Family and Friendship Part II

Something Happened to My Heart

A/N: I apologize for the long delay, but I'm working on multiple projects, and now I am in the midst of writing a novel for the National Novel Writer's Month (NaNoWriMo) contest. The challenge is to write a novel of 50,000 words in a month. It's progressing fairly well, though I'm a tad behind schedule. Hopefully, I can catch up.

For Nano, it's all about word count (not editing), so I am forced to just write without stopping much to edit my writing, which I usually do. Typically, I do a lot of word tweaking, etc in the middle of writing and after. It's interesting what comes out when I just free-write, and I admit that it does go faster–that is, when I don't have writer's block. Anyway, once I finish this novel, I plan to vigorously edit it, get some input, and search for a publisher or agent. Wish me luck! Just a little update on me...

As for this fic, I'm reaching that midpoint of the story when things get a little murky and you're not quite sure where to take it. Oh, I have plenty more ideas in store for later on, but this is the part where I (and many other writers) struggle to make it through. Some writers are planners and some are what they call 'pantsers,' meaning they just write by the seat of their pants (whatever comes to mind without stopping to think about it or plan much). I would say that I am in-between (a plantser). Sometimes I plan a story out thoroughly (that's not to say that it won't change along the way, though), and I do use outlines and brainstorming techniques, but other times, I just start writing with a beginning, end, and vague middle in mind. I usually incorporate an outline when it is a long, difficult story or I'm at a particularly challenging part.

I admit that for this story I've been doing a lot of writing off the cuff, just trying to follow the BOF storyline to some extent, but of course altering the events and the timeline and adding some new ones. Again, I don't want it to be too similar to BOF or to be a straight role-reversal of the main characters/pairings (because the characters of Ji Hoo and Jun Pyo are so different), so it's been tricky. It's also been tough to throw in obstacles for JanHoo. Let's face it, people, they're just too perfect together. That's not to say that they don't have issues to deal with (e.g., communication, Jan Di's awkwardness, Ji Hoo's past demons, other people/drama), so I'm using those things and throwing in interesting conflicts where I can…

Next on the agenda, for those keeping track, is Like the Lotus: The Next Generation. I actually miss my kiddos, so it'll be fun getting back to them and the rest of the BOF gang. The LTLTNG update will be followed by either GGABB or Open Hearts, whichever is ready first.


Chapter Eleven: Family and Friendship Part II

While Jun Pyo was being dragged off by his mother's bodyguards, Jan Di was left alone in the middle of the mall with the coveted prize in her hands. She was thrilled to have won it, but she felt bad for Jun Pyo. She had no idea his mother was so controlling...although, F3 had tipped her off about this before. She recalled Ji Hoo relating the story of the time they had skipped school and how Jun Pyo's mother had sent the S.W.A.T. team after them. Jan Di had to admit she'd thought it was a joke or exaggeration at first, but now, she was inclined to believe it.

Shaking it off for the time being, Jan Di focused on her success‒well, their success, and she supposed she owed Jun Pyo some kind of thank you. Perhaps she should buy or make something for him? A Christmas present, perhaps…

Upon realizing she was still onstage, Jan Di thanked the announcer and hurried off. She walked through the mall in a daze, smiling down at the handcrafted case containing the beautiful music box. Somehow, she managed to make it out the door, and she headed over to the bus stop and sat down. And she opened up the box and gawked at the golden prize. It's so amazing. I think Ji Hoo is really going to like this…

Jan Di closed the lid and set the box down on the bench. As she did so, her phone rang. She picked it up and saw Ji Hoo's name on the caller ID. "Yoboseyo," she answered right away, still grinning over what she had for him. He greeted back and asked where she was right now. "Oh, I'm just leaving the mall. I...had to get something for my mom," she fibbed.

. . .

"No, don't come pick me up. I'm fine."

. . .

"Uh, I can't. I need to help my mom with something." She told another tiny lie.

Ji Hoo had wanted to meet her when she got back, but she didn't want him to see the gift because she wanted it to be a surprise. She also wanted some time to wrap the gift and prepare something for Jun Pyo, as well.

After a brief conversation, she ended the call. "Yeah, I'll see you tomorrow. OK, bye." And she hung up.


Meanwhile Ji Hoo was in the F4 lounge. He ended the call with Jan Di and sat down in his usual chair, across from Yi Jeong and Woo Bin on the couch. Yi Jeong had just received a call, too, from Jun Pyo, who they hadn't seen or heard from all day.

"What? What happened?" Yi Jeong raised his voice into the phone, causing Woo Bin and Ji Hoo to turn their heads toward him.

On the phone, Jun Pyo repeated, "I said, the Witch's goons dragged me back to my house, and that's where I am."

"Dragged you home from where?" Yi Jeong asked.

"The mall."

"The mall? What were you doing at the mall?"

"I was shopping with Geu–" he started to say her name but stopped. "I was shopping, just shopping."

"Shopping? Oh. Okay." Yi Jeong simply shrugged, though he suspected there was more to this than Jun Pyo was telling. He finished the call with Jun Pyo shortly after.

The strange, pensive look spread across the Casanova's face befuddled Woo Bin. "What was that all about?"

"Nothing. It was nothing," Yi Jeong replied. He honestly wasn't quite sure, himself.

As for Ji Hoo, he had been off in his thoughts. Jun Pyo was at the mall, and so was Jan Di. Coincidence?

"It didn't seem like nothing," Ji Hoo suddenly spoke up. "Jun Pyo was at the mall, you say?"

Yi Jeong nodded. "Yeah, he said he was shopping. I guess he just got the urge to do that. You know how he goes off on a whim sometimes. Well, he ran into his mother there, and her guys dragged him off."

"That's odd," Woo Bin remarked.

"But why would…?" Ji Hoo stopped mid-sentence because he'd already formulated an opinion. If Jun Pyo's mother dragged him off from the mall, there could only be a couple of reasons… But Ji Hoo's head was filled with many questions. Had Jan Di been with Jun Pyo, and Madam Kang saw them together? That would surely put her on alert, seeing him with a girl. Did Madam Kang know of Jan Di's background? If she did, she would never approve of them associating with each other in any way. And furthermore, if Jan Di had been shopping with Jun Pyo, why didn't she tell him?

Yi Jeong shrugged it off, and Woo Bin changed the subject. "So, no Jan Di today, Ji Hoo?" Woo Bin asked.

"She's working," Ji Hoo lied, not wanting to give F2 any suspicions. He was sure Jan Di had a good reason for lying to him or at least leaving out vital information…


When Jan Di got home, she placed the music box carefully on her desk. She arranged it carefully and smiled down at the prize. Then she looked around her room for something to wrap it in. She found some leftover wrapping paper from her father's birthday party. It was a shiny red color; it looked nice and would be just enough to cover the music box, so she decided to use it.

After wrapping Ji Hoo's gift, she lay down on her bed and started thinking about a dual thank you/Christmas gift for Gu Jun Pyo. After all, he'd helped her a lot today, and his story about being all alone at the holidays was so sad that it had gotten to her. But what could the heir to Shinwha, a guy who had everything, possibly want?

A couple of ideas came to mind, all of which sounded horrible, but one stuck out more than the others. So, she leaped off her bed, rummaged around the house for supplies as inconspicuous as she could, and got to work on it.


The next day, Jan Di and Ji Hoo were at the stairwell. They'd managed to steal a few moments between classes to meet, a rare but pleasant occurrence these days. Side by side, both had their backs against the edge of the balcony and were staring out ahead.

"How are you doing?" Jan Di asked Ji Hoo as he'd seemed a bit distant lately.

"I'm fine."

She wasn't quite convinced. "Sunbae...you would tell me if something was wrong, right?" Looking away, she fidgeted with her fingers.

"Yes."

Jan Di nodded.

As for Ji Hoo, he had something he wanted to give Jan Di, but he was a bit nervous about it, and he wasn't sure of the timing. He supposed he could wait until Christmas and give it to her then. Another thing was, he was still confused about the whole mall incident. He wanted to ask her about it but didn't want to seem like he was accusing her of anything, so he kept quiet. Heaving a small sigh, he inched closer to Jan Di and put an arm around her shoulders. She leaned into him instinctively and rotated a bit to hug him around the waist. In turn, he wrapped both arms around her and kissed the top of her head.

Her face buried in his chest, "Sunbae, do you think Gu Jun Pyo needs a girlfriend?" Jan Di murmured.

That wasn't something Ji Hoo expected to come out of .

"What?" He pulled back and held her by the arms, fighting the tiniest sliver of jealousy over the fact that she was thinking about Jun Pyo during their hug.

Jan Di looked up at him. "I don't know; he just seems lonely…," she explained. "I mean, he has you guys, and that's great, but wouldn't it be nice if he had a girl to spend time with?"

"I suppose so." Ji Hoo released her arms and sidled up next to her again.

"Although, we might be hard-pressed to find a girl willing to go out with him." Her comment instantly diffused the tension.

Ji Hoo chuckled. "I don't know about that. Jun Pyo is very popular at Shinwha."

"Yeah, but those girls only want to date him because of his name and his wealth. He needs a girl who likes him for him. Hmm," she tapped her chin, "Where can we find a girl like that...a nice, unmaterialistic girl, who Jun Pyo would like and who would like him back?"

Aside from the one I'm looking at, Ji Hoo thought. But he only shrugged.

Ji Hoo knew how Jun Pyo felt about Jan Di, and his best friend could certainly have a one-track mind, so it would probably take some time for Jun Pyo to set his sights elsewhere. And the girl would have to be something pretty special, to turn his head as Jan Di did. If only there were more of you out there, Jan Di, he mused.

"What about Woo Bin Sunbae and Yi Jeong Sunbae? They know a lot of girls. Do you think they could introduce him to someone?"

"Well, they don't exactly date 'nice' girls, Jan Di, if that's what you're looking for for Jun Pyo."

"Hm, yeah, good point."

"I wouldn't worry, though, Jan Di. I'm sure Jun Pyo will find a girl he likes eventually." Ji Hoo didn't know what more to say on the subject. He hoped it would happen someday.

"Yeah, I hope so…Gu Jun Pyo really isn't so bad, you know?"

Ji Hoo smirked. "Did I actually hear those words come from the lips of Geum Jan Di?"

She gave her boyfriend a little shove. "Yeah, well...I've recently learned that he has his good points."

Ji Hoo nodded, wondering what exactly she meant by that, but he ceased to think about it when Jan Di linked arms with him and rested her head against his arm.


After school, Ji Hoo was once more in the F4 lounge with Woo Bin and Yi Jeong. Jun Pyo had, oddly, gone straight home without meeting up with them. While Woo Bin and Yi Jeong chatted, Ji Hoo was fidgeting with something in his jacket pocket. This got the attention of F2.

"Ji Hoo, what are you doing? What do you have there?" Woo Bin asked, catching Ji Hoo off guard.

"What?" Ji Hoo muttered distractedly.

"In your pocket."

"Oh." Ji Hoo hesitated before pulling out a small, blue velvet box.

"What's that, Ji Hoo?" Yi Jeong asked, eyeing the box.

"Nothing."

"Nothing, huh?" Woo Bin quirked a brow. "It looks like a jewelry box. Is it perhaps something for Jan Di?"

"Maybe. And no, I'm not proposing," he said quickly before his friends could start with any of their hilarious jokes.

But that didn't stop their teasing. "Giving her jewelry, huh? Let me see!" Woo Bin reached for the box, but Ji Hoo quickly retracted it.

"No." Ji Hoo stuck it back in his pocket.

Having glimpsed the name on the box, Yi Jeong tapped his chin thoughtfully. "Wait, I know that jeweler…" He pointed toward the hidden box. "You must have spent quite a bit on that."

"Yeah, it's not like you to splurge like that, Ji Hoo," Woo Bin chimed in.

Ji Hoo shrugged and looked away. "Well, she's...special."

Yi Jeong and Woo Bin noticed he was blushing a bit, and they grinned at each other. But before they could further, Ji Hoo turned the tables on them. "How do you two know about this jeweler, anyway? Are you telling me that F4's Don Juan and Casanova have had to resort to buying expensive jewelry to get women?"

"Never had to." Yi Jeong grinned.

"But it's a nice touch in some cases," Woo Bin quipped.

"Although, maybe you shouldn't set the bar so high so soon, Ji Hoo," Yi Jeong added.

"What do you mean?"

"It's just that maybe you're moving too fast. You shouldn't buy her expensive jewelry until you're ready to propose. You don't want to get expectations up."

Ji Hoo rolled his eyes.

"And it is Geum Jan Di...," Woo Bin commented. Ji Hoo waited for his explanation.

"Yeah, she doesn't care about expensive things," Yi Jeong finished his thought. And Ji Hoo nodded.

"So, why? Were you perhaps trying to…?'

Ji Hoo cut off the insinuation immediately. "You guys are mistaken. It's not about impressing her or getting anything from her...I just want to give her something to show I care."

Woo Bin and Yi Jeong exchanged a touched look. "How sweet of you," the Casanova remarked.

"So, let us see it," Woo Bin urged.

"No."

"Why?" they asked in unison.

"Because you wouldn't understand it."

Woo Bin feigned hurt.

"Why's that, Ji Hoo?" Yi Jeong asked. Ji Hoo just glanced away.

"Is it perhaps something private between the two of you?" Woo Bin suggested.

"Yeah, it must be symbolic of their love," Yi Jeong joined in.

Ji Hoo set his jaw and stared down at his hands in his lap.

"That must be it." Yi Jeong folded his arms with pride over having guessed.

"I hope she likes it," was all Ji Hoo said.

"I'm sure she will. It came from you, after all," Woo Bin said sincerely. And Yi Jeong nodded along. "Yeah, everyone knows Geum Jan Di is crazy about you."

Ji Hoo smiled to himself.

F2 then continued their onslaught of teasing, acting out the scene of Jan Di accepting his gift. Yi Jeong played Jan Di, and Woo Bin pretended to be Ji Hoo presenting the gift. Yi Jeong faked opening the box, and his eyes lit up. "Oh, Sunbae, it's so amazing!" He batted his eyelashes. Woo Bin cleared his throat; he stuck his hands in his pockets and shuffled from side to side. "I'm glad you like it, Jan Di."

"Have you guys ever met Geum Jan Di?" The real Ji Hoo chimed in, "She'd never act like that."

"You're right. She's not very feminine," Yi Jeong remarked, shaking his head. And Ji Hoo rolled his eyes.

"Anyway, don't worry, Ji Hoo-ah." Woo Bin clapped him on the back.

"Yeah, I'm sure she'll like it, but you really won't let us see what it is?" Yi Jeong asked.

Ji Hoo shook his head. Woo Bin and Yi Jeong tried a couple more times to snatch the box out of his pocket, but Ji Hoo avoided them and got up from his seat. "I'm going to leave if you don't stop."

"Fine," Yi Jeong said.

"Yeah, sorry Ji Hoo-ah. We'll stop," Woo Bin added.

Ji Hoo sat down again, and after a moment or two, Yi Jeong spoke up. "All jokes aside, how are things going between you two?"

"Good."

"Really?" Woo Bin questioned.

"Yes, why?"

"Well, you haven't been around much lately, and you seem kinda bummed."

Ji Hoo exhaled. "It's just this time of year."

"We know." Woo Bin placed a hand on Ji Hoo's shoulder. "But even Jan Di noticed, and she's worried about you."

Yi Jeong nodded in agreement.

Ji Hoo also recalled Jan Di questioning him earlier, but how were his friends aware of this? "How do you know that?"

"She said so," Woo Bin replied.

Ji Hoo sighed and wrung his hands.

"Look, we know how you get this time of year, Ji Hoo, and we know it's hard for you, but maybe you should talk to Geum Jan Di about it," Woo Bin suggested. From Yi Jeong's expression, he seemed to agree with this.

"I don't need to; I'm fine."

"Okay, but don't shut her out completely," Yi Jeong said.

"Yeah, you have a girlfriend now, and that's no way to treat your girlfriend," Woo Bin added.

"How would you guys know about this?" Ji Hoo rather sharply demanded. "...I'm sorry," he immediately apologized.

"Look, it's common sense, Ji Hoo. It's important to communicate in a relationship, and girls don't like feeling as though you're keeping secrets from them."

"Yeah, man, you don't go treating the people you love that way. You love her, right?"

"Yes."

"Well, then...let her in there." Woo Bin grinned and wagged a finger at Ji Hoo's red head. Ji Hoo moved just in time to avoid a tap on the noggin.

Leaning back in his chair, Ji Hoo spaced out for a moment, thinking about what his friend had said. As odd as it was receiving relationship advice from the two biggest womanizers in South Korea, they made some good points. And he wasn't so experienced at love, himself.

But why would Jan Di‒or anyone, really‒want into his head, into his world? And he didn't want her to be, at least not completely. If he had his way, he would only expose Jan Di to beautiful, wonderful things. He would only let her experience happiness. After all, she'd worked so hard her whole life and had experienced many difficulties. Maybe he couldn't give her the perfect life, but he could at least protect her from harm and shield her from his own damaged psyche. He'd never considered that he might be shutting her out and hurting her in the process, though. I'm not, am I?

Let her in, huh? Ji Hoo didn't relish the notion of talking about his troubled past with anyone, but if he had to talk to someone about it, Jan Di would be the one he'd feel most comfortable with. And even though he felt bad for making her worry, his heart swelled with joy that she cared about him so much. That was a rare thing to find, at least for him. And it made him want to do more and more for her…

Ji Hoo was now very glad he'd bought that trinket for Jan Di. It hadn't been easy to choose, either, because as his friends had pointed out, the inimitable otter couldn't be wooed with flowers, candy, or expensive gifts like most other girls. It needed to be something...special, unique, something from his heart and specific to her. And he hoped that what he'd selected would show his feelings for her in a more tangible way.


Madam Kang sat in her leather chair in her home office, drumming her long, red fingernails on her desk. When a knock at the door came, she bid the person to enter. Secretary Jung walked into the room and bowed before her.

"Well, what did you find out?" she demanded right away.

"Geum Jan Di is a second year at Shinwha High. Her father is a dry cleaner, and her mother works at a public bathhouse."

Madam Kang scoffed. "How can a person like that get into Shinwha? Who was her benefactor?"

Secretary Jung lowered his head slightly. "You were, Chairwoman."

"Excuse me?"

Secretary Jung went on to remind his boss of Geum Jan Di's heroic act that had caused such a stir that day at Shinwha when F4's bullying led to a student nearly jumping off the roof of the school. He also reminded her of her command to silence the media by offering that student entrance into Shinwha.

Madam Kang placed a hand to her head and began rubbing it. "So, she attends Shinwha. But what is she doing with Jun Pyo?" The Chairwoman's glaring eyes shot to her assistant.

"It appeared they were shopping together, but there's no need to worry, Chairwoman. The girl is dating young master Yoon." Having been asked to not only have her son followed, as she always did, but to trail the girl now, Secretary Jung presented her with several photos of Jan Di and Ji Hoo together.

Madam Kang flipped quickly through the pile of photos, which also included ones of Jan Di and Jun Pyo at the mall shopping and participating in the contest. "I see...So, I don't need to worry?" She raised her voice as she got to the photos of the contest, "Then I repeat, what is she doing with Jun Pyo?!" She held up the photo of Jan Di on Jun Pyo's back so her subordinate could take a good look. "Does this look like something I don't need to worry about?!" Madam Kang tossed the stack on her desk, causing the photos to scatter.

Secretary Jung lowered his head.

"If she's dating the Yoon boy, then she shouldn't be with my son," Madam Kang hissed, and then she heaved a sigh. "I suppose that's what happens when a person comes from a family such as that, uneducated and improperly raised."

Secretary Jung simply stood there, silently listening to his employer.

"As for Yoon Ji Hoo, he should know better than to get involved with someone like that, but I suppose he doesn't have parents to guide him on the matter."

Secretary Jung pressed his lips together and remained silent.

"Well, the manipulative wretch may have gotten her hooks into the Yoon boy, but she won't do the same with my son." Glinting with malice, Madam Kang's eyes burned into Secretary Jung. "Make sure she doesn't go near Jun Pyo again," she ordered.

"Yes, Chairwoman." Secretary Jung bowed and left her office.


Two Days Later…

It was Sunday, and Jan Di was working the mid-day shift at the porridge shop with Ga Eul. She finished serving another customer and then went to check on the elderly man, who was at the restaurant once again, just finishing up one of Master's special dishes. Hopefully, he would pay this time, but Master didn't seem to care about that. Her boss seemed to only care about pleasing the old man, and he'd insisted that she should be concerned about doing that as well.

Jan Di checked on the old man. "So, did you do your homework, young lady?" Harabeoji asked.

"Well, I, um…," Jan Di stammered, trying to come up with a good excuse for why she had yet to find out why the lotus blooms in the mud. While she pondered, her phone rang. Phew, saved by the bell. "Harabeoji, I have to…," she pointed to the phone. "Excuse me."

Jan Di picked up her phone and smiled. "Ji Hoo Sunbae, hi." He must have heard the emergency bell, even for such a small matter.

At the mention of Ji Hoo's name, the old man's eyes shot her direction, and his jaw dropped mid-bite, causing sauce to dribble down his chin. He tried not to eavesdrop too much, though the temptation was there.

After a short conversation, Jan Di got off the phone, and Ga Eul came over. "Who was that?" She nudged Jan Di with an elbow. "Your dreamy boyfriend?"

Jan Di's cheeks turned pink. "Ga Eul-ahhhh," she whined. "Yes, it was Ji Hoo Sunbae, and don't call him that."

"Why? He's not dreamy?"

"No, I mean, yes, he is…ahh! Just...don't call him that. It's embarrassing…" Jan Di gave Ga Eul a light shove, and Ga Eul giggled.

"So, is he coming for lunch?" Ga Eul asked.

"No, but he asked if he could take me somewhere on my break."

"How romantic," Ga Eul grinned and clasped her hands together.

At that, Jan Di grew shy again. "Well, I don't know…"

Ga Eul's brow furrowed. "It's not romantic?"

"No, it is, but I just don't know if I should go. It's been a busy day, and…"

"Jan Di-ah, you should go!" Their boss, who had been eavesdropping, suddenly chimed in,

"But—"

"We have enough help here. Just go, take as long as you need," Master insisted.

Jan Di stopped to consider. Maybe she should. She had rescheduled with Ji Hoo yesterday because she'd been working diligently on Jun Pyo's gift, so she owed it to him.

"Okay, but...what about Ga Eul?" Jan Di turned toward her friend. "Are you doing okay since…?"

Ga Eul smiled faintly. "Yes, Jan Di, I'm doing fine. Much better, thank you." And she recalled her recent breakup with Soo Pyo, to which Jan Di must be referring. Although it hurt her badly, she was actually over it already.

"Well, is there anyone...new that you like?" Jan Di wasn't going to pry, but she was concerned about her best friend, and often, the best way to get over someone was to meet someone new.

"I don't know…" Ga Eul's mind wandered to her 'date' with So Yi Jeong. "But I'm hopeful." She hadn't told Jan Di about her fake date with Korea's infamous Casanova because she was sure Jan Di would not approve. And even though she knew it was a lost cause to even think about liking Yi Jeong that way, it didn't hurt to dream. At the very least, he was a nice distraction and had actually done wonders for helping her get past her pain. She just hoped she didn't start thinking about him too much...

Jan Di nodded and returned to the old man, who had settled back in his seat, seemingly finished. "How was everything, Harabeoji?" she asked in a chipper voice.

Harabeoji grumbled something about it being better than eating out of a trash can, and Jan Di awkwardly smiled. The old man then glanced over at Master, who was staring rather dejectedly. He waved a hand and said, "Bah, it was better than last time. Keep at it, Kid."

Jan Di didn't get it, but the backdoor compliment seemed to greatly please her boss. Master flashed a cheesy grin, bowed, and thanked him.

Jan Di shrugged to herself and turned back to the old man with a smile. "Can I get you anything else, Harabeoji?"

"No, that's all."

Jan Di started to leave, but the man stopped her. He hesitated as if he'd forgotten what he was going to ask. Then, he started looking everywhere but at her. "...That person you were talking to on the phone, Child," he finally mumbled. "...Is he your...boyfriend?"

Well, that was a strange question. Jan Di flushed lightly. "Yes, Harabeoji."

The man pressed his lips together and looked at her. "Hm, and he's coming to pick you up?"

Jan Di nodded. "That's right, Harabeoji."

"Oh," the man gave an awkward chuckle. "That's nice."

"Yes, Haraeboji." Jan Di smiled. It was really nice.


Meanwhile, Ga Eul had shifted gears from thinking of her own plight to thinking of Jan Di. Her friend clearly seemed different the past few days, and Jan Di hadn't seemed very eager to leave and see Ji Hoo. It was a bit concerning. So, after Jan Di cleared away the old man's empty bowls, Ga Eul grabbed her by the sleeve and pulled her off to the side.

"What's wrong, Ga Eul-ah?"

"Nothing. But Jan Di, what's the deal...were you trying to avoid Ji Hoo Sunbae just now?" she whispered. "Is something wrong between you two?"

Jan Di shifted from side to side. "No, things are fine…"

Ga Eul wasn't convinced. "Just fine? You're dating the guy of your dreams. Why aren't you dancing on air? Did something happen?"

"No, it's just that…" Jan Di sighed. "...he seems kind of bummed out lately, and I'm not sure what to do about it. I talked to Yi Jeong Sunbae and Woo Bin Sunbae, and they said this time of year is hard for him." Jan Di poked her lip out slightly. "I guess that makes sense...I just wish I could do something for him." This was yet another one of those times when she felt she had nothing to offer Yoon Ji Hoo, an amazing guy who had done so much for her.

"Hm, well, maybe you two could do something together, or you could do something special for him, you know, to give him happy memories of this time of year."

"Ga Eul, you're brilliant!" Jan Di grasped her friend's shoulders, jostling her a bit.

Once she extracted herself from Jan Di's grip, Ga Eul snatched their coats and hats and handed Jan Di hers. "Ga Eul-ah, what?"

"Let's talk outside," she suggested.

"O-kay." Jan Di slipped her arms into her coat and buttoned it. Ga Eul put her coat on and then took Jan Di by the hand.

"Where are you going? Are you leaving, too, Ga Eul-ah?" Master called out in desolation.

"Don't worry, I'll be right back." Ga Eul waved their boss off with a hand. "I'm just going to wait outside with Jan Di until Ji Hoo Sunbae shows up."

Master's face fell for a moment. "Fine, go," he conceded. And Ga Eul took Jan Di outside.

"So, how are things between you two, really?" Ga Eul asked once they were away from prying eyes and ears.

Jan Di's lips curled a bit. "Aside from him being down lately, things are really good." And she went on to tell Ga Eul about the present she found for him.

"That's great, Jan Di. I think he'll really like that, but...can't you give me any...details?"

"Details?"

"Yeah, about you and Ji Hoo Sunbae…give me all the details."

"What kind of details?" She eyed her friend curiously.

"You know…" She nudged her. "About your relationship...I want to know all the juicy details!"

Jan Di blushed furiously. "Ya, what do you mean? There aren't any details to tell!"

"Really?" Ga Eul sighed longingly. "I was kind of hoping there were… You have been dating for a few months now, after all… You know, you should really do something about that, Jan Di-ah."

"Ga Eul-ah!" Jan Di exclaimed in mortification. Ga Eul only laughed.

"I'm...I'm just not...ready to…"

Ga Eul put on a serious face again. "I was just joking, Jan Di. Don't worry; there's no rush or anything." She patted her friend on the shoulder. "But you'll tell me, right, if anything...more...happens between you two?" Since she wasn't getting any romance herself, Ga Eul figured that she could live vicariously through her best friend.

Trying to hide her crimson cheeks, Jan Di looked away. "Yeah, I'll tell you…," she muttered.

. . .

"Oh, there, he is." Ga Eul pointed to Ji Hoo's car pulling up to the curb, and she turned back to Jan Di and smiled. "Now, go on. Don't keep your Ji Hoo Sunbae waiting." Ga Eul waved to Ji Hoo as he stepped out of the white Escalade and went back inside.

At the same time, Harabeoji readied to leave the restaurant. He pulled on his jacket and hat, stood, and made his way toward the door. As he stepped out, he caught sight of Ji Hoo, but the boy didn't seem to notice him. Ji Hoo had just smiled at the porridge shop waitress and opened the car door for her. She got in, and he followed after.

Yoon Seok Young thought about his grandson while watching the car drive away. He hadn't seen him in a few years‒and not face-to-face for nearly fifteen. Ji Hoo hadn't changed much since he last saw him, except that his hair was slightly longer. And had he gotten even taller?

Overall, Ji Hoo had turned out much like Seok Young expected him to, at least appearance-wise. He looked a lot like his father at that age but with different colored hair, and he exhibited some of his mother's softer features. But as far as his adult personality, Seok Young knew nothing about that.

Occasionally, Seok Young got a sighting of his grandson, and his heart always ached when he did. But at the same time, he was glad to catch a glimpse of him here and there and know that he was doing well. He felt even more joy now, knowing that his grandson was dating such a nice girl as the porridge shop waitress, and he hoped they were happy together.


Their impromptu date was nice; Ji Hoo had taken Jan Di for coffee and pastries, and they'd talked. Ji Hoo had explained and even apologized for being so gloomy lately, and she'd quickly dismissed it as not a big deal. Despite his words, Jan Di had seen the sadness ever present on his face when he talked about his mood during the holidays. She knew she could never bring his parents back or take away the pain of losing them, but she really wanted to give him every reason she could to smile. Although Jan Di wasn't experienced at relationships, she vowed to be the best girlfriend possible and put forth all her effort into making him constantly happy. And she would make sure he knew how special and loved he was.

Thus, Jan Di decided to take Ga Eul's advice about doing something special for Ji Hoo in order to give him some happier memories around this time. She'd been considering inviting him over to spend time with her family for the holiday, but she wasn't sure how that would be received. Would he enjoy it, or would it only make him feel worse? Regardless, she definitely didn't want him to be sad and alone during the holidays.


Because she wasn't quite sure what to do for Ji Hoo, she asked to meet with Yi Jeong and Woo Bin, and they met her the next day at the F4 lounge. Between the three of them, it didn't take long for an idea to arise…

As soon as Jan Di started talking about the holidays and wanting to do something fun and special, Woo Bin jumped in with a thought. He said that he'd always wanted to throw a Christmas party.

"A party?" Jan Di questioned.

"Yeah! I've only seen them in the movies, but we can do it. There could be food and music and dancing!" The Don Juan was already off in his head envisioning it. Jan Di looked to Yi Jeong, who was smiling; he seemed on board with the idea, too.

"What about the venue?" Yi Jeong asked.

"Maybe a hotel," Woo Bin replied.

"Definitely not Shinwha."

"Right, Jun Pyo's mother would never approve of such a frivolous waste of time and money," Woo Bin replied to his friend.

Jan Di considered that statement. She also considered a fancy party to be a waste of money, but this was different; it was for Ji Hoo. And as for Jun Pyo's mother, Jan Di suspected the entire party would cost less than that fur coat she'd seen her wearing at the mall, but she surely had very different priorities that Jan Di couldn't begin to understand.

Jan Di tuned into F2 again, and they were still discussing the party venue.

"How about the Grand Hyatt?" Yi Jeong suggested.

"Or maybe the Hilton Millennium or the Renaissance?" And they tossed out a few other equally extravagant options.

Jan Di was reeling over the fancy places Woo Bin and Yi Jeong were suggesting, places she could never afford in a million years, ones she would probably be deemed not good enough to even set foot in. Not that she was surprised. It was F4, after all. "But can we really pull off a party so quickly?" she interjected.

"Sure!" Woo Bin exclaimed. "We know how to make things happen quickly, Jan Di-ah." He looked to his buddy, and Yi Jeong nodded. Jan Di was sure she was about to receive some kind of money and influence talks speech, but F2 spared her that and simply said they'd take care of it.

Jan Di continued to listen in on their plans.

"What about the guest list?" Yi Jeong asked.

"That's easy. Who is Ji Hoo close to? Us and Jan Di."

"Can Ga Eul come, too?" Jan Di spoke up.

"Yes," Yi Jeong agreed before he even realized what he was doing.

. . .

"Okay, so let's see...there's you," Woo Bin pointed to Yi Jeong, "Me, Jun Pyo, Ji Hoo, Jan Di, and Ga Eul. We can invite a few other party guests, too."

"Women?" Jan Di folded her arms.

"Of course!" Jan Di smirked at Woo Bin. "Oh, don't worry, Jan Di-ah." The Don Juan went to her and hung an arm over her shoulder. "Ji Hoo only has eyes for you."

Jan Di blushed.

"In fact, you could probably lock him in a room alone with ten gorgeous women, and…"

Slipping away, "Alright, alright," Jan Di cut off the Don Juan. She knew how loyal Ji Hoo was, but she really didn't need any mental images of him being surrounded by beautiful women.

F2 continued discussing the party, and Jan Di began to feel as though they didn't even need her here for this, so she excused herself.

"Oh wait, I have a question," Yi Jeong spoke up.

"What is it?"

"Were you...at the mall with Jun Pyo the other day, Jan Di?"

"Oh, he told you about that, huh?" She suddenly felt a bit guilty, though she'd done nothing wrong.

"No, but we figured it out."

Jan Di pressed her lips together. And F2 was staring at her now as if awaiting an explanation. "Well, you see, I was trying to get a gift for Ji Hoo, but I didn't know what to get, so I asked Gu Jun Pyo for help."

"Ahh." Yi Jeong nodded.

"So, did you find something for him, Jan Di-ah?" Woo Bin asked.

"Yes." She smiled, still feeling very pleased about her prize for Ji Hoo.

"Good."

Jan Di once again excused herself. With a bow to F2, she left, and Yi Jeong and Woo Bin went back to planning.


Later that day, F4 was having tea at Ji Hoo's place…

"You want to have a Christmas party?" Ji Hoo asked after Woo Bin's announcement to the group.

"Why?" Jun Pyo questioned in a sharp tone. He'd had just about enough Christmas this year already, and he just wanted it to be over with. As if his past experiences weren't bad enough, there was the mall debacle. Not only did he have to listen to Geum Jan Di's sickeningly sweet talk about Ji Hoo, but he had to help her shop for a present for him, and then he was dragged off by his mother's goons. Speaking of which, now he had his mother to worry about. If she had her eye set on Jan Di, it couldn't be a good thing…

Returning to the subject at hand, Jun Pyo scoffed. "Parties are for children."

"Not the ones we throw," Woo Bin said with a grin.

"Right." Jun Pyo nodded. He knew exactly the kind of parties his friends liked.

Ji Hoo was thinking along the same lines as Jun Pyo. "This isn't just an excuse to drink and pick up women is it?" he asked.

Yi Jeong chuckled at his comment. "Why would we need an excuse for that?"

Ji Hoo and Jun Pyo exchanged a smirk. Neither seemed quite convinced.

"Come on, guys, it'll be fun!" Woo Bin exclaimed.

"Fun, huh?" Ji Hoo remarked.

"Yeah!"

"I know that word isn't normally part of your vocabulary, Ji Hoo," Yi Jeong added, and Ji Hoo gave him a little head shake.

"Who are you inviting?" Jun Pyo demanded.

"Women, I assume," Ji Hoo quipped.

"Yeah," Yi Jeong said as if it was a given. "Plus Jan Di and Ga Eul."

"Okay, but what gave you this idea all of a sudden?" Ji Hoo asked.

"Your girlfriend," Woo Bin responded.

"Jan Di?"

"Yes, of course, Jan Di. How many girlfriends do you have, Ji Hoo? She mentioned the holidays and traditions, and it got me thinking…"

"So, since your girlfriend will be there that means you can't just go off and sleep in some corner, Ji Hoo," Yi Jeong chimed in. "Of course, if you want to do something else in the corner…"

Ji Hoo shook his head at the Casanova. "So you're inviting Jan Di's friend, too?"

"Yeah," Yi Jeong gave a casual shrug. "I guess she can come if she wants. She's not so bad."

. . .

Now that they'd gotten Ji Hoo and Jun Pyo on board, Woo Bin and Yi Jeong were even more excited. Jan Di could have her starry-eyed Christmas party, and hopefully, it would cheer Ji Hoo up. And they could have their fun. Maybe this would even become a tradition, an F4 Christmas bash, and they certainly planned to celebrate F4-style, with fine dining, alcohol, and women.


F2 had delivered on their promise, and only 5 days later, Jan Di and Ga Eul were getting dressed for F4's holiday bash. Woo Bin and Yi Jeong had done it upright, too, renting out a space in a local five-star hotel and having it catered and decorated. They had even sent special dresses that morning for Jan Di and Ga Eul to wear to the party along with their official invitations.

Totally unnecessary, but pretty, Jan Di thought as they both pulled their dresses out of the large, white, rectangular boxes to take a look.

Jan Di's dress was a knee-length, royal blue cocktail dress with a layered tulle overlay and beaded bodice that formed a snowflake pattern. Along with it was a thin shawl in a lighter shade of blue and a pair of royal blue stilettos. Ga Eul's party dress was a red fit-and-flare with sheer sleeves and a lace bodice, and it also came with the shoes to match.

Ji Hoo had offered to take the girls to the party, but Jan Di declined because she was planning to spend the night with Ga Eul that night, and her father wanted to drive them. After they finished getting dressed and did their hair, Ga Eul's dad drove them to the hotel.

At a few minutes to 7 PM on December 23rd, Jan Di and Ga Eul arrived at the Grand Hyatt Seoul. A valet bounded over, offering to park Ga Eul's dad's car, but he explained that he was just dropping the girls off at the party. The valet bowed and opened the door for the girls, and they stepped out. Ga Eul's dad wished them a good time, told them to behave and to message him when they were ready to be picked up, and the valet showed them in.

At the entrance of the lobby, Jan Di and Ga Eul were met by the sight of a giant Christmas tree classically decorated with red bows, gold, silver and white ornaments, and strings of garland. Green, red, and gold tapestries adorned the banisters and ledges; a giant Santa Claus hung from the ceiling, and music echoed from one of the nearby rooms. The girls presented their invitations to a man in a fine suit, and he showed them the way to the party and offered to check their coats and purses. Arm-in-arm, the two walked down the poinsettia-lined corridor, through the closed double doors, and into the darkened party space.

As soon as they entered the room, scattered voices could be heard, and the music immediately got louder. Currently playing was an instrumental version of an English Christmas song. For a moment, the girls stood in the doorway, just taking in their surroundings. The dark, crowded room was illuminated by a curtain of multi-colored Christmas lights; votives lined the small, round tables surrounding the large, open dance floor, and traditional, slightly kitschy Christmas decor was scattered about the room. From a glance, the party seemed to be a blend of Korean and western culture; it was classy yet slightly over the top, just like F4. They flower boys clearly had a style all their own, and it worked for them.

The music then switched to a classical number, and Jan Di and Ga Eul wandered around the room and over to the buffet table. The long, rectangular table was covered by a white linen, and spread across the table top was a variety of fancy appetizers, most of which Jan Di couldn't identify. All she knew was that they were tiny and surely expensive. She did recognize some things, however, like the sushi and the crab legs, and there was even a Christmas sponge cake. Jan Di popped one of the unrecognizable appetizers into because it looked tasty. It was. While she chewed, she scanned around for her boyfriend.

From across the room, Ji Hoo immediately stood out to Jan Di. He was leaning against the far wall, dressed all in white and looking stunning, as usual. The whole room seemed to grow so much brighter when she saw him as if a light was shining down on just him, and Jan Di smiled.

Ga Eul glanced over at Jan Di, who was staring over at Ji Hoo. "Go on," she said, giving Jan Di a nudge.

Jan Di hesitated. "Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I'll be fine." She put on a smile. "Ji Hoo Sunbae looks lonely. You should go talk to him, Jan Di-ah."

"Oh, okay."

Ga Eul grinned and gave her friend a little push, and Jan Di smiled back at her before turning her eyes forward and heading off to meet her boyfriend.

Ga Eul watched Jan Di approach Ji Hoo. He smiled at her and reached out his hand; he placed it on her arm, sliding it up and down, and Jan Di glanced demurely to the side. Ga Eul smiled at their cute interaction. It was interesting to watch them because sometimes they seemed as comfortable around each other as the best of friends, and other times they were shy and awkward; either way, they were definitely in that blossoming love phase. It was sweet, and Ga Eul was happy for them, but she couldn't help but want that for herself…

Ga Eul's eyes wandered the room until she located Yi Jeong. It came as no surprise to her that he was in the center of the room with Woo Bin, and they were surrounded by a crowd of women. Everyone was smiling, talking, and laughing, seemingly having a great time, and suddenly, Ga Eul wasn't sure why she'd come.

Yes, she'd come to support her best friend and to spend time with her, but Jan Di had Ji Hoo...and who did she have? Oh, she knew Jan Di would spend plenty of time with her so that she wouldn't be lonely, but she didn't want to take her best friend away from her boyfriend. If she had what they had, she would want to spend as much time together as possible.

Perhaps she could find someone else to talk to, but the choices were slim. There were random, beautiful women she didn't know, who surely had no interest in talking to her but were only there for F4. There was Gu Jun Pyo, who she'd only met once, briefly, and had heard mostly bad things about...although, Jan Di seemed to have changed her opinion on him a lot. There was Woo Bin Sunbae, who seemed occupied with the women.

And then there was Yi Jeong Sunbae…

Ga Eul had to admit that he was the one she was most interested in getting to know and wasn't a party a good time to do that? But there were two problems. One, she was highly nervous, and two, he seemed to have plenty of other people to 'get to know.' Ga Eul sighed as she watched Yi Jeong whisper in a woman's ear. The woman giggled, and he placed a hand on her lower back.

At least he's nice to look at, Ga Eul thought sullenly. She had to admit she enjoyed watching him, and he was especially handsome tonight in his dark suit with his hair styled that way…

Regardless of the crowd of admirers, Ga Eul wanted to go over and talk to him. There was no harm in that, and she had just as much right to as the other women. So, she decided to be bold and go for it.

She made it a few steps before her body froze, but her paralysis only lasted for a moment. Holding her head high, she continued walking as confidently as she could toward him.

Then Woo Bin walked off with two girls, an arm around each, and Yi Jeong excused himself from the crowd. It was one of those rare moments when he was alone, and he was heading straight for her.

What should I do? Ga Eul fussed with her hair for a moment.

As Yi Jeong crossed the dance floor, his eyes met hers, and he stopped. He cocked his head to the side a bit as if pleasantly surprised by her appearance. It made the modest porridge shop girl's heart skip a beat, but she didn't want to get her hopes up...

He made his way over to stand before her. "Ga Eul-yang," he said, giving her a once over. "You look nice."

Ga Eul's heart fluttered. "Thank you, Sunbae." And she cast her glance to the side. "So do you."

Yi Jeong grinned, still observing her closely. "You know, I thought that dress might suit you…" He gave her another good look. "And I was right."

Ga Eul's heart began to pound, but she kept her composure. "So, you picked this out, Sunbae?"

"Mm. I certainly know how to pick out dresses for you, don't I, Ga Eul-yang?" She gave him a nervous smile. His only response was to take her by the arm and lead her toward the buffet table.

"S-sunbae?"

"Would you like some punch?" he asked, releasing her arm once they reached the table.

"Well…" He didn't wait for her answer but ladled some red liquid into a glass and held the glass out to her. She took it and hesitantly brought it up to her lips, trying to smell without making it seem obvious.

"Don't worry, there's no alcohol in it...yet," he added at the end. "Someone will surely spike it later, but for now, it's safe."

Ga Eul nodded and took a drink.

"So?" Yi Jeong stuck his hands into his pockets. "How have you been?"

"Good, Sunbae. And you?"

"Can't complain. I trust you are keeping better company these days…?"

She knew he was referring to Soo Pyo, and he appeared genuinely curious. Her lips parted to speak, but then a tall, leggy woman approached and grabbed Yi Jeong's hand. "What are you doing over here? Come, dance with me, Yi Jeong-ah!" She stuck her lip out in a pout while tugging at his hand.

"I'll be right there," Yi Jeong said with a smile. The beautiful woman walked off, and he gave Ga Eul an 'I'll see you later, Ga Eul-yang' before following after her.

Ga Eul sighed longingly but immediately shook it off. What was she expecting, anyway? Just because So Yi Jeong had helped her and complimented her, that didn't mean anything. He didn't hold the Casanova title for nothing, and it suited him well. Still, she couldn't help but think there was more to him. Or maybe she just wanted there to be…

Resignedly, Ga Eul went over to one of the empty tables. There were no chairs, just places to set down a drink or plate of food, so Ga Eul placed her cup on the table and leaned her arm against it. Jan Di was still off with Ji Hoo, so she turned her eyes to the dance floor and watched Yi Jeong dance with that woman‒and a few others. She found herself in his line of sight several times, but when he glanced over, she would quickly look away and focus on anything else… And here and there, she would take a sip of her punch, just to occupy herself. This went on for ten to fifteen minutes until Jan Di found her again.

"How are you doing, Ga Eul-ah?" Jan Di asked. Ji Hoo was nearby but clearly giving them some space.

She faked a smile. "I'm fine."

"Really?"

Ga Eul nodded. She wasn't quite ready to admit to Jan Di that she was having feelings for Yi Jeong, and certainly not here.

Both Jan Di and Ga Eul's attention was caught by the image of Ji Hoo walking off. He came back shortly after, though, with two glasses of punch. "I tested it, and it seems to be safe," he said, referring to the alcohol content. He handed one to Jan Di and kept the other for himself. Then he greeted Ga Eul and asked if she needed more to drink.

"No, thank you, Ji Hoo Sunbae," Ga Eul replied with a small bow.

Ji Hoo nodded and took a drink. Then he set his cup down, and he and Jan Di shared one of those puppy looks of theirs. The night had just begun and already Ga Eul felt like a third wheel…

After that, Ji Hoo and Jan Di started making conversation with Ga Eul. She knew they were trying to make her feel like she belonged there, but somehow, she still felt like she was in their way.

The three of them chatted casually for a while, and eventually, Jan Di began to wonder what the rest of F4 was up to. She glanced around the room and saw Woo Bin first. He was dressed in his finest but wearing a red Santa Claus hat, and Jan Di overheard him asking some girls to call him Santa Grandfather and to sit on his lap. She shook her head at this. As for Yi Jeong, he was dancing and fraternizing with women like usual, and Jan Di wasn't sure, but she thought she caught Ga Eul watching him.

Jan Di looked around for Jun Pyo next. She finally located him; he was off by himself in the corner, looking completely miserable. And she couldn't help but feel bad for him. She watched him for a few moments, and he wasn't alone for long… A few girls dropped by, but he shooed them away. And then Yi Jeong and Woo Bin went over and tried to get him to join in their revelry, but he sent them away, too. Jan Di considered excusing herself to go over and talk to Jun Pyo, but she got distracted by Woo Bin's antics.

The Don Juan had discovered mistletoe and was making liberal use of it. He'd started by hanging it in various places to catch people off guard, but now, he was taking it around with him wherever he went and whipping it out unexpectedly. He would hold it over his head or over the head of some woman who caught his fancy. Many seemed confused by this at first but quickly caught on that it meant they needed to kiss him, and most were more than happy to oblige.

Jan Di, Ji Hoo, and Ga Eul had gotten caught up in watching Woo Bin…

"I guess the drinking has begun," Ji Hoo commented.

"That didn't take long," Jan Di said, shaking her head a bit.

It was then that Woo Bin noticed the three of them standing there watching him, and he started heading over. All of a sudden, his face lit up like a Christmas bulb, and he set his sights on Jan Di.

Jan Di's eyes widened. "Oh, no you don't Woo Bin Sunbae!" she pointed threateningly at him as he shook the mistletoe at her. But this didn't deter Woo Bin, only spurred him on...and he gave chase. Jan Di squealed when he came for her, and she literally ran, not an easy feat in heels.

Ji Hoo shook his head and simply watched as his friend chased his girlfriend around with a fake piece of mistletoe. He was ready to step in if he actually caught her, but Jan Di seemed to be keeping distance between them. It was impressive that she could actually outmaneuver him in those heels. After a moment or two of this, Ji Hoo prepared to stop the madness, but then he heard the click-clacking of stilettos, and Jan Di took sanctuary behind his back.

Panting faintly, Woo Bin approached Ji Hoo and Jan Di. "Aw, come on, Jan Di-ah! Ji Hoo, you don't mind, right? I won't kiss her on the lips."

Ji Hoo glanced back at Jan Di, hidden behind him. She was lightly clutching at the fabric of his jacket sleeve, but she didn't seem afraid. Rather, she was giggling a bit and enjoying the game. He sighed and gave a one-armed shrug. "It's up to Jan Di."

Hesitantly, Jan Di peeked out from behind her boyfriend's back. "Alright, Sunbae," she wagged a finger at him, "but just one tiny peck, right here." She pointed to her cheek.

When Woo Bin got closer, Jan Di's eyes shot to the green thing in his hand. "Wait a second, that's not even real mistletoe!"

The Don Juan put a finger to his lips and made a shushing sound. Jan Di groaned.

"Come on, Jan Di-ah. Just pretend."

"Fine." She sighed and pointed to the exact spot on her cheek again. Ji Hoo folded his arms and cocked his head to the side as Woo Bin held the mistletoe over Jan Di's head. He leaned in and lightly kissed her cheek. Jan Di smiled a bit and looked to Ji Hoo, and she took a step closer to him.

"Thanks, Jan Di!" Woo Bin grinned at her, and then he turned to Ga Eul. "Ga Eul!" He held out his arms. "Your turn!"

The Don Juan made a move toward Ga Eul while Yi Jeong watched from behind him. Ga Eul was also doing her best to escape, and Woo Bin was again in hot pursuit. But to everyone's surprise, he didn't get far before Yi Jeong maneuvered his way in front of Ga Eul. Holding a hand up to stop his friend, he said, "Alright, I think that's enough, Woo Bin-ah. Why don't you take a break from kissing for awhile?" Yi Jeong smirked it off, but he'd been surprisingly stern about it, and Jan Di noticed a little smile cross Ga Eul's lips‒probably one of relief at being rescued from Woo Bin's advances.

"Aww, alright, I'm done with this, I suppose." And Woo Bin presented the 'mistletoe' to Ji Hoo like some kind of gift.

Hands in pockets, Ji Hoo just looked down at the plastic, green thing. "What do you want me to do with that?" And Woo Bin practically broke his neck craning toward Jan Di in a suggestive manner.

Ji Hoo shook his head at his friend, but both he and Jan Di's cheeks reddened a bit.

"That's okay. Thanks, anyway," Ji Hoo said. It wasn't like he didn't want to kiss Jan Di, but he wasn't going to use such a silly method to trick her into it.

Just then, Woo Bin got a call. He stuffed the mistletoe in one pocket and fumbled in the other for his phone. "Yoboseyo," he answered after a few rings. "...What? Oh no, no way, man! Ahh, alright. Arasso." He hung up the phone.

"What was that about?" Yi Jeong asked.

"The guy who was going to play Santa can't make it!" he lamented.

"Really, Woo Bin Sunbae? You really hired a Santa when everyone here is 19 years or older?" Jan Di questioned.

"It's part of the theme, Jan Di!"

"Ahh, the theme." But Jan Di was actually wondering, What theme? She glanced around the room. So far, she'd seen a typical F4 party with rich foods, drinking, dancing, and women. Well, there was a Christmas cake and some random Christmas songs playing in the background, along with a few western holiday traditions sprinkled in. It wasn't exactly what she'd had in mind, but she didn't want to say anything to Woo Bin Sunbae because he'd worked really hard to bring all this about.

"Don't worry, Sunbae. It's okay if there's no Santa," was all she ended up saying.

"Oh, there's gotta be a Santa, Jan Di-ah! Hey, I know! Why don't I play Santa?!"

Jan Di's eyes widened, and she looked between Ga Eul and Ji Hoo. Ga Eul simply looked back; Ji Hoo shrugged, and Yi Jeong stifled a chuckle.

"Well, why not?" Jan Di shrugged. "You've been playing Santa all night, Woo Bin Sunbae," she subtly commented on his unusual flirting.

Woo Bin laughed and clapped Jan Di on the back. "You're right, I'm a natural!" And then he was off, beckoning a few girls to follow him.

"How drunk is he?" Ji Hoo mused aloud.

"Actually, not that drunk yet," Yi Jeong answered, having seen his friend far more wasted than this. "He's just having fun. See, he's walking fine."

Fine was a relative term, and they all watched Woo Bin stumble a bit midway to the large 'Santa chair,' which had been set up in a corner near an artificial Christmas tree and a huge stack of presents.

He managed to make it to the chair, which looked more like a throne, and he sat down. Rather than donning the blue or green attire and gat of Santas in South Korea, he slipped on a red and white coat that was hanging across the arm of the chair, and he still had his red Santa hat on, so he looked much like a western Santa, albeit without the padding or beard.

It wasn't long before a line formed, all beautiful women. Why was Jan Di not surprised? She was pretty sure most of the women had no idea what this was about, but they all probably just wanted a chance to get close to F4's Don Juan.

Apparently, Ji Hoo had grown tired of watching Woo Bin because he excused himself and started to walk off. As he did, he gave Jan Di a little look, and she knew him well enough to know that it meant he wanted her to go with him. She caught up to him, and Ji Hoo placed an arm over her shoulders while they walked away. Jan Di smiled at his touch but then thought of Ga Eul. She didn't want to leave her all alone or in the company of a Casanova…

When she looked back, Yi Jeong had his hand held out to Ga Eul, offering a dance. She watched Ga Eul accept, and Yi Jeong led her out to the dance floor, and they began to dance. Jan Di's gaze lingered on them, long enough to ensure that Yi Jeong kept his hands in an appropriate place, and she refocused on Ji Hoo.

To Jan Di's surprise, Ji Hoo led her down an empty corridor, and it wasn't long before she was facing a wall, with nowhere to go. She turned around to face her boyfriend. "Sunbae, what are we doing here?" He didn't answer but swiftly moved in to kiss her cheek. Jan Di flushed and placed a hand on the spot. "What...what was that for?"

Ji Hoo gave her that billion won smile of his. "I wanted a kiss, too. Sorry, I didn't have any mistletoe, so I had to steal one."

Jan Di grinned stupidly and looked away.

"Shall we go back?" Ji Hoo asked, extending an arm to her.

At first, she wasn't sure if he was asking because he wanted to go back or if he wanted to stay here longer. She would have liked to have been alone longer, but undoubtedly, people would begin to talk. Then again, most of the people who would even care were intoxicated… Ji Hoo seemed ready to return, though, and she didn't want to presume, so she linked arms with him and allowed him to lead her back out to the party.

Along the way, Jan Di and Ji Hoo passed by Woo Bin's large line of women, and they paused to watch the display. Woo Bin had just welcomed a beautiful woman onto his lap and was asking her if she'd been good this year and what she wanted for Christmas.

Jan Di folded her arms in disapproval. "Do you believe that, Sunbae?"

"I do, actually." Ji Hoo nodded.

Jan Di chuckled and shook her head.

"What about you, Jan Di-ah?" She looked at him curiously. "Do you want to sit on Santa's lap?" Ji Hoo asked in his dry way.

Jan Di nearly burst out laughing. "Santa? No, I'm way too old. Woo Bin Sunbae? Definitely not." She smirked at Ji Hoo.

"What a relief," Ji Hoo said with a smile, and he extended his hand to her. "Would you like to dance, then?"

Jan Di smiled and took his hand, and he led her onto the dance floor. The pair joined Yi Jeong and Ga Eul for a few formal dances, and then the girls danced together during a couple upbeat pop numbers.

So far, the music had been a mix of classical and jazz, interspersed with some pop and covers of English Christmas songs. There were even some older ones. Jan Di and Ga Eul couldn't help but laugh at Woo Bin's imitations of Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby, though his rendition of "White Christmas" was pretty impressive in his inebriated state. The Don Juan was clearly the hit of the party. As for Yi Jeong, he was quite popular, too, but he was more sober than Woo Bin.

Suddenly, the music slowed down again, and a soft, romantic ballad played, Kim Hyun Joong's "I'm Your Man." Ji Hoo offered his hand to Jan Di once more. She accepted, and he pulled her in closer. Then Ji Hoo did something unexpected...he took her arms and wrapped them around his neck.

"S-sunbae…" Jan Di uttered in surprise.

Returning his hands to her waist, Ji Hoo smiled gently down at his girlfriend. And he leaned in closer so she could hear him over the music. "This is how you dance to a song like this..."

His face and the look in his eyes caused her breath to hitch…

"O-oh." She nodded and stared down at her feet. They were so much closer now...in fact, he was so close that she could feel his warm breath against her neck as they swayed back and forth. Their closeness and her own rampant feelings were making her palms sweat...she hoped he wouldn't notice.

"Are...are you...having a good time?" Jan Di stammered, hoping that making conversation would ease her nerves. Why was she so nervous, anyway? This was Ji Hoo, her good friend and boyfriend. But despite how well they knew each other now, she still got nervous around him, and especially in situations such as this.

"Right now I am."

Jan Di smiled to herself.

"You look beautiful tonight," he said.

She looked up at him in surprise. "Really?" He gave her a smile and a nod.

"This dress...?" he began.

"Woo Bin sent it."

"He has good taste."

Jan Di beamed at Ji Hoo before looking down again, and they continued to dance… Slowly, she found her comfort zone and even leaned into him more, resting her head against his broad chest while they swayed back and forth to the music…


Meanwhile, Jun Pyo sat on a bench against the wall, sullenly watching Jan Di and Ji Hoo dance so close, right in front of his eyes. An attractive woman approached him and asked for a dance, but he rudely dismissed her without even looking up, for his eyes were glued to Jan Di and Ji Hoo.

Women had been coming up to him all evening, in fact, but the Shinwha heir wasn't interested in any of them. He didn't want to dance or even be there. In annoyance and frustration, Jun Pyo glared at the oblivious couple on the dance floor. He stared at them for as long as he could stand it before getting up and walking off toward the punch bowl. He sloshed punch into a cup, spilling some in the process, and he took a gulp. At first taste, he could tell that someone had spiked it with liquor. Normally, he wasn't much of a drinker, but he was so sick of feeling this way. And tonight, he just wanted to deaden the pain in whatever way he could…


When Mariah Carey and Justin Bieber's version of "All I Want for Christmas" came on, the crowd, particularly the women, got really excited, and everyone started to dance, almost everyone, that is.

While Jan Di and Ga Eul danced in a circle with Yi Jeong and Woo Bin, Ji Hoo took the opportunity to approach Jun Pyo. He wasn't much into the fast dances, and his best friend seemed to be having a terrible time, so he wanted to check on him. Without a word, Ji Hoo took a seat on the bench next to Jun Pyo, and the both sat there in silence for a moment.

"Is everything alright?" Ji Hoo asked.

"Why?" Jun Pyo muttered.

"Because...well…" Ji Hoo gestured as if he didn't know how to put it and then gave up. The reason was obvious, anyway. "Wait, Jun Pyo, have you been drinking?"

"What's it to you?"

Ji Hoo grew silent, trying to decide what was best to say. "I know this isn't really your scene…"

"Yours either."

"No." Ji Hoo shook his head. "But Yi Jeong, Woo Bin and...Jan Di...wanted to do this. They went to a lot of trouble."

"Jan Di?" Jun Pyo questioned.

"Yeah, I'm sure she had something to do with it."

Jun Pyo exhaled. "I'm here, aren't I?"

"Yes, but couldn't you join in the festivities some," Ji Hoo requested.

Jun Pyo looked away and squeezed his hands together. Then, abruptly, he stood. "No," he said as he turned to walk away. With a sigh, Ji Hoo stood and returned to the dance floor to find Jan Di. He'd try talking to Jun Pyo again later.

. . .

After the group dance, Jan Di was feeling a bit winded, so she decided to take a break. Ji Hoo had gone for a cup of water for Ga Eul and her, so she decided to look for Jun Pyo, since she'd barely seen him all night.


A third cup of strong punch later, Jun Pyo was beginning to feel its effects. He made his way back to the bench and slumped down, nearly missing it. With a sigh, he hung his head and clutched at it. When he finally looked up, Jan Di was there.

"Gu Jun Pyo, hi," she greeted.

Standing before him now‒looking very pretty and spinning a bit‒was his best friend's girl, the girl he liked so much. Why did he have to like her so much? Why did Ji Hoo have to like her, too? And why was he the one to get her?

"What do you want?" Jun Pyo demanded in a harsh tone.

"Why don't you come and enjoy the party?" Jan Di suggested.

"No, thanks," he muttered, and he looked away from her, running a hand through his curly locks. He was doing his best to control his mixed emotions. Part of him wanted to tell her to get lost‒because it was too hard to be around her, feeling as he did‒and part of him wanted to take her in his arms.

"Aish..." Jan Di started to get frustrated, but then she put on a chipper smile. "Come on, it'll be fun!" She grabbed him by the arm and yanked it.

"Geum Jan Di, I said no!" His words were biting and came out much louder than he'd intended.

Stunned into silence, Jan Di released his arm, and it fell limply into his lap. She was staring at him now.

"...Just go back to your boyfriend," he murmured.

"What's wrong with you?" she demanded.

"Nothing. I just want to be left alone." Jun Pyo turned his head away from her again, and Jan Di released a small burst of air through her lips. "Fine," she said.

At that, Jan Di her heel and walked off, but she came back only a couple minutes later. She had her purse with her, and she started digging around inside it until she brought out a package wrapped in red paper. "I thought we were going to be friends, Gu Jun Pyo. I thought you'd changed...but I guess not." She tossed the package onto his lap. "Here." And she walked away.

Jun Pyo sighed as he watched Jan Di trudge across the dance floor. Of course, Ji Hoo saw her acting this way and went to her immediately. He placed an arm around her hunched shoulders and leaned in slightly. Jun Pyo assumed he was asking her what was wrong and trying to console her. Jan Di shook her head at something he said and then raised her head and held it high. Ji Hoo began leading her off somewhere, but before they left, Jun Pyo noticed Jan Di glance back at him briefly, a solemn look on her face.

Once they were gone, Jun Pyo turned his attention back to the package in his lap; he stared down at it. Had she actually gotten him a gift? He decided to open it and began tearing at the corners of the package as eagerly as a child. He quickly ripped the paper off and inside was what looked to be a hand-knitted red wool cap. Did she buy it? He wondered. Jun Pyo knew Jan Di didn't have much money, but the cap was clearly not top-quality. The wool looked to be inexpensive, probably synthetic, and upon closer inspection, he noticed some errors in it. There was a loose thread, and the stitching was a little crooked, so he suspected that she made it herself.

The Shinwha heir always wore clothing from the top lines and was familiar with the latest fashion trends‒he had to be in a position such as his‒but he knew nothing about knitting. Even so, despite the errors and the material, he could tell that she'd spent a lot of time on the thing...and he was truly touched. Did she really do that just for him?

There was also a card, so he opened it and read:

Gu Jun Pyo,

This is the very first thing I ever tried to knit, and I know it isn't very good, but I hope it keeps that curly head of yours warm. Don't be stubborn and refuse to wear it just because it's ugly!

Happy Holidays,

Geum Jan Di

P.S. Thank you again for your help!

Jun Pyo cracked a grin at the card, and strangely he felt himself tearing up. All of a sudden, he felt really bad for being so short with Jan Di, and he needed to make it right. With some effort, he stood and wandered onto the floor to look for her. After looking all around for her, to no avail, he stumbled over to Woo Bin to ask him. Woo Bin was drunker than he was, so he was no help. He tried Yi Jeong next. He wasn't quite as drunk, but he didn't know, either. Lastly, he asked Ga Eul, and she told him that Jan Di had gone for a walk with Ji Hoo.

Jun Pyo gave a sharp exhale. Of course she's off somewhere with Ji Hoo. But he was trying really hard not to be bitter about that. He was trying really hard to be her friend. Maybe he'd have just one more drink…


Ji Hoo had asked Jan Di to go for a short walk with him, and she'd agreed. He wanted to walk with her for two reasons. First, he wanted to spend some time alone with her, and second, he wanted to give her his gift. He'd also wanted to take her to the party and home, but she'd made other arrangements. Suddenly, Ji Hoo wished he'd worked it out so he could take Jan Di home, just her.

While Ji Hoo went for Jan Di's coat, she told Ga Eul where she was going. When he returned, he put her coat on and then slipped into his, and after making sure she put her gloves on, he led her outside the hotel. It was a temperate night for this time of year, not terribly cold because the wind wasn't blowing, and a light snow had begun to fall, giving the night a magical quality.

Jan Di and Ji Hoo walked together past the Christmas market and the amply decorated storefronts, and along the way, he slipped his hand into hers. She blushed a bit but held on, and they ended up at the Lotte World Castle of Miracles. They stepped onto the bridge leading up to the entrance and stopped there.

Jan Di stared up at the lighted castle. "Wau, it's so beautiful."

Ji Hoo smiled as he leaned against the railing of the bridge, observing her. He always enjoyed the way her eyes would sparkle and the look of wonderment she got on her face over the smallest of things.

"Would you like to go to Lotte World sometime while they have the holiday displays?" he asked.

Jan Di smiled and nodded. "I've never been," she said.

"Me either."

He stuck his hands into his pockets and watched her.

Jan Di slid her hand along the pole of one of the streetlamps and stared up at the castle. With her other hand, she was clutching tightly to her purse. Oddly, she'd been rather tied to the heavy-looking bag ever since she'd gotten it back, and he was curious to know why. But he certainly wasn't going to ask. A gentleman doesn't ask a girl what's in her purse, after all.

The snow continued to fall, and Jan Di caught a few flakes in the palm of her hand. When she shivered, Ji Hoo approached her and began rubbing her arms. "Maybe we should go back," he suggested.

"No, not yet," she replied immediately, surprising him. She glanced modestly away. "It's just...really nice here."

"Okay." He nodded. "We can stay, but...you seem cold, so..." And then he did something unexpected. He ed his coat and opened it, turned her gently around, and brought her inside the coat with him.

"S-sunbae..."

Ji Hoo smiled as he wrapped his coat tighter around the both of them, and he hugged her over the arms. "Is this a bit warmer?"

She nodded, and he rested his chin against the top of her head. They stayed that way for several minutes…

"Jan Di...what's that?" Ji Hoo finally asked. He'd felt a hard, sharp object digging into his side the entire time.

"What?" She pulled away.

Again, he didn't want to question her, but he was really curious now. "Do you have bricks in your purse?" he teased.

"Oh." She laughed. "No. That's...well, I have something for you."

"Something for me?"

Jan Di nodded.

She'd stuck the music box in her purse in case she got the chance to give it to Ji Hoo tonight. When the hotel staff had asked to check her purse, she almost didn't let them, for fear something would happen to it. She retrieved the purse later when she went to get Jun Pyo's gift, which she'd also put in there, and she was relieved that it was still there. Not like anyone would steal it at such a fancy place as that…

She reached inside for the gift but hesitated.

All of a sudden, Jan Di was worried that he might not like the music box after all. At first, she'd thought it was perfect, but now, she wasn't so sure… There was no going back now, though. Tentatively, she pulled the wrapped gift out of her purse and handed it to him.

Ji Hoo carefully unwrapped the red paper and looked inside. He opened the box, and his lips parted at the sight.

"It's incredible, Jan Di."

"Open it up." She smiled.

Ji Hoo opened the lid, and when La Romanesca started to play, his face lit up. "...How did you ever come by this, Jan Di?"

"I won it in a contest at the mall."

"Ah, I see." Ji Hoo nodded.

"I actually had help winning it," she admitted. "From Jun Pyo."

Ji Hoo pressed his lips as he put the pieces together. Deciding not to ask further questions, he just smiled at her. "Well, thank you so much. I love it."

"I'm so glad," Jan Di said, beaming back. "You know, I was really at a loss for what to get you, but I wanted to find something...special." A bit embarrassed now, she glanced away.

Still holding the music box, Ji Hoo wrapped his free arm around Jan Di and drew her closer. "Jan Di-ah, you didn't have to do this, but thank you so much for thinking of me," he whispered in her ear, and Jan Di felt that familiar blush.

"I wanted to give you something special, too," Ji Hoo said, pulling back. He stuck his hand into his jacket pocket and pulled out a small, wrapped box with a bow on it. "I hope you like it."

Jan Di unwrapped the paper to reveal a velvet box. It looked to be a jewelry box, and her eyes shot up to Ji Hoo. "You...you shouldn't have…"

"Open it," he said, ignoring her protests.

Fingers trembling slightly, Jan Di pulled back the hinged lid, and inside was a silver charm bracelet.

"It's beautiful." She looked up into Ji Hoo's eyes and back down at the bracelet.

"It's custom-made," he explained, rubbing the back of his neck, "since they didn't have all the charms I was looking for."

Jan Di picked up the bracelet to observe it thoroughly. The silver, jeweled bangle had small, round cubic zirconia beads with individual charms interspersed between them in a pattern, and when she looked closer, she could clearly see that each charm held some kind of special meaning for her or them…

It was obvious that he'd had it crafted especially for her...there was a swimmer charm, a firefighter's hat, and an otter, of course. Jan Di grinned at the sight of the Wonder Woman symbol, and she moved on to flick the little bowl of porridge. There were even Mickey and Minnie Mouse charms, as he knew she liked those characters, and finally, in the middle was a heart with a key attached, and engraved on the heart was JH & JD.

Jan Di could feel her eyes growing moist. "It's amazing. You...really, really didn't have to…"

Ji Hoo only smiled and said, "Let me put it on you."

Jan Di watched him the entire time as he clasped the bracelet around her wrist. It was nice because she didn't often get such a close, unobstructed view of him, at least not when he wasn't looking. And right now, she was able to observe every handsome, delicate feature‒the curve of his nose, the shape of his lips, his dark lashes fluttering, his lids, partially closed while giving his full concentration to fastening the bracelet. She wanted so badly to lean forward and kiss him rather than let him finish his job…

When temptation became too much, Jan Di did lean in, just a tiny bit…

He'd just finished fastening the bracelet and had said "There" and was pulling back when she pecked him quickly on the nose. Slightly stunned, Ji Hoo looked at her, and Jan Di's cheeks heated up. "I...I'm sorry," she said.

"Don't be."

Ji Hoo wanted to reciprocate the gesture of affection, but before he could, she said, "Ji Hoo, I...have a request."

"What is it?"

"Well…" She fidgeted with her hands and finally blurted out, "Will you...spend Christmas with my family and me?"

Jan Di had been thinking about it a lot, and though she hadn't asked permission yet, she was sure her family wouldn't mind. She needed to get it over with sometime; she couldn't hide Ji Hoo from her family forever, after all. But the bigger reason was that she really wanted him to. She wanted to spend the holiday with her boyfriend, and she'd promised herself that she was going to work really hard at not letting pride stand in her way of things.

Ji Hoo considered her proposal. The holidays weren't the happiest of times for him, and he wasn't sure what it would be like spending Christmas with an actual family after all these years, but somehow, he liked the idea of spending it with Jan Di. Somehow, he felt like seeing her face would bring him joy and ease the sadness he felt, even if just a tiny bit.

"Yes, I will."

Jan Di broke out in a huge grin and threw her arms around his waist. "Thank you, Sunbae!" Ji Hoo wrapped his arms around her. "Thank you, Jan Di." She hugged him even tighter.

"And thank you...for tonight," he said after they parted.

"What do you mean?"

"The party."

"Oh, you knew about that..?"

"Yeah, I figured you had something to do with it."

"Well, it was really Woo Bin Sunbae's idea...I just…"

Ji Hoo nodded. "I know Woo Bin and Yi Jeong kind of took over...they tend to do that, but I appreciate what you were trying to do. You wanted to do something nice for me at this time of year, right?"

Jan Di glanced away and bobbed her head up and down. "...Yeah. I guess it wasn't such a great idea, though."

"That's not true. It was fun. But I'll tell you a secret…" He lowered his voice and leaned in slightly.

Intrigued, she also leaned in. "What?"

Ji Hoo cupped her cheek with his hand. "This was my favorite part," he whispered.

"Sunbae…" Eyes glazed over with affection, she stared at him.

Slowly, Ji Hoo leaned in, and they shared a tender kiss on the bridge under the falling snow. As his lips moved across hers, Ji Hoo brought his other hand up and caressed both cheeks with his fingertips. He finally broke the kiss and folded her into his arms, and she hugged back. Wrapped in each other's warm embrace, the scene looked like a Christmas card…

After some time, they reluctantly broke away. "Well, I guess we should…" Ji Hoo began.

"Yeah," Jan Di replied, averting her eyes slightly.

Both knew what the other meant, so they started walking back to the hotel. But a few steps later, Jan Di yelped a little in pain.

"Are you okay, Jan Di?"

Jan Di winced a bit while nodding. She picked up one foot and fidgeted with the strap. "Yeah, it's just these shoes… I think Woo Bin Sunbae picked them out purposely to torture my feet."

"Oh, Jan Di, I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have asked you to go for a walk in those."

"It's okay, I can just…" She put her foot down and paused, not exactly sure what she was going to do. If it wasn't snowing, she would just walk barefooted, but…

Before she could ponder this further, Ji Hoo scooped her up in his arms.

"S-s-Sunbae, what are you doing?" she stammered as she wrapped her arms around his neck for balance.

"You can't continue walking in those shoes, and you can't walk barefoot in the snow. I would piggyback you, but I don't think it would work well in that dress."

"Oh. Okay…" Clutching lightly to his neck, Jan Di lowered her eyes and smiled. And Ji Hoo carried her bridal-style back to the hotel.


A/N: Yes, yes, my sappiness comes out in the end...or as my friend says, the Fluff Master strikes, haha. So, this chapter turned out longer than I thought it would, but to me, it doesn't feel like one of my better chapters. I'm under a lot of pressure to write this month and have been writing a ton, so I'm sorry if this is not very good. To me, this chapter felt a little like a transitional/filler chapter, however you want to put that, and I apologize if it was a tad boring, but I believe those chapters are necessary sometimes. But hey, SoEulers, did you like the bit of burgeoning SoEul coming out there?

Well, the holiday season is upon us here in the U.S, so maybe I'll get the next chapter out in time for that. Good timing, huh? I've experienced two light snows and a heavy snow in my area so far, plus some freezing rain, which isn't as nice as fluffy snow. Much more of that to come, I'm sure.

Teaser for Next: Ji Hoo spends the Christmas holiday with Jan Di's family. Jun Pyo continues to cope with his jealousy. Perhaps Jan Di and Jun Pyo will share a moment…? F4 plans a getaway and invites Jan Di and Ga Eul, but an unexpected turn of events leads to JanHoo being stranded alone overnight. What will happen? Love triangles, family drama, and more to come…

FYI: I used the Grand Hyatt as the F4 Christmas party venue, but I based the party on both the Hyatt and the Millennium Seoul Hilton. I sometimes like to have an image of a place in mind when I write. Sometimes I use existing places (or a combination of), and sometimes I make up my own.

*For those who are wondering, some Koreans celebrate Christmas, and they do have the day off on Christmas. Seoul is also decorated with light displays. Google Seoul at Christmas or Christmas in South Korea, if you're bored. The displays are really beautiful.

More Korean Christmas Info: Department stores put on big displays of decorations. There's also an amazing display of lights in the capital city, Seoul. The lights are all over the city center including the bridges over the Han River. Some people (especially Christians and westerners who live in South Korea) will have decorations at home including a Christmas tree. Presents are exchanged and a popular present is money! Giving actually gifts has become more popular, but giving money is still very common. Santa Clause can also be seen around Korea but he might be wearing red or blue! He's also known as 산타 클로스 (santa kullosu) or 산타 할아버지 (Santa Grandfather). A popular Christmas food is a Christmas Cake, but it's often a sponge cake covered in cream brought from a local bakery! Or you might even have an ice cream cake from a shop like 'Baskin Robbins'! Happy/Merry Christmas in Korean is 'Meri krismas' (메리 크리스마스) or 'seongtanjeol jal bonaeyo' (성탄절 잘 보내요) or 'Jeulgaeun krismas doeseyo' (즐거운 크리스마스 되세요). Christians can say 'Sungtan chukhahaeyo' (성탄 축하해요) to celebrate the birth of Jesus. (from whychristmas (.com))

With the Christmas season seeming to have started before Halloween this year, it's hard to imagine the holiday season not being a big deal. But it's not nearly as big a deal in the Republic of Korea as it is in the United States. But South Korea does have its own Santa Claus. He's called Santa 할아버지, which translated is Grandfather Santa. Might be dressed like a Western Santa in a red suit, or you might see him in a blue suit. A couple of years ago we found this figurine of Santa 할아버지 on eBay, and he's become a party of holiday Santa display. He's wearing a traditional 갓 (gat), which is a tall hat worn by some men during the Joseun Dynasty. The 갓 protected the topknot hairstyle that men of status wore during this time. But Santa's hair is hanging long down his back. (from (.com))