Otters, Fires, & Firefighters

Something Happened to My Heart

It had been about a month now since Ji Hoo returned from Paris, and word had spread like wildfire around Shinwha High that the commoner, Geum Jan Di, was dating F4's Golden Boy, Yoon Ji Hoo. The reactions ranged from shock—to envy—to downright outrage, but for the most part, Jan Di's classmates were treating her…well now.

A bit too well, actually. And Jan Di wondered if perhaps Ji Hoo had said or done something. Or, perhaps the school had simply resigned itself to the fact that this was for real—that it wasn't some grand joke and Ji Hoo hadn't gone crazy or suffered a traumatic brain injury. Everyone seemed to be accepting now that Yoon Ji Hoo actually cared for Geum Jan Di and seriously intended to date her.

Jan Di was stunned to find that the girls were beginning to—not only acknowledge her—but actually chase her down. They would go out of their way to bid her good morning, compliment her, and even bring her drinks. One girl—who Jan Di had never even met—asked Jan Di to attend her birthday party that Saturday. Jan Di informed her that she would check her schedule, out of politeness, but with no real intention to go. Another group of girls begged Jan Di to go shopping with them after school.

Shopping…yea, right…

Jan Di was not much for shopping, and she would certainly not be going to the stores these girls planned to go—she was not in the habit of shopping in places where one item would send her family into bankruptcy…

The exception to the Jan Di entourage was the nightmare trio (Sunny, Miranda, and Ginger), who still hated her guts. Although they'd backed off for now, Jan Di was certain they were plotting something evil against her...


One morning, when the crowd became too much for Jan Di, she pulled a not-so-clever trick—that nonetheless worked—and suddenly pointed off into the distance, insisting that the crowd look, while she made a run for it. Then, Jan Di rushed off as fast as her legs could carry her—the crowd trailing behind—to the comforting sanctuary of the stairwell.

Jan Di leaned over, gripping her knees and catching her breath. She stood upright and released a sigh of relief at reaching her haven. "Aigoo! I think I liked it better when they were bullying me…," Jan Di muttered.

"You're very popular these days, Geum Jan Di," a welcome voice came from behind her—it was warm and soothing, yet with a pinch of playfulness to it.

Jan Di spun around to see Ji Hoo standing behind her with the hint of a grin upon his lips. "Sunbae!"

Even though this had become their spot, he always managed to catch her off guard. She didn't know how he always knew when she would be there… And she had the feeling he took great pleasure in startling her like this, but she didn't care. She was always simply glad to see him.

Ji Hoo approached Jan Di slowly, the corners of his lips curving further upward into that amazing smile she'd grown to know and love so well. Jan Di still couldn't understand why his face seemed to light up every time he saw her, but it was enough to send her heart rocketing straight to the moon.

Jan Di smiled tenderly back at him. But then her face twisted. "It's only because of you, Sunbae! Why do you have to be so adored?!" she scoffed.

"Mianhae…," Ji Hoo chuckled, "But, still Sunbae? I warned you about that," he teasingly wagged a finger at her. She chuckled and shrugged her shoulders.

He stood before her now, looking down into her eyes, while she got hopelessly lost in his, wondering what he would do next. Ji Hoo could certainly be affectionate, but he kept it in check. Sometimes he would kiss her lips, but not all of the time. Sometimes it was a hug, a kiss to the forehead, or even to the hand. He was a bit mysterious about it—he certainly kept her on her toes—and she couldn't always predict when, where, or even how he would choose to show her his feelings. But whatever form of affection he chose, it always made Jan Di feel appreciated and…loved—though they had not actually said those words to one another yet. She wondered if he felt the same way…

"What am I to do with you, Geum Jan Di?" he sweetly asked before turning her to look out over the balcony and wrapping an arm around her shoulders from behind.

Jan Di in a breath of pleasant surprise, forgetting entirely—in an instant—about being upset with him for putting her in such a predicament with the Shinwha masses. "Mianhae, Ji Hoo-yah…," she mumbled shyly.

Ji Hoo seemed contented by this, and he rested his chin between his own arm and the crook of her neck, holding her completely captive. "That's much better," he whispered into her ear, sending rampant chills up and down her spine.

Jan Di held statue-still. She instinctively closed her eyes, warmth curling throughout her body—despite the chilly air surrounding them—and she took in the feel and scent of him. Ji Hoo had this indescribable something about him that Jan Di could not pinpoint; although, she was certain it didn't get much better than this moment, right here and now. Eventually, she relaxed enough to lean back slightly to rest her head against his chest.


They said nothing for a time, as Jan Di gazed off across the campus of Shinwha. The temperature was low, but there was something to be said about body heat… Jan Di noticed that Ji Hoo was motionless against her, and she briefly wondered if he'd fallen asleep—not that it would bother her if he had…

Jan Di was slowly growing more at ease with Ji Hoo, yet he still managed to send her heart fluttering like a frantic butterfly. It was odd how he could make her so comfortable and yet so restless at the same time. But it wasn't an unpleasant restlessness… It was more like a rush… This love thing, she'd heard people say it was the most amazing natural high… And it was true—Jan Di had experienced firsthand now—and she couldn't imagine even skydiving being more thrilling.

But like extreme sports, there was something frightening and even dangerous—in addition to the thrill—about being so in love as she was. She was plummeting—hard and fast—and it was so powerful that Jan Di worried she would never be able to turn Ji Hoo down on anything, not that he would ever take advantage of that. Her much greater fear was that she would someday lose him…and she was afraid of what it would do to her… But Jan Di told herself, once again, that she was simply going to enjoy it while it lasted…


Jan Di had to smile when she realized that—in the midst of her daydreaming—Ji Hoo had, in fact, fallen asleep against her shoulder. How in the world did this man manage to drift off in such a position?! He was an utter mystery to her, yet a beautiful one, and she was truly enjoying discovering more about him each day.

Jan Di glanced to her side and a sweet smile crossed her lips as she took in the sight of him: his soft yet handsome features, his dark lashes, and the hint of a tranquil smile upon his face while he slept. Ji Hoo looked so peaceful that she hated to wake him, despite the precariousness of the position he was in. Not that she truly minded having him against her… But, they did both have to get to class at some point, soon.

"Ji Hoo-yah," Jan Di finally whispered, and he stirred. "You fell asleep," she affectionately informed.

Ji Hoo slowly disentangled himself from her, and Jan Di turned to face him, leaning lightly against the balcony.

"Oh, I guess I did," he said. Jan Di gave a cute, short chuckle. Her laugh was a sound that Ji Hoo absolutely adored.

"Mianhae, Jan Di-yah. You were just so comfortable...," he released a pleasurable sigh and reached out to gently her cheek with his fingers. Jan Di's cheeks turned a rosy hue at his touch, and she glanced down at her boots.

"I have to go to class…," she muttered sullenly. Ji Hoo nodded.

"And I assume you do, too, unless you and the rest of F4 are planning to skip?" she raised a brow.

Ji Hoo gave a short laugh. "No, we're going to class."

"By the way, how are…Gu Jun Pyo and the others?" Jan Di asked, "You've been spending a lot of time with me, Sunb—Ji Hoo-yah, and it doesn't seem like you are seeing F4 as much. They must not be happy with me for stealing so much of your time…"

Ji Hoo leaned forward to press a tender kiss to Jan Di's forehead, allowing his lips to linger for a moment. "You're so thoughtful, Geum Jan Di," he grinned after pulling back, "But, they can deal with it. And they're not mad. They get it, especially Yi Jeong and Woo Bin. They always put their girls before Jun Pyo and me."

Ji Hoo acknowledged that his words were true, for the most part, the exception being Jun Pyo… Jun Pyo had been in a bit of a mood lately regarding Ji Hoo's absence and particularly at any mention of Jan Di. And it was a bit concerning to Ji Hoo…

When Jan Di came into F4's lives, Ji Hoo noticed a difference in Jun Pyo—a spark of change in him that Ji Hoo liked—but now he could see Jun Pyo slowly reverting back to some of his old ways. Ji Hoo suspected that this had something to do with Jan Di, but he desperately hoped that he was wrong.

Ji Hoo opened the door to the stairwell and ushered Jan Di through. They walked together as far as Jan Di's next class and parted ways. Ji Hoo ran his hand along Jan Di's arm and bid her a good day, promising to see her later.


The following Saturday, Ji Hoo was at home, messing around on his instrument, as he often did. He plunked down his violin and leaned back in his chair, closing his eyes. A soft smile crossed his lips.

Jan Di was working at the porridge shop today. She had told Ji Hoo all about her work. She always shared stories with him, about her boss, her best friend Chu Ga Eul, and sometimes about the customers. It made Ji Hoo curious about the place, but more than that, he just wanted to see her, so he decided that porridge sounded good right about now.

Then, Ji Hoo recalled Jan Di's concern about him spending more time with F4. He would remedy this, yet there was no reason he should not be able to see Jan Di, too.


Twenty minutes later…

So Yi Jeong's phone dinged, indicating he had a text message. It was a group message to F4, from Ji Hoo.

"Have you eaten?" Ji Hoo's message said.

"Not yet, what did you have in mind?" Woo Bin responded first.

"Neither have I. How about that new French place?" Yi Jeong suggested, his fingers flying across the screen of his smartphone.

"Well, I was thinking of going to that porridge shop…," Ji Hoo replied.

"Porridge shop, really? The one where Geum Jan Di works?" came Woo Bin's response. Ji Hoo could almost hear the sarcasm in Woo Bin's words.

Yi Jeong smirked on his end and responded, "You are suddenly in the mood for porridge, Ji Hoo-yah? Hm, I wonder why that could be… Could it perhaps have to do with a certain someone…?"

Ji Hoo was thankful they could not see his face, for a light blush actually formed upon his cheeks. He should have known that he'd opened the door for endless torment.

"I'm in!" Woo Bin replied first again.

"Me, too. I'm curious to taste commoner food…," Yi Jeong responded, ceasing his taunting for the time being.

"Yea, yea, yea, let's go bug Geum Jan Di!" Woo Bin texted. Ji shook his head, suddenly regretting his thought process.

Ji Hoo had noticed some tension between Jan Di and Jun Pyo as of late. Jun Pyo had been avoiding seeing Jan Di or being around when Ji Hoo and Jan Di were together. And it wasn't as if Ji Hoo and Jan Di were annoying about their relationship. Neither of them was big on public displays, so it wasn't like Ji Hoo was showering Jan Di with affection when F3 or others were around—quite the contrary—he often refrained from touching her much when being viewed by others.

Hoping to smooth things out between Jun Pyo and Jan Di and create some semblance of a friendship, Ji Hoo invited Jun Pyo along as well. But Jun Pyo had been silent on his end thus far.

"Jun Pyo, what about you?" Ji Hoo texted.

Jun Pyo finally chimed in, saying it was ridiculous, but he would go.


It was nearly noon at the porridge shop. Jan Di and Ga Eul thanked a customer, bowed in unison, and bid them a nice day. Then the girls began to clean off and wipe down some tables. Master was in the kitchen making a batch of pumpkin porridge. The three heard the tiny bell on the door tinkle, and Jan Di and Ga Eul turned to greet the customer, instinctively bowing before seeing.

Jan Di and Ga Eul looked up and both stared, stunned to see all four members of F4 waltz into the porridge shop—looking stylishly perfect for their surroundings—and three out of four were wearing big, pearly smiles. Jan Di glanced to Ga Eul, whose dark eyes were wide, and then she turned to Master, who was standing behind the counter, looking as if he would keel over at any moment. Although there weren't many people in the place, all eyes were on F4 now.


"Sunbae!" Jan Di exclaimed. They had discussed it, and Ji Hoo had agreed to Jan Di's compromise of calling him by his name when they were alone and by 'Sunbae' in public.

"What are you doing here?" Jan Di asked of Ji Hoo, as she glanced around and noticed everyone staring at them. Ji Hoo approached Jan Di, hands behind his back and grinning from ear-to ear. Jan Di instinctively smiled back. "Well, we came to see where you work," Ji Hoo replied.

Jun Pyo, Woo Bin, and Yi Jeong were glancing all around the place, taking it in. Jan Di nodded and turned back to Ga Eul. Ga Eul still had that deer-in-headlights look. To see F4 like this, all together and up-close-and-personal was quite the sight to behold, she had to admit.

"Oh, Ga-Eul, this is Ji Hoo Sunbae," Jan Di introduced Ji Hoo, and he bowed to Ga Eul.

"Yes, of course. I remember seeing you once before with Jan Di. I'm pleased to officially meet you, Chu Ga Eul-ssi. I've heard a lot about you." Ji Hoo smiled.

Ga Eul acknowledged that Yoon Ji Hoo was truly the living statue everyone said he was, but it was another member of F4 who caught her eye the most—one with a beautiful, boyish charm—who she felt particularly drawn to for some strange reason. This particular F4 member noticed her eyes linger upon him. His eyes met hers, and he flashed a brilliant smile. Ga Eul flushed and quickly looked away.

Once she regained her senses, Ga Eul gave Ji Hoo a deep bow. "Oh. Likewise, Ji Hoo Sunbae! I'm very pleased to meet you."

And then the one with the cute, dimpled baby-face spoke. "Ji Hoo here was moping around like a puppy, bored to death and missing you, Jan Di-yah, so we all decided to stop by," Yi Jeong smirked, and Ji Hoo elbowed him lightly. Woo Bin laughed, as Yi Jeong playfully clutched at his ribs. Jun Pyo gave a subtle roll of the eyes.

Yi Jeong chuckled and gave a little wave, "Annyeong, Jan Di-yah."

"Annyeong, Yi Jeong Sunbae."

"Aren't you going to introduce us, too, Jan Di-yah?" Yi Jeong teased.

"Oh, ye, of course, Sunbae!" Jan Di stammered. "This is So Yi Jeong," Jan Di said, presenting Yi Jeong to Ga Eul, "And Yi Jeong Sunbae, this is Chu Ga Eul."

Ga Eul bowed and Yi Jeong cooly approached her, "Annyeong, Ga Eul-ssi," he took one of her dainty hands in both of his. Ga Eul blushed hotly and glanced away.

"And how long have you known our Geum Jan Di?" he asked, smiling. Ga Eul was surprised by the affectionate familiarity F4 used with Jan Di. Ga Eul shyly looked up at Yi Jeong. "Since kindergarten," she replied.

"Ah, so you are best friends then?" Yi Jeong asked, seeming genuinely interested.

"Ye," Ga Eul nodded. Yi Jeong revealed his brilliant smile, and Ga Eul noticed that annoying blush of hers forming again. "The four of us have also known each other since kindergarten," Yi Jeong replied. Ga Eul smiled and nodded.


Jan Di then introduced Ga Eul to Jun Pyo and Woo Bin. Master rushed over suddenly, displaying a nervous excitement, and asked if Jan Di was going to introduce him to F4. Jan Di sighed, knowing Master was prone to being overly excitable. But she simply shook her head and smiled. "Ah, ye, of course, Master… Master, this is Yoon Ji Hoo, Gu Jun Pyo, So Yi Jeong, and Song Woo Bin," Jan Di introduced each of F4 in turn. Wearing the biggest smile she'd ever seen on him, Master bowed to each one of the Flower Four.

"Could we have a table, Geum Jan Di-ssi?" Ji Hoo asked with a playful smile. He wanted so much to reach out and touch her cheek, but he didn't want to embarrass her, so he refrained.

"Yea, I'm famished, Geum Jan Di!" Woo Bin chimed in, patting his stomach.

"Really? Are you sure you want to eat here?" Jan Di asked, incredulous, looking between the four of them.

"Jan Di-yah?!" Master scolded, giving her a hurt—almost betrayed—look. Jan Di turned and bowed several times to her boss, "Mianhae, Master!" she gave an awkward chuckle and turned back to Ji Hoo.

Ji Hoo looked between F3—who gave their consensus—and then turned back to Jan Di. He smiled and nodded to her. Woo Bin was grinning; he gave Jan Di a little wink when he caught her eye. Yi Jeong also had a big smile on his face. And Jun Pyo had his arms folded and was silently scowling.

"…Oh, ye, of course!" Jan Di shook her head vibrantly in acknowledgment. Master insisted they have the best table and waved Jan Di on. And she seated F4 at a large table in the corner.

F4 ordered, and Jan Di and Ga Eul brought them pumpkin and abalone porridge. Jan Di, Ga Eul, and Master stood back and watched as F4 took their first bites, anxiously awaiting their reactions. Ji Hoo, Yi Jeong, and Woo Bin looked between each other, smiled, and nodded. They all looked to Jun Pyo, who was silently shoving his food in.

Ji Hoo shook his head and glanced over at Jan Di. With a smile, he said, "It's very tasty. Gomawo, Jan Di." Jan Di smiled and then Ji Hoo turned to Master and complimented his cooking. Master seemed greatly pleased. Yi Jeong and Woo Bin also noted that it was very good.


Jan Di had noticed that things had been a bit…awkward…between Jun Pyo and her for a while now—since Ji Hoo returned, actually. He'd been cold—even for Jun Pyo—and standoffish, and he appeared to be avoiding her. And it was bothering Jan Di, perhaps a bit more than it should.

Jan Di had thought that Jun Pyo was beginning to warm up to her, but that seemed to have fallen by the wayside. He was no longer waging war on her, but he wasn't exactly being friendly either. And she had to admit that she was a bit disappointed—she'd truly hoped they could be friends. She considered talking to Ji Hoo about it, but she didn't want to burden him with such things.

"Gu Jun Pyo? What about you?" Jan Di began, "How is the food?" she put on a bright smile. Jun Pyo looked up from a bite and mumbled something about thinking he could choke it down. Jan Di nodded slowly. She hung her head for a moment before opening to speak again. Just then, a customer called, and Jan Di excused herself to attend to the customer, while Ga Eul checked on another group of customers.


A few women passed the window of the shop and glanced in. They squealed that it was F4 and entered, asking for a table. Ga Eul seated them and handed them menus. The women opened their menus but just kept staring over at F4, whispering and gushing about the handsome men.

Once the word got out that F4 was there, it didn't take long for the porridge shop to fill up. Master was actually turning people away at the door, and Jan Di and Ga Eul were now rushing around the place, doing their best to accommodate all the extra patrons, still with bright smiles and plenty of enthusiasm.

Ji Hoo glanced around the shop, which was now packed tighter than a sardine can. He was glad that their presence seemed to have helped the business, but he felt badly for making Jan Di work even harder. Ji Hoo watched Jan Di dashing around the place, and he smiled faintly. He had to admit that she looked cute in her apron, and she was so diligent in her work and so friendly and pleasant with the customers.

But Ji Hoo still felt guilty, about all the extra work they'd caused her, and then there was Jun Pyo's attitude… Perhaps it had been a mistake to come. F4 finished their meal and bid Jan Di, Ga Eul, amd Master goodbye.


Later that day…

Yi Jeong was in his studio, spinning a pot upon his wheel. He glanced up when he heard the door open and saw Ji Hoo standing before him.

"Ji Hoo-yah. What brings you here?" he asked with a smile.

Ji Hoo sighed, "Yi Jeong, what do you make of Jun Pyo's behavior lately?" he asked, getting straight to the point of his visit.

Yi Jeong removed his hands from the clay. "What do you mean, Ji Hoo-yah?" Yi Jeong busied himself with washing up.

"Well," Ji Hoo stuffed his hands into his pockets, "He's been acting strangely, and…he's been rather cold to Geum Jan Di. Haven't you noticed?"


Yi Jeong had noticed, and he was fairly certain he knew what the problem was. But it was not something he wanted to say to Ji Hoo.

"Oh, I'm sure it's nothing," Yi Jeong replied, turning toward Ji Hoo, "He's probably just in one of his moods. You know how he gets sometimes, Ji Hoo-yah…"

You're lying to me, So Yi Jeong… Ji Hoo could always tell. In fact, the F4 brothers knew one another so well that they could practically read each other's minds, a benefit—and occasionally—a pitfall.

Yi Jeong could feel Ji Hoo's eyes boring into him, "Tea?" he asked casually, going for the kettle.

Ji Hoo sighed and nodded. "Thank you… It's more than that, Yi Jeong," Ji Hoo said, "You don't think that…," Ji Hoo stopped himself, " Never mind..."

Yi Jeong stopped to glance over at his good friend once more. He attempted a reassuring smile. Yi Jeong wanted both Ji Hoo and Jun Pyo to be happy, but he didn't want to be in the middle of this thing. He'd slowly been noticing a rift forming between Ji Hoo and Jun Pyo and between F4, and he didn't like it.

"Perhaps you should talk to him, Ji Hoo-yah," Yi Jeong suggested, handing over the cup of tea. Ji Hoo brought the cup to his lips and took a short sip.

Ji Hoo nodded, "I think I will," and he set down the cup, rose, and left the studio.

After Ji Hoo left, Yi Jeong slumped back onto the bench, slapping his hands against his knees. He leaned forward and released a heavy sigh.


That evening…

Jun Pyo and Ji Hoo were hanging out together in F4's clubhouse. Jun Pyo was playing video games, and Ji Hoo was playing his guitar.

"Jun Pyo, can I ask you something?" Ji Hoo asked calmly, putting down his guitar.

"What is it?" Jun Pyo replied.

Ji Hoo paused and rubbed his hands together lightly, "…Has something been bothering you lately?"

"No."

"Did I do something to offend you?" Ji Hoo continued.

"No," Jun Pyo kept his eyes upon the game.

"So, you don't have a problem with me then?"

Jun Pyo paused the game and looked at Ji Hoo, "Aish! No, why?"

"Then, is it…," Ji Hoo rubbed his hands over his legs, "Geum Jan Di…that you have some problem with? I thought you said you approved of her…"

Jun Pyo tightened his jaw. "I don't have a problem with her…," he muttered and went back to the game.

"Then why are you being so rude to her lately?"

"Aish!" Joon Pyo huffed and rose from his seat, tossing the controller down upon the table. He placed his hands on his hips and took a quick lap around the room, "I'm not; I'm just being myself!"

Ji Hoo nodded slowly. "OK, Jun Pyo. So, it has nothing to do with…," Ji Hoo began, anxious about confirming his suspicions.

"What?" Jun Pyo demanded, stopping.

Ji Hoo exhaled. "Well, you don't still…like her…do you, Jun Pyo?"

Jun Pyo scoffed, "No way! Absolutely not!" His denial was a bit too strong for Ji Hoo's liking.

Ji Hoo exhaled and stood to face Jun Pyo. "OK, well that's good to hear. In that case, I'd very much like it if you would be a bit nicer to my girlfriend," Ji Hoo's face was serious, and he punched the word girlfriend, as if he truly wanted to remind Jun Pyo of their status and how much Jan Di meant to him.

Jun Pyo and Ji Hoo silently stared at one another for a moment.

"You're my best friend, Jun Pyo…and Geum Jan Di is my girlfriend. You both mean a lot to me, and I'd really like it if you two could get along."

Jun Pyo released a sharp exhale and went back to his game.


Later that evening, Jan Di and Ji Hoo were talking on the phone. She lay on her bed.

"Sunbae…," she began, holding the phone in one hand and clutching a pillow in the other.

"Still Sunbae?" he teased once again.

Jan Di chuckled, "Sorry. Old habits… Ji Hoo-yah, it was nice of you to come to the porridge shop today… You gave Master the thrill of his life… And I appreciate how you are always asking me what I want to do…and where I want to go…"

"But?"

"Well, you don't…always have to do my stuff..." It had been something that was on her mind. Ji Hoo was always trying to accommodate her.

"…We can do things you like, too. Go to places you like…I don't want to hold you back from doing the things you enjoy…" The words of the nightmare trio still burned in Jan Di's mind.

It wasn't what he'd expected to hear exactly. "You don't hold me back," Ji Hoo said, "I liked the food at your shop. It was good. And I enjoy doing the things you like; it doesn't matter what it is, just so long as I am with you…"

"Ji Hoo-yah…," she muttered tenderly.

Ji Hoo smiled affectionately, "But if you're concerned about it, there is a place I'd like to take you sometime."

"Where?" she asked.

"It's my favorite restaurant."

"Is it fancy….?" Jan Di asked, uncertain.

Ji Hoo gave a short laugh. "A little bit, but you don't need to worry about that," he smiled.

Jan Di nodded over the phone. "Ji Hoo-yah…," she began after a moment.

"Mm?"

"Is…something up with Gu Jun Pyo?"

Ji Hoo's lips parted. So she had noticed, as well. Ji Hoo wasn't quite sure what to say to her. He suspected that something was up, and he didn't want to lie to Jan Di, but he also didn't want to cause her any worry. "You don't need to worry about that, either, Jan Di-yah. Everything is fine," Ji Hoo replied, hoping his voice exuded the confidence he was going for.


The next morning, Jan Di was heading to class when she noticed F4 walking in together. She smiled, until she noticed that a new guy, who she hadn't seen around before, bumped into Jun Pyo. This guy was much smaller than Jun Pyo, so the force actually knocked the guy to the ground. He got up and bowed to Jun Pyo, apologizing. But he wasn't exactly prostrating himself before Jun Pyo, like most of Shinwha did, so Jan Di suspected that he didn't know who Jun Pyo was.

Jan Di noticed Jun Pyo begin to lose his temper. His fists tightened at his sides, and his face grew slightly red. He appeared to be attempting to hold back, but then he suddenly grabbed the guy by the collar. "Ya, watch it!"

Jan Di watched Ji Hoo, Yi Jeong, and Woo Bin stare at Jun Pyo. Clearly, they were a bit surprised, too. Since Jan Di had stood up to Jun Pyo, he hadn't been torturing other students like before. But she wasn't going to let him revert back to that. She couldn't allow that to happen.


"Gu Jun Pyo!" Jan Di stood a few feet away, hands upon her hips, while F3 looked on. "You apologize right now, or else!" Jan Di demanded, giving him a look that indicated she was completely seriously and wouldn't hesitate to get physical with him again.

Jun Pyo stared Jan Di down for a moment. Then, Jan Di stormed up to Jun Pyo and grabbed him by the ear, yanking him down hard.

"Ya! Ow, ow, ow! Ya, Geum Jan Di!" he cried out, and suddenly Jan Di was dragging Jun Pyo off, completely ignoring F3.

"I thought you were past all this bullying! I need a word with you!" Jan Di exclaimed. She continued dragging him off by the ear, while he complained the entire way. He finally yelled back a sorry to the guy he'd viciously grabbed.

Ji Hoo stared after them, a bit stunned. He tightened his mouth, not sure what to make of the interaction. Woo Bin and Yi Jeong looked between each other and began to chuckle. Then, they turned to Ji Hoo, who was still staring after where Jan Di had dragged Jun Pyo off.


Sunny, Miranda, and Ginger stood nearby, arms crossed and looking horrified. Min-Ji had just arrived and caught the end of the scene. She was also staring after Jan Di and Jun Pyo.

"Who does she think she is?!" Ginger lamented, "Making a mockery of Jun Pyo Sunbae and F4!"

"How dare she treat Jun Pyo Sunbae that way!" Sunny stamped her foot.

"Yes! And she's a bit too familiar with him… It looks like she's turned her attention to Jun Pyo Sunbae again…," Miranda suggested.

"Perhaps she has something going on with Jun Pyo Sunbae on the side…," Ginger commented slyly, loud enough for the nearby Min-Ji to hear.

Sunny covered her ears and shouted her protests in a shrill cry. "Oh, poor Ji Hoo Sunbae! That…that…Geum Jan Di! That two-timer!"


That afternoon…

Jan Di was rushing to class—she was running late again, of course—and she was moving so quickly that she tripped over her own feet and landed on her knees, scattering her books across the floor. Jan Di groaned and began collecting her books—still down on her knees—when she noticed an expensive-looking pair of men's oxfords before her. She glanced up to see the tall, dark figure of Gu Jun Pyo hovering over her. She noticed the stern expression he wore fade, and the corner of his lip twitched into a smirk. "You're such a major klutz," he commented.

Jan Di glared up at him and grumbled something not quite audible, and then she continued gathering her books. To her shock, Jun Pyo knelt down beside her—in slacks that were probably more expensive than a car—and actually began helping her pick up the books.

Jan Di stood with her portion of the stack pressed into her chest, and Jun Pyo handed her the ones he'd collected. She took them and stared at him for a moment, dumbfounded. "Gomawo, Gu Jun Pyo, for helping me…," she mumbled.

Jun Pyo scoffed, "I only did that because Ji Hoo wants us to play nice… I wasn't helping you, I hope you know that!" Jun Pyo said.

Jan Di scoffed, "Oh, I know that!" and she grinned, "…Well, I have to go…"

Jun Pyo nodded, and Jan Di began to hurry off again. After a few feet, she stopped and turned back. "Hey, Gu Jun Pyo!" she called over her shoulder.

"Yea?" he looked over at her, hands in pockets.

"Are we…do you think we…could be friends?"

Jun Pyo half-scoffed, "Only if you don't tell anyone about it!" he called over to her, grinning slightly.

Jan Di shook her head, chuckling.

Such a Gu Jun Pyo response, she thought, but she'd take it.

"Deal," she said, and then she took off again.


The nightmare trio stood behind a pillar. They'd witnessed the whole scene.

"Did you see that?!" Ginger exclaimed. And Sunny and Miranda nodded desolately.

"Friends? Friends?! Who's she kidding?!" Ginger exclaimed.

"That little vixen…she's so sneaky!" Sunny added.

The three nodded and glared in unison after where Jan Di and Jun Pyo had been.


It was a Friday morning, and Jan Di met with Ji Hoo at the stairwell, as they often did before class. Ji Hoo had just asked Jan Di about doing something together that night.

"Oh, I would love to, Ji Hoo, but Min-Ji asked me to go out to a club tonight."

"A club?" Ji Hoo asked. Had he heard her right?

"Yes. I normally wouldn't go to one, but she's been a little down lately. I haven't been spending much time with her, and I think I hurt her feelings. I feel badly about that."

Ji Hoo nodded, "I understand." He was disappointed to not be able to spend time with her, but he appreciated how much Jan Di cared about her friends.

"Does this bother you? Do you not want me to go" she asked, noticing the shadow fall across his face.

"No, it's fine," Ji Hoo said, putting on his best smile, "You should have fun with your friend." And he meant it. Ji Hoo was actually very glad that Jan Di had a friend at Shinwha.

"It wouldn't be my choice of activities, but it was what she wanted to do," Jan Di further justified, in hopes of appeasing him—and her conscience, slightly. "…At least you'll get to spend some more time with F4. I've still been feeling a bit guilty about that, too…"

Ji Hoo nodded. "Do you need a ride there?"

"No, we're fine. Gomawo, Ji Hoo. You just have fun with Gu Jun Pyo, Yi Jeong Sunbae, and Woo Bin Sunbae."

Ji Hoo nodded again. "Well, you have fun tonight, too."

She nodded, "Gomawo," and Ji Hoo caught her hand, giving it a light squeeze before turning to walk off.


That night, F4 was at their clubhouse, doing the usual: Jun Pyo was playing video games; Ji Hoo was playing guitar, and Yi Jeong and Woo Bin were shooting pool, though they had dates later.

"What do you know about this club, Woo Bin?" Ji Hoo inquired about the club Jan Di and Min-Ji had gone to that evening.

Woo Bin put down his pool cue and rubbed his chin. "Well, I've been there before. It's not bad, nothing compared to ours, though."

"I mean, what kind of scene is it? What sort of people go there?"

Woo Bin thought for a moment, "Just the typical club scene, I'd say…," he replied, "Why?"

"Are you worried about Geum JanDi?" Yi Jeong asked.

Ji Hoo tightened his mouth. "A little…," he admitted and went back to strumming his guitar.

"Are you worried that others guys will hit on Jan Di, Ji Hoo-yah?" Yi Jeong asked after taking a shot.

"Why would any guys hit on Geum Jan Di? She's not much to look at…," Jun Pyo blurted without looking up, controller still in hand.

F3 all turned to look at Jun Pyo. Ji Hoo opened his mouth to speak—planning to warn Jun Pyo again about being disrespectful to his girlfriend, but he decided against it. After all, Ji Hoo knew it was all an act. Was Jun Pyo overcompensating? Instead, Ji Hoo gave Jun Pyo a slightly annoyed, cautionary glance. Jun Pyo caught Ji Hoo's eye and silently turned back to the screen.

"That was a bit harsh, Jun Pyo," Yi Jeong commented, stuffing his hands into the pockets of his suit jacket.

"Yea, man, Geum Jan Di's a little cutie! I'd take her out and show her a good time!" Woo Bin interjected. Ji Hoo and Jun Pyo both glared at Woo Bin. He held up his hands and chuckled, "Whoa, easy now…"

Ji Hoo shook his head at Woo Bin and looked back to Yi Jeong. "No, I'm not worried about that. I mean…that's likely to happen and I don't like the thought of it, but I trust her. I just…have this bad feeling…" That she'll get into trouble…

It was strange. It was like Ji Hoo could…sense…something foreboding...

Noticing Ji Hoo's unrest, Woo Bin suggested, "We could stop by and…check in on her, if you want, Ji Hoo-yah."

"Definitely not," Ji Hoo responded immediately, "You are not to spy on Geum Jan Di," he demanded, "I don't want her to think I don't trust her, or I'm being possessive..." He released a sigh and went back to his instrument.

F2 nodded. Ji Hoo lightly his guitar strings, playing a soft melody, but he was so distracted that he plucked the wrong one and the instrument twanged discordantly. At the unpleasant sound, F3 turned to Ji Hoo in unison.


An Hour Later

Min-Ji and Jan Di had just arrived at the club. Min-Ji wore a mini dress and her hair up. Jan Di was in a modest and inexpensive, yet somewhat trendy outfit. They walked around, taking in the scene. A pop group was performing on stage, and the dance floor was crowded. Min-Ji led Jan Di to the bar and ordered a couple of drinks. Min-Ji offered to buy Jan Di a drink, but she declined. Then, Min-Ji suggested that they dance, but Jan Di politely informed her that she'd rather watch. Min-Ji nodded and went out on the dance floor alone, while Jan Di sat down at a nearby table against the wall and pulled out a bottle of sparkling water.

A decent-looking guy sat in the corner near Jan Di. He appeared to be a few years older than her, and he had a guitar case propped up beside him. He smiled over at her. Jan Di returned with—what she hoped was—a polite, yet not encouraging or flirtatious smile.

Then, Jan Di turned to watch Min-Ji on the dance floor. She was currently dancing with several guys in a group.

"Can I buy you a drink?" a voice suddenly came. Jan Di looked up to see the man who'd just smiled at her.

"No, kamsahamnida," she said politely and bowed. The guy frowned and walked off, and Min-Ji came over.

She glanced back at the guy who had just left. "He was cute. Why didn't you let him buy you a drink?"

"Well because I'm dating Ji Hoo Sunbae."

Min-Ji smiled, "I know, but it doesn't hurt to let a guy buy a drink for you. Are you afraid your boyfriend would be jealous?"

Jan Di shook her head. "No, he wouldn't be. He trusts me," Jan Di asserted, "But I don't want to be encouraging anything. Besides, I'm not really a drinker."

Min-Ji gave a short laugh, "You're just too perfect, aren't you Jan Di-yah?"

Jan Di stared at Min-Ji, slightly shocked by her sarcastic comment. Min-Ji had always been nothing but nice to her. Min-Ji gazed out across the dance floor and then excused herself. Jan Di watched her go to the bar. A few minutes later, she brought back a couple of drinks. Min-Ji handed one to Jan Di. "Here."

"Min-Ji-ah, I, uh…"

"Just have one drink, Jan Di-yah…you need to lighten up a little!"

Jan Di gave an awkward smile and brought the glass up toward her lips. It looked like orange juice with a wedge on the side. Jan Di took a sniff, wondering what was in it. Min-Ji held out her own glass to toast with Jan Di and clinked it against hers. Jan Di brought the glass to her lips again but then set it down when Min-Ji turned away. She took a sip of her water instead.

A few drinks in, a slightly tipsy Min-Ji turned to Jan Di. "So, Jan Di, what's the deal with you and Jun Pyo?" she blurted out.

"What?" Jan Di mouthed, barely able to hear her over the blaring pop music. Min-Ji repeated, louder and nearly shouting.

"Eh? No deal, Min-Ji-ah. We're friends, well, sort of…," Jan Di still didn't exactly know how to define their relationship. Jan Di recalled her recent interactions with Jun Pyo.

"How could you possibly turn Jun Pyo Sunbae-nim down?" Min-Ji said out-of-the blue. Her expression was one of perplexity.

"Huh? What do you mean?"

"He obviously liked you…," Min-Ji said matter-of-factly, "Everyone saw it."

Jan Di stared wide-eyed at Min-Ji. "I really don't think he liked me, Min-Ji. He was always torturing me…"


Jan Di recalled that Jun Pyo had done a few nice things for her, though. He'd bought her Park Tae-Hwan's goggles. He'd taken care of her when she accidentally got drunk, and he'd tried to cheer her up about Ji Hoo and Seo Hyun. And he had told her that—though she wasn't much—that she was the first girl he'd ever approved of... It was a backdoor compliment, but for Jun Pyo, that was probably about as good as it got.

But to suggest that Jun Pyo liked her…it seemed a ridiculous notion… Then again, when Jun Pyo had kidnapped her and given her a makeover, he had mentioned something about her being his girlfriend in secret. But she'd thought he was only screwing with her—in some elaborate plan to further torment her.


Min-Ji scoffed, "You're so naïve...," she took a large gulp of her drink.

"Min-Ji-ah…," Jan Di gaped at Min-Ji, with a hurt expression, "Why are you acting this way?"

Jan Di couldn't believe the rude, cold tone Min-Ji was taking with her. Though Min-Ji was clearly on her way to being drunk, it was still a side of her Jan Di had never seen before.

Min-Ji didn't answer but instead took another drink. "You turn the head of Gu Jun Pyo, and you don't go for it… I don't get it. What's wrong with you?" She took another drink, "...Still, I'm glad you didn't go for it..."

Jan Di's lips parted, "Min-Ji-ah…"

Min-Ji shook her head and took another sip.

"Min-Ji-ah, do you…like Gu Jun Pyo?" Jan Di asked, tentatively.

Min-Ji remained silent for a moment. She simply smirked at Jan Di, ignoring the question entirely, "So, what gives? Even though I'm relieved, I still wonder…why didn't you go for it with Jun Pyo?"

"Well, I like Ji Hoo Sunbae… You know that."

"Oh, right…aren't you concerned about that?"

"About what?"

"That dating Ji Hoo Sunbae-nim will ruin his friendship with Jun Pyo Sunbae-nim…"

The statement hit Jan Di hard. This was something that she had never actually considered. She blinked a few times. "Why…why would it ruin their friendship?"

Min-Ji scoffed again. "Oh, you're really clueless, aren't you, Jan Di-yah?" Min-Ji smiled and gave Jan Di's hair a light, condescending pet.

"By the way, you still haven't touched that," Min-Ji commented, motioning to Jan Di's drink on the table, "One drink won't hurt you, you know, Jan Di-yah."

Jan Di sighed, "OK," she nodded. The whole conversation was making her uneasy, so she took a quick sip of the drink. She cringed slightly at the strong taste of whatever alcohol was in it.


Min-Ji looked out across the room. "Well, well, well Jan Di, look who's here…" Jan Di followed Min-Ji's finger to see Ji Hoo walking toward them. "It looks like your boyfriend doesn't trust you, after all…," Min-Ji said. As he got closer, they both noticed that Ji Hoo looked highly concerned, almost angry.

"Sunbae? What are you doing here?" Jan Di asked upon Ji Hoo's arrival before them. She smiled faintly at Ji Hoo.

"Are you OK?" he asked, rather than answering her question.

Jan Di looked at him curiously and nodded. But suddenly, Jan Di wobbled, and Ji Hoo caught her. "Jan Di, don't drink any more of that," Ji Hoo said, snatching the glass from her hand. He took a quick inhale of the drink and made a face. Ji Hoo slammed the glass down upon the table and turned to Min-Ji, "I saw what you did…," Ji Hoo muttered coldly, "What did you put in it?" he demanded. Min-Ji simple stared at him.

"Sunbae!" Jan Di grasped onto Ji Hoo's arm, "Wh-what…are you talking about?"

Jan Di looked up at Ji Hoo doe-eyed. He looked more furious than she'd ever seen him, even more furious than when she'd gone to Seo Hyun on his behalf. Jan Di wobbled again and felt her vision begin to blur. "…S-sun-bae…I feel…dizzy…," she blinked several times and leaned into Ji Hoo's chest. He held her tighter around the waist, keeping her upright. "Jan Di-yah? Are you alright?" he demanded. Jan Di mumbled drowsily.

Ji Hoo turned to Min-Ji. "What the hell are you trying to pull?!" he raised his voice, "You're supposed to be her friend! Have you forgotten how she stood up for you?!" Min-Ji took a step back and swallowed the large lump that had caught in . A look of guilt suddenly washed over Min-Ji's face.

Ji Hoo exhaled sharply. "I'll deal with you later," Ji Hoo seethed at Min-Ji before lifting Jan Di into his arms and carrying her out of the club.


With a heavy chest, Ji Hoo gently put Jan Di into the back of the Escalade and strapped her in. He got in beside her and told the driver to go. Ji Hoo glanced over at Jan Di. Her eyes were flitting back and forth and her head bobbed slightly.

"Getting into trouble again, Jan Di-yah?" Ji Hoo asked with a sad tenderness. He brushed her cheek with the back of his hand.

"Mianhae, Sunbae...," she mumbled, "…But S-un-bae, how did you know…that I would get into trouble?" she asked, barely hanging onto consciousness.

Ji Hoo thought for a moment. "I don't know. Somehow, I just knew… It was like I could feel it…"

Jan Di nodded and murmured her thanks before passing out against his shoulder. Ji Hoo shut his eyes tightly and placed a kiss upon the top of her head. "I'm so sorry, Jan Di-yah…for not protecting you better…," he whispered, softly her warm cheek. Jan Di mumbled something unintelligible in her sleep and snuggled against him. Ji Hoo kissed the top of her head again.


Although Ji Hoo was relieved that he'd followed his instincts to go to the club to check on her and that he'd gotten there before anything worse could happen, he felt completely horrible that she'd gotten taken advantage of. It seemed that Jan Di was constantly being hurt because of him…

Ji Hoo had vowed to himself to care for Jan Di, to never let her feel pain… Since meeting her, it seemed that some protective instinct—that he never knew he possessed—had been activated within him. But here she was, the person he truly longed to protect, constantly experiencing hardships due to her association with him. Ji Hoo squeezed his eyes shut and promised to do everything within his power to never let harm come her way ever again and to only bring her happiness.


Jan Di yawned, groaned, and stretched her arms over her head. She could feel the warmth of the morning sun hitting her face, and she opened her eyes partially. That was enough. She quickly shut them, for the sun was extremely bright and she suddenly felt a dull throbbing in her head.

Aside from the headache, she was very comfortable, though. She was in bed, immersed in a sea of soft, warm linens. It didn't take Jan Di long to realize that it was far too comfortable to be her own bed…

She wasn't in her own bed… Not exactly a comforting thought…

Jan Di bolted upright. She blinked a few times and took in her surroundings. There was a music stand in the corner, a violin case, and she quickly recognized it to be Ji Hoo Sunbae's room… She released a sigh of relief upon realizing she was somewhere safe, but then she had another thought…

She noticed that her clothes from last night were neatly folded over a chair. Then, she looked down at herself under the covers, and she was wearing men's pajamas, Ji Hoo's most likely.

Jan Di gasped and covered herself more fully with the blanket. Not only did she fail to recall how she'd gotten here, but she also had no idea what happened last night. Not that she didn't trust Ji Hoo completely, but it was just odd waking up at a man's house, in his bed

Though, she had to admit, it wasn't the first time... She recalled waking up in Jun Pyo's mansion the night after Seo Hyun's birthday party, when she had chugged an entire glass of soju by mistake. And slowly, the events of the club began to come back to her. How in the world did she keep getting herself into such predicaments?


There was a knock at the shoji doors, which caused Jan Di to jump nearly a mile. Then, the gentle voice of Ji Hoo came from outside, "Jan Di-yah, are you awake? May I come in?"

"Um, uh, just a minute!" Jan Di stammered. She quickly smoothed her mussed hair—that must've looked completely wild—and wrapped herself tighter in the comforter. "OK, you can come in," she called.

Ji Hoo stepped in, smiling at her and holding a breakfast tray, "Good morning, Jan Di-yah. How are you feeling?"

"Oh, um…OK, just a bit of a headache," she touched her head with one hand, still holding the covers tight to her chest with the other.

"Yes, I imagine so," Ji Hoo placed the breakfast tray across her lap. "Take those," he motioned to the headache pills lying on the tray beside a glass of water, "And have some breakfast."

"Pancakes?" she asked, noticing a short-stack of them on the plate, covered in syrup.

"Yes, they're the best comfort food," he indicated.

"Comfort food?"

Ji Hoo nodded. "And they'll also help with the headache," he quickly added. He wasn't sure how much of last night she remembered, and he didn't relish the thought of reminding her about her deceitful friend.

It didn't take long for her to bring it up, though. "Sunbae, about last night…," she began. Ji Hoo put on a fake smile. "Eat first, Jan Di." He ignored the sunbae once again. She often fell back into the habit, particularly when she was uncomfortable or had something on her mind.

Ji Hoo suddenly leaned over and cut the pancakes for her with the fork and knife that were lying on the tray, "There." Jan Di blinked up at him. She thanked him and stuck her fork into the doughy breakfast food, picking it up and popping a bite into . "Mm," she chewed, thoroughly enjoying its sweetness, while Ji Hoo sat on the edge of the bed, watching.

Jan Di's eyes darted back and forth, "But, Sunbae," she began, after finishing the bite, "…Um, I was wondering…," she glanced away.

"Yes, Jan Di?"

She knew it was a ridiculous notion and she didn't exactly know how to say it, "…Did anything…happen last night…between us?" Jan Di's nose scrunched, "I mean, um, what happened last night…?" Jan Di's face turned crimson, and she stared down at her plate, poking the pancake with the fork.

Ji Hoo's brow wrinkled, but then he immediately realized what she was implying. He gave a short laugh. "You're so cute, Jan Di-yah." She gave him a puzzled look.

"Of course nothing happened, Jan Di," he assured, with a smile.

"You passed out, and I brought you here. I informed your parents that you were safe. I gave you my bed, and I slept on the couch. I can sleep anywhere, you know…" he paused, raising a brow, "What, do you think I would take advantage of you?" he teased.

"Of course not, Sunbae!" Now she felt even more ridiculous bringing it up. She turned her head away.

Ji Hoo chuckled, "And if you were wondering...I didn't change your clothes, so don't worry," he laughed. "I gave you some pajamas, and you were able to change yourself."

Jan Di nodded and went back to the pancakes. She felt better, but then she recalled Min-Ji... She decided to try not to think about her right now... And then another thought crossed her mind. "Sunbae, how is it that you always show up just when I need you?"

She'd asked him a similar question last night, and he really didn't have an answer for her.

"It's like, whenever the emergency bell goes off, you appear before me…," she said.

"Emergency bell? Like the one you pull when there's a fire?" he asked.

She nodded, "Yes."

"Then make me that."

"What?"

"Geum Jan Di's honorary firefighter."

Jan Di chuckled and smiled tenderly at him.

To Be Continued


A/N: Thoughts? Had to make sure that Yi Jeong and Ga Eul met! More SoEul to come in the next few chapters, too. I never really liked the drugging at the club part in the show, but I simply wanted to set up an opportunity for Ji Hoo to rescue Jan Di and also to deal with Min-Ji. I had considered making her 'good' in this, but I decided to keep in the conflict between them.

Teaser for next chapter: Otters, Fires, and Firefighters Part II- F4 investigates Min-Ji and her deception. Jan Di suffers more hardships. Ji Hoo vows to make Jan Di happy and to prove to all of Shinwha that she belongs there. Ji Hoo and Jan Di attend a school event together.