Young at Heart

Sentiments of a Grim Reaper

The boy who had once forgotten how to smile was now graduating at the top of his class at one of the most prestigious universities in Korea. He had been accepted into medical school in the United States and had plans of moving there within the upcoming months. He walked up to the podium with a grand smile and began his speech as valedictorian. The first and last person he thanked in his speech was the selfless woman who had always put kindness before herself. His voice broke during his last few words as he began to choke up with tears. A boy who had once never even dared to dream of becoming a mere ‘somebody’ was now going to finally spread his wings and fly.  

He spotted the woman in the crowd, sobbing into a handkerchief as she looked up at him. Her eyes glistened with emotion and pride. Her heart felt as if it were about to burst. She had grown attached to the child as time progressed, and before she knew it, he had become a part of her own family. She had been the mother figure in his life, and now a mother was seeing her son graduate.

--

They sat together outside on the balcony. Yoongi took another bite into his watermelon slice as he looked up at the sky. The night sky was a strikingly beautiful shade of deep blue. The mellow glow from the stars adumbrated the clouds that seemed to slowly cease their movement, falling asleep one by one.

The woman’s name was Hyerin Kim, and as soon as the hand struck twelve, she would be turning 40 years old. She sat quietly, barely finishing her first slice of watermelon.

“He filed for divorce today,” she said bitterly, her eyes stinging with tears. “You would think he would stay, seeing how he stayed with me through so much already. Chaerin is only five years old. He said he would raise Sungmin on his own.”

Yoongi gave a troubled sigh. “...You’re sick as well. I’m going to meet him tomorrow and then continue looking into hospitals.”

Hyerin shook her head weakly. “Don’t go after him. I’m going to let him go.”

Yoongi looked at her in exasperation, clearly distressed. “How can you just let him go? Even if he is complete scum, he should have a sense of—” Yoongi paused and bit his lip. He didn't mean to insult her husband. 

She smiled sadly and turned to face him. “Perhaps it just wasn’t fate.”

“Fate?” Yoongi clenched his teeth, furious now. “You and I know too well that there is no such thing as fate in this world. Not after what we’ve been through. Even the deities—if there are any—can’t be that cruel.”

 She said nothing and continued to gaze at him. It was at this moment that Yoongi realized how old the woman had grown. When they had first met, she had been b with life, eager to turn all the wrongs in the world into rights. And now, her eyes were lackluster and spoke of exhaustion. Her face that had once been round and plump was hauntingly thin, and her fragile black strands of hair were streaked with gray. Her skin lacked the vivid color of life and her lips seemed to be thinner than before. It broke the boy’s heart.

Yoongi buried his face in his hands and took a deep, long breath. “I just don’t understand.”

“Understand what?” she asked softly.

“How you can be so forgiving, so kind… even when the whole world turns against you.”

After a moment, she replied.

“It’s simple. I believe that we’re given only one shot at life, so I don’t want to spend it in regret. I don’t want to spend it poisoning myself with hatred. I believe that at every moment in life, no matter what happens, you have to be the best person you can be. And if it isn’t for anyone, in particular, do it for yourself. Because in the end, you’ll be happier that way.”

“Happiness,” he murmured, conflicted. He was still, at the age of twenty-one, trying to decipher what exactly that word meant.

Then she spoke again. “Chaerin.”

Yoongi blinked.

“She’s going to have a hard time understanding.”

He nodded solemnly.

Then he faced the night sky once again. Life was supposed to give and take, but for Yoongi, all it seemed to do was take.

--

The little girl sat idly on the swing, her feet sticking out in the air. She wore an adorable blue dress and had her hair tied back into two pigtails. Hideous, unevenly cut black bangs, which she had masterfully cut by herself, lay across her forehead. Yoongi took a seat in the neighboring swing and offered the child a rice ball. She refused it with a flat frown, surprising Yoongi. It was her favorite thing to eat.

“Oppa, why do you want to be a doctor?” she asked shrilly.

“Oh, look at our Chaerinnie asking big questions!” Yoongi said with a grin, reaching over to pat the little girl on the head.  

She batted his hand away and jumped off the swing, landing unsteadily on a pile of woodchips.

“I’m not a baby. Answer me,” she demanded with a sulk.

Yoongi got up from the swing as well and looked down at her with a warm countenance.

“Your mother inspired me to help people. That’s why I want to be a doctor. To save lives.”

Chaerin considered his response and then averted her gaze from his, boring her eyes down to the ground.

“Oppa,” she spoke quietly, a slight tremble present in her voice.

“Yes, Chaerin?”

“Do you really have to leave?” When she raised her head to face him, her eyes were flooded with hot tears.

“Shhh, don’t cry,” he cooed as he bent down to match her height. He wiped her tears away gingerly and offered her a smile.

“Oppa, don’t leave me. All I have is you and a smelly little brother who only poops and pees. And he’s leaving too,” she muttered between sobs.

“Don’t say that, Chaerin. Everyone loves you, especially your mother.”

When she heard those words she began to cry even harder. She clung to the hem of his shirt and began to plead.

“Yoongi oppa, s-save her. You’re a doctor. Y-you can save her.”

“Chaerin, she isn’t—” he began.

“Don’t lie to me. I’m not dumb!” She dropped to the ground and began to wail uncontrollably.

Yoongi’s heart ached as Chaerin continued to cry. He saw his younger self in her. He gave a heavy sigh and scooped the child up in his arms and began to walk towards her home. She protested at first, still sobbing. Then she fell asleep, remnants of her tears still visible upon her wet cheeks that stuck against his shirt.

He rang the doorbell and waited for Hyerin to come out.

“Oppa, don’t leave…me."