Here She Is

The Baby's Here

 

 

 

 

 

Seung Jo was holding Ha Ni's hand tightly even though his hand was starting to hurt. Her grip is too strong because of the labor pains. Seung Jo could see that Ha Ni was running out of energy. She's been pushing the baby out for a long time now.

 

"Contractions are again coming. Push now. Push!" the doctor said. Ha Ni cried as she pushed the baby and felt pains here and there. Seung Jo could only watch.

 

"Oh Ha Ni-ssi, I could see the baby's head! The baby's crowning! A little more push now..." the doctor said.

 

"Aaaah! I-It hurts so much!" Ha Ni said. Her cheeks were covered with sweat and tears. Her lips were white. She's losing a lot of blood and there were bloodstains all over the operating table. She tearfully looked at Seung Jo. "S-seung Jo... I c-cant... do this."

 

Seung Jo held her hand tightly and he placed his head near Ha Ni's. "Fool. How could you give up now? The Ha Ni that I know is strong. My little Noah's snail doesn't know how to give up. Especially now that our baby is almost here. Ha Ni, please, stay strong for me... And for our baby."

 

Hearing these words, Seung Jo saw the courage in Ha Ni's eyes. She squeezed Seung Jo's hands really harder than before. He's feeling the numbness in his right hand now but it doesn't matter anymore. He used his left to wipe the sweat off from Ha Ni's head. "Breathe, Ha Ni."

 

Ha Ni took a very deep breath. He looked a Seung Jo, closed her eyes and pushed the baby out with all of her remaining strength. She cried and her scream was the most painful Seung Jo has heard. For the first time in his life, he felt extremely nervous.

 

"AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH! S-Seung Jo! AAAAAAAAHHHH!"

 

It was defeaning. But Ha Ni's scream eventually died down but he was hearing another loud sound. What is this, he thought. He turned his gaze and saw the doctor holding a crying baby. He was hearing his baby's cry for the first time.

 

"Dr. Baek, my sincerest congratulations to you! Here is your first child," the doctor said to Seung Jo.

 

Seung Jo was speechless. He couldn't believe that he's now a father. Everything was unbelievable but it felt so right. And Ha Ni... Ha Ni did it. She gathered her courage and did it.

 

A nurse came to the doctor's side, got the baby, cleaned it and covered it with nice warm white cloth. She handed the baby to Seung Jo. "Dr. Baek, congratulations!"

 

This is the moment I've been waiting for, Seung Jo thought. He let go of Ha Ni's hand for a while and extended his arms to hold the baby. He was amazed by the feeling of carrying his firstborn in his arms. He couldn't help but smile. He's holding his beautiful baby girl.

 

"Ha Ni, our baby is really pretty," he said. Just like you, he added in his mind. But there was no response. "Ha Ni?"

 

Ha Ni had her eyes closed. She was not awake. Seung Jo's heart stopped for a bit but he saw that her vitals are normal.

 

"Don't worry," said the doctor. His voice was reassuring. "Nurse Oh was laboring for hours now and she fainted due to fatigue right after the baby was out."

 

Seung Jo let out sigh of relief. He looked back on his baby again. At least I could get time alone with my baby girl, he thought. He couldn't get his smile off his face. The baby got Ha Ni's flat forehead that he really likes but he's not sure is she got Ha Ni's sleepy looking eyes as well because the baby was sleeping.

 

"Dr. Baek, Oh Ha Ni-ssi will be brought to her room. She'll wake up in the next few hours. In the mean time, we need to put the baby in the nursery. Nurse Woo here will take care of her."

 

Seung Jo nodded. He handed his baby to the nurse. Daddy will be back for you, he thought.

 

 

*****************************************************