Chapter 10

Cold hands and warm hearts

K9 or as he started calling himself Chim, woke up quite late today. His schedule for today not much; he had to clean the house in the morning, then visit Mr. Kim and make something for him to eat, then he would go to the Recreation center and help around. He’d stay there until 9pm and then go back home. This had been his schedule for 2 years. A lot had changed during those 2 years: he had orange hair now, he spent a lot of time with the people at the Recreation center and although they knew he was an android, they liked him and even gave him a nickname – Chim. Doctor Kim died when one of his recent androids exploded and wounded him and when he was dying he said that he was happy he was going with a bang. Chim still didn’t understand what was funny about dying. There was only one thing that hadn’t changed yet; Yoongi was nowhere to be found.

The day when he went ‘for a walk’ was the last any of them saw him. When he didn’t come back before dinner, Mr. Kim got worried and decided to go look for him. He even called the police and searched every pond, every river, every place a body could be. Mr. Kim could only think of one reason of Yoongi’s disappearance and all of them really hoped he was wrong. In the end police searched everywhere and even checked Yoongi and Jimin’s house twice but couldn’t find him. Mr. Kim who the whole time had been tightly holding Dr. Kim’s hand as a way to comfort himself finally let go when the police told him they didn’t find Yoongi’s body anywhere. He was reviled. Mr. Kim wasn’t sure he’d survive Yoongi’s death also. Yoongi was all he had left after Jimin.  Dr. Kim was in no better condition. He was trying to be strong for Mr. Kim but Chim could see the way he jumped when the police car stopped in front of the house or the way his face paled after every phone call. Chim was worried too.

 He liked Yoongi ever since his hearing sensors were first installed and Yoongi checked them by playing music for him. Yoongi played music every time he worked. Sometimes he’d notice the change in K9’s brain waves and change the music if the waves suggested displeasure. Sometimes, when Jimin couldn’t come to the laboratory, Yoongi would talk with him. He had already gotten used to talking to someone so on the days when Jimin was absent he talked with Chim. It wasn’t really a conversation since Yoongi was the one speaking and Chim could only listen, but he still enjoyed them greatly. He loved hearing Yoongi praise a certain musician before playing his works for him, or when Yoongi complained of him being a ‘whiny tasteless baby’ when Chim made him change 3 songs in a row, or when Yoongi would gush about Jimin. He loved hearing that the most. Yoongi was so sweet when talking about Jimin; he would always say how good Jimin looked, how bright his smile was, how cute he was. He even heard the first time they kissed.

 Yoongi was working on his left hand and fixing his nerve endings. Jimin had been away all weekend so of course Yoongi was talking to him.

“Can you even imagine how spoiled that brat is? He ate the last piece of the chocolate cake – the one uncle Jin kept for me, and when I scolded him, he literally said I would have ended up giving it to him anyways because I love him. Huh. As if I could ever love his idiotic sunshine smile, or his dumb soft hair, or the way his stupid eyes turn into stupid crescent moons when he laughs, or his dumb giggles.”

Chim couldn’t see him, but he thought Yoongi was smiling. He knew that humans’ voice changed depending on their facial expression and their mood. He often wondered what Yoongi’s smile looked like. It must have been as nice as the sound of it.

“Wow, he must be really shameless,” came the voice from a bit further.

He didn’t hear anything for a few second even the sound of his bolts being screwed wasn’t heard. Yoongi must have stopped working. Then he heard the sound of footsteps approaching and Yoongi’s breath suddenly stopping. He was worried that maybe Jimin killed Yoongi, but then a heard a small sound coming from Yoongi and then he heard him giggling.

“Hey, stop that! I can’t kiss you if you keep giggling,” Jimin sounded like he was smiling.

“Sorry, I can’t help it. I don’t think I’ve ever been this happy.”

After hearing these words he again heard the sound of what he could guess was kissing, but this time it was a bit different; their breaths were short and the sounds were louder. He even heard Yoongi emit sounds which he usually heard when Yoongi managed to hit himself with the instruments, though this time it sounded less pissed.

He missed hearing Yoongi talk when he moved to his new house, but he was glad because he sounded happy when he said his goodbye to him.

Chim smiled at the fond memories before closing the door and heading to Mr. Kim’s house.

He reached there in twenty minutes, since he went to buy some cherries and banana. He wanted to bake bread for Mr. Kim; the one he once baked with Yoongi. He hoped that eating it would make Mr. Kim happier. He saw a motorbike in front of the tiny apartment.

Mr. Kim had sold his old house last year and gave away all his money to the Recreation center. He himself moved to Jimin and Yoongi’s house. He said it made him feel closer to Jimin.

He wondered who could have anything to do with Mr. Kim; all his family was dead. Maybe his lawyer got a new vehicle.

He quickly opened the door but what he saw made him freeze in the spot. In front of his eyes was Yoongi. He had changed; that was noticeable. He was wearing a pair of black ripped jeans with a black top and a black leather jacket, but the most noticeable thing was that he had white hair now.

Yoongi was looking back at him. The he smiled a small smile and turned to face Mr. Kim again, who was still in his bed. He had a hard time walking around the house. Dr. Kim’s death was the last straw for his tired body.

“My boy, I don’t care. I’m just glad you are alive. I was so worried. I thought I lost you too,” said Mr. Kim wiping his eyes with a handkerchief.

“I’m sorry for making you worried. I needed time and space to understand what I was going to do with my life. Now, I’ve more or less figured it out. I even own a small café.”

Chim couldn’t see his face but he heard the smile in his voice. Just like before.

“I don’t want to hear that. It’s not important! Just tell me are you happy?”

Yoongi went silent for a second before saying;

“It’s hard but I’m getting there.”

Mr. Kim started crying again, but this time it wasn’t the sad-cry Chim had seen so often, it was the happy-cry that he had never seen before.

Yoongi raised his hands to his face and wiped his face. Was he crying too?

Yoongi bent down and hug Mr. Kim tightly.

“Thank you so much! For everything, for never treating me like garbage just like most people had. Thank you for giving me a chance to be happy and thank you for letting me be a part of your family. Those 3 years were the best time of my life. I really wish I could say this to uncle Jin too, but I was too late.”

Yes, he was definitely crying. Chim couldn’t decide whether it was the happy or the sad cry. Maybe both?

“He knew. I’m sure he knew you loved him even if you didn’t show it. He was happy that he got a chance to be your father even for a short time. He told me himself. I too have something to be grateful of. Thank you for making my son happy. He couldn’t have fallen for someone who deserved him more than you did. Thank you, Yoongi.”

They didn’t stay like that for a long time. Yoongi straightened himself and turned to look at Chim.

“Can I talk to you privately?”

“Yes.”

Chim told him to follow him and they ended up in the bakery, which had been closed for years now.

“What do you want to say to me?”

“Do you like me?” asked Yoongi.

“Why are you asking?” Chim tilted his head.

“I want to know. It’s an easy question.”

“You are nice. I do,” replied Chim looking Yoongi in the eye.

“Then come with me.”

“Come with you?    

“Yes, I’m pretty sure there is nothing wrong with your hearing sensors. After all it was me who installed them,” Yoongi added quickly.

“No, I heard what you said. What I meant is why do you need me to come with you? Do you still need treatment?”

“Apparently time was the medicine I needed. I’ve accepted that Jimin has died and I’ve moved on.”

“Then why do you need me?”

“Honestly? I’m just tired of being alone. So tired of it.”

“I still don’t understand.”

“You know my past, you now how I grew up. It was difficult but I could bear it because I had Hoseok by my side. When I lost Hoseok, I found Holly. Then Jimin came around. Even after Jimin’s death I had Mr. Kim and uncle Jin; without them I don’t know what I’d have done to myself. I was in my worst condition both mentally and physically, but I still had them. But one of them is gone now and Mr. Kim is ill. And I’m just tired of losing people. Everyone I ever cared about got ripped off my life and I’m tired of seeing them go and not being able to do anything. You know, I always prided myself in that fact that I was independent, that I didn’t need anybody, that I was free, but In fact I’m very dependent. I need to have someone around me; someone who I can trust and who can understand me. I know I sound like a weak person, but that’s who I am. I’m weak and I need your help. You are an android. Unless someone kills you, there is no way you can be ripped off my life. Maybe with an artificial person I’d be luckier than I was with real ones.”

Yoongi was talking steadily as if he had practiced it before, but his hands were fidgeting; he was nervous.

Chim listened with utmost attention and care. He wanted to help Yoongi after all that was the reason he was created the way he was but there was a thought that bothered him;

“Do I have to pretend to be Jimin? Because if yes, then I have to decline your offer.”

He didn’t want to be anyone besides Chim – the friendly and helpful android the people at Recreation center like so much.

“No. You don’t have to. I told you. I’ve moved on although it took a lot of time. Right now I just need K9.”

“Chim.”

“What?”

“My name is Chim now.”

Chim liked the way Yoongi’s smile grew big enough to show his gums.

“Sorry, Chim, so what do you say?”

“Can I become your lover then?”

Yoongi got flustered.

“I-I do-. If that will make you come with me then sure,” Yoongi’s voice wasn’t so sure though.

“But do you want to?”

Yoongi looked down and that was an answer enough for Chim.

“I will come with you but you don’t have to do things you don’t want to.”

Yoongi quickly raised his head. He came close and hugged.

“I’ll take good care for you, don’t worry,” murmured Chim.

 

xxx

 

And he did although it took him a lot of time. They moved to the city were Yoongi lived. They wanted to take Mr. Kim with them but old men are usually very stubborn, so he declined and they didn’t pester him. At the beginning things were difficult. Sometimes Yoongi would unintentionally call Chim ‘Jimin’ and Chim wouldn’t talk to him for a day. Sometimes Chim would try to hold his hand or just sit next to him and Yoongi would pull away. Sometime they would fight because Chim would keep on telling Yoongi the statistics of people dying in motorcycle accidents and Yoongi would speed up just to spite him. But gradually things worked out. Yoongi begun seeing more clearly the differences between Chim and Jimin; Chim was practical, Jimin was emotional, Chim was shy, Jimin was bold in his advances, Chim liked tidiness, while Jimin was messy. Over the time he began liking Chim as a dear friend. One night when Chim calmed him down after a nightmare, Yoongi grabbed his face and kissed him. But unlike their first time he knew who he was kissing and he knew that he wanted more. That night a very terrifying yet exciting revelation came to him; he was happy.