Chapter 2

Finding Jiyong
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sandara had another tiring day at school. She had a hard time trying to communicate with everyone. She could understand some English words but only a few. She found everything confusing. To be fair to her classmates they were in fact nice. It’s just that they couldn’t understand each other. So other than just smiling awkwardly at their attempts to befriend her she made no active effort to communicate.

She joined her mom and siblings at their dinner table. Durami was rattling happily at her mom, telling her how she already made friends. Sanghyun was happily eating his food, humming softly to himself. He was a happy kid as long as there was food he didn’t make any fuss. Dara on the other hand played sadly with her food barely eating anything. Their mom would steal worried glances at her as she listened with half an ear to Durami’s animated retelling of her school day.

When Durami paused for a breather in between her enthusiastic monologue, Dara set aside her chopsticks, excused herself from the table. Her mom, who usually did not allow her children to leave the table without finishing their food, nodded at her to go knowing that her firstborn was going through a difficult time. 

Durami went on with her chatter after telling Dara to have a good sleep. She was acting like she was the older sister. Dara smiled at her little sister and ruffled her hair good-naturedly. She pinched Sanghyun’s cheeks. He squirmed at her hold and continued eating.

Dara was already big enough to take care of herself. She cleaned herself up in the bathroom, brushed her teeth and changed into her night clothes. As she tuck herself into bed, her mom knocked on her door and took a peek of her.

“I take it your school day wasn’t as great as Durami’s.” Her mom smoothed her hair back and rearranged her blanket securely around her shoulders. Dara sighed. “I don’t know how to make friends, eomma.”

“Don’t say that Dara. You’re just starting school. The week’s only halfway through. Don’t compare yourself with your sister. You’re both different. Don’t force yourself to match her pace. Give yourself time. Just be yourself. You’ll find friends who will like you just like Bom and Chaerin did.” Her mom softly patted her cheek. “Remember how it took you a month in school before you girls became friends?”

Dara sighed and snuggled into her pillow, murmuring quietly, “I miss Bom and Chae.”

“I know. I’m sorry that you had to leave them.” Her eomma smoothed her back comfortably. Dara shuddered and snuggled deeper into her pillow. A soft shudder accompanied by sniffles told her eomma that she was crying. “I know among the three of you siblings you’re the one who is hurting the most because of our leaving and yet you never showed your younger siblings that you were against our move. Thank you, Dara, for being a strong sister for your siblings.”

Her sniffles continued. Her mom continued her soothing backrub until her silent crying stopped and her breathing evened.

Once again she woke up on the bench. This time, however, her head was on the know-it-all boy’s lap who was busy munching nuts. She sat up immediately as soon as she realized that she was not lying on her pillow, causing the contents of the pac

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter