Midnight

The Game

Midnight. 

The night is quite cold. 

Kim Taehyung opens the door which immediately produces the sound of a small bell from the one attached to it. 

The owner doesn’t even raise his head from the counter, too busy reading his manga, while announcing the phrase he knows by heart « Welcome dear customer, everything in here has a price and alcohol and cigarette will be exchanged at the sight of an identity card. » The fat and bearded owner turns a page, blowing in an already used tissue. 

Kim Taehyung steps in the empty convenience store. Quietly, carefully, he looks around for a minute, glancing at the owner who doesn’t seem to notice him. 

Kim Taehyung isn’t reassured. Precociously, he opens the cold fridge to grab a beverage. As he’s about to close it, his back towards the entry door, the sound of the bell rings again. 

« Welcome dear customer, everything in here has a price and… »

Kim Taehyung freezes. He closes the door, forgetting about the bottle. The boy hears footsteps hesitating all around the small store, then coming towards him. Taehyung closes his eyes a second. He can’t panic. This is not the time. 

Kim Taehyung opens his eyes. He turns around, ready to deal with whatever will happen. 

Right in front of him, a row of dried meat separating them, the other customer is looking at him. When their eyes meet, he drops his head, pretending to be focused on a certain brand of spicy beef. Taehyung gets nervous. But he can’t show it. 

The boy in front of him is pretty thin like him, about the same age, maybe younger maybe older. He has a simple t-shirt. No vest. But it’s midnight. Which means he must have a car. That’s not a good sign. 

Taehyung grabs a dry meat, taking advantage of the time to analyse the stranger. He seems muscular. His arms are all thin muscles. Taehyung’s chances get lower and lower. 

Our boy decides to act, as he fears he has already waited too long. 

Taehyung puts back the meat and heads towards the front door, his palms sweating. 

« Excuse me! » 

Taehyung freezes. The stranger has talked. Taehyung can’t just run away. He could have a weapon and Taehyung is too visible to avoid it. 

The frightened boy turns towards the stranger. This last one has a smile on his face. 

« Are you not buying anything ? »

Quick, quick, you need to get out of here…

« I forgot my money. » 

At the mention of money, the owner glances at them, before returning to his book. Taehyung would like to trust the owner, to ask him to help. But he can’t trust anyone. 

« If it’s about money I can buy it for you! And a drink too! You look thirsty and tired. » 

Three feet separate him from the other. 

Taehyung doesn’t know what to do. Yes he’s thirsty. And hungry. It must have been two days he hasn’t had a proper meal, wandering by foot, hiding. Getting into that convenience store was a high risk anyways, but he truly needs to eat or he’ll be done. 

Can he trust this guy ? Could he just be a stranger that wants to help ? 

The other boy grabs the meat Taehyung was looking at, the smile still on his face, and goes over the fridge. 

« What kind of drink do you want ? » That’s it, the boy has his back towards him. He would never have put his back towards him if he wanted to attack him. Taehyung tries to calm himself down. And he really needs this meat. 

« I’ll buy you water and a soda. You’ll chose ».

The boy turns back to him. 

« Are you part of the game ? » 

The other boy looks at him, a genuine surprised look on his face. He freezes for a moment, not knowing what to answer. 

« The game ? »

Could he just be a random customer ? 

The vibe of the empty night store doesn’t let him relax. And this boy he’s facing has something special. Like he’s here for a reason. 

« Whatever this game is, I’m not part of it. I’m just buying you the meat and the drinks ok ? »

Taehyung nods, still ready to run at the slightest movement from his possible opponent. The stranger goes to the counter, bringing back the owner to the real world. He keeps checking at Taehyung, behind him, an expression of gentle incomprehension on his face. 

The boy pays. 

There’s something weird. Taehyung can feel it. And then he notices it as they step out of the store. 

On the empty parking lot, with just the car that would belong to the owner and the one of the stranger, as he gives the products to Taehyung, Taehyung notices it. 

« You didn’t buy anything for yourself. »

The boy looks at him, a weird gaze on, like he was caught off guard and didn’t know what to answer. 

« I didn’t need anything Tae. »

Taehyung stares at him, pulling back, getting his fear back on. His heart tumbles. 

« How do you know my name ? »

The other boy glances at his car, like he was calculating the distance. 

His weapons must be in it. 

Can he make it to the forest before ? Can he run faster than the other ?

The stranger looks like a runner. Like a really good runner. 

« You are part of the game. »

The other boy stares at him, his eyes suddenly changing expression. 

« My name is Jeon Jungkook. And I am part of the game. »

Taehyung is ready to run. But he has to ask the question. 

« Are you here to kill me or team up ? »

Taehyung holds dearly the bag containing his products, like it could serve as a shield. 

The stranger smiles. 

« I want to be on your team. »

Taehyung doesn’t know what to do. 

« How can I know you won’t betray me ? » He whispers, fearing for his life, but tired to be alone. 

The stranger extends his hand, offering it to Taehyung. With his smile still on, he declares. 

 

« You can’t. »