2 am

The Game

2 am. 

Taehyung had forgotten how comfortable driving in a car is. He hasn’t slept for days. Just naps here and there, always on guard. 

This might be too comfortable. Way too comfortable. Taehyung is falling asleep. 

« Can you turn the heating system off ?

- Are you too hot ? »

No he’s not too hot. He’s actually really good. But that’s the problem. Taehyung is too good for his own safety. 

 

Kim Taehyung has finally accepted to follow Jungkook. He’s taking a risk. A big risk. A life threatening risk. 

But Taehyung also knows that he can’t continue alone. He’s too weak for that. He can hide, sure, but for how long ? The minute he will meet a player, it’ll be the end. 

His only solution is to team up. And Jungkook seems like the perfect player. Taehyung has checked the car. No weapons. That’s good. But that also means Jungkook must work with others. 

Taehyung knows it. In this game, or you’re a loner and you hide, like him, or you’re part of a team and you hunt. You can’t last long hiding. 

Jungkook has a car. Which means he is visible. He’s also strong. You don’t let him go alive if you cross him. 

But most importantly, Jungkook doesn’t seem scared. He walks with confidence, his head high, drives like he doesn’t care who’s watching, and all that without any weapon. 

So Jungkook must already be part of a team. 

Which is bad for Taehyung. 

So Taehyung can’t fall asleep. He can’t or he doesn’t know if he will ever wake up. 

« Just turn the heater off. » 

Jungkook does what he’s asked. It gets immediately colder. Taehyung takes off his jacket. Now that’s better. 

The cold hits his body like a wave, waking him up from his trans. Much better. 

« Are you sure you’re not cold ? Your hairs are rising on your arms.

- Just focus on the road, they can send us trouble anytime they feel like it. »

Jungkook looks around him. The road is dark and completely empty. 

The confident boy turns to the passenger. 

« They ? 

- What do you call them ? »

Taehyung points to the sky above them, followed by Jungkook’s stare. 

« Mmhh… stars ? 

- Not the fake ceiling, the people behind it! »

Taehyung stares at Jungkook, wondering what’s wrong with him. 

Jungkook looks once again at the sky. 

« Angels ? I have never met one in person though. 

- Of course not. No one has, they’re very discreet. You call them angels then ? That’s nice, very ironic. 

- What do you call them ? 

- I don’t have a special name. Just the Game Producers. But I call them ‘they’ most of the time. 

- The game producers… 

- Do you know their real name ? »

Jungkook turns once more to Taehyung. 

« Do you ? »

Taehyung nods softly, admitting something he didn’t want to be true.

« One’s name is Pat. He’s not one of the high ranked though. The highest ones have a blue line on their uniform. He visited me in my cell before it started.

- Pat… that tells me something. What did he tell you ?

- He told me I was special, and I had to trust them. But we all know what that means. 

- What does that mean ? 

- He didn’t visit you ? You said you knew him. 

- I said that reminding me of something. It must have been from someone else. 

- So you’ve met someone else ? »

Jungkook doesn’t answer, focusing on the road. Taehyung understands Jungkook has secrets. But he does too. In this game, you can’t reveal everything. 

« So what does that mean ? What Pat told you. 

- It means I won’t survive. It means I’m one of the weak. »

Jungkook stares at Taehyung. 

« You’re not weak. Special doesn’t mean weak. 

- I don’t think i’ll survive long. That’s why I accepted to team up with you. Because it’s just a matter of time, and I would like to have a little bit more time. 

- You will survive.

- Me surviving would mean you dying. »

Jungkook glances at his passenger again. 

« Are you sure about that ? » Jungkook smiles. 

Taehyung sighs. 

« You can sleep if you want. 

- Where are we going ? 

- It’s pretty far from here. It’ll take us about eight to nine hours. Just sleep it will seem shorter. 

- You didn’t answer my question. »

Jungkook grabs Taehyung’s hand out of the blue. 

« We’re going to a safe place. »

Taehyung feels Jungkook’s hand on his. 

It’s been three days he hasn’t had human contact. It’s warm. It brings colors to his cheeks. Taehyung doesn’t want Jungkook to let go.