New Caledonia Pt II

Something Happened to My Heart

While Ji Hoo and Jan Di spent time alone together, Yi Jeong escorted Chu Ga Eul on a tour of New Caledonia. He had agreed to do so as a favor to Ji Hoo…

But Ga Eul had been dragging Yi Jeong all over an island—that he had been to on many occasions—non-stop for the past few hours. And his feet were killing him. One would think that such an expensive pair of shoes would provide comfort for a bit longer, as well as some amount of practicality. It was a mystery to him how she managed to keep going in those cheap, strappy things she was wearing on her feet.

Yi Jeong had to admit one thing, though—that he was seeing some things on New Caledonia for the first time ever—the other girls he had been here with in the past had been more interested in lying out on the beach or partying…

Ga Eul tugged on Yi Jeong's sleeve, pulling him up a small cliff that overlooked the city of Noumea. Yi Jeong shoved his hands into his pockets and watched her rush over to the edge for a look.

"Ji Hoo certainly owes me one after this…," he muttered to himself. And he continued to observe the commoner girl—dressed in a simple, feminine white cotton shirt and salmon-colored skirt that lightly blew in the breeze.

"Wow, it's so beautiful!" Ga Eul exclaimed, as she took in the view—of small homes, amidst a background of mountains, water, and greenery—below. She adjusted her sunhat and pulled out her camera phone, snapping off a few selfies against the background. Standing a few feet back, Yi Jeong released a heavy sigh. Commoners were so excitable about insignificant things, and apparently they never tired of sightseeing…

Suddenly Ga Eul impatiently beckoned for Yi Jeong to come over. She held the phone out expectantly to him. Yi Jeong tightened his mouth and took it from her. "You certainly do like tacky things…," he replied, as he held up the phone. Ga Eul gave no reaction but simply posed, and Yi Jeong pressed the camera button.

"There, happy? You've seen the view and taken some pictures. Can we go now?"

"Almost… We still have to go up…," Ga Eul raised a brow.

"Up there?"

Ga Eul shot Yi Jeong a mischievous grin before taking off running up the hill.

"What are you doing?" Yi Jeong called after her. "Ya, this is my ninth time coming here, and no one has ever gone up there!"

But Ga Eul didn't respond and simply continued to scale the hill as quickly as she could in her chunky, heeled sandals. Yi Jeong raised his eyes skyward and sighed. "Oh, how did I get stuck with someone like her…," he mumbled. "Ahh, have patience, So Yi Jeong…" He shut his eyes tight and repeated a pottery mantra to himself that he'd learned as a child.


Yi Jeong was suddenly torn from his meditation by the sound of Ga Eul's scream. His eyes snapped open and his brow furrowed. He hesitated for only a moment before taking off up the hill after her. He ran up the hill, around a large canon, and hopped a stone wall. Once at the top, Yi Jeong scanned the area for his missing companion, and he continued to do so when he did not see her right away, growing increasingly worried as he searched.

Ga Eul slinked up behind him, startling him. Yi Jeong turned to face her and breathed a sigh of relief.

"What was that all about?" he scoffed.

"That was payback for dragging me away on false pretenses and for calling me fat before!"

Yi Jeong shook his head at her but then revealed a radiant smile.

"But most of all it's for making me worry about Jan Di…"

Yi Jeong smirked. "You're a loyal friend, aren't you, Ga Eul-yang?"

Ga Eul released a short burst of air. "And you? Are you not a loyal friend?" she questioned.

Yi Jeong's brow wrinkled. "What do you mean by that?"

"Well, I was a bit surprised by the things you were saying about Ji Hoo Sunbae. Isn't he one of your best friends? Why would you badmouth him and question his happiness with Jan Di?"

"He is one of my best friends. And I wasn't badmouthing him. I do want him to be happy. But it's more complicated than that. I just…worry… Ahh, I just feel…like this situation has disaster written all over it…," he said, raising his eyes to the clear blue sky.

Ga Eul frowned and stared down at her feet. Disaster…?

Yi Jeong looked back to Ga Eul. "But then again, I could be wrong. And everything could work out perfectly…"


Jan Di and Ji Hoo returned in the late afternoon. Ji Hoo walked Jan Di to her room so that she could change. Parting was difficult, for it had been such an amazing day—one that had gone by entirely too quickly. It was such a rare thing, after all, for them to have time alone together—aside from stolen moments in the stairwell and the occasional date when Jan Di was not working.

They lingered, holding hands outside Jan Di's room.

"I had a good time today, Ji Hoo-yah, gomawo…," Jan Di spoke, glancing shyly away. She felt a rising heat within her cheeks at the memory of their playfulness in the water and of their kisses… Or perhaps she'd just gotten a bit sunburned...

"So did I, Jan Di-yah," he replied, as he twined his fingers with hers.

A sweet smile crossed Jan Di's lips, and she turned back to face him. Then, Ji Hoo slowly leaned forward, and Jan Di's eyes instinctively fluttered closed. She awaited—eager to feel his soft lips against hers again. Though it had only been hours since their last kiss, it had seemed interminable…

But the moment was interrupted by the sound of footsteps. They shot apart from each other like shrapnel, just as Yi Jeong and Woo Bin approached.

"Soo…, where have you two been, and what have you been doing…?" Woo Bin raised a suggestive brow. And Yi Jeong chuckled.

Jan Di flushed and cast her eyes downward, while Ji Hoo merely rolled his eyes. "Never mind that," he said.

"We are going to change, and then we are all hanging out at the beach until dinner. Will you join?" Yi Jeong asked of the two of them.

Ji Hoo and Jan Di nodded. Jan Di bowed to Yi Jeong and Woo Bin, said a quick goodbye to Ji Hoo—still feeling embarrassed by F2's insinuations—and entered her room.


F3 walked together toward their own rooms.

"So, did we interrupt something back there…?" Yi Jeong teased.

"Yes. Yes, you did. And thank you very much for that…," Ji Hoo said sarcastically, smirking over at Yi Jeong.

F2 chuckled. "Mianhae, Ji Hoo-yah…," Yi Jeong replied.

"So, how was your special day with Jan Di, then?" Yi Jeong gave a wry smile.

"It was very nice," Ji Hoo replied.

"Did anything happen between you and Geum Jan Di today?" Woo Bin playfully elbowed Ji Hoo in the ribs.

Ji Hoo shook his head. "You guys never let up, do you? What are you implying?"

"Oh, nothing…," Woo Bin replied, and he and Yi Jeong exchanged a glance.

"And how were your days?" Ji Hoo asked, deciding it best to change the subject.

Yi Jeong spoke up first. "Well, that Chu Ga Eul is quite the handful…," he gave an eye roll. But Ji Hoo swore he caught the hint of a smile teasing the corner of Yi Jeong's lips.

"Are you suggesting that a woman was too much for F4's Casanova to handle?" Ji Hoo joked.

Yi Jeong scoffed. "Not at all."

Ji Hoo folded his arms. "Well, I hope you were nice to her…"

Yi Jeong smirked. "Of course I was nice, Ji Hoo-yah."

"OK, good…"

"Mine was just OK," Woo Bin jumped in. "I hung out with Jun Pyo mostly, but he was kind of being a pain all day. He was in a foul mood for some reason…"

"Oh?" Ji Hoo questioned.

Woo Bin nodded, and Ji Hoo grew somber.

"So, we're glad to have you back!" Woo Bin clapped Ji Hoo on the back. And Ji Hoo gave a faint smile.

F3 arrived at Ji Hoo's room and he invited them in for a moment. Yi Jeong and Woo Bin took a seat on the couch in the main area.

"So, Ji Hoo-yah... Seriously, how are things going with Geum Jan Di?" Woo Bin asked.

"Really well," Ji Hoo replied immediately.

"Yes, it certainly seems so…," Yi Jeong grinned. "After all, I did see you looking in that jewelry store at the mall… Were you perhaps thinking of getting a little something for Geum Jan Di…?"

Ji Hoo shrugged. "I don't know, maybe…"

"Hmm, nothing says commitment like jewelry…," Yi Jeong thoughtfully d his chin. Ji Hoo shook his head.

"Do I perhaps smell a proposal coming…?" Woo Bin further teased.

Ji Hoo scoffed. "Don't be an idiot, Woo Bin. We've only been dating for three months and we're still in high school… How dumb do you think I am?"

F2 laughed raucously. "We don't think you're dumb at all, Ji Hoo-yah."

Then, Woo Bin turned to Yi Jeong. "Maybe he is just gonna say the L word…"

Ji Hoo glanced away. "Actually, I…already did…say that…"

Yi Jeong and Woo Bin went slightly wide-eyed. "Really?" they exclaimed in unison.

"Seriously?" Woo Bin inquired.

"You really told Geum Jan Di that you love her…?" Yi Jeong was still questioning his own ears.

"Yes, I did," Ji Hoo replied in a completely serious tone of voice.

"Wow…," Woo Bin uttered.

"What? Do you think I'm moving too fast?" Ji Hoo suddenly worried he would somehow frighten Jan Di off.

"Well…," Yi Jeong paused to consider.

Woo Bin hesitated. "I dunno, Buddy… Maybe… Maybe you should just…lighten up a little bit?"

Ji Hoo looked at Woo Bin curiously. He nodded and then turned to Yi Jeong. "Do you think so, too?"

Yi Jeong tightened his jaw. "Well, in all seriousness, I am a bit concerned for you… You fall in love hard, Ji Hoo-yah, and you get...fixated… You are moving along rather quickly with Geum Jan Di—taking her on vacation, considering buying jewelry for her, saying you love her… It's not like you to move so fast…"

"Well, I can't help it… I just want to please her. She has such a hard life, and I just want her to be happy…," Ji Hoo replied.

Yi Jeong and Woo Bin smiled at Ji Hoo—truly touched by his words.

"We know you do, Ji Hoo-yah, and you seem to be doing that. Geum Jan Di does seem to be really happy with you… But you are her first boyfriend…," Woo Bin began.

"What does that matter?" Ji Hoo asked.

"Well, first loves are intense, and Jan Di does seem to have fallen really hard for you…," Yi Jeong continued. Woo Bin nodded.

"What are you suggesting?"

"Nothing… Geum Jan Di is so different than all the other girls we've ever encountered, so we're not suggesting anything negative, like that she'd have impure reasons for dating you…," Woo Bin responded.

"Just commenting on the situation…," Yi Jeong added.

Ji Hoo scoffed and waved them off with a hand. "Ahh, why am I talking to you two about this anyway? And you act like I've never dated before…"

"You may have dated before, Ji Hoo-yah, but not like we've dated…," Yi Jeong teased.

"And I don't plan to date the way you date," Ji Hoo commented wryly.

F2 chuckled.

"Yes, but you do fall hard, Ji Hoo… You were in love with the same woman for 15 years, after all…," Woo Bin gently reminded.

"I know that…," Ji Hoo replied, glancing away.

"And speaking of which, how are you doing with that?" Yi Jeong asked.

"With what?"

"Min Seo Hyun…"

"I'm fine, why? I've moved on; I'm with Geum Jan Di now."

"It's just that…you moved on so quickly, Ji Hoo-yah…," Woo Bin interjected.

Ji Hoo paused to consider that statement. "I suppose I did… But, I know what I'm doing. You don't need to worry about me."

F2 still looked concerned.

Ji Hoo exhaled. "Really, I'm perfectly fine... I know I was hung up on Seo Hyun for a long time, but I'm truly over her now. This relationship now…it's different… I can't really explain it…" Ji Hoo paused. "Anyway, I thought you both liked Geum Jan Di..."

"We do like Jan Di. And that's one reason why we are bringing this up… What are your intentions for her, Ji Hoo-yah?" Yi Jeong smirked.

"My intentions…?" Ji Hoo lightly scoffed. "I had no idea you two were so protective of Jan Di…"

"Oh, yea, yea… She's a good kid!" Woo Bin interjected.

Ji Hoo shook his head and released a sigh. "So, what is this? Do you guys not trust me with Geum Jan Di? Do you think I am going to hurt her in some way?"

"No, we trust you. We're just concerned for you…and also for Geum Jan Di… We would understand if you were hurting over Min Seo Hyun and you rushed into dating Geum Jan Di to ease that pain of that, but that's—"

Ji Hoo did not let Yi Jeong finish. "What?" he squinted over at F2, growing increasingly annoyed at the sight of them, "How could you suggest such a thing?! You think I am using Jan Di as a rebound, then?"

"No, I didn't mean it like—"

"Is that what you think of me?" Ji Hoo shook his head and released a heavy exhale. "Jun Pyo said the same thing to me when I came back from Paris. So, I'll tell you what I told him… I care deeply for Jan Di, and I would never hurt her. She's not just some rebound from Seo Hyun. And Seo Hyun didn't reject me. I came back from Paris because of my feelings for Jan Di…"

Yi Jeong and Woo Bin exchanged a look.

"Wow…," Woo Bin uttered.

"I'm sorry, Ji Hoo-yah. We didn't know. We just want you to be happy…," Yi Jeong said, and Woo Bin nodded.

"I am happy."

F2 smiled. "We've noticed. Mianhae, Ji Hoo-yah…"

Ji Hoo sighed and gave a resigned eye roll. "It's fine. Actually, I appreciate how much you guys care for Jan Di."

"We really are happy for you and Geum Jan Di, Ji Hoo-yah…"

"Gomawo," Ji Hoo replied.

"So, you will take responsibility for Geum Jan Di, then?" Woo Bin asked, grinning.

"Of course I will. Like I said, I love her..."

F2 smiled and began playfully roughhousing with Ji Hoo.

But something was still bothering Yi Jeong...


An hour later…

The group was hanging out by the lagoon. Jan Di was out swimming, while Jun Pyo and Ji Hoo napped in beach chairs.

Ga Eul sat down on a chair and began to apply sunscreen to her exposed skin; she struggled with a hard to reach spot.

"Do you need me to apply that for you?" Yi Jeong appeared from out of nowhere. And he sat down beside her, grinning.

"No, thank you," Ga Eul replied haughtily. Yi Jeong shot her an amused smile—he wasn't used to women turning down such an offer from him… He simply shrugged his shoulders and walked off.

Ga Eul glanced back at Woo Bin, who was applying lotion to Molly. Woo Bin grinned over at Ga Eul. "Ahh, my baby has the softest skin, just like a baby's…," he commented, as he smoothed lotion in circular motions across the young woman's back.

Ga Eul's nose wrinkled in disgust and she made a gagging motion. "Gross… What the heck?"

She stood and walked toward the water, scanning for Jan Di. She hadn't seen her for a few minutes. "Jan Di-yah…," Ga Eul called out, as she approached the water's edge. "Jan Di-yah, where are you? This isn't funny…come out now…," she continued calling for her best friend.

Ga Eul's eyes wandered the turquoise water, until she noticed frantic splashing a few meters out. "Jan Di-yah!" Ga Eul shouted out to Jan Di, who was hunched over and bobbing up and down just above and below the surface of the water.

Ga Eul frantically called Jan Di's name and plead for someone's help. Jun Pyo rushed to Ga Eul's side first. "What's wrong?!"

"Something is wrong with Jan Di!" Ga Eul exclaimed, panic lacing her words.

Jun Pyo decisively took two steps into the water and then stood there, frozen. Though he desperately wanted to move, Jun Pyo could not bring himself to do so…


Seconds later, Ji Hoo rushed out into the water and quickly swam out to Jan Di. Ga Eul watched—terrified and clasping her hands together—praying that her best friend would be alright.

Jun Pyo's brow furrowed. He once again attempted to lift a leg, but it wasn't budging, as if he was stuck in a deep, thick mud. So, he stood there rooted to the spot…

Ji Hoo reached Jan Di and protectively encircled her waist with his arms. He held her head above water, as he backstroked with her to shore. Once on land, Ji Hoo picked the unconscious Jan Di up and carried her in his arms. Yi Jeong and Woo Bin rushed to Ji Hoo's aid and together they laid Jan Di down upon a towel on her side.

"Jan Di-yah, Jan Di-yah, wake up, please!" Ga Eul begged and clapped Jan Di on the back a few times.

"Please move," Ji Hoo urged Ga Eul when Jan Di did not respond. He placed Jan Di on her back and tilted her chin. He called her name. When she did not respond, he placed his mouth over hers and began CPR.

"Jan Di-yah, come on, please don't do this!" Ji Hoo implored of her pasty, lifeless form, as he began a second iteration of CPR. He felt a hard knot in his stomach and a dull, painful ache in his own chest, as he pumped hers repeatedly, muttering quiet, desperate pleas for her to breathe again.

Ji Hoo was becoming more and more desperate with each second that passed, and he felt hot tears welling up at the corners of his eyes. He placed his mouth over hers once more…

After one last strong breath, Jan Di's lungs filled with Ji Hoo's air. Her chest rose and fell and she immediately began choking. Ji Hoo allowed her to roll over slightly, as she sputtered and coughed up a mouthful of sea water.

Ji Hoo swallowed the lump in his throat and shut his eyes tight in silent gratitude. Yi Jeong and Woo Bin each gave him a pat on the back.

"Jan Di-yah!" Ga Eul called out her name, equally relieved. She wiped away a few tears that had trickled down her face and went to Jan Di's side, placing a hand upon her arm and rubbing lightly. Jan Di blinked a few times and looked between Ga Eul, Ji Hoo, and the others.

"Jan Di-yah, are you alright?" Ji Hoo cradled Jan Di's head—his chest was still rising and falling heavily—as the adrenaline coursing through his body began to subside. She blinked up at him a few more times and slowly nodded.

"Oh, Jan Di-yah…don't you ever do that to me again!" Ji Hoo exclaimed, and—giving in to his emotions—he took her still limp body fully into his arms. Ji Hoo embraced her—firm yet gentle—and held her protectively against his chest. He needed to feel that she was breathing and still there with him…

"…Mianhae, Sunbae…," Jan Di mumbled hoarsely, as he held her and she rested her chin against his shoulder. It was then that Jan Di noticed Jun Pyo over Ji Hoo's shoulder. He was walking away from the rest of the group and was already halfway down the beach.

Ji Hoo slowly released Jan Di, and he helped her to sit up completely. Ji Hoo leaned in. "Are you alright?"

She nodded.

Then, Ji Hoo placed a hand on each side of Jan Di's face. "Can I never take my eyes off you? I don't think I will never be able to close them again…," Ji Hoo looked deep into her mahogany eyes.

"Mianhae, Sunbae…," Jan Di repeated, as she stared back at him, doe-eyed.

Ji Hoo sighed. "Well, I suppose I cannot let you swim alone… Am I now your firefighter and your lifeguard?"

Jan Di smiled faintly, and—still cupping her face—Ji Hoo pressed a grateful kiss to her forehead.


Meanwhile, Jun Pyo wandered down the beach alone. The incident had brought a horrific childhood memory flooding back to him, yet the part that was far worse for Jun Pyo was that he had failed to take action… Jan Di could have drowned, and he had to watch another man save her…

When Jun Pyo saw Jan Di there in the water—helplessly flailing about—he felt frustrated, weak, inadequate…all things that Gu Jun Pyo could never allow himself to be…

And then, he was forced to watch Ji Hoo carrying her limp body—that had gone completely white—from the water… Ji Hoo had lain her down upon the sand and pressed his hands against her chest… And then, he'd placed his lips upon her bluish ones… It was almost too much for Jun Pyo to take…

But in the moment, that had been the least of Jun Pyo's concerns. He'd felt as if he was slowly, torturously unraveling inside. And he watched the scene from a distance. Jun Pyo felt his heart stop briefly when Jan Di failed to respond, and Ji Hoo's panic mirrored Jun Pyo's own. Jun Pyo's heart started up again only when he saw Jan Di spit up water.

And Jun Pyo had felt immediate and intense relief

But that relief was immediately overshadowed by another unpleasant, tight feeling in his chest. It was jealousy…wasn't it? And he'd felt it before, but it had only gotten stronger and more unbearable lately…

Watching Ji Hoo with Jan Di—carrying her from the water, pressing his lips to hers, and then cradling her head, as he embraced her lovingly and expressed how relieved he was that she was OK—it was simply too much…

Was there nothing he could do for her? Was there no place for him…?

And Jun Pyo realized something that he'd been trying to deny for a while now… But it was useless to even think about… It could never happen… And he could never tell her… He could never do that to his best friend, his brother


Once he was sure she was alright to get up, Ji Hoo carefully escorted Jan Di to her room—followed closely by Ga Eul—so that she could change into dry clothing. When they arrived, it almost seemed as though Ji Hoo wanted to follow her inside. But she knew it wasn't for any indecent reasons; he was simply worried about her. He probably feared she would pass out or something.

Jan Di smiled tenderly up at him. "I'm fine, Sunbae," she said, as if reading his thoughts.

Ga Eul went inside with Jan Di instead, in case she did need anything, while Ji Hoo waited outside.


Ga Eul had been confused about what had happened. Jun Pyo had been the first to respond when Jan Di was in trouble, but he'd frozen in place… And then afterward, he'd walked off from everyone without a word…

Jan Di was aware that Jun Pyo did not know how to swim. And she reminded Ga Eul of the incident at the school party for Seo Hyun. Jan Di recalled that night… She'd rescued Jun Pyo from the swimming pool after he'd fallen in. She'd performed CPR on him, only for him to open his eyes and pull her down in an attempt to kiss her. Jan Di shook her head at the thought. She had been outraged then, but now it was more of an amusing anecdote, a cute, funny memory to look back on…

But Jan Di did not know why Jun Pyo had never learned to swim. So, Yi Jeong and Woo Bin told the girls of a tragic experience Jun Pyo had when he was 8. They told them about how he had been kidnapped by a man who had been the Gu family's driver at the time…

"Unbelievable!" Jan Di and Ga Eul exclaimed, upon learning this information.

F2 further explained that the police had pursued the kidnapper, and—during the pursuit—the car had gone over a bridge into the river, with Jun Pyo inside. Ever since, Jun Pyo had been terrified of water, and he'd refused to set even a foot in it…


No one had seen Jun Pyo since the incident with Jan Di, but he'd sent F3 a message indicating the time and place to meet him. F3, Jan Di, and Ga Eul arrived on the beach at 8 PM to see a series of tables set up with a beautiful, elaborate dinner spread laid out upon them.

"Wow…," Woo Bin uttered.

"What's all this, Jun Pyo-ah?" Yi Jeong questioned, grinning.

Jun Pyo wore a broad smile. "I just thought I would prepare all you guys an extra special meal tonight."

Yi Jeong, Woo Bin, and Ji Hoo looked between each other curiously—this behavior was so unlike Jun Pyo… They shrugged it off, deciding not to question but rather simply enjoy their good fortune.

Yi Jeong and Woo Bin took a seat at a round table in the middle, lined with a white linen table cloth. Ji Hoo beckoned Ga Eul to go on ahead, and then he placed a hand upon the small of Jan Di's back, as he ushered her to the table. Ji Hoo pulled out a chair for Ga Eul, which she sat in, and then he pulled one out for Jan Di. But before Jan Di could sit, Jun Pyo grasped onto her wrist.

"Ya! What are you doing, Gu Jun Pyo?!" she exclaimed—casting a helpless glance back to Ji Hoo—as Jun Pyo dragged her off to a separate table. Jan Di shot Jun Pyo a dirty look, as he forced her to sit down at a longer, rectangular table. Jan Di's brow wrinkled in confusion, but then her gaze settled upon the display before her, and her expression softened.

The table was overflowing with an array of delicious-looking foods—many of which Jan Di could not identify—and the incredible smells were tantalizing her taste buds, practically causing to water.

Ji Hoo remained standing behind the chair he'd pulled out for Jan Di; his brow furrowed, as he watched the interaction in stunned silence. Ga Eul looked up at Ji Hoo and then back to Jan Di and Jun Pyo. And Ji Hoo slowly slumped into the chair.

"Eat all of this," Jun Pyo commanded of Jan Di.

"Eh?! What, do you think I'm Godzilla or something?!" Jan Di protested.

"You need to build up your strength," he explained, "Who ever heard of a swimmer nearly drowning, anyway?!"

"I got a cramp!" Jan Di retorted. "That can happen to anyone…," she muttered.

Jun Pyo sighed heavily. "Cramp-shramp, I can't have someone associated with F4 being so weak…so, eat up!"

Jan Di scowled up at Jun Pyo. "Fine," she said. And Jun Pyo paused, staring at her expectantly, as if waiting for her to begin. So, Jan Di picked up the fork at the place setting. They exchanged an awkward glance before Jun Pyo walked off to join Yi Jeong and Woo Bin at their table.

Jan Di looked over at Ji Hoo. He was seated and staring down at his hands, which rested neatly in his lap. She sighed and turned back to the food in front of her.

And then Ji Hoo glanced over at Jan Di. She was currently staring out straight with a fork poised at her lips. Ji Hoo looked over at the next table, where Jun Pyo was seated with Yi Jeong and Woo Bin. Yi Jeong and Woo Bin had already dug into the dinner, but Jun Pyo was not eating; he was instead watching Jan Di…

Ji Hoo suddenly lost his appetite, so he quietly stood and walked off without a word.


Jan Di watched Ji Hoo walk away, and she grew worried. She wondered if something was troubling him… She wrestled with the decision to follow Ji Hoo, and her curiosity ultimately won out.

Jan Di walked across the bridge toward the rooms. The sun had gone down, and the twinkle of small lights along the bridge and in the doorways of their rooms illuminated her path.

Jan Di discovered Ji Hoo leaning against the railing outside of his room, the breeze blowing his light blue cotton shirt. And he was gazing upon the flower she'd seen him purchase at the market… She took a moment to admire how the moonlight accentuated his features, but then her concern for him returned. She considered going up to him and asking if something was wrong, but he seemed to be deep in thought… Not wishing to disturb him, she turned to head back. But then she heard his cell phone ring…

Jan Di could barely hear, but she caught the sound of him greeting Seo Hyun on the other end, and she watched a bright smile grace his features.

"You'll never guess where we are…," she heard him say. And then he gave a short laugh.

Jan Di's lips parted, as she watched Ji Hoo talking on the phone with his ex-girlfriend. He looked so happy talking with Seo Hyun, and Jan Di wondered if they had been talking regularly.

All of a sudden, Ji Hoo's head turned in Jan Di's direction. He saw her and smiled, holding up his hand in a stationary wave. Jan Di gave an awkward wave back and then quickly rushed off, feeling embarrassed at being caught eavesdropping. And she also had a knot forming in her stomach…


Jan Di clenched her eyes shut and walked away as quickly as she could. She scoffed at herself.

That must have looked really bad…

And there was absolutely no reason for her to be jealous, was there? After all, Ji Hoo could talk to an old friend if he wanted to—there was nothing wrong with that—even though she was an old friend who he used to be madly in love with…

And Jan Di was ashamed of herself. She refused to become one of those jealous girls who freaks out if their boyfriend even talks to another girl…

This is silly… Don't jump to conclusions, Geum Jan Di!


An hour later…

Jan Di had decided to take a walk to clear her head, and she was feeling much better now. Night had fallen completely, and she returned to where the group had been gathered for dinner, but no one was there. She found Ga Eul in her room, and the girls headed—arm-in-arm—down to the beach, where the guys were sitting under a cabana on a couch, surrounding by candles to light the area. Jun Pyo, Yi Jeong, Woo Bin, Molly, and Kristin were all gathered around looking at a magazine. Jan Di and Ga Eul approached them from behind.

As they approached, they heard the guys talking—and a somber cloud seemed to hover over the group…

"Do you think Ji Hoo saw this?" Yi Jeong asked.

"I don't know…maybe…he seemed a bit quiet tonight, didn't he?" Woo Bin added.

"Mm," Yi Jeong nodded. "He didn't even have dinner…"

"Aish! Why should he even care if Seo Hyun is getting married?! He's dating Geum Jan Di!" Jun Pyo interjected.

Jan Di stopped dead in her tracks, and Ga Eul looked at her curiously.

Seo Hyun is getting married…?

"That may be Jun Pyo, but it would be perfectly normal for Ji Hoo to feel a little weird about it. I mean, he was in love with Seo Hyun for so long… And she's certainly been a huge part of his life... She rescued him from his despair after his parents died; she was his first love… It doesn't mean that he doesn't care for Jan Di or that he's not happy with her…," Yi Jeong replied.

Jan Di felt her heart leap into .

The mention of Ji Hoo's former love—and the reminder of how much he had loved her and how much she had meant to him—hit Jan Di hard. Jan Di recalled Ji Hoo walking away at dinner and then receiving a call from Seo Hyun; she hadn't seen him since, and she suddenly worried that Ji Hoo was depressed over Seo Hyun…

"Where is Ji Hoo anyway?" Woo Bin asked, as if responding to Jan Di's innermost thoughts.

"I don't know. He left without even touching his dinner…and I haven't seen him since…," Yi Jeong explained.

Jun Pyo scoffed. "Well, if you ask me, he needs to just get over it and stop moping around! He's acting like a huge jerk!"

Yi Jeong and Woo Bin exchanged a glance. Jun Pyo had certainly had a lot of animosity toward Ji Hoo lately. They had hoped that the vacation would be relaxing for all of them, but now it seemed to be having the opposite impact…


Jan Di decided to finally let their presence be known, and she made a sound in . The group all turned in unison.

"Oh, Jan Di-yah… Ga Eul-yang…, we didn't see you there," Yi Jeong greeted rather awkwardly.

"What are you looking at?" Jan Di asked somberly.

"Oh, nothing important," Yi Jeong replied.

"Just a stupid tabloid…," Woo Bin added.

"May I see it?" Jan Di asked. Yi Jeong nodded and handed it over to Jan Di.

Jan Di scanned through the article—which was littered with photos of Seo Hyun and a handsome European politician—while Ga Eul looked on beside her. Once she'd finished, Jan Di simply handed the article back to Yi Jeong and wordlessly turned to leave. Ga Eul followed, jogging to keep up with Jan Di's accelerated pace. "Jan Di-yah, wait up!" Ga Eul called after her, and she quickened her pace. Once reaching Jan Di's side again, Ga Eul turned to Jan Di, while keeping stride with her.

"Jan Di-yah—" Ga Eul began.

"Do you think…Ji Hoo saw that article and is upset about it?" Jan Di blurted out.

Ga Eul tightened . "I don't know, Jan Di-yah…but I'm sure it doesn't really mean anything even if he is… I can tell how much Ji Hoo Sunbae cares about you…"

Jan Di nodded. Yes, Ji Hoo cares about me…And he said he loved me… But will I always be second place to Seo Hyun? Will she always be his one true love?

Having such thoughts made Jan Di feel absolutely terrible…

Jan Di had told herself when everything began with Ji Hoo that she could accept how strongly he'd felt for Seo Hyun and all that she'd meant in his life. And even if she never lived up to Seo Hyun in Ji Hoo's eyes, Jan Di was OK with that, so long as she could be near him…

Sensing her best friend's distress, "If it's bothering you, maybe you should talk to him about it," Ga Eul suggested. "Maybe it's just a misunderstanding…"

Jan Di nodded, but if he wasn't aware of the article, she didn't want to be the one to break the news to him. Surely he was aware—after all, he'd just spoken with Seo Hyun that day… And it could have just been a false report… But what if it was true… Perhaps Seo Hyun had told him the news and now he was feeling down about it, maybe even regretful for letting her go… And Jan Di didn't want to make him feel worse. But she decided that she at least needed to check on him… If he was feeling depressed, she needed to at least try and comfort him somehow…

"You're right. I should talk to him. I'm going to go find him, Ga Eul," Jan Di informed, once they'd reached their rooms.


Ji Hoo sat on the sailboat he and Jan Di had fished upon. He sighed as he gazed down upon the flower he had bought at the market and thought back upon today…

Ji Hoo's head was swirling. This day had been a rollercoaster of emotions for Ji Hoo. First, he'd taken Jan Di out with the plan of giving her an amazing day. But he had to admit that part of his motivation was that he also wanted to feel good—on this day, in particular. And it had worked well, for the most part. He and Jan Di had a wonderful time together.

But then, there was the beach incident…he'd nearly lost Jan Di today—and the thought of losing another person he loved was entirely too much for Ji Hoo to bear…

What was more, there was Jun Pyo… He couldn't believe how Jun Pyo had just snatched Jan Di away from him at dinner… But this was Jun Pyo, after all… And Ji Hoo suspected that the whole purpose of the extravagant meal had been to impress Jan Di, in the first place... And then Jun Pyo had expressed such concern for Jan Di's well-being, demanding that she eat all the food before her…

Not to mention Jun Pyo's behavior at the volleyball game… The nagging suspicion he'd had for months had only continued to grow, like a wild vine. And it was now quite clear to Ji Hoo that he had a very real problem on his hands...

"What should I do…?" he asked of the sky. And he sighed. "I guess I need to talk to him…"


Jan Di continued to search the area for Ji Hoo. She jogged across a bridge—growing increasingly concerned that he seemed to have disappeared altogether—and then she finally caught sight of him sitting upon the docked sailboat on the beach. Jan Di stood on the bridge for a moment. He was staring down at something in his hands, but then he looked up and their eyes locked from across the way.

Jan Di went to Ji Hoo and sat down next to him. He set down the flower pot he was holding, glanced at her, and then turned his eyes back to the still water. Jan Di wracked her brain for what to say and how to even begin…

Ji Hoo was silent for a moment, but then he spoke first. "Are you enjoying yourself here, Jan Di-yah?" he asked, still looking out across the darkened sea. His question seemed sincere, yet almost…sad… And it hadn't been what she expected him to say.

"Yes," she replied simply.

"Good." He paused. "You know, I came here a few times with Seo Hyun…" It seemed a good way to lead into the phone conversation he was certain Jan Di had caught a portion of…

Jan Di felt her stomach do a small flip at the sound of Seo Hyun's name again.

"She liked it here; she always said it was similar to Nice…," Ji Hoo continued, wearing the hint of a smile. And Jan Di mustered the best one that she could.

Perhaps talking with Seo Hyun that day had stirred up old feelings for him—and Jan Di really wanted to know what they had talked about, but she didn't want to pry… Or perhaps everything in the article was true and he was suddenly feeling nostalgic, or perhaps even...regretful… Jan Di imagined this place must be full of memories of Seo Hyun for him…

Is it painful for him to remember…, Jan Di wondered.

Beside him, Jan Di stared out across the black water—black as the abyss suddenly forming within her heart—and deliberated on how best to respond to his musings.

Unable to fight her curiosity—and tense with anxiety—she finally asked, "Have you…spoken with Seo Hyun Unnie recently…?" She would confirm it.

"Yes," he said, without skipping a beat. "That was her tonight, actually," he turned to look at Jan Di, but she kept her eyes focused upon the sea. Ji Hoo studied her for a moment. "…It was the first time we've spoken since Paris, though," he added, as if sensing her insecurity. And he felt he should clarify that; he didn't want her to think he was keeping secrets from her.

Jan Di nodded; she turned briefly back to him and forced a smile. "Is she doing well?" And Jan Di truly hoped that she was…

Ji Hoo smiled. "Yes, she seems happy. She loves her career, and she's dating someone now…"

"Oh," Jan Di worked to temper her response. So, he was aware of at least that much…

"The guy she's with...he's a man who…really suits her, I think...," Ji Hoo said. "Certainly a better match for her than I ever was…"

"That can't possibly be true…," Jan Di muttered, looking down. Ji Hoo smiled affectionately over at Jan Di, but she didn't look at him.

"He's actually…royalty…," Ji Hoo emitted a short laugh, "Your prediction may come true, after all, Jan Di-yah… Perhaps you should be a fortune teller," he teased.

Jan Di inwardly groaned. So, he remembers that... Of course he does… But she'd rather hoped he'd forgotten…

Ji Hoo paused and then gave a lighthearted scoff. "And I thought I knew her well—I've known Seo Hyun for 15 years—but I think you knew her even better than me all along… Isn't that funny, Geum Jan Di?"

Jan Di was suddenly—inexplicably—at a loss for words. She plastered on a smile again and gave a nervous chuckle. "Oh, wow… That's really…um…," she stammered and glanced at Ji Hoo out of the corner of her eye, attempting to gauge what he was feeling about the news he'd just shared with her, but he was a complete puzzle.

And Jan Di wondered if Ji Hoo was merely attempting to hide his malcontent through a mask of humor. Perhaps he was even angry with her that her prediction was coming true… Jan Di hung her head slightly, avoiding eye contact.

"She asked about you," he spoke after a moment.

And Jan Di's guilt immediately returned to the forefront. Seo Hyun was always so sweet and thoughtful—she had done so much for Jan Di—and here she was getting jealous over her for no good reason at all…

Jan Di turned and smiled faintly at Ji Hoo. "That was nice of her to ask. I will always be grateful to Seo Hyun Unnie…"

Ji Hoo smiled back at her. "Me, too."

Jan Di turned away again. And they sat there together—silent for a moment—listening to the sound of the rhythmic waves gently tickling the shore, raking the sand with tiny fingers, as they moved in and out, in and out…


When Jan Di worked up the courage to look at Ji Hoo again, she noticed that he had returned to gazing out across the gently rolling waves, as if lost in thought. And she suddenly wished she could read his mind, as he always seemed able to read hers with ease…

"So, I'm…sorry that I disappeared on you tonight, Jan Di-yah," he finally spoke. "I suppose I owe you an apology and an explanation for my behavior… There were…some things on my mind, and I just needed some time to think…and to clear my head a bit…"

Jan Di wondered what it was that was troubling him—and she considered asking—though, she was fairly certain she knew what it was, particularly after the conversation they had just had…

Jan Di shook her head. "No, it's OK. You don't need to apologize or explain, Sunbae. I understand."

"You do?" and the surprise was evident in his tone.

"Yes," she nodded, glancing away once more. Jan Di took a deep breath, and not knowing what else to say, she asked, "Is there anything I can do to help?"

And she truly meant it. Jan Di wanted nothing more than to make Ji Hoo happy—even if that meant letting him go—and it was killing her to see him this way… Perhaps she had her own emergency bell; for, she could feel it inside that something was wrong…

"You're wonderful, Otter, you know that?" he smiled at her. Then, he tightened his mouth and shook his head. "But no, gomawo, it's just something I need to figure out how to handle. You needn't worry yourself, Jan Di-yah."

Jan Di's brow furrowed, despite his reassurance, and she blinked a few times—utterly perplexed.

Ji Hoo always loved that little wrinkle she got above her nose when she was confused or concerned about something—though at the same time, he hated when she worried…


All of a sudden, Ji Hoo pulled out the flower that had been nestled beside him. "Do you know the meaning of this flower, Jan Di?" he asked, as he gazed upon it for a moment. He looked to Jan Di. Her eyes darted back and forth.

"It's guaranteed to bring eternal happiness to whoever has it…," he explained when she did not answer right away.

Jan Di nodded in understanding. "So that's why you only give it to your true love…"

"So, you do know of it...," he smiled, impressed.

"Yes, I heard about it yesterday at the market."

Ji Hoo nodded. "Here…," and he presented her with the white-blossomed flower.

Jan Di's lips parted. "This is…for me?"

"Of course, Otter."

"Are you…sure you want to give this to me?"

Ji Hoo gave a short laugh. "Who else would I give it to?" he asked, as if the question was utterly ridiculous.

"Um, well, I don't know…," Jan Di stammered.

Ji Hoo sighed and set the flower down beside him, feeling rather hurt that she didn't outright take it. Did she no longer want to accept his heart…?

"Jan Di-yah, is something wrong?" he placed a hand on her arm.

"No, nothing," she replied immediately, staring down at her feet.

But Jan Di's mind had begun to run away with her, and a string of confusing thoughts were winding and tangling within her, like a ball of yarn.

"It's…getting late. I'll be going now… You should go in soon, too, Sunbae, so you don't catch cold…"

Jan Di turned to leave, but she didn't make it far, for she felt Ji Hoo suddenly catch her by the arm and spin her around, pulling her into a tight embrace. He wrapped one arm around her shoulders and the other encircled her waist. Jan Di's lips parted and she remained frozen for a moment, shocked at how quickly they had gone from not touching to flush against one another, her body pressed tight against his, as a lid to its container.

"Don't go yet. I'm cold…," he whispered against her ear, "It's almost too cold to bear...," and he pulled her even closer, as he buried his face in the crook of her neck.

Jan Di shut her eyes tight and surrendered to his embrace… She clutched onto his arm—that was wrapped around her—and rested her chin against his solid shoulder. She took in his familiar scent, as it engulfed her—a wonderful scent that belonged to him alone—and simply enjoyed the warmth that his body exuded, despite how cold he seemed to be on the inside…

Ji Hoo always had a way of holding her that was strong, yet gentle and emanated comfort and a silent strength. But the way he was holding her now—much tighter than usual, almost clinging—was much different.

For a moment, neither of them said a word, but simply remained that way. And then Ji Hoo spoke softly. "…Some things in life are so precious, Jan Di-yah…that you want to hang onto them tight and never let go…"

He held on even tighter and with a shaky breath continued, "I've lost a lot in my life, Jan Di-yah, my parents, my grandfather…I… I don't want to lose…anything else… I can't…"

He hadn't want to burden her, but somehow the words came pouring out of him as through a spigot.


Ji Hoo speaking of his losses was crushing Jan Di's heart into a fine powder, and she wished she could somehow make everything all better… But she felt completely helpless—all she could do was hold onto him tighter. And a tear ran down her cheek and dripped onto Ji Hoo's shoulder.

What is he worried about losing now? She wondered, Seo Hyun perhaps…

Ji Hoo pulled back and gazed upon Jan Di. "After my parents died and my grandfather left—," Ji Hoo began.

Left?

"I was sure I would be completely alone… But then Seo Hyun came along... She took my hand and helped me to start over… And then I met Yi Jeong, Woo Bin, and Jun Pyo; I've been friends with Jun Pyo and the others for 15 years, you know…"

Jan Di simply listened.

"I don't want to be selfish, but I just want to be happy… Is that so wrong? I told myself long ago that I could live life without needing anyone, but I've gotten greedy, Jan Di-yah…"

Before she could even think of how to respond to that, he pulled her back into an embrace.

As Ji Hoo held Jan Di tight against him, she was experiencing a deluge of emotions. Usually being in his embrace was heavenly—and her heart did skip a beat when he suddenly pulled her in—but thinking about what he'd said…and of the notion that he could merely be hugging her for comfort—over another woman for that matter—was too much to bear…

Her tears began to well and threatened to break free; she blinked them quickly away.

Ji Hoo finally pulled back, and he was gazing upon her with some type of yearning…or perhaps sadness…? His eyes settled upon her lips, and he placed a tender hand upon her cheek, the soft skin below her jaw lightly with his thumb.

And then he began to slowly lean in toward her… Jan Di's heart gave a thump, and she felt herself go weak in the knees at the way he was looking at her. But did he truly want to kiss her now, or was he just attempting to cope with his broken heart…?

Before his lips could touch hers, Jan Di in a breath and pulled away. Ji Hoo looked at her in confusion.

"I'm sorry, Sunbae, but it's…getting late…and I um…just remembered something that I need to do! G-goodnight, Sunbae! I'll see you tomorrow!" she exclaimed half-heartedly.

Before Ji Hoo could say anything, she took off running. His brow wrinkled with concern, as he watched her go…


Jan Di ran faster and faster away from him—as fast as her legs could carry her across the sand. But she felt heavy, burdened—like she was barely moving—as if the sand was not mere sand but quicksand that she was sinking into… Just like her heart had done…

Once Jan Di returned to her room, she saw Gu Jun Pyo there, waiting outside. When he saw her approach he strode up to her.

"Where were you?!" Jun Pyo demanded.

Jan Di scowled at him. "Nowhere…none of your business, Gu Jun Pyo!" Jan Di wasn't sure why she was always so combative with Jun Pyo. Somehow he brought it out in her.

"You shouldn't go off alone! I was worried!"

"You were…worried...about me, Gu Jun Pyo?" Jan Di stared at Jun Pyo wide-eyed.

Jun Pyo turned away. "Well, I…I wasn't really worried! I just thought that you might fall into the water again or get bitten by a snake or something…you're always getting into trouble!" he muttered, avoiding eye contact with her.

The faintest of smiles crossed Jan Di's lips. She prepared to give a retort but thought better of it, and instead, replied, "Mianhae, Gu Jun Pyo… Mianhae for making you worry."

Jun Pyo exhaled sharply and leaned heavily against the bridge railing, taking out his frustration upon the wooden beam. He turned back to her. "Just…don't go off by yourself, arasso? And don't swim alone, either," he ordered her.

Jan Di nodded. "OK. But, I wasn't exactly alone...," she said, recalling her meeting with Ji Hoo. And she felt the butterflies return to their home in her stomach.

"Oh. Right…," Jun Pyo said.

"Did you need something, Gu Jun Pyo?"

"No. Nothing," he replied shortly, "Goodnight," and with that, he was gone.


The Next Day…

Yi Jeong, Woo Bin, and Jun Pyo went together to the breakfast buffet. Ji Hoo, Jan Di, and Ga Eul had not yet arrived.

F3 sat down together.

"Oh no…I just thought of something…," Yi Jeong clutched at his head, squeezing his eyes shut and shaking head back and forth.

"What is it, Yi Jeong-ah?" Woo Bin asked, all of a sudden quite concerned.

"I just remembered that yesterday was the anniversary of the death of Ji Hoo's parents…"

Woo Bin hung his head. "Oh man…," he groaned. "I forgot, too!"

Jun Pyo tightened his jaw. "Aish… Yea, I guess that's why he was so bummed out yesterday…"

F2 nodded.

"We're idiots…," Yi Jeong muttered, feeling guilty for not being there for his brother on such a day.

"Well, it's not like he would want to talk about it…," Jun Pyo muttered.

"Yeah, but we could have been a bit more…sensitive to him…," Yi Jeong said.

"He wouldn't want us to cuddle him…," Jun Pyo replied.

"Um, cuddle, Jun Pyo?" Woo Bin snickered.

"Don't you mean coddle…?" Yi Jeong corrected.

"Aish, that's what I said!"

Woo Bin folded his arms across his chest. "Yeah, Ji Hoo's my bro and all, but I'm not going to cuddle with him…," he said, grinning. And Yi Jeong burst out laughing.

"Yea, we'll leave that to Jan Di," Woo Bin smirked, and Yi Jeong chuckled.

Jun Pyo glared at the two of them. "Ya!" and he suddenly lunged across the table at them. They both quickly maneuvered out of the way, laughing raucously.

After a moment, the group grew serious again.

"But, what should we do about it?" Woo Bin asked of the other two.

"Do about what?" Ji Hoo came up to the table with a tray of breakfast.

F3's eyes shot to Ji Hoo, as he took a seat across from Jun Pyo. He was so quiet and stealthy that they hadn't noticed him approaching.

"Nothing, Ji Hoo-yah," Yi Jeong responded immediately, and Yi Jeong and Woo Bin began asking Ji Hoo how he'd slept and in general being overly nice to him. Jun Pyo was even being rather jovial for him.

"You guys are being weirder than usual…," Ji Hoo muttered before taking a bite of his food. They laughed.

Ji Hoo took another bite, and F3 observed him.

"I know why you guys are being like this, and you don't need to. I'm fine," Ji Hoo said, and he took a sip of his tea.

F3 continued to stare at him, as if they didn't believe that.

"Really," Ji Hoo assured, setting the porcelain cup down. "I had a nice day with Jan Di yesterday, and Seo Hyun even called to check in on me."

"Oh really?" Yi Jeong asked.

Ji Hoo nodded.

"That was nice of her," Woo Bin added.

"Yes, so no need to worry. I'm fine," Ji Hoo said, putting on a smile.

Jun Pyo suddenly felt defensive, and he prepared to demand to know why Ji Hoo was talking to his ex-girlfriend, but he thought better of it and controlled himself; after all, Ji Hoo was having a hard time…

Jan Di and Ga Eul arrived a few moments later, and F4 greeted them. Ji Hoo gave Jan Di a warm greeting, and she awkwardly greeted back.

...


After breakfast, the group spent the day together enjoying more of what the island had to offer. But Ji Hoo still seemed a bit quiet to Jan Di, and she was still reeling from the night before…

...

That evening…

The sun was just setting—casting a brilliant fusion of orange, pink, and purple hues upon the horizon. Jan Di was packing up in her room, since they were leaving the following day.

Afterward, she checked in with Ga Eul; but she wasn't finished yet, so Jan Di decided to head to Ji Hoo's room. She felt as though they needed to clear things up after last night...

When Jan Di arrived, she prepared to knock but noticed that the door was partially open. Yi Jeong, Woo Bin, and Ji Hoo sat together on the couch in the common area, talking. Jan Di knew she shouldn't, but she held back, listening for a moment…


"Ji Hoo-yah…," Yi Jeong began, "…I…really didn't want to be the bearer of this, but I thought you should know… There have been some rumors going around about Min Seo Hyun and a nobleman from Europe...," and Yi Jeong reluctantly handed over the magazine.

Ji Hoo took a brief glance at it. "Yes, I know all about it. She told me."

"Oh," Yi Jeong and Woo Bin looked between each other, seeming truly concerned. "And how are you?"

"I'm fine. Why wouldn't I be?" he said, emotionless, crossing one leg over the other.

Yi Jeong and Woo Bin studied Ji Hoo. And then F2 nodded. "Well, we're glad to hear that, Ji Hoo-yah…," Woo Bin said. "And we know that you're with Jan Di and you're happy…," Yi Jeong interjected, "But we also know what Seo Hyun has meant to you…"

Woo Bin nodded.

"And we could understand if you were a bit upset about it or felt strangely… It would be understandable if you felt that way…," Yi Jeong said.

Ji Hoo released a slow exhale. "Well, I can't say that I felt nothing when I heard about it… I was a bit surprised, I suppose… And I'll always love Seo Hyun…"


Jan Di in a strained breath; she felt as though the wind had suddenly been knocked out of her. She turned—in shock—unable to hear another word. And she immediately began walking off—increasing her pace with each step…

Jan Di's entire body was shaking; her chest ached badly, and stinging tears began to well at the corners of her eyes.

Ji Hoo said that he would always love Seo Hyun…

His confession had only confirmed her suspicion from the previous night—that Ji Hoo was not over Seo Hyun at all, and perhaps, never would be…

Jan Di felt as though she had been so blind not to see it! Ji Hoo still loves Seo Hyun! He had always loved her, and he always would…, she thought desolately. Of course he would always love Seo Hyun... How could he not? She is his true love…

What was I thinking?! I've been such a fool! Jan Di lamented, as she rushed off, seeking to get as far away as she could—as quickly as she could…

From the beginning, the idea of dating Yoon Ji Hoo had been a dream to Jan Di—a dream that had miraculously become reality. But dreams always came to an end, didn't they? Had the time now come for Jan Di to wake up from the most beautiful fantasy she'd ever known?

"No!" she shook her head back and forth rapidly—refusing to give in the overwhelming notion that it could all be coming to an end…

And she took off running, as fast as she could… She didn't know where she was running to but just that she needed to escape—escape from the horrible fear that she might be losing the first man she had ever loved—a man who had become so important to her that the idea of not being with him made her feel like she was dying a bit on the inside… But there was no physical escape from it, was there?

Jan Di's current emotional state—combined with her typical clumsiness—caused her to fall and skin her knee upon a tiny sliver of sea glass that had washed up onshore, but she didn't care. She simply got up and continued running, with no clear direction or destination in mind…


Suddenly, someone or something—more like a shadow—was before her blocking her path, and she practically collided with it. Jan Di stopped only when she felt hands gripping onto her forearms and holding her back from moving forward.

"Gu…Jun…Pyo…," she panted, once recognizing the human hurdle before her.

"Geum Jan Di, what's wrong?" he demanded, as he looked upon her tear-stained face.

"Nothing…," she replied automatically—the word was dead upon her lips.

A tear trickled down each side of her cheeks, all the way down her neck. In one careless motion, she wiped them and wriggled free, preparing to rush past Jun Pyo. But he caught her by the crook of the arm.

"Let me go, Gu Jun Pyo!" Jan Di shouted, wrenching her arm from his grasp.

"No," he moved to stand before her, placing his hands firmly upon her shoulders and once again blocking her path of escape.

"What's wrong?!" Jun Pyo insisted.

"I don't want to talk about it…," Jan Di muttered, looking away and doing her best to dam up the tears that were threatening to gush once more.

Jun Pyo released a sharp exhale. And then suddenly he turned her face back and lifted her chin with a finger. His touch was almost…gentle… And Jan Di was floored. Her brow wrinkled, and she stared up at him in utter disbelief.

"What's wrong?" he asked again—softer this time—as he held her chin captive between his thumb and forefinger.

Jun Pyo stared down into her dark, empty eyes, and Jan Di's chin quivered within his grasp…and she began to whimper.


Jan Di wanted to be strong; she needed to be strong! She and her family had been through so many hardships in her life. And they had always endured… Jan Di knew what it was like to struggle to make ends meet—to be required to work multiple jobs to support her family and put food on the table, to be threatened by landlords and loan sharks…

And through all of that she had always kept it together and remained strong… Her brother, Kang San, always said that she was the strong one—the leader—the one who held the family together in tough times… And here she was, falling apart completely—blubbering like a small child—over a guy and a soon-to-be broken relationship… What would San-ah think of her now? And it was silly, wasn't it? After all, weren't there far worse things in life than being dumped by your boyfriend…?

But Ji Hoo was not just some guy to Jan Di… He was special… He was her first boyfriend, her first love, and like no guy she had ever met before…

And she began to softly sob…

Jun Pyo swallowed hard; it made his heart ache… His hand dropped from her face to her shoulder again. He looked helplessly into her eyes. "Geum Jan Di! Please tell me what's wrong… Why…why are you crying?!"

Jan Di sniffled and shook her head. "Mianhae, Gu Jun Pyo… It's nothing, really," she mumbled, as she frantically attempted to regain her composure. She pulled back slightly, wiping the tears. It was embarrassing enough that Gu Jun Pyo was seeing her in such a state, but for him to be forced to comfort her, too…

Jan Di turned to leave again, but Jun Pyo held on and pulled her into a rough embrace. Jan Di stood ramrod stiff and allowed him to take her in his arms.

As Jun Pyo held her there, she let go of her carefully guarded emotions, and—with a sudden explosion of tears—freely wept into Jun Pyo's expensive shirt… While she cried—in a moment of pure weakness—Ji Hoo's name escaped her lips. Jun Pyo clenched his jaw and tightened his hold on Jan Di.

As Jun Pyo held Jan Di, he felt a surge of strange and conflicting emotions welling up within him. He felt a white-hot anger but also something else…

Ji HooWhat have you done...?! How could you hurt her?! I won't forgive you for this!

...

"What's going on?" the voice of Ji Hoo came from behind them, causing them to instantly repel from each other.

To Be Concluded…


A/N: Phew, that was a toughie, actually… I hope it all made sense and was not too melodramatic. And this was meant to be a bit…frustrating, with the misunderstandings and all… Gotta build up that tension, right? Haha. But I hope you all enjoyed. This arc (not the story) will be wrapped up next chapter.