Chapter 6

Cold hands and warm hearts

 Yoongi didn’t know what he expected to see when he opened the door, but it wasn’t it. Jimin was standing or more like crouching as he was tying his shoes. He froze when he saw Yoongi. In a few short seconds he clung to Yoongi hugging him so tightly Yoongi begun worrying his titanium back would snap in half. The hug was so out of nowhere that Yoongi didn’t even hug back; he stood there while Jimin snuggled his face between Yoongi’s shoulder and neck.

“Where have you been?” came Jimin’s muffled voice.

 “I was at Mr. Kim’s. I told you,” replied Yoongi with a curious tone.

Was Jimin worried he had run away? That was stupid. An android without his creator never lasted long. Even if he wanted to run away (which he didn’t) he wouldn’t last without having frequent repairs and sensors checked. The more complicated androids were the more attention they needed. Yoongi thought Jimin should have known it.

“No, you didn’t. I was worried sick for you!” Jimin snuggled his head further into Yoongi’s shoulder.

He was worried. Worried for him.

He felt as if the breath was knocked out of his mechanical lungs. No human had ever worried for him. Well, Doctor Kim was always attentive to him, but he was his creation so of course he would. Jimin was different.

 “You were worried for me?” asked Yoongi in astonishment.

Jimin pushed himself off Yoongi just enough to look at his face while saying;

“Of course I was, you idiot. You just disappeared and I had no clue where you could be. I even wanted to come looking for you.”

Jimin, the person who hadn’t left his room for months, decided to leave the house just to find him. Yoongi was speechless for a few seconds; he just stared at Jimin with his mouth slightly open. Then as if coming to his senses he said calmly;

“You had no reason to be worried. I can manage myself. I’m an android after all.”

For some reason Jimin furrowed his brows.

“Yes, you are an android but that doesn’t mean that you are safe from harm. There are many people who kidnap and sell androids especially the emotive ones. Please be more careful.”

Yoongi nodded curtly not quite processing the whole situation. But then a realization came to him.

“So you were worried that people would steal me?”

“Of course.”

“Well, I’m sure Doctor Kim would make a new one in case I went missing, so you had nothing to worry about,” said Yoongi in his most nonchalant tone.

Jimin gasped without a sound. The he looked as if Yoongi had offended his entire family tree.  

“How could you say that! Just because you don’t have blood running through your veins doesn’t mean you aren’t worth anything. Uncle Seokjin spent months working on you; you are his best creation. Do you even know how proud he is of having created you? Do you know how much he cherishes you? You have a mind, a personality and emotions, even if they are artificially created and not as complex as human’s ones, they are still important. You can’t just neglect yourself. You aren’t that easily replaced as you think you are.”

“What about you?”

“About me?”

“Do you cherish me also?”

The look on Jimin’s face was a sign he shouldn’t have really asked that, but he couldn’t help himself. He was a simple copy of the person Jimin loved. No matter what he did he would never be as good as the original one.

Jimin lowered his head. Slowly he took a hold of Yoongi’s wrist and dragged him to his bedroom.

None said a word. They were just sitting on Jimin’s bed; both thinking about the same question from different perspectives. Suddenly Jimin left the room but shortly came back with the photo album in his hands. He sat on his previous place – on Yoongi’s left side and begun flipping the photo album.

Yoongi turned his head to look at it too. He had seen those photos before - on his first day at Jimin’s house. This time wasn’t different. He still felt a numb kind of a pain when looking at the photos, but this time he also noticed something he never noticed before.

“Why doesn’t Yoongi have photos of his own?”

There were over 30 photos in that album and in none Yoongi was alone. He was usually with Jimin, on some he was with Doctor Kim, in the others he was with the rest, and some where of just Jimin, but never Yoongi alone.

“He didn’t like taking photos of himself. He enjoyed taking photos of everything around himself – the city, the people in it, our family and me, but he never took his own photo. He hated seeing himself alone in the frame. Photos for him were the reflection of the world he lived in, so he hated seeing himself alone in them. He hated seeing himself all alone in this world. He was terrified of it.”

They went silent after that. The atmosphere was gloomy.

After the silence, Yoongi asked a question he had on his mind all the way from Mr. Kim’s house.

“Was he happy? In the end?”

His own voice sounded weird to him at that moment. The words itself were weird; too heavy too terrifying.

Jimin looked at him with a thoughtful expression.

“I hope he was,” Jimin’s voice had never sounded so unsure, so soft.

His grip on the album tightened. Yoongi noticed that and put his hands on Jimin’s. They were very cold. Jimin had lowered his head again, but when he felt Yoongi touching him, he didn’t pull away. After some time, Yoongi took the album from Jimin’s hands and put it on the bedside table. He made Jimin lay down. When he turned around to leave the room, a hand grabbed his wrist.

“Please stay.”

The voice was pleading. Yoongi lay down next to him. He turned his head to look at Jimin, but Jimin was already looking right back at him. There were only a few inches apart; Yoongi lying on his back and Jimin on his side. Yoongi just stared back at Jimin. There was something in Jimin’s look. He couldn’t keep his eyes off him. He was too beautiful. Before Yoongi could realize anything, Jimin tilted his head and closed the  small distance between them. The kiss was a simple touch of lips on lips, but it felt as if his whole body was on fire. Yoongi still had his eyes wide open when Jimin broke the kiss. He still lay close to Yoongi with their noses touching. Yoongi spent the whole night just looking at Jimin.