Chapter 7

Cold hands and warm hearts

For the first time since the accident there was laughter heard in that old, tiny apartment. For the first time since the accident the owner of the house could say that he was happy. Awfully and very much happy. For the first time since the accident his life regained its colors.

Yoongi and Jimin were in the bakery. When the morning came Yoongi went to make breakfast for Jimin, but this time Jimin joined him too; just to see him work. That didn’t make much sense but it felt nice. Yoongi wanted to make omelet, but Jimin insisted that he wanted to eat the fruit salad-bread Yoongi made him some time ago. Yoongi couldn’t argue with the puppy eyes (they were far too powerful) and begun working. He was mixing the flour with the water, when Jimin came and stood right behind him. His eyes were concentrated on Yoongi’s movements and when Yoongi asked if he wanted to try Jimin nodded quickly. Yoongi chuckled at that as he instructed the over-excited Jimin to wash his hands properly and come to stand in front of him. Jimin quickly put his fingers in the mix and begun giggling. He was too cute. Yoongi put his hands on Jimin’s and showed him what he was supposed to do. Yoongi couldn’t keep his giggles every time Jimin tossed the mix around and insisted that he made Yoongi’s portrait. They added the rest of the ingredients and waited for it to bake. While they were waiting Jimin blew on his hands to clean the flour on it, but as he was standing right in between Yoongi and the oven, it flew right to Yoongi’s face. Yoongi grimaced and scolded Jimin with his eyes. Jimin instead blew on his hand again. This time it was very intentional. Yoongi took a handful of sugar and attacked Jimin with it. Jimin didn’t give up easily - counterattacking with a handful of flour. The fight ended in draw as they needed to take the bread out of the oven. It smelled amazing; even better than the first one Yoongi did. He wanted to give it to Jimin to eat as soon as it got cold, but Jimin insisted in sharing it with his dad.

“But we can make another one. You should eat this one. Or even better; you can eat this while I’ll make the other one.”

“Where’s the fun in it?” Jimin was pouting. “You know if you really don’t want to give it to my dad I can understand. I just want to see him. I have something important to tell him.”

At the last sentence Jimin was pointedly looking at Yoongi.

“What?”   

“That the treatment is working,” said Jimin beaming.

Jimin’s smile could rival the sun in its warmth. Yoongi knew that Jimin changed a lot since he appeared, but hearing it from Jimin was even better.

“Alright, Mr. Kim’s house it is then.”

 xxx

 

Mr. Kim’s eyes watered as soon as he saw a pair of smiles on his doorstep. He hugged Jimin tightly and kept saying ‘thank you’s. Yoongi was standing behind Jimin with a proud smile. Everything was great and Jimin was happy what else he could want.

 

 xxx

 

There is an interesting thing about tragedies – they are always meant to happen when the rain is pouring down and the storm is raging, but actually through most of the humanity’s story the greatest tragedies happened on sunny days. It is the false sense of security, of nothing being able to go wrong, that makes the tragedies even worse. No one expects to have their life destroyed on a sunny day, but it’s usually what happens. That had happened to Yoongi too. Twice already.

Yoongi and Jimin spent their afternoon at Mr. Kim’s. The old man was very happy to be in the company of his son, especially after he had become better. In the evening when the sun was still in the horizon, the couple decided to head home after some grocery shopping. The weather was nice and so they strolled through the city. The city was beautiful. They reached the railways which were right beside the picturesque river, when suddenly Yoongi heard his name. He kept walking thinking his sensors needed a check, when the voice sounded again – clearer and closer.

“Hey, Yoongi, don’t you dare to ignore me!” said the voice half playfully, half demanding.

Both Yoongi and Jimin turned to look at the source of the sound and saw none other than Hoseok. He had two other boys standing by his side; none of them looked half as friendly as Hoseok, and to be honest at that moment neither did Hoseok. There was something wicked in the way he was smiling at Yoongi and he instinctively stood in front of Jimin, as if trying to shelter him. Jimin seemed worried too.

“Yoongi, let’s just go,” Jimin pulled his sleeve.

“Not so fast. It’s the first time I’m seeing my best friend after the accident,” Hoseok was coming closer and closer and so were the other boys.

“I’m sorry, but you are mistaken. We aren’t friends,” said Yoongi.

“Not friends, huh?” Hoseok’s smile seemed different. It was somewhere between pain and sarcasm. “Anyways, I’m sorry, but I have to take your charming companion with me.”

Jimin started pulling Yoongi’s sleeve with more force.

“I won’t let you!” Yoongi wanted to control himself but he was panicking.

“You are far too skinny to do much. I’m really sorry for doing this to you, my friend, but I have to sell him,” Hoseok would sound apologetic if his words weren’t so cruel.

“I won’t let you!”

“Think for yourself; two against three. It never ends well. Just let me take him, Yoongs. I don’t want to hurt you. Be a pal and just tell him to come with me.”

“I know that you were friends with the human Min Yoongi, but I’m an android that is helping Jimin. You’re confusing me with him,” said Yoongi.

Hoseok snorted.

“The only one confused is you, my friend.”

Just as Yoongi wanted to ask Hoseok to explain himself he heard a high-pitched scream. Jimin. One of the boys held him by his waist, as the other was holding him with a rope around his neck.

Yoongi lost himself. He punched the guy who was holding the rope and wanted to get the other one but he was turned around and punch right in his jaw. It was Hoseok. He punched back with all his might. Hoseok went back a few steps, touched his face and looked at the blood on his hands.

“You goddamn idiot!”

He attacked Yoongi again, but this time he managed to get Yoongi pinned on the ground while he restlessly punched his face.  

“Wake up you idiot!”

He punched again.

“Snap out of it, you moron!”

And again.


“How long are you going to pretend?!”

 

The last punch was so strong that made Yoongi hear a high-pitched scream, or was it just Jimin? Everything turned black, but then he saw the familiar set of hands. They were handing fresh baked bread to a little girl in yellow skirt. Then he saw Jimin in front of him with teary eyes saying that if he was that useless and stupid, Yoongi should break up with him. Jimin’s face soon changed and he saw a half-damaged dog growling miserably while staring at him across the alley. He saw himself crouching in front of her and telling her that he could repair her, that he would help her. Then he saw Jimin in the airport.

“Do even know what hunger means? Can’t you see that I’m doing this for us?” Yoongi’s voice was strained from shouting so much. He couldn’t care less about the other passengers staring at him.

“Maybe you are doing this for us, but the only person’s opinion you care about is your own. I’m tired of this and I’m tired of you!” shouted back Jimin.

Yoongi’s heart sunk low, but his anger was too much to keep quiet.

“Fine! Then I don’t need you either! I don’t need you or anyone else. Just go to hell!”

“If it means getting away from you!”

Jimin turned around angrily not even bothering to say goodbye to his dad and uncle, who were the silent witnesses of the situation.

The next vision that flooded in was the most painful. Yoongi saw the airplane form the windows of the airport. It flew steadily for a few seconds but then the tail of the plane begun burning. It reached one of the engines on the wings and soon the airplane exploded.

Airplane exploded with Jimin in it.