Anemone Part I

Something Happened to My Heart

Chapter Eight: Anemone Part I

Look forward to the future and don't forsake the ones you love. Something new is always around the corner, no matter how dark things might look right now…
(Message of the Anemone flower)

It was several weeks since their return from New Caledonia, and Jan Di and Ga Eul had just finished with the lunch rush at the porridge shop. The after-lunch lull was always a bit boring, so they usually passed the time by talking while cleaning up.

Presently, Master and Ga Eul were gabbing away, while Ga Eul helped him with dishes in the kitchen. And Jan Di was out on the floor wiping down tables. She usually joined in sporadically on their conversations, but today, she had been more quiet than usual.

Ga Eul's eyes gravitated to where Jan Di was—she had stopped cleaning and was simply staring out. "What's wrong, Jan Di-ah?"

Jan Di flinched at hearing her name being called. "Hmm? Oh, nothing!" She shook her head vibrantly and gave a small laugh.

But Ga Eul didn't believe it. Jan Di was not good at hiding things—and especially not from her. She made her way over to where Jan Di was and took a seat at the table next to her. She cradled her face in her hands and watched, as Jan Di resumed her cleaning with a sullen expression on her face.

Ga Eul pursed her lips together, and after a moment, she spoke. "Are those stupid Shinhwa girls still giving you a hard time?"

Jan Di barely nodded and continued busying herself with work.

...


Since Jan Di's return from New Caledonia, the Shinwha girls had been picking on her again—sneering, making cruel remarks that were purposely just loud enough for her to hear, and tossing out not-so-thinly veiled threats. They had been relentless, but never in Ji Hoo's presence, of course.

At first, Jan Di had thought all the heat she was catching was simply due to jealousy over the fact that she'd went on vacation with F4. But she soon learned it was more than that…

It wasn't that she hadn't noticed the tension between Ji Hoo and Jun Pyo in New Caledonia, but she'd just dismissed it at first. Maybe she didn't want to see it… But it didn't take long for the whole school to notice when they came back, and the monster trio was quick to inform her that Jun Pyo Sunbaenim and Ji Hoo Sunbae were not speaking to each other…

Jan Di hadn't known it was that bad. Like always, Ji Hoo had been coddling her, shielding her from the truth of the matter—that their friendship was on rocky shores…

And Jan Di felt terrible.

The news itself was upsetting enough—and to have to hear about it from someone other than her boyfriend, even worse—but what Jan Di absolutely could not accept was that they were saying it was all because of her!

In addition to Jun Pyo leaving them on the island, upon return, Jan Di noticed that F4 was rarely all together. It would be either Ji Hoo with Yi Jeong and/or Woo Bin, or Jun Pyo with Yi Jeong and Woo Bin, but Ji Hoo and Jun Pyo were never together or with the whole group. And it concerned her. Jan Di knew the value of a best friend, and to not be speaking to your best friend is one of the worst things. Jan Di knew that she would cry her eyes out if things ever went sour with Ga Eul.

So, she made up her mind to ask Ji Hoo about it. She was concerned for him, and she needed to help mend this somehow…


Ga Eul shot up from her seat with fists clenched, stirring Jan Di from her reverie. "Ooo, I just want to mess up those surgically-enhanced faces of theirs!" Ga Eul shouted out.

Jan Di's eyes went slightly wide. It wasn't like Ga Eul to say something so violent—it sounded more like a threat she would make… After all, she had always been the one to resort to fists, when the need arose…

"Ga Eul-ah…"

"Well, I'm sorry, but you should get back at them somehow, Jan Di! I mean, this is getting ridiculous! There needs to be a stop to it! They need to be taught a lesson! Maybe I should… Maybe I could…I don't know…," Ga Eul mused, "Slip a laxative in their drinks or something…"

That sounded more like Ga Eul to Jan Di—cleverly devious… But Jan Di knew it came only from a loving heart…

Ga Eul placed a finger to her chin, and then she got a wicked gleam in her eye, "Or, maybe I should just…run them down with my bike!"

Jan Di gaped at Ga Eul for a moment, and then a small smile-smirk crossed her lips. She did appreciate her best friend looking out for her, even if her plan was unreasonable.

"That's not necessary, Ga Eul-ah. It's no big deal," Jan Di muttered, as she took a damp cloth to one of the tables.

Ga Eul eyed Jan Di curiously. "What does Ji Hoo Sunbae say about it?"

Jan Di averted her eyes.

Ga Eul raised a brow at her friend. "Have you even told him that they're bothering you again?"

"…Well, no…," Jan Di muttered, practically under her breath.

"Why not? I'm sure that if you told him he'd put a stop to it right away."

"Well, I don't want that!" Jan Di snapped back. And then her face immediately turned. She hadn't meant to snap at Ga Eul, and in regret and frustration, she scrubbed the table harder.

Ga Eul observed Jan Di. She knew that her best friend was fiercely independent and not the type to rely on others much, but still, she was concerned for her. And she didn't feel that it was fair for Jan Di to be constantly fighting these battles. "But he's your boyfriend, Jan Di-ah. I've never had one before, but that's what a boyfriend is supposed to do—stand up for his girlfriend's honor, right? Anyway, didn't Ji Hoo Sunbae tell you before to let him know if someone bothered you?"

He did say that

In fact, Jan Di recalled Ji Hoo saying that a few times, even making her promise to let him know if something was wrong. She didn't feel good about keeping this from him, but she had to.


And Jan Di recalled that after Sunny, Miranda and Ginger finished accusing her and degrading her over the matter, they had warned her not to say anything to Ji Hoo Sunbae or Jun Pyo Sunbaenim about it. They had said that she would only burden them and make matters worse. And they glared at her, as if to confirm that she would keep quiet. It was then that she noticed a hint of fear in their eyes, for the first time.

Clearly, they knew that Ji Hoo—at least—would not stand for them treating her in such a way. They also knew that she cared deeply for Ji Hoo and would never want to burden him. And like the pretty, yet deadly snakes in the grass that they were, they preyed upon that.

But maybe there was a hint of truth to what they said. She was always being a burden to Ji Hoo, wasn't she?


When Ga Eul remained perplexed, Jan Di explained, "I can handle them, Ga Eul."

"I know you can, but—"

"Besides," Jan Di cut her off, "I don't want to burden Ji Hoo Sunbae," and she hung her head slightly.

I'm always doing that, aren't I?

"He shouldn't have to protect me all the time," Jan Di finished assuredly, and Ga Eul placed a hand upon her arm.

After all, I have nothing to offer him in return for his kindness… Jan Di released a heavy sigh.

Despite their conversation on the beach in New Caledonia—where Ji Hoo had assured her how much she meant to him—she couldn't help feeling this way. It was just how she felt about it. It was a constant source of inner turmoil, in fact.

"…You're unlike any person I have ever met before, Jan Di. You bring new experiences to my life; you challenge me to be a better man, and…you bring me…happiness…"

"You make me so happy, Jan Di, happier than I ever thought I could be…," he'd said.

In that moment, Jan Di had felt all warm and fuzzy inside—simply filled to the brim with her love—but now she felt awful. Ji Hoo loved her so unconditionally, yet she only caused him trouble…

But there was more to it than that. She could deal with the Shinwha girls, but what was truly bothering her was her last conversation with Ji Hoo at the stairwell and what happened next...


Jan Di knew that something had happened between Ji Hoo and Jun Pyo on the island. Not only was there Ji Hoo's suspicious black eye, but Jun Pyo left early. And Jan Di recalled Jun Pyo attempting to comfort her over Ji Hoo. Could it possibly have something to do with that? Ji Hoo had said that they would talk about what happened, but they never did. She'd decided to just let it go, but after her chat with the nightmare trio, how could she?

Therefore, a couple days after their return, Jan Di texted Ji Hoo, simply messaging, "We need to talk…"

They met between classes at the stairwell. Jan Di stood beside Ji Hoo, both momentarily silent and leaning against the cement wall of the balcony. Finally, she worked up her nerve. I heard…that you and Gu Jun Pyo are not speaking to one another..."

Ji Hoo tightened his mouth, which was enough to verify it for Jan Di.

"Did something happen? Why is he shunning you?" she urged.

Ji Hoo paused for a long moment before releasing a sigh. "Oh, you know how Jun Pyo is, Jan Di-ah. He's always getting into these moods," was Ji Hoo's evasive response.

Jan Di pursed her lips and nodded in agreement. She had the suspicion that Ji Hoo was keeping something from her. Jan Di internally debated but ultimately decided to be bold and not let it go at that. "But it just seems like more than that… You're his best friend. I don't understand…" And she paused before asking directly, "What happened in New Caledonia, Sunbae?"

Ji Hoo did not respond but only shoved his hands into his pockets and stared out, deep in thought. So, she looked him straight in the face and spoke, "Gu Jun Pyo was the one who gave you that black eye, right? And then he left without us… What happened between you two?"

Ji Hoo hadn't yet explained to anyone what happened on the island, and he didn't think Jun Pyo had either. Ji Hoo knew that he shouldn't keep secrets from his girlfriend, but he really didn't want to talk about or burden her with it. What good could possibly come from Jan Di knowing that Jun Pyo still had feelings for her?

Ji Hoo gently pressed his lips together. It always appeared a calm gesture, but Jan Di had deciphered that he always did that when something was on his mind… And then the words of the nightmare trio returned to haunt her…

Tearing her eyes away from him, she tentatively asked, "Is it…because of me?"

Ji Hoo's brow furrowed, and his gaze shot to her. But she avoided his eyes. "Why would you say such a thing, Jan Di?"

"Well…" Because that's what everyone is saying…

She wanted to ask him why—why the whole school was insisting she was the one who broke up F4. She wanted to demand to know what she was the last to know, it seemed, but instead, she simply stared up at him with bewildered and sorrowful eyes.

That look of hers always made him go soft, and Ji Hoo placed both hands upon her shoulder. He leaned down to look far into her eyes. "Of course, it's not your fault, Jan Di-ah." And he studied her reaction.

Despite his gentle reassurance, she didn't believe it. There was his choice of wording, first off. He'd said it wasn't her fault, not that it wasn't because of her. And she pulled back from him in disbelief and frustration.

But he didn't let her—and took hold of her shoulders firmly. "Listen to me," he urged with his eyes. She simply stared back. "Yes, I'm having an issue with Jun Pyo, but I'll work it out. You don't need to worry, and you are not to blame for it."

Jan Di glanced sullenly away. "Alright, Sunbae. I won't ask you about it anymore. I'm sorry…"

Then, Ji Hoo removed one hand from her shoulder and reached out, brushing her soft cheek with the back of his knuckle. "It'll all be fine, Jan Di-ah," he said, in his typical calm voice.

Jan Di reluctantly nodded.

Ji Ho smiled and poked her in the cheek, telling her not to make that expression. And then he placed a hand behind her head. Leaning forward, he placed a tender, persistent kiss to her forehead.

And with that, he left.

Ji Hoo's words and touch were typically calming for Jan Di, but today, not so much. He was obviously keeping something from her. Why was he lying to her?


Jan Di released a heavy sigh. Ga Eul began to press further, but she was in no mood to talk about it, so she diverted the conversation to Ga Eul—asking what was new with her. Somehow, it was enough to redirect Ga Eul, probably because she had other things on her mind now.

When Jan Di asked, Ga Eul became giddy and informed her and Master that the guy she'd been crushing on for weeks—who had also been flirting with her—had finally asked her out. She started gushing, telling them the whole story.

"And then he said…," Ga Eul deepened her voice in imitation of her male suitor, "Wanna go to a movie or something'?"

"That's so cheesy!" Master exclaimed, as he giggled alongside Ga Eul.

Jan Di smiled faintly at Ga Eul's glee, but then she went off into her own world again.

...

"Jan Di-ah," Ga Eul suddenly called out to her.

"Hm?" Jan Di's head snapped toward her friend.

"Would you and Ji Hoo Sunbae like to go on a double-date with Soo Pyo Oppa and me next Saturday?"

"Well, um…"

"Do you think Ji Hoo Sunbae would go?"

"Um, I don't know. I could ask him."

Ga Eul smiled and clasped her hands together. "Yes, ask him!"

"…OK," and then she went about her business. But Master and Ga Eul simply stared at her. "What, you mean now?"

They both shook their heads vigorously up and down. Master leaned against the counter and put his face in his hands, while Ga Eul folded her arms in wait. And they were both smiling eagerly.

Jan Di poked out her cheeks. "Alright…," and she picked up her phone.


F3 was hanging out at their clubhouse shooting pool. Yi Jeong had attempted to get Jun Pyo to join, but he had blown them off—he was clearly off sulking somewhere.

The last half hour or so had been pleasant enough, but the dreaded subject inevitably came up.

"So, what's eating Jun Pyo, Ji Hoo-ah?" Woo Bin suddenly asked.

Ji Hoo paused—bent over the pool table—before making his shot. After, he stood and shrugged. He didn't want to talk about it.

Although he was still annoyed with Jun Pyo for threatening to take Jan Di away from him, Ji Hoo's anger had subsided. It wasn't really something he expected Jun Pyo to actually try to do, and what was more, it wasn't something he imagined Jun Pyo would succeed at. Still, he appreciated that Jun Pyo had been concerned about Jan Di, and Ji Hoo felt guilty for hurting his best friend. He wanted to make things right; he just…had not figured out how to do that yet...

When Ji Hoo said nothing, Yi Jeong asked directly, "What happened in New Caledonia?"

Ji Hoo squeezed the pool cue within his hands. He had been getting that question a lot lately, so it came as no surprise. He would need to tell his closest friends eventually. So, he took a deep breath, letting it out slowly, and prepared to tell the awaiting F2 the story.


As he thought of how to broach the subject, Ji Hoo recalled attempting to smooth things over with Jun Pyo several days after returning from New Caledonia. He'd attempted to see Jun Pyo, but Jun Pyo had been making every effort not to see him. And when they did inevitably run into one another, Jun Pyo would say nothing, cast a glare, and then storm off. Formally, Ji Hoo requested to meet with Jun Pyo to clear things up, and Jun Pyo finally agreed—only because he owed him a favor from the past. So, the two of them met at Ji Hoo's private movie theater.

Ji Hoo was seated in the back when Jun Pyo arrived. They said nothing to one another, and Jun Pyo took a spot in a different row, on the other side of the aisle. At first, they sat there silently watching a movie they'd seen together 10 times.

Finally, Ji Hoo spoke, keeping his eyes glued to the screen. "I'm sorry…about Jan Di. I know you like her..."

Jun Pyo's eyes blazed momentarily, but he only silently simmered and fixed his eyes upon the screen.

Ji Hoo began wringing his hands lightly. "I guess I knew all along, and maybe…maybe I should have just…"

But Ji Hoo couldn't even say the words—stepped aside, let it go…

And even if he were to say it, it would be hollow—because he didn't mean it. Yes, it hurt knowing that his friend was hurting, but what good would it do to say it? It wouldn't change anything. It wouldn't make Jun Pyo—or him—feel any better. And they'd already been through this in New Caledonia. So, why was Jun Pyo still so angry, and why had he decided to take off?

After 30 or 40 seconds of only the movie blaring in the background, Ji Hoo spoke, "Jun Pyo-ah, why did you leave the island without us?"

Ji Hoo turned to watch Jun Pyo, waiting for him to speak or explode, or something... And Jun Pyo stared hard at the screen, as if his eyes could burn holes in it

Suddenly, Jun Pyo snorted, "Because I just couldn't stand it anymore!" and he shot up from his seat.

Ji Hoo rotated his neck to look over at Jun Pyo; he was refusing to meet his eyes. Then, Jun Pyo turned his back and stormed up the aisle toward the exit, while Ji Hoo sullenly watched him.

But as Jun Pyo began to walk out, he suddenly stopped and turned to meet Ji Hoo's eyes. "And it was 11 times," he corrected Ji Hoo's earlier comment, with a biting tone. Ji Hoo only stared back at Jun Pyo.

"If you remembered that I was the best friend, who you watched this movie 11 times with, then we wouldn't even be having this conversation…"

And with those words, Ji Hoo felt tiny prickles of guilt forming all over.

"Prepare yourself," Jun Pyo growled.

Prepare for what, exactly? Ji Hoo wondered. Was Jun Pyo going to do something? Was he truly going to attempt to steal Jan Di away, as he had suggested on the island?

But Ji Hoo knew better than to question him at a time like this, for Jun Pyo's temper was blazing right now. And Ji Hoo couldn't be sure what his quick-tempered friend might do… Jun Pyo was hot-headed, and he got fixated on things… He was the type to just bulldoze through and take whatever he wanted without a second thought, but despite that, Ji Hoo knew that he had a good heart deep down. Would Jun Pyo really demolish his best friend in the process? He didn't want to think so…

After Jun Pyo left, Ji Hoo stared at the spot where he had been in disbelief. He knew that he shouldn't be surprised by anything Jun Pyo said or did by now, and he knew that his dramatic 'prepare yourself' statement had likely been just an empty threat—in anger—but that didn't prevent the deep pit from forming in his stomach.


Ji Hoo had been off in his head—once again—and when he returned to reality, Yi Jeong and Woo Bin were watching him, clearly still waiting for an answer to Yi Jeong's question. But before Ji Hoo could begin to address it, his phone rang. He glanced down at the caller ID and his lips twitched in response.

"Ohh, is it Geum Jan Di?" Woo Bin asked suggestively, with a raise of his brow.

"Yes," Ji Hoo replied nonchalantly, and he prepared to hit the button to answer.

"Don't be too eager now, Ji Hoo-ah," Woo Bin teased.

"Yes, let it ring a few more times," Yi Jeong advised with a sly grin. "You don't want to give her the upper hand."

Woo Bin and Yi Jeong smirked at one another, and Woo Bin laid a hand upon Yi Jeong's shoulder. Ji Hoo just shook his head and pressed the button anyway, "Yoboseyo."

Despite his current situation, Ji Hoo instinctively smiled upon hearing her voice. He didn't know how, but she always managed to turn his mood around, just by being her. And he was relieved to hear from her, too. Things had been strange since their return, and he feared that it could be negatively affecting Jan Di. "Jan Di-ah, how are you?" he asked, as he turned to walk off—for privacy.

"Oh. Well…," Ji Hoo looked to Yi Jeong and Woo Bin, and they mouthed 'what did she say?' to him.

Ji Hoo simply waved them off with a hand. "Sure, I'd love to," he smiled into the phone.

Woo Bin raised his hands questioningly, as Yi Jeong looked on behind him. And Ji Hoo turned his back on them.

"OK, I'll see you later. Bye," and Ji Hoo hung up.

"So, what was that all about?" Woo Bin asked, with a smirk, after the call was ended.

"We're going on a double-date," Ji Hoo replied.

Woo Bin and Yi Jeong exchanged a curious look. It seemed to have lit Yi Jeong's interest, in particular. "A double-date? With who? …Ga Eul-yang, perhaps?"

"As a matter of fact, yes."

And Yi Jeong d his chin. "Perhaps we should go along, too… I always wondered what commoners do on dates," he mused.

"First of all, don't call her that," Ji Hoo pointed a warning at Yi Jeong, who raised his hands in apology. "And we're going to this place that supposedly has the best gopchang in all of Seoul. Is that something that interests you?"

"Gopchang?" Woo Bin gave a short laugh. "You're not serious?"

Ji Hoo nodded.

"The things a man does for love," Yi Jeong smirked. Ji Hoo rolled his eyes and ignored the sarcastic comment.

"But you're really going to eat…intestines?" Woo Bin remarked, as his lips curled in repulsion.

"Looks that way," Ji Hoo replied.

Yi Jeong and Woo Bin exchanged a disgusted look.

"I'll never understand comm-," Yi Jeong began but stopped himself. And he continued with, "…the average person, and the food they eat."

"But are you sure your stomach can handle that kind of food, Ji Hoo-ah?" Woo Bin asked. It was widespread knowledge that F4 was accustomed to the finest in dining and had never even tried many of the customary dishes from their homeland.

"Yes, I'll be fine," Ji Hoo replied. "It doesn't hurt to try something once."


It was only a few days later that the conflict between Jun Pyo and Ji Hoo escalated—publicly. Jan Di was in the cafeteria having lunch; she hadn't seen Ji Hoo yet that day. As she stuffed her face with a serving of rice, Jun Pyo, Yi Jeong, and Woo Bin entered the cafeteria. Jun Pyo rang the golden bell that hung from the ceiling to gain everyone's attention, which Jan Di had always thought was a bit much. And out of the blue, Jun Pyo announced that Yoon Ji Hoo was no longer a part of F4 and that in one week he would be kicked out of Shinhwa.

Jan Di's eyes shot to Jun Pyo, and their eyes met. His eyes were cold and dark, as if he had no remorse whatsoever about what he just said.

And the declaration seemed to shock everyone, including Yi Jeong and Woo Bin—who looked as equally confused as she. After his mandate, Jun Pyo stormed off, and Jan Di watched as F2 chased after Jun Pyo, trying to reason with him.

Jan Di's brow wrinkled in concern, and she allowed her utensils to slip from her fingers onto the table. She sighed, dejected and stared down at the food she no longer had an appetite for. It was then that Sunny, Miranda, and Ginger approached her in a blind rage. Ginger slammed her hands upon the table in front of Jan Di.

"You see?! You see what you've done?! Because of you, Ji Hoo Sunbae will be kicked out!"

Jan Di scowled up at her.

"It should be you who gets kicked out!" Sunny screeched.

"Yeah! It's not fair that Ji Hoo Sunbae should suffer because of you!" Miranda chimed in—her doll-like face had reddened in fury.

And it hit Jan Di hard. She was doing it again—causing Ji Hoo to suffer…

Ginger glared down at Jan Di. "I knew you were trouble from the start," she seethed. "I knew that you would be the downfall of Ji Hoo Sunbae and F4! You need to take responsibility, you cheap piece of—"

"I would stop right there if I were you!" the voice of Ji Hoo boomed from behind the girls.

Stealthy as he was, Ji Hoo had slipped up behind them unnoticed. The monster trio spun around to see Ji Hoo standing there and looking furious.

"Sunbae!" Ginger exclaimed. And Sunny and Miranda hid behind her.

Ji Hoo charged up to the trio and got slightly in Ginger's face. "I'll take responsibility. And how dare you talk to her that way! I warned you, didn't I?" Ji Hoo's eyes burned into Ginger's. "Cheap? I think you are the cheap ones!"

"Sunbae?! But...but…," Ginger pouted, her lip quivering. "Don't you see what she's done?! If you continue to take her side, how can we continue to support you?"

"I never asked for your support, and I don't need or want it!" Ji Hoo raised his voice.

The trio gaped at the usually docile White Prince.

"Besides, I think you should worry more about yourselves," Ji Hoo continued in a low, icy tone. "I'm not going to forget about this...," he added, his face mere inches from hers.

Ginger's eyes shot away from Ji Hoo's in fear, while Sunny and Miranda continued cowering behind her. Then, Ginger released a whimper and rushed off, followed closely by the other two.

And Ji Hoo approached Jan Di, who was sitting sullenly—alone—at her table. She kept her eyes lowered for a few extra seconds before looking up at him with one of the bleakest of looks he'd ever seen, like a day entirely devoid of sunlight. And it pierced his heart.

Ji Hoo leaned down and gave her a warm smile. "Don't make that expression," he said good-naturedly.

Although she didn't feel like smiling right now, she noticed the corner of her lips twitch. Even on her worst of days, she supposed, he had that kind of effect on her.

After the dramatic scene, Jan Di and Ji Hoo went to the stairwell together. They leaned against the wall, with Jan Di's arm pressed lightly into his. And they stood there in silence for several long minutes before Jan Di angrily shouted out, "I can't believe Gu Jun Pyo is treating you this way! So what if he's Gu Jun Pyo! That doesn't give him the right!"

Despite the situation they were in, a smile crossed Ji Hoo's lips. It reminded him of the old days—the days of Geum Jan Di screaming from rooftops, about Jun Pyo...

When Jan Di noticed Ji Hoo's smile, she stared at him in confusion, so he poked her lightly in the cheek again. "Well, I guess we're both in trouble this time," he teased, recalling Jan Di's past situations.

Jan Di dropped her head and dug her foot into the concrete beneath them. And she sighed. "I know he's Gu Jun Pyo, but he can't do this, can he?"

"Yes, he can," Ji Hoo replied matter-of-fact, as he stared out across the courtyard. And then he turned back to her. "Who do you think owns the school? He has Shinhwa Group behind him."

Jan Di clenched her fists at her sides. "But it isn't fair! I just can't take that he's doing this to you! I'd rather it be me!"

Ji Hoo shook his head. "No, I wouldn't want that," he spoke softly, "This place…and being part of F4…those things don't really matter to me."

Jan Di frowned. "Sunbae… How can you say that? They are your friends..."

Ji Hoo turned his head from her and grew silent. And Jan Di watched him for a moment before lowering her eyes to the ground, muttering, "What are we going to do?"

Ji Hoo turned back to her. "There's no need for you to do anything, Jan Di-ah."

"But…"

Ji Hoo sighed. "Right now, Jun Pyo is being stubborn." Ji Hoo supposed it was the best way he could put it. "But I'm sure it'll work itself out in time…"

Jan Di couldn't tell if Ji Hoo truly believed that or if he was merely placating her. She wanted to question him further, for she still did not understand the whole thing, but instead, she simply nodded. She supposed that she should trust in her boyfriend—that he knew how to handle his best friend and his own problems. But she still felt like, somehow, she was to blame, and she couldn't seem to let that go.

Ji Hoo gave Jan Di a smile and a reassuring squeeze to the shoulder before bidding her goodbye. And she stood there rooted to the spot for a moment, processing everything. And then she took off. She took off running and headed straight for the swimming pool. It was always the best way to clear her head.

...

As Jan Di made her way through lap after vigorous lap, she sorted through her thoughts. And she realized something… She realized that she couldn't just let it go.

I need to fix this. I will fix this! Jan Di vowed to herself. After all, she had promised herself long ago that she would be the best girlfriend she could be for Ji Hoo, despite the meager scraps she had to offer him. So, if she had, in fact, broken it, then fixing his friendship with Gu Jun Pyo was the least she could do…


Jun Pyo had been skillfully avoiding Jan Di's various attempt at contact the past few days, but she was not the type to give up easily. She had tracked him down several times at school, but when she would call out his name, he would ignore her, speed up and find some way to ditch her.

Today, she'd already tried the F4 lounge at Shinhwa, as well as all of F4's usual hangouts—with no luck. She'd even waited on a nearby bench in front of the school, until all the students filtered out of the building, hoping to catch him. But she didn't see him. So, she decided to try him at home. She debated on this but then—with determination—hopped on her bike and rode all the way there.

Jan Di arrived at the Gu Mansion and rang the bell. A woman dressed in a maid's outfit answered.

"Hello," she gave a short bow. "I'm Geum Jan Di. I'm here to see Gu Jun Pyo. Is he…available?"

The maid asked Jan Di to wait a moment, and then she shut the door and went back inside. She returned several minutes later. Lowering her head, the maid said, "I'm afraid I'm not allowed to invite you in, Miss."

Jan Di's brow wrinkled, "Not…allowed…?" she muttered.

Speaking softly, the maid apologized again and prepared to shut the door. But then Jan Di heard another female voice coming from inside. "Who is it?"

It was then that a beautiful woman, who appeared to be in her late twenties, came to the door. She was tall with long, sleek umber hair, large dark eyes, and a slender figure. With a bow, the maid moved aside for the woman. "I'm sorry, Miss, but the young master ordered me not to allow her in," the timid maid whispered—but not so quietly that Jan Di could not hear.

"That's nonsense," the woman retorted. Turning to Jan Di, she smiled brightly. "I'm Gu Jun-Hee. Please come in."

Once inside, Jan Di bowed before Jun-Hee. "Pleased to meet you. I'm Geum Jan Di."

Jun Hee nodded. "Likewise."

"I'm uh…a friend…of Gu Jun Pyo's, I guess…," she mumbled the last part more quietly.

Jun-Hee placed a finger to her lips, seemingly intrigued by Jan Di's comment. "Really? A friend, you say?"

Jan Di nodded slowly, and Jun-Hee revealed her utterly perfect smile. She clapped her hands together. "That's wonderful!"

Jan Did gave an awkward smile in response.

In actuality, Jan Di wasn't quite sure where she stood with Jun Pyo after New Caledonia. He was clearly angry with her about something, for he'd been avoiding her and had just now forbidden her from entering his home. So, she wasn't sure what would happen when she met him, or what exactly she would say…

When Jan Di grew quiet, Jun-Hee placed a hand upon her shoulder. "If you are a friend of my younger brother then you must be a very special person, Jan Di-ah."

Jan Di pressed her lips together in a humble smile.

Jan Di kept her eyes lowered and asked, "Um, Gu Jun Hee-ssi, if it's not too much trouble…could I…speak with Gu Jun Pyo?"

"Call me Unnie," she replied, her eyes crinkling along with her lips.

Jan Di nodded. "Yes, Unnie." The word strange, considering she'd only just met the woman. Still, she was very friendly, and Jan Di liked her already.

Jun Hee smiled genuinely. "Of course. Right this way," and she began leading Jan Di off through the foyer of the mansion.

"I'm sorry to come unannounced like this," Jan Di mumbled, as she followed behind the much taller woman.

"Oh, don't mind that," Jun-Hee replied, without slowing her graceful gait.

As they walked through the mansion, Jan Di glanced around and memories flooded back to her. She noticed the stairs she had descended after being given a forced makeover… She noticed the living room, where she had seen Jun Pyo standing after he'd had her kidnapped. And she recalled thinking it was Ji Hoo standing there at first…

Jan Di's mind continued to drift on a sea of nostalgia, as she recalled everything that had happened since Jun Pyo, Ji Hoo, and the rest of F4 came into her life.

And she thought of Jun Pyo… She'd absolutely despised him at first, and he'd made her life miserable in the beginning. But then, that changed—he'd changed… He'd demonstrated on more than one occasion that he could be kind. And she could honestly say that her life wouldn't be as sweet as it was today without him. With that thought, Jan Di was immediately filled with regret…

She had been so concerned with how this whole fight was affecting Ji Hoo that she hadn't considered what Jun Pyo might be going through. Surely, it was hard for him, too. After all, Seo Hyun had said that Jun Pyo was lonely and that he'd had a difficult life. F4 had confirmed that. And suddenly, Jan Di's heart went out to the domineering billionaire…

Then, Jan Di stopped where she was, causing Jun-Hee to also stop. "What is it, Jan Di-ah?"

Jan Di turned her face away, hemming and hawing in uncertainty. But somehow, she felt she could trust Gu Jun-Hee. In a way, she reminded her of Min Seo Hyun.

Jun-Hee was giving Jan Di her full attention—and waiting patiently. So, Jan Di took a deep breath and spoke candidly, "I…think Gu Jun Pyo might be angry with me right now… I don't think he'll want to see me, but I'm not really sure why…"

And Jan Di spilled her guts to Jun-Hee, right there in the middle of the Gu household. She told her of how she and Jun Pyo first met, of how things progressed to a semblance of friendship, of dating Ji Hoo, and of the recent New Caledonia trip.

After Jan Di finished, Jun Hee cocked her head to the side and gave her a sympathetic smile.

Wringing her hands lightly, Jan Di muttered, "Maybe I shouldn't have come…"

Then, Jun-Hee took gentle hold of Jan Di's shoulders and faced her. "No, I think it's very good that you did. It's obvious that this needs to be cleared up. I'll take you to him now. He's almost finished with a swimming lesson."

A…swimming…lesson? Had she heard Jun-Hee wrong?


Jun Hee led Jan Di into a large natatorium within the mansion. Was there no limit to Jun Pyo's wealth? Jan Di wondered. He even had his own indoor swimming pool!

As they walked in, Jan Di heard the sound of a man's voice barking out instructions, and then she saw Jun Pyo, in the pool, holding onto a floatation device and kicking his legs furiously.

He's actually in the water…?

Jan Di stopped and stared for a moment—until Jun Hee gave her a nudge forward. "Go ahead; talk to him," she urged. Jan Di stepped forward, glancing back at Jun Hee. She only smiled and took a few steps back, as if to give them a little privacy. So, Jan Di approached the edge of the pool resolutely.

Looking up and pulling off his goggles, Jun Pyo demanded, "What are you doing here?" upon seeing Jan Di.

"I need to talk to you," Jan Di replied in a firm tone of voice.

"There's nothing to talk about. Get out." Jun Pyo turned away from her, and then he barked out—to no one in particular, "I thought I told you not to let her in!"

It was then that Jun Hee stepped forward. "invited her in." And she placed her hands upon her slim hips. "Do you have a problem with that, little brother?"

Jun Pyo clenched his jaw. "Oh, Noona, you're back," he grumbled and tossed a subtle roll of the eyes.

Jun-Hee smirked and strolled up to the edge of the pool, to stand beside Jan Di. She folded her arms and looked down upon Jun Pyo. He could stand up in the water at the depth he was at, but he was still clutching the flotation device.

"You don't seem happy to see me, little brother," Jun-Hee commented with a sardonic smile. "And is that any way to treat a lady?" she motioned toward Jan Di.

"She's no lady…," Jun Pyo muttered sarcastically, and Jan Di shot him a subtle glare.

At that moment, Jun-Hee appeared to lose all patience—and showed another side to herself. With an exasperated sigh, she squatted down before Jun Pyo, and—to Jan Di's great surprise—she took his ear roughly between her fingers and yanked.

"Ya! Ow, ow, ow, Noona!"

While Jun Pyo struggled within his older sister's grip, Jan Di and the instructor looked on, wide-eyed. After nearly a minute of splashing and writhing, Jun-Hee seemed to be satisfied that she made her point. And she released him. Then, the older Gu sibling rose to a standing position again.

Jun Pyo cursed her under his breath, but Jun Hee only further reprimanded him. And he grew silent. Then, Jun-Hee dismissed the swim instructor and turned back to look upon Jun Pyo. "Talk to her," she demanded.

The siblings exchanged a sour look, and then Jun-Hee began to walk away. As she passed Jan Di, she stopped and gave her the sweetest smile—which was almost odd after that little display of violence. "It was nice to meet you," she spoke warmly. And then she walked off toward the door of the natatorium.

Jan Di watched after Jun Hee for a moment before directing her eyes back to Jun Pyo. He was rubbing his ear and avoiding eye contact with her.

Jan Di cleared . "Gu Jun Pyo, can we talk?"

"I guess I'm forced to, aren't I?" he grumbled, as he pulled himself out of the pool.

Jan Di looked away, as he went for a towel and began drying himself off. After he'd dried himself, Jun Pyo placed the towel over his shoulders, partially concealing his bare chest. He strolled back up to her. "What do you want?"

Jan Di rallied her courage—and with it, came her anger. She stuck a finger in Jun Pyo's face. "I want to know why you are doing this to Ji Hoo? He doesn't deserve this!"

Jun Pyo scoffed. "I knew you came here because of your boyfriend… He approved of you coming here?" And he began to get in her face, but when Jan Di raised her fists up, he knew to back off.

When Jun Pyo took a step back from her, Jan Di dropped her hands from face level. "Ji Hoo doesn't know I came here, but yes, I came because of him. And he's not just my boyfriend; he's your best friend!" she shouted, clenching her fists tightly at her sides. It was taking everything she had not to use them on him.

Jun Pyo turned from her, as he was suddenly assaulted by a pang of guilt.

"Are you trying to punish me by punishing Ji hoo or something? You must really hate me…"

Jun Pyo released a heavy sigh.

"But if you hate me so much," she continued, "then kick me out of school. Don't make Ji Hoo suffer." Jan Di's chest rose and fell heavily, and she worked to steady her breathing and calm her frazzled nerves.

Jun Pyo opened his mouth to speak, but nothing came out. He kept his face turned from her and after several minutes of silence, he finally muttered, "I don't hate you...I…"

It seemed as though Jun Pyo had something to say but couldn't. He seemed to give up on the broken thought and instead muttered, "Why would you think I hate you? Idiot…"

Jun Pyo gripped at his hair in frustration. She just didn't get it! Why couldn't she just understand how he really felt?! And why couldn't she just return that feeling…?

Jan Di knew she should be angry by his last remark, but in a way, it was comforting—and so typical of Jun Pyo. But it still didn't make her feel better about Ji Hoo. "So, if it's not a problem you have with me, then it's Ji Hoo… What did he do to make you want to kick him out of school and F4?"

Jun Pyo was silent; he wouldn't even look at her now, so she continued, "Fine, you don't want to tell me. But I thought you'd changed, Gu Jun Pyo," she placed her hands on her hips. ''I guess I was wrong…," she muttered.

Jun Pyo tightened his jaw.

"And another thing…," she added. "There's something else that's been bothering me…"

Jun Pyo finally met her eyes. "What?" he asked, thinning his lips.


Jun-Hee had settled behind a pillar to listen in. With arms folded, she peered out and kept watch, just in case she needed to step in on the young girl's behalf. Her brother could be so childish, after all.


"You've been avoiding me, but I thought we were going to be friends," she said disheartened. "What happened to that?"

Jun Pyo clenched his jaw tighter than a vice. "I changed my mind," he muttered.

Jan Di's lips parted, and she nodded. It wasn't like it was all that surprising for Gu Jun Pyo to say… But then she recalled something Ji Hoo had said…


When she'd tried to break up with Ji Hoo in the past, out of what she thought was necessity—but it was in fact really more about her pride and her perception of his pride. She'd told him that she thought it to be for the best, to which he'd replied, "Well, I don't think it's for the best. And I don't want to break up."

Jan Di recalled the conversation.

"What would I do if I were my good friend, Gu Jun Pyo?"

"I'll just forbid you from breaking up with me..."

"You are forbidden from breaking up with me, and you must remain my girlfriend," he said.

It brought a smile to Jan Di's lips— and gave her renewed determination. She had nothing to lose, after all…


"OK, I understand, Gu Jun Pyo, but…didn't change my mind," she paused for a moment before boldly continuing, "I don't accept that."

Her audacious statement was enough to cause Jun Pyo to spin around and look at her again. "What?!"

"That's right," she said assuredly. "I don't accept us not being friends. I still want to be friends."

From her concealment, Jun-Hee smirked in pure amusement. She liked the girl already.

Jun Pyo blinked wildly, momentarily incapacitated by her words. Finally, he stammered, "You're crazy!"

Jan Di just stared back at him, straight-faced.

"You can't just decide that! If one person doesn't want to be friends, then you're not friends. That's the way it goes!"

Jan Di shook her head. "Who says?"

Jun Pyo gaped at her as if she was a complete moron. "say!" he shot back.

"Well, how are you going to stop me?" Jan Di smirked, folding her arms across her chest.

"I'll kick you out of school, too!" he threatened.

"Fine by me. Go ahead; I never wanted to go there in the first place."

Jun Pyo released an exasperated sigh/groan hybrid. "Geum Jan Di!"

"Besides, I'm sure Yi Jeong Sunbae and Woo Bin Sunbae would be on my side in this," she asserted.

"No, they wouldn't!"

Jan Di shrugged. "Anyway, I know the places you go and where you live. And your sister supports me in this—she said so—so I could stop by and say hello anytime I wanted, I'm sure," Jan Di bluffed.

She wasn't really planning on doing that, and she certainly didn't lump herself in with his entourage of adoring fans who followed his every move. She wasn't even sure why she was pushing him like this, but she wanted to make her point—that being, that she cared about him and would do whatever it took to remain friends.

Jun Pyo stumbled over his words, having no clear retort. Where did this girl get such nerve? He knew Geum Jan Di wasn't like other girls, but no one had ever spoken to him in such a way in his entire life! Other than her, that was…

"So, you're going to stalk me!" he shouted out, accusatorily. But he didn't seem angry to Jan Di, but he rather seemed amused—even pleased by this. His lips twitched into a smirk-smile.

"If that's what it takes for you to forgive me for whatever I did and be my friend again, then I will."


Behind the pillar, Jun-Hee was stifling laughter. Placing a hand over , she continued to watch the interaction. And she observed her brother fighting back a smile. As she observed him as close as she could from her spot, she noticed that despite the act he put on, his whole face seemed to light up when he talked to her. It was quite clear to Jun-Hee that her little brother was in love…


Jun Pyo scoffed, yet the corners of his mouth had creased slightly. "Geum Jan Di has fallen very, very far."

Rather than getting angry, Jan Di shrugged, as if indifferent.

"So, you really want to be friends? You're not just doing this because of Ji Hoo," Jun Pyo inserted.

"No, I do want to be friends with you, Gu Jun Pyo. You…did some nice things for me; you're not as bad as I first thought," she smirked. "So, yes, I'd like to be your friend. Can you forgive me for whatever I did to upset you?"

He was silent for a moment, and then he mumbled, "Fine."

"But I want all of us to be friends, as a group, including Ji Hoo…"

Jun Pyo grumbled. His eyes wandered the room, and he caught sight of Jun-Hee. She gave him a cautionary glance; he sighed and turned back to Jan Di.

"Fine."

A smile made its way to Jan Di's lips. "Gomawo, Gu Jun Pyo. I'm glad I didn't have to resort to violence again to convince you."

Jun Pyo scoffed, and Jan Di released a small chuckle.

"Gu Jun Pyo, there's something else I wanted to ask you about…"

"What now?" he barked with false irritation.

Jan Di pursed her lips. "Well, you're…learning how to swim… I don't get it." And Jan Di was indeed flabbergasted. She'd thought he was terrified of the water. She'd thought it was the last thing in the world he would ever go into willingly… So, why was he taking swim lessons?

Jan Di continued to stare at him, as the water droplets dripped from his bangs.

"What, I'm not allowed to take swim lessons if I want?"

"It's not that. You can if you want, but it's just…I thought you were afraid of the water…"

"I'm not afraid of anything," he proclaimed. "I'm the great Gu Jun Pyo!"

Jan Di grinned, knowing that his statement was completely untrue. In addition to water, she also knew that he was scared to death of bugs. But she simply replied, "Right, of course."


As the two bantered back and forth for a few more minutes, Jun-Hee looked on from behind the pillar and smiled… And then she left the room.


After Jan Di took her leave, Jun Pyo slumped onto a pool chair and buried his face in his hands. And he drifted in thought…

Ever since he'd seen Ji Hoo and Jan Di kiss on that beach, Jun Pyo had been wrestling with nearly constant feelings of hurt and jealousy… When he'd given his permission to Ji Hoo to date Jan Di, he hadn't thought of the toll it would take upon him. He hadn't thought about how excruciating it would be. He hadn't thought that seeing them together would feel like having his heart ripped out of his chest over and over again…

He'd simply been trying to be selfless, to do it for his best friend, but it was already becoming too much. To have to see them together—looking at each other in that stomach-churning way, seeing them touch, seeing them hug, seeing them kiss… No, he couldn't take it! And now, every time he saw Ji Hoo, he was reminded of that scene on the moonlit beach…

He'd told Ji Hoo to prepare himself. It wasn't like he really had a plan, but in that moment his anger and jealousy had run wild with him. He'd told Ji Hoo that he would take Jan Di if he ever hurt her again, and he'd meant that. If he ever saw her hurting over Ji Hoo again, he wouldn't hold back—and he would do everything in his power to win her over. After all, Ji Hoo had stolen her heart in a matter of days, so why couldn't he do the same?

But for now, he wouldn't get in the way, and he would be a friend—to both Ji Hoo and to Jan Di. Jan Di said she wanted to be friends with him, after all… And wasn't that better that not having her at all? Jun Pyo wasn't so sure…

But he would try it. He would try being her friend… He was certain that it was a horrible idea and wouldn't work out at all—and he'd probably end up just wanting to bash his head in, but he would give it a try…

***To Be Continued**


A/N: More Jun Pyo and Jan Di than I'd originally planned this chapter, but it needed to be dealt with. I decided to save the double-date and all the chaos for next chapter. This one was kind of transitional, but I hope it was still enjoyable.

Next Chapter: The double-date… SoEul moments… Jun Pyo and Jan Di spending time together… Madam Kang being her nasty self… More fluff… And of course, more drama…