New Caledonia Pt I

Something Happened to My Heart

A few days later…

"Jan Di, I have a request to make of you," Ji Hoo asked, as he hugged Jan Di from behind in the stairwell. Jan Di turned around to face her boyfriend, breaking his hold upon her waist and shoulders.

"A request?"

"Yes." Ji Hoo took Jan Di's hands in his and interlaced their fingers, as he leaned back against the balcony. Jan Di stared up at Ji Hoo, wondering what it could possibly be.

"What is it, Sunbae?" she asked. More often than not she would still call him that, only occasionally slipping up and saying his name. But Ji Hoo didn't mind it so much, and he no longer bothered to correct her. It was rather cute, actually, coming from her.

"Well, Jun Pyo, Yi Jeong, Woo Bin, and I are going on a trip this weekend, and I'd like for you to join us. Will you come?" Ji Hoo asked.

"A trip?" she blinked a few times. A trip with Ji Hoo and F4…

"Where to, and for how long?"

Ji Hoo smiled. "Just a long weekend. And you'll see where… Will you go? You could bring your friend, Chu Ga Eul."

"Well, I don't have the money for a trip, Sunbae."

Ji Hoo gave a short laugh. "No need to worry about that..."

Jan Di sighed. She knew he would say that, but her pride always protested when he paid for things for her, particularly expensive things.

As if reading her mind, Ji Hoo added, "It actually won't be that costly because we are taking Jun Pyo's plane, and his family owns the place we're going to."

"Oh," Jan Di placed a finger to her chin. "But, I don't think I should, Sunbae… I have to work, and I have homework, and—"

Ji Hoo smiled and cut her off there, by placing a tender kiss upon her forehead. She stopped talking instantly.

"I thought you might say that," he cooed, as he tucked a strand of dark hair back behind her ear; she stared up at him doe-eyed. "But you don't need to worry. Your jobs will be taken care of—all four of them… And as for homework, you'll have plenty of time to do it on the plane if you're concerned about getting it done… You don't get airsick, do you?"

Jan Di shook her head slowly. "Well, I don't know… I've never been on a plane before… But what do you mean that work will be taken care of, Sunbae?"

"I mean just that, Jan Di. I'll take care of it for you. You trust me, don't you?" Ji Hoo grinned at her.

"Well, yes, but…"

"We all need to unwind once in a while, even the invincible Wonder Girl…" He affectionately d her arm. "And I believe you deserve to relax more than most, Jan Di-yah… After all, you work harder than anyone I've ever known…"

Jan Di puffed out her cheeks, as she considered his offer. Ji Hoo was staring at her, pleading wordlessly with his eyes. And then he gave her a disarming smile.

He was not at all easy to say no to… Not only did he make some good points, but when he gave her that perfect smile of his, she instantly turned into a gelatinous substance.

Jan Di gave a defeated sigh. "Well, I'd have to check with my parents…"

Ji Hoo's eyes shone with satisfaction. "Good, you do that, my otter..."


A trip with her brand new boyfriend… Jan Di wondered if perhaps things were moving along too quickly… Ji Hoo hadn't even met her parents yet—through her fault only—and now she was going on vacation with him… How would her parents react?

Oh, Jan Di was sure they would be thrilled… They'd probably be picturing a destination wedding… She shook her head at the thought.

And then there was the rest of F4… What would it be like traveling with Gu Jun Pyo, Yi Jeong Sunbae, and Woo Bin Sunbae?

Jan Di gained the expected permission from her parents, and Ga Eul was actually allowed to go, as well, which Jan Di was thankful for. It wasn't that Jan Di was uncomfortable with Ji Hoo; she was actually quite comfortable with him at this point, but taking a trip with her boyfriend was a huge deal…and not to mention contending with the rest of the impulsive and unpredictable F4… So, it would be nice to have a friendly face along for support.

Ji Hoo had offered to ask Jan Di's parents with her, and he had brought up the notion of meeting them on several occasions before, but she had skillfully avoided it… She hoped he wouldn't begin to question her on that.

Jan Di wasn't exactly sure why she was still avoiding introducing Ji Hoo to her parents. Part of her was thrilled to present the amazing, perfect Yoon Ji Hoo as her boyfriend—she was so excited about their relationship, after all—but part of her was afraid…

It wasn't simply the embarrassment factor, but now she was worried that perhaps she would jinx it. It was still so new, and Jan Di occasionally feared that something would go wrong…and that it would all end as suddenly as it began…


The following day…

After school, Jan Di was approached by Gu Jun Pyo, who said nothing but immediately snatched her by the wrist and pulled her along behind him.

"Ya! Gu Jun Pyo! What are you doing?! Where are you taking me?" She shouted, as all in the vicinity turned to watch the scene in stunned silence. Since the debacle at the school dance, no one at Shinwha had messed with Jan Di. Even the nightmare trio had been oddly quiet—only giving her the briefest of sneers here and there… It was a bit curious to Jan Di, but she assumed that Ji Hoo had said or done something…

Jan Di continued to struggle within Jun Pyo's grasp, demanding to know where they were going.

"We're going shopping," Jun Pyo finally responded. And then he stopped and turned to her briefly.

"Shopping?" Jan Di blinked. "Why?"

Jun Pyo exhaled sharply. "Ji Hoo had some business to attend to, but he asked me to bring you to the mall for some shopping, OK? So, stop putting up a fight!" and Jun Pyo continued dragging Jan Di along after him, out of the school and to his car. His driver opened the door for them, and Jun Pyo pushed Jan Di into the back of the jet black limousine and slid in beside her.

Jan Di stared out the window while they drove, sporadically glancing over at Jun Pyo and making occasional idle small talk.


Jun Pyo and Jan Di arrived at the mall 20 minutes later to find everyone there waiting for them—Ji Hoo, Yi Jeong, Woo Bin, and even Ga Eul…

"Ga Eul!" Jan Di exclaimed. "What are you doing here?"

"Jan Di-yah!" Ga Eul rushed to Jan Di and embraced her.

Ga Eul pulled back from Jan Di. "I was tricked…," she scowled over at Yi Jeong. "Yi Jeong Sunbae said that I needed to come right away, that there was an emergency involving you… So, I went with him, and he brought me here...," Ga Eul informed Jan Di.

Jan Di gaped at Yi Jeong.

"It was an emergency," Yi Jeong replied, "We're going on vacation, and I have the suspicion that you two have absolutely nothing to wear…"

Funny what F4 considered an emergency

Jan Di and Ga Eul grimaced at Yi Jeong for his subtle snub, and Ji Hoo also shot Yi Jeong a slightly dirty look.

Then, Jan Di turned to Ji Hoo for explanation. "What's going on, Sunbae? Why were Ga Eul and I dragged to the mall?"

Ji Hoo cleared his throat. "…Well, what Yi Jeong meant was that the four of us are going to pick up a few things for the trip and just wondered if you girls would like to join… I'd hoped Jun Pyo and Yi Jeong would simply ask you both and offer you a ride, rather than forcing you," Ji Hoo said.

"Well, you know how stubborn she is! This was easier than explaining all that!" Jun Pyo asserted. And Jan Di scoffed at him.

Jan Di exchanged a helpless look with Ga Eul. "Well, I suppose we're here now, so I guess we can look around…," Jan Di conceded.


Jun Pyo had insisted upon having the entire mall to themselves. The group watched, as Jun Pyo and his secretary talked. Secretary Jung kept stride with Jun Pyo, while calmly explaining to his young master that he needed to inform him of his plans ahead of time.

Jun Pyo argued that there was no use in owning something if you could not come and go as you please, and Secretary Jung offered to speak with the manager again. Secretary Jung suggested they wait until 6 PM for the place to be cleared out for them, but Jun Pyo was certainly not a patient man.

"You want me to wait three whole hours?" Jun Pyo asked, incredulous and annoyed.

"It's fine, Jun Pyo… We can shop with others," Ji Hoo calmly suggested, but Jun Pyo had no interest in that.

Jun Pyo exhaled sharply and walked into a nearby clothing store. He approached the saleswoman. "Where is that thing?" he asked.

"Excuse me, sir. That…thing? What do you mean, sir?" the woman asked politely.

Jun Pyo scoffed. "Fire her…," he ordered his secretary, to which Jan Di vehemently protested.

"Fine, she's not fired…I'll let it slide this time…," Jun Pyo muttered, as he strode on ahead.

Jan Di and Ga Eul looked on in shock as Jun Pyo grabbed a woman's heel, left the store, and waltzed over to a fire alarm, slamming the stiletto against the glass. The alarm blared loudly as people screamed and rushed out. And the place was immediately cleared. Jan Di and Ga Eul looked at F3 in disbelief. Ji Hoo sighed, but neither he nor F2 seemed at all surprised by Jun Pyo's action.

Woo Bin shrugged, "That's Jun Pyo for ya…," and Yi Jeong nodded along, as if the whole scenario was totally normal and acceptable...

Jan Di and Ga Eul exchanged a look, but they merely sighed and went along with it.


F4 seemed to have a bit too much fun dressing up Jan Di and Ga Eul… They dragged the girls around from store to store suggesting outfits for them. Jan Di and Ga Eul would try on outfits and then come out to 'model' them for F4, and the guys would give a thumbs-up or down. Yi Jeong and Woo Bin pulled a few beach dresses from the racks and handed them to Jan Di and Ga Eul. And then Jun Pyo took a large, round pair of sunglasses and placed them on Jan Di's nose.

Ji Hoo was sitting perfectly still as a statue in a chair—napping—near the dressing rooms, while Jan Di and Ga Eul changed. Jan Di came out wearing a white off-the-shoulder peasant blouse and cherry-colored skirt. She stood before F4, clasping her hands in front of her waist modestly. Woo Bin grinned and nudged Ji Hoo awake. Ji Hoo smiled widely and winked at Jan Di. He gave an immediate thumbs-up.

"You like everything she tries on…," Jun Pyo taunted, rolling his eyes.

"Sorry, but it's not my fault that she looks so cute in everything she puts on," Ji Hoo retorted.

"Cute?" Jun Pyo scoffed. "What's cute about Geum Jan Di?"

Ji Hoo shook his head, ignoring Jun Pyo's clearly untrue remark, and he stood from the chair he'd been occupying for nearly 20 minutes. He went to Jan Di.

"You look beautiful...," he whispered—just loud enough for her to hear—and Jan Di felt her cheeks grow warm. "But, it needs…something…" Ji Hoo glanced around and grabbed a hat from a nearby hat rack. Ji Hoo placed the floppy straw sunhat upon Jan Di's head and took a step back to admire her. "Perfect. Now you won't get sunburned."


"O-K! And now…," Woo Bin clapped his hands together. "I think it's time for the girls to try on some bikinis!"

Jan Di and Ga Eul's eyes grew wide, and their mouths dropped open. They stared at F4's Don Juan in horror, while Yi Jeong chuckled and readily agreed with Woo Bin, patting him on the shoulder. Meanwhile, Jun Pyo smirked and folded his arms. Jan Di was certain she caught the hint of a blush upon his cheeks.

Ji Hoo shook his head at Woo Bin and Yi Jeong. It wasn't that he altogether disliked the idea…he certainly wouldn't mind seeing Jan Di in a bikini, but his ideal scenario certainly did not involve his buddies seeing her like that, too.


Having overcome the initial shock, Jan Di regained her voice, "Ya, no way!" Jan Di put an arm protectively around Ga Eul. "Don't be dirty, Woo Bin Sunbae!"

"Dirty?!" Woo Bin looked hurt. "I'm not being dirty, Jan Di-yah! You need bathing suits for the beach…"

Jan Di tightened . "I have something I can wear. I have a t-shirt and shorts."

Woo Bin seemed bummed out by this. He overcame it quickly, though, and suddenly jumped up from his chair and went over to a rack of bathing suits. Yi Jeong grinned and got up, too. He sashayed over to join Woo Bin. They exchanged a few words, while going through the racks, and they each pulled out a bathing suit.

F2 returned to the group.

Woo Bin held up a polka dot bikini to Jan Di, and he gave her a quick look up and down. "You're about a size small, right, Jan Di-yah?"

Jan Di gaped at Woo Bin, and she instinctively wrapped her arms around herself, covering her chest. "H-how did you know, Sunbae…?" Jan Di eyed Woo Bin suspiciously.

"I have an eye for this sort of thing…," Woo Bin replied, giving her a wink. Jan Di took a few steps back from the Don Juan and stood next to Ga Eul, scowling at F2 and muttering under her breath.

"Ya, Woo Bin! Stop sizing up my girlfriend…," Ji Hoo protested, "Get away from Jan Di…"

"Ahh," Woo Bin turned to Ji Hoo and waved him off with a hand. "Relax, Ji Hoo-yah. It's all in fun. Don't be so possessive…"

Ji Hoo exhaled and rolled his eyes. "I'm not being possessive; it's for your own good, Woo Bin… Jan Di is going to get fed up and hit you, and I'm not going to do a thing to stop it…"

Woo Bin smirked. And Ji Hoo returned to Jan Di, taking her gently by the shoulders and leading her away from Woo Bin.

Then, Yi Jeong approached Ga Eul, holding up a powder pink two-piece before her. "This should fit and would look cute on you, Ga Eul-yang…"

And Ga Eul blushed like mad. She backed away from the Casanova and went to Jan Di's side.


Afterward, the girls gave their approval or disapproval to the guys while they tried on several outfits. Jun Pyo changed into a flowery shirt and maroon pants and checked himself out in the mirror. Jan Di couldn't help but giggle when he began strutting around like he was the best looking thing to ever exist.

Jun Pyo paraded himself before the girls; Jan Di and Ga Eul looked between each other and simultaneously gave a thumbs-down to the outfit. Jun Pyo's jaw dropped and he got huffy with them. But then, Jun Pyo simply held his head high, insisting that he did look good and that he didn't care what they thought; he was buying it anyway. The girls shook their heads, and F3 laughed.


F4 and the girls walked down the corridors of the mall. Jan Di and Ga Eul walked a few feet ahead of F4, arm-in-arm. They all passed a jewelry store. The others continued on, but Ji Hoo paused to look in the window.

Yi Jeong turned back and approached Ji Hoo. He came up beside Ji Hoo, who barely registered his presence, for he was staring hard into the window—seemingly deliberating something.

"Coming, Ji Hoo-yah?" Yi Jeong placed a hand on Ji Hoo's shoulder, startling him slightly.

"Oh. Yeah, I'm coming…," Ji Hoo took one last look at the display before walking off with Yi Jeong.


The group passed by a pet store next, and Ga Eul and Jan Di squealed in unison about the puppies in the window. They rushed inside. F4 stopped for a moment, looking on. F4 glanced between each other and then entered the store to find Jan Di and Ga Eul fawning over a litter of tan and black and tan Jindo puppies. The pups were yipping and whimpering happily about the attention they were receiving.

Yi Jeong smiled brightly from beside Woo Bin—who folded his arms and grinned down at the girls. Ji Hoo and Jun Pyo looked on with the hint of smiles.

"Ohh, Sunbae, look!" Jan Di brought a little tan-colored ball of fluff over to Ji Hoo and held it up to him. Her eyes shone with adoration.

Ji Hoo smiled affectionately at Jan Di. "I see, Jan Di-yah. It's cute…" Ji Hoo gave the pup a pat on the head, and it started to his hand. Jan Di smiled and took it away, and Ji Hoo watched her cuddle the small dog in her arms. He recalled what she'd said to him before about always wanting a puppy as a child but being denied by her family. And he suddenly had the urge to buy it for her… Were she to ask him for one, he didn't think he'd be able to turn her down…

"What is it with girls and puppies?" Jun Pyo posed the question to F3.

"Who doesn't love puppies, Jun Pyo Sunbae?!" Ga Eul interjected.

Jun Pyo just shrugged.

"Come on, don't you like them, Gu Jun Pyo?" Jan Di looked at him quizzically. "You don't think it's cute…not even a little bit…?" Jan Di approached Jun Pyo and held up the puppy in his face.

Jun Pyo softened ever so slightly. "I guess…a little bit…"

Jan Di smiled tenderly. And then the puppy brushed Jun Pyo's nose with its small pink tongue. It then proceeded to cover Jun Pyo's face with wet kisses. 

Jun Pyo cringed and pulled away. He took a few steps back. Unable to resist, Jan Di began to pursue Jun Pyo around the store with the puppy, holding it out toward him with outstretched arms. Jun Pyo continued to try and escape. "Aish! Ya, Geum Jan Di, keep that thing away from me!" Jun Pyo demanded.

F3 and Ga Eul laughed, and F3 teased Jun Pyo about his new puppy friend. Jan Di chuckled and discontinued the chase. She took the puppy back to its litter.


The Next Day…

Due to conflicting schedules, the girls were picked up separately from F4—by Ji Hoo's driver—and taken to the airport. Jan Di and Ga Eul had insisted upon doing their last shift at the porridge shop before leaving, but they were surprised by F4 sending several beautiful, leggy girls to help out in their stead. After that, Master, of course, had no problem with sending them away early—and he did so almost eagerly…

The door to Ji Hoo's white Escalade was opened for Jan Di and Ga Eul when they arrived at the airport, and they stepped out to see a long sleek jet, the Gu family's private plane.

The girls were led onto the plane; F4 was already there and seated. Jan Di smiled softly when she noticed that Ji Hoo was there—strapped in and wearing headphones—and already fast asleep. She didn't want to wake him and instead took a moment to admire his gentle, handsome features.

Jan Di was only ripped from her reverie by a flight attendant, who was holding a delicious-looking whole lobster on a tray. Jan Di and Ga Eul eyed up the dish hungrily, their mouths practically watering from the sight of it and the scent wafting up to their nostrils—it was buttery and not at all fishy, like they were used to… The flight attendant instructed Jan Di and Ga Eul politely to take their seats and fasten in.

Jan Di swallowed her saliva in one quick motion, and she and Ga Eul settled into two cream-colored leather seats next to each other, across from Ji Hoo and Yi Jeong. Jun Pyo and Woo Bin sat in the next row up.

Ji Hoo opened his eyes for a moment after the girls sat down, and he drowsily glanced around the plane. His eyes met Jan Di's and he smiled softly. Seeming content that she was there now, he went back to napping.

Then, the pilot made an announcement, informing them that they would be departing shortly for New Caledonia. He gave a brief report on the flight time and temperature there.

Jan Di and Ga Eul looked between each other. "New Caledonia?!" they screeched. Ji Hoo smiled in his sleep.

And then the plane began to rumble, and the sounds of rustling could be heard in the back of the plane before the engine finally roared to life. Jan Di took a deep breath and clutched onto the armrest.

Well, here we go…


After a nearly 12-hour flight, Jun Pyo's jet began its descent into Noumea, New Caledonia—a French territory in the South Pacific, roughly 1,200 km east of Australia. Jan Di and Ga Eul looked eagerly out the window, marveling at the beautiful scenery below them. The water was pristine—a swirl of cerulean and turquoise—and they could see a row of bungalows below that were gradually growing larger as they descended.

The group arrived on the island paradise right on schedule, and after deplaning they walked along a bridge toward their accommodations. Two western girls approached the group along the way. They were speaking English but with some kind of accent, Australian maybe, Jan Di thought. The girls immediately went up to Yi Jeong and Woo Bin and gave them an affectionate hug.

While they walked, Jan Di and Ga Eul were informed by Jun Pyo that his family had purchased the island and that Shinwha Group owned the resort.

Wow, Gu Jun Pyo owns an entire island… Was there any limit to his wealth…, Jan Di mused.

Then, F4 began talking about Woo Bin's family's latest purchase in Dubai, and Jun Pyo showed them all to their rooms.


The rooms were gorgeous and immaculate, with lovely purple, pink, and crimson blossoms sprinkled generously on the bed and in the bathtub… And Jan Di and Ga Eul were amazed to discover that their beautiful guestrooms were actually floating in the water, and they gazed in awe out the window.

Afterward, a tour of the island was suggested. So, the group began their day seeing the island and shopping in its many small boutiques, which displayed some of the latest Parisian fashions and souvenirs-galore.

Jun Pyo led the group, followed by Ga Eul and Jan Di, who strolled along hand-in-hand. Ji Hoo walked close behind them, followed by Yi Jeong, Woo Bin, and their girls. The group browsed several shops, talking and joking about various silly items they discovered there.


They left one of the shops, and Jan Di noticed Ji Hoo stop and kneel before a young mocha-skinned girl with dark curly hair, who was selling flowers. She rushed into Ji Hoo's arms, wrapping her hands around his neck. He embraced her back. Then, the girl said something to Ji Hoo in another language and he shook his head.

Ji Hoo picked up one of the flowers she was selling and gazed upon it wistfully. He placed it back on the ground and pulled out his wallet, but the girl shook her hands. She picked up the flower and handed it to him again, whilst saying something in her language. Ji Hoo flashed a pearly smile and patted the girl on the head before walking away with the flower in hand.

Jan Di stopped before the girl next, while the rest of the group walked on ahead. The young island girl held out a flower to Jan Di. She said something in another language, and Jan Di questioned what she meant. The girl put the flower down and traced a heart in the air with her fingers.

Jan Di pondered for a moment, "Love?" she asked. And the girl nodded.

Was this a flower that one gives to their lover?


That evening, the group was all gathered around for an outdoor dinner…

Yi Jeong approached Ga Eul, who was preparing a plate of food. "You're going to eat all that?" he asked, incredulous.

Ga Eul looked up at him and placed a finger to her lips. "Excuse me…?"

"You're cute, but guys don't like chubby girls…"

Ga Eul scoffed. "You know," she held her head up haughtily. "I thought you were supposed to be a ladies' man or something… Don't you even know that girls don't like when you call them fat? Is that the way you woo women?"

Yi Jeong flashed a pearly grin. "Well, I wasn't trying to woo you," he said directly.

Ga Eul flushed lightly in embarrassment. "Well, I didn't meant to suggest—"

"And I wasn't calling you fat…," he replied. And then Yi Jeong grinned wickedly at her. "…But if you keep eating like that then…"

For some reason, Yi Jeong found it rather enjoyable teasing this girl…

Ga Eul huffed and turned from him.

"Honestly, I don't know how Geum Jan Di eats the way she does and remains that size… It's a medical marvel," Yi Jeong further teased.

Ga Eul snapped her head back toward him. "Ya! Are you insulting my best friend now?!"

"No, not at all; I like Geum Jan Di a lot…"

Ga Eul folded her arms, and there was a moment of silence between them.

"So, Ga Eul-yang, what do you make of this whole thing?" Yi Jeong mused.

"What thing?"

"Jan Di and Ji Hoo."

"I think it's great," Ga Eul responded assuredly, "Don't you?"

Yi Jeong raised his eyes skyward and d his chin. "Well, to be honest, I was a bit surprised when Ji Hoo announced he was going to date Geum Jan Di…"

"Why?" Ga Eul grew defensive. "Do you think Jan Di is not good enough for Ji Hoo Sunbae?"

"It's not that…"

"Then what is it?!" Ga Eul demanded, placing her hands upon her slender hips.

Yi Jeong grinned at her reaction. "It's just that…well, Ji Hoo was so in love with Min Seo Hyun… He loved and looked at only her for 15 years… Sometimes it's hard to believe that he just…got over that."

And then there was Yi Jeong's other concern regarding the whole situation…

Ga Eul's eyes flitted back and forth. "So, what are you saying…? Do you think Ji Hoo Sunbae is not being sincere with Jan Di?"

"No. I'm not saying that… You don't remain loyal to one woman for 15 years without being a sincere kind of guy…"

Ga Eul cast her eyes downward and nodded slowly.

"I'm just thinking out loud really…" Yi Jeong studied Ga Eul, and he smiled faintly. "You seem concerned. I'm sorry, Ga Eul-yang. I'm sure there's really no reason to worry. I'm probably speaking unnecessarily. Ji Hoo seems to really like Jan Di a lot. He seems to be happy with her."

Ga Eul opened to speak, but Woo Bin began calling for Yi Jeong.


"Hey, Yi Jeong-ah…," Woo Bin beckoned Yi Jeong to join him and the two western girls, and Yi Jeong excused himself and went over. The four music and began dancing.

Jan Di was standing nearby beside Ji Hoo. He leaned down to whisper something, and she smiled widely and shoved his arm in a playful manner. Ga Eul smiled to herself; they did look happy… Ji Hoo said something else to Jan Di and then walked away. Ga Eul went over to stand next to Jan Di, putting an arm around her shoulder.

Ji Hoo returned a moment later with a cocktail for each of the girls. "They're non-alcoholic," Ji Hoo said, handing a hurricane glass—filled with a cherry red substance and a wedge of orange on the side—to Jan Di and Ga Eul.

"Gomawo, Sunbae," Jan Di and Ga Eul thanked him.

Then, Yi Jeong and Woo Bin urged Jun Pyo and Ji Hoo to join them in dancing.

"Would you like to dance, Jan Di-yah?" Ji Hoo asked.

"Sunbae, I thought you only knew the fancy dances…"

Ji Hoo gave her a radiant smile, "Well, I guess you don't know everything about me, Geum Jan Di," and he caught her by the hand.

It was not like Ji Hoo to behave in such a way. Usually he would sit these sorts of things out, but Jan Di seemed to bring out a different side to him. And he realized that it was because he was…happy. He didn't recall ever feeling as happy as he was when he was with her…


Ji Hoo began dragging Jan Di out to the dance floor, and as he did so, Jan Di caught Ga Eul by the hand and pulled her along, too. And they all danced together in a circle.

After the dance, Jun Pyo got on his phone. "Show time!" Jun Pyo called out, and they all heard a loud whizzing sound and then a bang, as the dark sky was lit up by an explosion of color.

Jan Di and Ga Eul stared up at the sky, smiling in wonderment. And Ji Hoo stood at Jan Di's side. As they watched the fireworks, Ji Hoo draped an arm around Jan Di's shoulders, and she instinctively snuggled in a bit closer, enjoying the warmth and scent of him.

Oblivious to them, Jun Pyo was watching them closely and frowning…


Back in South Korea…

Madam Kang sat in her office, thumbing through a stack of documents. She took a sip of wine from the crystal glass upon her desk.

Secretary Jung entered and bowed deeply before her.

"Where is Jun Pyo?" she asked, without bothering to greet him or look up.

Secretary Jung cleared his throat. "According to the report from the private plane, he left for New Caledonia at 5:00."

Madam Kang stopped what she was doing and looked up at him, with cold, empty eyes. "Why did he go there?"

"Madam, he went for a weekend trip for some fresh air."

"I see," Madam Kang pursed her lips. Secretary Jung prepared to leave.

She drummed her nails upon her desk. "Did you check on who he went with?"

Secretary Jung nodded. "I did. …He went with his F4 friends."

Madam Kang shook her head and exhaled sharply. "F4…," she mumbled sarcastically. "When is he going to stop being the leader of that childish F4?"

Secretary Jung said nothing but simply asked if she needed anything further. She denied needing anything, and her assistant bowed and took his leave.

Madam Kang sighed, and she vowed to put an end to such nonsense, very soon. It was about time her son grew up…


The following day…

The group enjoyed a breakfast buffet and then prepared to go horseback riding along the beach. Ji Hoo helped Jan Di onto her horse. Jan Di felt more comfortable on a horse now, given that she had gone riding with Ji Hoo before.

Ga Eul put her foot in the stirrup, but she struggled to pull herself onto the large animal. She in a breath in surprise when she felt someone capture her by the hips. She turned to see Yi Jeong, who proceeded to lift her onto the saddle. They exchanged an awkward glance and then Yi Jeong silently walked off.


After their late morning ride, F4 got a friendly volleyball match going on the beach with the two beautiful western girls. Jan Di and Ga Eul had attempted to talk to the girls, but they didn't really understand much of what they were saying. All Jan Di and Ga Eul had managed to get was that their names were Kristen and Molly, and they were "friends" of Yi Jeong and Woo Bin.

Jun Pyo, Yi Jeong, and Kristen were teamed up on one side of the net, and Ji Hoo, Woo Bin, and Molly were playing against them on the other side. Jan Di and Ga Eul were watching from the sidelines—cheering and being silly with a couple of pool noodles.

Midway through the game, the score was tied up, and they all took a drink break to combat the heat. Ji Hoo took a swig of a power drink and then went over to visit with Jan Di.

Ji Hoo took Jan Di aside. "Hi," he said, smiling.

"Hi," Jan Di smiled back. "You're doing great out there!" she exclaimed.

"Thanks. Hey, why don't you join us?"

"Oh, I don't know how to play, Sunbae …"

"I could easily teach you…," he grinned at her and placed one hand on his hip, leaning in slightly.

Jan Di flushed lightly and pursed her lips. "Well, I don't know…"

"Ya, Loverboy!" Woo Bin called out to Ji Hoo, "You comin'?"

Ji Hoo glanced over; the teams had assembled again.

Jun Pyo scowled over at them, and—feeling inexplicably annoyed—squeezed the ball harder and harder between his palms.

"Yeah, stop flirting and get back to the game!" Yi Jeong shouted out, good-naturedly.

"In a second…," Ji Hoo replied with a chuckle, and he turned back to Jan Di. "I better go…," Ji Hoo placed a quick peck upon her cheek—causing Jan Di to blush—and then he happily jogged out to rejoin the game.

His patience hopelessly lost, Jun Pyo shouted out, "Aish, finally, Ji Hoo! Are you done trying to cheat by gaining extra players?!"

Ji Hoo squinted over at Jun Pyo—who did not seem at all happy—on the other side of the net. "I wasn't trying to cheat. It's just a friendly game, and I thought Jan Di might want to play," Ji Hoo replied.

"Well, we already have a game going and there are even teams. It's no fair adding people now!"

"Fine," Ji Hoo replied. "It's your serve, Jun Pyo…"

Jun Pyo tossed the ball up in the air and delivered a powerful serve over the net. It went whizzing toward Molly, who flinched and put out her arms in preparation. Ji Hoo dove for the ball but couldn't reach it in time, and he slid roughly across the sand.

Jun Pyo began cheering and slapping hands with his teammates.

"Whoa, man, take it easy…," Woo Bin commented.

Ji Hoo got up off the ground. "Yea, Jun Pyo, you almost hit Molly. Remember, this is just for fun, and we are playing with girls here…"

"Yea, I know; I'm looking at one now!" Jun Pyo childishly retorted—staring straight at Ji Hoo without even the slightest hint of a smile.

"Wow…Jun Pyo, that was—"

"Cold, man!" Woo Bin finished for Ji Hoo.

Ji Hoo shook his head. "So, you're going to resort to trash-talk now, Jun Pyo?"

"Let's just get back to the game!" Jun Pyo grumbled, and Woo Bin tossed the ball back across the net.


Jan Di and Ga Eul sat on a beach towel on the side of the net; they exchanged a curious look. And Jan Di wondered if she'd missed something… The once lighthearted game had apparently turned into some macho, testosterone-instilled battle between Jun Pyo and Ji Hoo.

Ji Hoo had planned to shrug off Jun Pyo's behavior, but he suddenly really wanted to beat him…

The game ended with Ji Hoo and Woo Bin's team coming out on top. And the teams shook hands. But when it was Ji Hoo and Jun Pyo's turn to shake, Jun Pyo smacked Ji Hoo's hand away and walked off.

Yi Jeong and Woo Bin looked between each other, and Ji Hoo simply stared after Jun Pyo for a moment. F3 all knew that Jun Pyo was highly competitive—and yes, he hated to lose—but his bad sportsmanship was not always so blatant

"What's the matter with him all of a sudden?" Yi Jeong puzzled. Jun Pyo had been displaying some crazy mood swings lately, particularly during this trip.

Woo Bin shook his head. "I don't know man, but dang! I knew Jun Pyo was competitive, but he was like out for blood today…"

Ji Hoo tightened his jaw and released a heavy sigh.


Later that day…

F3 and the girls were hanging out at the beach, lounging. Ji Hoo had gone off somewhere, so Jan Di decided to go and look for him. She found him down by the docks, standing on a small sailboat and raising the sail.

"Where are you going?" she asked.

Ji Hoo turned to her. "Fishing," he replied.

"On that boat?" she questioned.

"Yes, all you need is a white cloth and some wind, and you can go anywhere," he replied, smiling brightly. "Would you like to go?" he asked.

"Is that OK?"

The corners of Ji Hoo's mouth twitched. "As long as you don't scare the fish away," he countered playfully. Jan Di chuckled and nodded.

Ji Hoo helped Jan Di onto the boat. She sat down, smoothing out her skirt and allowing her bare legs to dangle over the edge. And Ji Hoo showed her the ropes of fishing.

First, he showed her how to bait the hook. Jan Di squealed while attempting to do so; Ji Hoo chuckled and did it for her. "Don't tell me the brave, tough Geum Jan Di is afraid of a little worm…," Ji Hoo teased, and Jan Di shoved him lightly.

"I'm not afraid! I was just…surprised when it started wriggling like that…," she informed him, poking out her cheeks slightly. And Jan Di insisted she wanted to try it again.

Then, Ji Hoo showed Jan Di the mechanics of the rod and reel. He took her hand in his and guided her through casting the line. Jan Di smiled to herself and bit her lip lightly at their closeness. It wasn't like it was the first time they'd been close like this, but it still did things to her…

Once the line was cast, Ji Hoo instructed Jan Di on keeping the line tight so as to detect for a bite. While they watched the line together, Jan Di asked, "Sunbae, how did you learn so much about fishing?"

Ji Hoo had been smiling, but his expression suddenly changed and he became more somber. "From my grandfather…," he said.

"Oh, so you and your harabeoji went fishing together?" Jan Di asked.

"No," Ji Hoo responded immediately, lowering his eyes. Jan Di studied Ji Hoo's face.

"Oh," she said, casting her eyes downward.

"We were going to, but…," he paused, "we…never got the chance…," he finished abruptly.

Jan Di looked at Ji Hoo again, concerned by his sudden change in mood. It seemed as though there was more to the story—perhaps even a painful memory hidden there—but he obviously did not want to tell her at this time… Perhaps his grandfather had passed away before they could go fishing together…


All of a sudden, Jan Di jumped. "Oh, Sunbae, I felt something!" she gasped.

Ji Hoo's smile returned. "Yes, that was a bite, Jan Di."

"What do I do, Sunbae?!" Jan Di asked in an insistent whisper.

"Just start to reel in a bit…," he instructed, and she did so. "OK, easy…the fish is just nibbling right now… Wait now…," he said. And Ji Hoo and Jan Di watched the line—Jan Di was staring intently—as the fish tugged at it from beneath the water. Ji Hoo briefly glanced to Jan Di and a sweet smile crossed his lips.

"OK, Jan Di, now you're going to give a quick yank to hook it…"

Ji Hoo placed his hand over hers and together they jerked back, hooking their catch, and finally bringing in the small, speckled fish. Ji Hoo pulled it up and unhooked it. Jan Di expressed concern for the fish, but Ji Hoo assured her that the fish didn't feel it, though she wasn't quite sure she believed him…

"Well, I suppose we do eat fish…," she said.

He smiled and presented their catch to Jan Di. "Here. You release it," he said.

"We're letting it go?"

"Yes. It's still quite small… We'll let it grow up a bit more… Besides, I can't bear to eat fish from such a beautiful place…," Ji Hoo flashed Jan Di a dazzling smile, one that was completely infectious and that she couldn't help but return.

Jan Di took the fish from Ji Hoo and bid it farewell before tossing it back into its watery home. "Bye fish!" Jan Di waved, and she and Ji Hoo—smiling—watched it swim away.


Meanwhile, back on the beach, Ga Eul occupied herself with taking some selfies with the beautiful beach scenery in the background.

It was certainly not every day that she was in such an amazing place, and she wanted to document it fully. She struck various poses—at all different angles—while attempting to get the most background in that she could. She sprawled out upon the white sand and held out her phone, while winking and making kissy faces at the camera.

While outstretched upon the beach, Ga Eul glanced to her right briefly and noticed So Yi Jeong approaching her. He was dressed all in white and was coolly strolling up to her—one hand in pocket and grinning.

"You're putting forth a lot of effort…," Yi Jeong commented when he came in range. He was still grinning at her like the Cheshire Cat.

What does he want?!

Ga Eul quickly stood. She scowled at Yi Jeong over her shoulder, as she hastily walked away from him.

Sure, he was attractive, but Chu Ga Eul was not so easily swayed by a pretty face… She was still perturbed with him, after all, for tricking her and worrying her about Ji Hoo's intentions for Jan Di…and not to mention, for insinuating that she was eating too much and would get chubby…

Ga Eul waded into the water and got into a paddle boat, hoping to escape the gorgeous Casanova at sea. But he continued to follow her. He gave the boat a little push and hopped in beside her.

Ga Eul tightened . "Why are you following me?"

Yi Jeong simply grinned. "You won't be able to handle it on your own…though your legs look strong enough…," he glanced down at her shapely limbs and folded his arms.

Ga Eul tossed him a subtle sneer, unsure whether his comment was meant as a compliment or an insult.

"So, shall we finish our conversation from before?" he asked.

"Was there more to be said?" Ga Eul responded.

Yi Jeong smirked. "So, where have the two lovebirds gone off to now?"

"I'm not sure. Why? Why are you so interested, anyway, Sunbae…?" Ga Eul eyed Yi Jeong suspiciously.

Yi Jeong shrugged. "Just wondering…"

"And why do you say it so sarcastically? Do you have some problem with Jan Di and Ji Hoo Sunbae dating?"

"No, no problem per se… I'm happy for them. And they seem very happy together, at this time."

"What does that mean?"

"Well, it's just…," Yi Jeong paused and stared out across the water, "you have known Geum Jan Di for a long time, right?"

"Yes…"

"And Ji Hoo is her first boyfriend…"

"Yes, so…? What are you getting at…?"

"Do you really think it will last between them?"

"Why are you so sure it won't?" Ga Eul demanded. "What are you insinuating, Sunbae?"

"Nothing… It's just that they're so different…and first loves rarely last… Also, I know a little about women, and Jan Di seems to be the type who is attracted to bad boys…"

"Ridiculous! Well, maybe you don't know as much as you think… Jan Di happens to like nice guys. And not last…?" Ga Eul scoffed. "Ji Hoo Sunbae could very well be Jan Di's soulmate!"

A sardonic smile crossed Yi Jeong's lips. "Soulmate, huh?" How naïve... "You really believe in such a thing…?"

Ga Eul studied Yi Jeong for a moment. The way he said that, with such disdain; he almost sounded jaded

They say that a strong no is a yes, and Ga Eul wondered if perhaps that applied to F4's Casanova here... For some reason, she suspected that there was much more to him below the surface… Perhaps, underneath that pretty exterior—cool and smooth as steel—there lurked a child inside, one who simply wanted to be loved… And despite how difficult it was to believe, perhaps So Yi Jeong had even lost in love at one time… Had he been hurt deeply? Were she to peel back that extra layer of detachment and bravado, would she discover that there was more to So Yi Jeong than a cold-hearted Casanova….?

Or, did she simply want there to be…?

Ga Eul tore herself from her reverie. "Of course, I do. A playboy like you wouldn't understand the concept… But, I believe there is one perfect person out there for everyone…"

Yi Jeong folded his arms tighter. "So, have you met your soulmate, Ga Eul-yang?" He had to admit, he was a bit curious, even if it was a ridiculous notion…

"No," she replied, "but when I do…," she raised her eyes skyward, almost dreamily. "I'm not going to let him go…because if I did, I would regret it for the rest of my life…"

Ga Eul turned to Yi Jeong when he said nothing. He was suddenly staring out with a faraway look in his eyes. "Ya, start peddling! I've been doing it on my own this whole time!" she exclaimed.

The corners of Yi Jeong's mouth twitched slightly, and he began to peddle.


The following day…

Ji Hoo had hoped to spend the day alone with Jan Di—he got so little time back home—but it was not easy to arrange, given that F3 and Ga Eul were along, as well.

Though Jan Di really wanted to spend time alone with Ji Hoo, too, she had been reluctant to agree to the whole afternoon, for she was concerned about leaving Ga Eul by herself. But Ji Hoo had attempted to ease her worries earlier that day.

"She won't be by herself. Yi Jeong will entertain her," Ji Hoo informed Jan Di.

"Entertain her?"

"Yes, he'll keep her company."

"That's what I'm afraid of…," Jan Di tightened her lips. She didn't relish the idea of leaving her best friend in the hands of F4's Casanova.

"Don't worry, Jan Di-yah. I've known Yi Jeong for a long time. He may be a Casanova, but he can be a gentleman when he wants to be… He'd never force himself on anyone or do anything inappropriate with Ga Eul…"

"Well, I wasn't even thinking that! Now I'm worried!"

Ji Hoo laughed. "No need to worry. I promise you that Yi Jeong will take good care of Ga Eul."


After convincing Jan Di that everything would be perfectly fine, Ji Hoo took Jan Di by boat to the nearby Isle of Pines.

Together, the two walked and talked along the white sandy beach. Then, Jan Di started a game of tag, and they playfully chased each other along the shore. Jan Di taunted Ji Hoo that he would never catch her, and when he inevitably did, he imprisoned her by the waist and lifted her into his arms.

And Ji Hoo began to carry Jan Di bridal-style toward the lagoon…

"What are you doing, Sunbae?!" Jan Di protested, as she clung to his neck.

"Prepare yourself, little otter… You're about to get wet…," Ji Hoo promised, with a gleam in his eye.

Jan Di squinted up at Ji Hoo. "You…wouldn't…dare…," she muttered.

"Oh, wouldn't I?" he grinned down at her playfully, as he began to wade out into the lagoon.

Ji Hoo ventured further out into the warm, crystal clear turquoise water—it was up past his waist now. Then, he stopped—determining that this was a good spot—and grinned down at Jan Di. "OK, you're going in now…"

"Well, if I go in, you're coming with me…," she warned. Ji Hoo simply gave Jan Di a mischievous smile and ignored her threat. He swung her back gently, and Jan Di held on tighter, as he prepared to toss her into the water.

"Oh, no, no, no, Sunbae, don't, please!" Jan Di shrieked at the last second.

He paused. "What's the matter, Jan Di-yah…? You are an otter, are you not? You love the water and swimming, and what better place to do so than here…?"

"Yes, you're right, but…well…I'm not ready…," she pleaded with large eyes and wore the hint of a pout.

She was almost too adorable for him to resist, and Ji Hoo's resolve wavered, but only for a moment. With a smirk, he tossed her in anyway.

Jan Di squealed, as she went flying through the air. She went fully underwater and quickly came back up to the surface, sputtering and brushing the matted hair out of her eyes.

"Sunbae! I can't believe you did that!" she shouted, looking utterly shocked and betrayed. Ji Hoo laughed wholeheartedly.

Jan Di tightened and gripped onto Ji Hoo's t-shirt. Catching him off-guard, she yanked him down by the collar and pushed him beneath the water to gain her revenge. When Ji Hoo re-surfaced, his white t-shirt clung to him, revealing every perfect curve. And Jan Di had to force herself not to stare.

Ji Hoo ran both hands through his hair in one smooth motion, slicking back his copper hair. "I can't believe you did that, Otter…"

"Well, serves you right," Jan Di laughed and stuck her tongue out at him, swimming backward a few paces. "You started it, anyway…"

"That may be…," he slowly moved toward her, smirking, "…but you're going to pay for that, Geum Jan Di…"

Jan Di shook her head and stuck her tongue out at him again, and then she gave him a splash before swimming further out to sea.


And Ji Hoo began to swim after her. Jan Di warned him to stay away from her, as she backstroked away from him with a speed and stealth that rivaled her aquatic mammalian namesake.

Ji Hoo continued to pursue her—she was quick and a strong swimmer, but then again, so was he... He reached her and captured her around the waist. Jan Di in a gulp of air, as he wrapped his arms around her and drew her closer to him.

Jan Di's breath quickened, and her heart began to pound at the feel of their wet bodies pressed against each other, their clothing lightly sticking. She hesitantly placed her hands flat upon his chest, and she could feel his heart beginning to beat faster and faster against her palms…

And they stared into one another's eyes… Water droplets had beaded up at the tips of Ji Hoo's bangs and along his dark eyelashes. Ji Hoo held Jan Di up as the calm waves lightly caressed them and they tread the warm water together.


There was no space between them, and she was utterly at his mercy, but she didn't mind one bit. For, Jan Di trusted Ji Hoo completely. She trusted him with her heart, her body, and even with her life. The thing was…she wasn't so sure she trusted herself with him…

Sometimes the good girl Jan Di had always thought herself to be seemed to struggle in his presence, and there were times when she wished she could take things a bit further...

They had only been dating for three months now, so it was certainly not appropriate to move too quickly…but their current closeness, combined with the way he was looking at her right now, threatened to make her lose her senses.

What would he think of her if he knew her true thoughts…?

Then, Ji Hoo's head dipped, and he slowly leaned in toward her…

Even when Jan Di was fully expecting a kiss from him, her heart still raced in anticipation—it always did so—reaching its fastest just before his lips met hers...


Fortunately—or unfortunately, depending on the point of view—the chemical moment was broken, by movement out a few meters from them…

Jan Di's head snapped toward the motion, "Sunbae, look, a sea turtle!" and she pointed toward the swimming beast.

Ji Hoo watched Jan Di's eyes grow luminous as she observed the beautiful creature moving slowly, yet gracefully through the water. She looked so cute. He loved the way her eyes twinkled and her whole face lit up brighter than the sun when she got excited about the small things. And he absolutely loved seeing her so happy and completely at ease… A warm sensation spread throughout Ji Hoo's entire body, and he felt truly at peace…

Ji Hoo held Jan Di against his chest, and they both watched the turtle.

Jan Di turned back to Ji Hoo after a moment, smiling appreciatively. "Thank you for bringing me here, Sunbae. It's so beautiful here…"

He smiled down at her. "You are even more beautiful…," he said, as he gazed lovingly into her eyes.

And in that moment, as he looked upon her, he knew for certain that he would do anything and everything to make her happy…

"Ji Hoo…," she uttered breathily.


Ji Hoo never used to speak so freely as he did with Jan Di, but there was just something about her that made him feel…different… He felt like a different version of himself—a better version—when he was with her. Jan Di was so unique compared to every other girl he'd ever known, so special

There were so many things Ji Hoo loved about Jan Di: her purity, her innocence, her courageous spirit, her appreciation for life's simplest of pleasures…


Ji Hoo held Jan Di tighter around the waist, while she clasped her arms around his neck. And Ji Hoo leaned in again… Jan Di's lips parted and her eyelashes fluttered closed in anticipation, and he placed a soft kiss upon her lips.

Ji Hoo's kisses were simultaneously Jan Di's salvation and her torment, and her head began to swirl.

She opened her eyes as they broke away. Ji Hoo stared down into her dark orbs, silently asking for her permission to proceed… She gave him no reason to hesitate, so he kissed her again—more fervently this time. He deepened the kiss, and their breathing mingled, as they clung to each other.


After their swim in the lagoon, Ji Hoo took Jan Di on a glass-bottom boat and then snorkeling. They swam hand-in-hand, marveling at all the colorful tropical fishes swimming freely within the crystal-clear waters along the barrier reef. Ji Hoo clasped Jan Di's hand and led her toward a school of fishes… The fishes did not swim away, and Jan Di reached out her hand to touch them.

Next, Ji Hoo took Jan Di to the top of the Amedee Lighthouse…

"What an amazing view! You can see the entire island!" Jan Di exclaimed, as they looked out over the alabaster balcony lined with star-shaped stone pillars.

And all of a sudden, Jan Di grew somber.

"Oh, what is it, Jan Di-yah?" Ji Hoo approached her, placing a hand upon her arm.

Jan Di put on a smile. "Nothing really, Ji Hoo-yah…"

But he didn't seem convinced.

Jan Di sighed, as she stared out over the balcony. "…It's just that…it's so beautiful here… I just wish that my family could have come, too..."

"I'm so sorry, Jan Di-yah… But we'll come back, and next time we'll bring your family. I promise."

Jan Di smiled widely and pressed a thankful kiss into his cheek.

To Be Continued…


A/N: Sorry if this chapter wasn't very good or ended in a weird place. I was planning to leave it off on a cliffhanger, but it got long and just didn't divide up well... Pretty lovey-dovey, yea... There will be more conflict next chapter. I hope it wasn't too similar to the events in the show.

Teaser for Next Chapter: New Caledonia Part II: Jan Di gets into trouble. Jan Di and Ji Hoo talk about his feelings for Seo Hyun. Jun Pyo comforts Jan Di and realizes that his feelings for her haven't gone away. Jun Pyo and Ji Hoo get into a heated argument, and one member of F4 unexpectedly leaves the island early, alone...