung Jo did not know how to react. Sure he knew that he would be a father since he's married but he didn't expect it to be this soon. Moreover, how could he not notice Ha Ni's pregnancy since he's a doctor? And why didn't Ha Ni tell her about her condition?

 

"Seung Jo, say something... Please," Ha Ni was really nervous now. Seung Jo could see it in her eyes.

 

"How long have you known?" Seung Jo finally managed to say. He's still frozen.

 

"Seung Jo, it's been three months."

 

"Then why didn't you tell me? Why, Ha Ni?" Seung Jo was really furious but he didn't know why he's this angry. "You're suffering all by yourself and I didn't even know! Why did you hide everything from me?"

 

Ha Ni is now trembling and felt really ashamed. "I thought that this baby would be a distraction to you. I thought you didn't want a baby this time. I thought you'll have a hard time doing your thesis and your tests. Seung Jo I-"

 

"Ha Ni why didn't you trust me with this?" Seung Jo was really hurt. Did she really think that the baby would just bother him? "You're having a difficult time and I just watch you like I'm a fool. Why do you make me into such a bad person?" And that was it. Seung Jo has never shouted at her like this before. He saw that Ha Ni was shocked and her eyes are filled with shame, regret and sadness. Tears continued to fall. He, too, was surprised at what he had done.

 

There was a moment of silence. But Ha Ni finally managed to say, "It's not that. Of course it's not. B-but if mother knew then she'd s-say to give up... Give up... Studying. I-I don't want to stop, Seung Jo. I really want to be a n-nurse and... And a good wife... To you..." Ha Ni tried to stop crying to say these words. But she couldn't stop the tears from flowing.

 

Seung Jo was now drowning in guilt. He said such sharp words to Ha Ni and now she couldn't even look at him. I promised to myself not to make you cry, Seung Jo thought, but what have I done? If you met another man who's not as cold as me then maybe both of you would be jumping right now because of this wonderful news.

 

"To be honest, when I learned that I was pregnant, I was scared. I'm afraid of not being able to protect my own child just like my mother. What if... What if I couldn't even be with her? What if-"

 

Seung Jo embraced her. He couldn't say how much he loved her and how happy he was to learn that Ha Ni's pregnant. He couldn't really express his feelings through words but this hug shows all of his emotions. "Ha Ni, I'm here. I'll protect you and our baby. I'll always be here. Do you hear me? So please stop crying."

 

As this moment he pulled Ha Ni away from him and leaned forward towards her face. Seung Jo gave her a gentle and comforting kiss. He felt that Ha Ni responded well to his kiss. Even though he might not say it often, Seung Jo really loves Ha Ni. She made him feel complete.

 

"Don't think you're a burden to me. Don't think this will bother me. Ha Ni... This is our baby."

 

Ha Ni did not let go of Seung Jo. That's alright, Seung Jo did not want her to let go either. He embraced her more tightly feeling the heat from her little body. Ha Ni's sobbing eventually stopped and became soft breaths. This hug continued for a while.

 

"Seung Jo ah... I'm having your baby!" Ha Ni's voice was now filled with joy. Seung Jo just smiled, not letting go of the embrace. Ha Ni's back to her old self, he thought.

 

"Are you sure you're really happy?" Ha Ni asked.

 

Seung Jo sighed and smiled. He looked at her. "Idiot. What the heck are you thinking? Of course I am."

 

Ha Ni beamed. Ha Ni you look beautiful when you smile, Seung Jo thought.

 

"Are you craving for something?" Seung Jo asked. He knew that pregnant women have these food cravings.

 

Ha Ni looked at him. She was still smiling.

 

"Strawberries."

 

 

******************************************************