The Story Begins

Heart and Seoul (A Twice Fanfic)

One year and seven months.

It's been roughly that amount of time since I arrived in Korea after I got hired as an English teacher for the SMOE (Seoul Metropolitan Office of Education) program.

It's a fun job, sure... but in the first few months, it isn't quite enough. Especially with my lifestyle.

You see, I live in a condo unit in Apgujeong-dong which is located in (you guessed it) the Gangnam District. Yes. THAT Gangnam. You wouldn't believe the ridiculous Psy references my friends back home made when I told them that I got a job here:

"WHOA. Gangnam? In Korea? Really?"
"That's freaking awesome, Jay."

"Specifically in Apgujeong, but yes, in Gangnam."

"Niiiiiiice. I never knew that Gangnam was your... style."
"I bet one day you're gonna go to work with a... hangover."

"........Barry, Wally. Look, I love you guys, but those puns were terrible as , yo."

"Aaaaaawww. We're just kidding around, man."
"Yeah, Jay. Chill out. Be a... *chuckles* gentleman."

" *sigh* Jesus Christ. I swear. If you guys pop out ONE more pun, I'll..."

"You'll what? Tell your.... DADDY?!?!?!"
"HAHAHAHAHAHAHA NICE ONE, WALLY! HIGH FIVE BOYYYY!"

"...You guys are ing s."

...See what I mean? Anyway, like I mentioned earlier, I live in Gangnam. Which is a VERY expensive place to be in. Especially in MY line of work. Luckily, on my 3rd month here, I took up another job as an English language radio jockey every Monday to Saturday, 2PM to 4PM in a station across the National Gugak Center in Seochosam-dong (which is located near the Seoul Arts Center). Being a radio jockey comes in really handy, especially because I'm a big fan of K-Pop. However, my show isn't focused on K-Pop, but the shows before and after mine are. So, since I come in early, I get to listen for a bit. Also, I usually stay behind for a few minutes after my shift is done, so I also get to listen to the show that comes after mine.

Okay, so just to give you a glimpse on what my usual daily routine has been for the past year or so, here it is:

From the school or from my condo unit in Apgujeong-dong to Seochosam-dong, it would take around 30 minutes to an hour, depending on which bus or subway train I take.

I usually take the shorter route (which involves getting on a train in Apgujeongnyeok to the Nambu Bus Station Terminal, and a bus from Nambu to the National Gugak Center), because every MWF, my teaching gig ends around 12, so I usually take my lunch at the Hyundai Department Store, KFC, or in one of the many Korean chicken restaurants (Koreans LOVE their chicken) near the Apgujeong subway station (or Apgujeongnyeok). On Tuesdays and Thursdays however, I occasionally take the longer "bus-only" route since my classes end at 11 AM. Besides, I like to pretend that I'm in a music video especially when my iPod Touch plays You Wouldn't Answer My Call by 2AM or Last Dance by Big Bang. It's the same with Saturdays since I don't have classes to teach.

After getting the radio job, it took about a month and a half for me to fully master the train-to-bus schedule.

Imagine how many times I got lost.

My knowledge of the Korean language is very limited. I can't read Hangul. Simple greetings and gestures, to the occasional, "molla" or "moreugesseo" is all I can usually muster.

Yes, it's a K-Pop/K-Drama lover's dream to live in Korea, but without subtitles, you're screwed.

Anyway, I've attempted to learn Korean, but in both of my workplaces, we're required to speak English as often as possible. Plus, I have the occasional tutoring thing with my next door neighbor where I also have to teach and speak in ENGLISH, then mix in the fact that most of my friends here are my co-jockeys from the station (Who are all foreigners by the way). So, I basically have no choice but to learn as much as I can, from scarce sources.

Also, you may think that because I live in the Gangnam area that I may have seen a lot of K-Pop stars.

Let me stop you riiiiiiiiight there.

The closest I've ever seen a Korean artist was the back of Park Chanyeol's head when he visited our campus (apparently he's an alumnus), and Lee Min Ho talking to a woman dressed as a beggar in the park around the corner of my building. Apparently they were shooting scenes for Pureun Badaeui Jeonseol or more commonly known to you guys as Legend of The Blue Sea.

I mean, sure, I live in the Gangnam district, and sure, I can take a minute bus ride to Cube or JYP Entertainment, or hail a cab so that I could go to SMEnt's Cheongdam office (which is a rock's throw away from FNC Entertainment btw), but I never really found the time.

*sigh*

No use crying over spilled milk, yeah?

If I keep thinking about that, I'll end up ruining my Saturday morning routine.

*sigh*

***********************************************************************

As I tap my T-money card on the sensor, I pull out my phone from my pocket and I check the time.

It's 11:29 AM. I guess I'm a bit early today. Good job, Jay. You deserve a pat on the back.

The turnstile beeps and spins as I walk forward, and I check my phone's screen again.

February 18, 2017
Saturday
Seoul -4°C

I slid the phone back in my pocket, and keep walking as I sip my warm white chocolate drink.

While I take a sip, I notice the sleek-ness of my new fitted black leather gloves.

It's February, so it's cold in Seoul. However, it's nearing the end of Winter.

I fix my black scarf and button up my slate gray pea coat.

I hasten my pace as the train to Nambu arrives.

The doors of the orange and white train hisses open, and I step in and sat on the nearest seat.

I put on my earphones as the train moves forward, and I get lost in the music.

It's been four days after my 2nd Valentine's Day in Korea and since I still have some chocolates given by my female students, I decided to pack it all in my black Superdry backpack and bring it to the station to give to everyone.

I look at the seat across me and an Ahjumma is looking at me intently like a vulture staring at a dying wildebeest in the savannas of Africa.

No, ma'am. I am not food for you to eat. And I'm Filipino. Just in case you're wondering why I'm brown-er than you are. STOP OBJECTIFYING MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Of course, I didn't say that. Aside from the fact that I can't speak Korean, I would simply sound... weird.

What annoys me though is that I've lived here for a while, and I've been riding this route for a year or so now, I should be used to this. But alas. You can never blend in a crowd when you were born to stand out.

Minutes pass and the train arrives in the Nambu Bus Station Terminal or Nambuteomineollyeok. I step out of the train and walk towards the bus.

Don't get confused though.

Like, you're probably thinking, "Didn't he say he was on a train? Why did he end up in a bus station?"

You see, Nambuteomineollyeok is both a bus station and a train station. It's very efficient especially if you're transferring from a train to a bus or vice versa.

This is what happens when taxes are spent properly and not squandered by politicians. Everything is well-planned and well-executed. The trains and buses leave and arrive on time.

In short:

The Seoul Metro got their together. Aja! Hwaiting!

I check the time as I step in the white and red Kia bus.

12:10 PM. Nice.

I tap my T-money card on the sensor and see my remaining balance.

₩87,300. Hmm... No need to reload for the rest of the week then.

I walk towards an empty seat and place my backpack beside me as the engine of the bus roared.

**********************************************************************

I arrived at the station around 12:23.

I walk through the automatic sliding doors of the entrance and throw the paper cup that was used for my warm drink in the garbage bin on the corner.

I take off my gloves as I move towards the waiting area. The doors of the broadcast studio opened and Richard (my boss) comes out with a big smile on his face. With his light brown hair (and blond highlights) parted in the middle, strong cheeks and jaw line, blue eyes, white polo shirt, and black topcoat, he reminds me of the look that Gong Yoo sported for Dokkaebi (if he was born as a white guy) For a guy who's pushing 40, he looks pretty good and... spiffy.

"JAY!" he calls out with his British accent as he jogs towards me and stops, "You're just the guy I'm looking for."

"Umm... Okay." I lower my head and face both my palms toward him, "Tadaaaaaah!"

He places his right hand on my left shoulder, "Listen, I need you to get ready for an interview."

I point a finger at myself, "I'm gonna be interviewed?" I tilt my head to the left, raise my eyebrow, and ask, "Am I getting a raise or a promotion?"

"Nice try. No, silly boy. You'll be conducting an interview."

"Hey, it was worth a shot" I said as I set my bag down on the couch to my left, "So when is this interview?"

"Well, you should start by 1 o'clock"

I check the time.

12:25 PM

"1 o'clock? But my shift starts at 2..."

"I know that. I need you to sign in early today."

"What about Damian? Isn't he supposed to be on air until 2 PM?"

"He is, but he had a medical emergency and had to be absent at the last minute. He had a bout of asthma and was advised by the doctor to rest for the day."

". That ." I adjust my collar, and clear my throat, "Okay then."

I turn to the right and walk towards the fingerprint sensor. I place my finger on it and it flashes my full name along with the date and time that I clocked in.

Fernandez, Jason Peter G.
Radio Jockey
12:25:51 PM, 
02/18/17
Saturday

I go back to the couch and pick up my backpack.

I walk towards the door of the broadcast studio when I remember something very important, "Oh hey, boss." I call Richard and I ask, "Who exactly am I interviewing?"

He looks at me, smirks, and without missing a beat he says:

"Twice. You'll be interviewing Twice."