Prologue

Heart and Seoul (A Twice Fanfic)

"MOM! MOOOOOOM!!!!"

I yell and almost trip as I run downstairs.

"MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!"

The bathroom door slams open and my mother comes out, wearing her usual home clothes, but with the additional medical face mask and goggles while holding a wet, green-bristled floor brush. Even with the goggles on, I can see the look of annoyance in her eyes, "Jason Peter Fernandez, what is so important that you would raise your voice at 8 o'clock on a Sunday morning?"

"Okay, okay mom" I take a deep breath and exhale as I prepare to deliver the news, "So, remember I told you that I had a Korean friend that offered me a teaching job in Seoul?"

"Yes, I do." She nods as she slowly takes off the mask and goggles.

"So, after I passed my TESOL certification last month, I decided to give it a shot. I sent my application, and all that. Last week, I had my SMOE interview. And this morning, they called me."

"They told you that you passed?"

"YES!" I jumped for joy and ran around the living room and then I stopped, "Wait, how'd you know that?"

"Well, you mean aside from the fact that I'm your mother?" She chuckled, "They called our landline earlier, and I told them you were sleeping. They asked me to tell you that, indeed, you passed."

She set the mask and goggles down beside her phone on the brown, corner table near the bathroom door, and placed the brush on the floor.

"I'm proud of you, Jay." she walks towards me and gives me a hug.

"Thanks, mom." a smile slowly forms on my lips as I hug her back.

Then my mom exhales and steps back, "I hope you don't mind, but I asked them a few questions about where you'll be staying." She turns around and picks up her phone from the corner table. She starts scrolling through it and without looking at me, she says, "They said that a Senior High School in..." she hesitates, "Ap...gu...jeong. Apgujeong?" she turns to me and I nod. Then she continues, "Well, they're specifically asking and vouching for you, so either they'll provide you housing or they give you a monthly lodging subsidy"

"Oh wow... umm... so, I'll have to find my own place if they can't give me one then."

"Something like that. Or you could listen to what I have to say."

I inhale, expecting some bad news or a lecture. Considering that's how my life usually goes, "Umm... yeah okay?"

"I called your uncle Chris and I told him about your new job." she stops scrolling and squints at the screen, "He sends his best wishes, and he says you're free to use his condo in the Gangnam area. The only thing you'll be paying is the electricity and water. The groceries too, and some other things if you want to personalize the condo."

"Wait..." I thought to myself, so it wasn't bad news. I step back, letting my mom's words sink in, "Mom, are you serious?"

"Yes." She smiles, obviously proud of herself and what she did for her son.

I stay silent, and I think to myself, this is it. This is everything I've always dreamed of.

I remain like that for a good ten seconds, then my mom snaps her fingers and I'm pulled out of my trance.

My mom laughs and says, "So, have you told Barry and Wally yet? How about your final papers? Hmm? Or do I have to do those too?"

"I'll do that! Don't worry, mom." I run towards the stairs and stop halfway.

I turn towards my mom, "Hey, mom?"

"Yes, Jay?"

I smile.

"Thank you."

"Of course," she says, "Now go and tell your friends before I do it for you. Your dad's gonna be home soon too, so hurry up."

"Okay, mom." I run upstairs, still feeling the euphoria from the blessings that I just received.

I open the door to my room and check the calendar on my wall; it's February 2015, and I can't believe it. I'm still turning 22 next month and I just got news that I'm gonna be working in Korea. I'm gonna be staying in my uncle's condo unit in Gangnam, so from what I know from K-Dramas and K-Pop, it's like.... the Beverly Hills or Bonifacio Global City of Korea. Well, at least I don't have to pay rent.

*sighs*

But enough of that. I have to get my final papers ready, and prepare for the greatest adventure that I'll ever face:

Starting a new life in the Land of the Morning Calm.

To follow my Heart and Seoul.