Chapter 3

Cold hands and warm hearts

Yoongi somehow knew that he would find the food untouched the next day. A very unreasonable waste if you ask him. He took the tray and emptied it in the trash. Then he began making breakfast. He was sure that this breakfast would have the same fate as yesterday’s dinner but it was worth a try. What if Jimin decided to finally eat and there wasn't food for him? He couldn't let that happen. He put the newly made breakfast in front of the bedroom door and looked through his schedule.

 

9:00 Arrive at Jimin’s house

9:05 Make breakfast for Jimin

9:20 Clean the house

10:30 Travel the world with Jimin

 

Although his program required having a strict schedule, his program also required accomplishing tasks that were actually realizable. Androids weren't allowed to travel on their own. They needed a signed permission from their creators, but this wasn't the problem. Yoongi could easily ask Doctor Kim to sign the papers. The problem was Jimin. According to Doctor Kim, Jimin hadn't left his room for five months now. How was he supposed to travel the world with Jimin if he wouldn't even leave his own bedroom? Yoongi tilted his head and looked at the paper long and hard. In the end he figured he needs a human’s advice and went looking for Doctor Kim.

 

He found Doctor Kim in the Recreation house. It was a fancy name for Elderly house. Doctor Kim was one of the main doctors there. Although he was a master android designer and creator, he enjoyed working with real people and helping them. So when Yoongi found him, he was repairing Mrs. Ahn’s wheelchair.

“Good morning, doctor.”

“Oh, Yoongi, my boy, nice seeing you here. Did something happen?”

There were 2 things that Yoongi always liked in Doctor Kim; 1) he was very nice and treated him like a real person, 2) he was always on point.

 “I need help in traveling the world.”

“Traveling?” asked Doctor Kim raising his brow.

“Yes, traveling. I found a jar filled with papers. I figured they must be real Yoongi’s and Jimin’s dreams and one of them was traveling the world. I thought maybe traveling will help Jimin,” explained Yoongi quickly.

"How are going to force Jimin to travel when we can't even force him to leave his bedroom?" 

"Exactly," sighed Yoongi.

Doctor Kim stood up sighing. He rubbed his neck and seemed deep in thought. Then he looked at Yoongi and said;

“I really don’t know, my boy. He is not in a condition when forcing or pleading would make a difference. He won't listen to us.”

When Doctor Kim saw Yoongi’s disappointed face, he added;

“Maybe you can find a different version of traveling? Like a substitute one.”

Yoongi’s eyes gleamed with joy.

“A substitute one? Just like me?”

Doctor Kim’s smile faltered.

“Yes, Yoongi, just like you.”

Yoongi thanked Doctor Kim, before heading to the market.

 

 

 

 

 Market was full of people just like yesterday. He looked around for some time before noticing a small shop with old-fashioned TVs put on display. He entered it and after looking around for some time he found an old photo camera. It lifted it to his eyes and looked through the view finder. He pointed the lens towards the open window and took a photo. The machine made a noise and when Yoongi looked at the photo he took, he knew he found the right thing. He paid for it and left the small shop. 

 

 

Yoongi slid the paper through the door crack and waited for a reaction. And the reaction he got was worth all the trouble he got through since Jimin laughed. Loudly. Jimin’s laugh did something to his system, since Yoongi could feel himself getting lighter for some reason. Was this happiness? Yoongi was already smiling before he could realize Jimin’s laughter’s effect on him.

The laughter soon quieted down and he heard the sound of a thin paper being picked up.

“Only Yoongi could have come up with something like this,” said Jimin.

Yoongi’s smile got even bigger and he was scared for a second that his artificial skin may tear apart. He knew he had made the right choice, when he bought that camera. All afternoon he spent walking around the city and taking photos of people, of animals, of everything he would see.  When he came back, he printed them. Something still didn't feel right, so he also printed famous landscapes from around the world and added them to his photos. In one photo a black stray cat was sipping water with Big Ben on his back, on the other a woman was scolding her child with a tiny Taj Mahal on the background, on the other a man was sitting on the torch of the Statue of Liberty. To be honest Yoongi was quite proud of himself for thinking of this.

He heard a faint sigh coming form the opposite side of the closed door before he heard a quiet ‘thank you’. Maybe it was the smile heard in Jimin’s vice, maybe it was the courage coming from succeeding a mission, maybe it was simple curiosity that made Yoongi ask the question.

“What was he like?”

Ever since he heard about their story, he often tried to imagine what kind of person Yoongi could have been. Was he unique or maybe rare that his death affected Jimin like that? Was he somehow different from the rest of the humanity? Was he irreplaceable?

For some time Jimin didn’t say anything. Yoongi thought maybe he was being too bold and just when he turned around to leave, he heard the sound of a body leaning against the door. Jimin sat down and started talking. Yoongi did the same on the opposite side of the door.

“To be honest he was a jerk, a complete douchebag. He was awfully bad at feelings. He was the type of a person who showed affection by hitting you hard on the head for getting cold. He often made me wonder if he really liked me or just stayed by my side because I didn't bother him too much. And he was grumpy as hell. Every single morning I had to hear his 'I hate being human and I hate functioning' rant before I could even drag him out of our bed. Also he was very lazy. I'd leave the house whole day and when I came back, I'd find him in the same position. I'm pretty sure if it wasn't for me that idiot wouldn't even bother buying food or eating. What a sloth."

“You keep calling him bad names, but your voice is devoid of negative tone. Is this human’s way of expressing affection? It’s too confusing.”

Jimin snorted.

“Human emotions usually are.”

It was silent again so Yoongi added.

“If he really was that bad why did you like him?”

“You can’t choose who you like and who you don’t. Humans don’t work on orders like you robots do.... He wasn't a bad person, not really. He was attentive and caring. He just hated showing it. He always thought it made him seem weak,” said Jimin with a more bitter tone.

Yoongi wondered if there was more to Jimin’s words, but he’d ask that later, for now he wanted to know something else.

“How did you meet?”

Jimin snorted.

“You are an android, but right now you sound exactly like a human,” then he continued, “We met 3 years ago. It was mid autumn. I was walking home from the market. I had to take a different road, since my usual one was under construction. Maybe it was destiny after all, but it was on that odd street that I met him. The street was empty since it was pretty late and when I was passing by a narrow alley I heard a voice. His voice. He was talking to his dog, or more like scolding her. At that time he was homeless and his only companion was his dog named Holly. Holly had stolen bread from the bakery nearby and Yoongi was scolding her. That idiot was literally saying stuff like ‘Holly, baby, we talked about this. We never steel from others. Hey don’t you dare to turn your to me when I'm scolding you! Respect your dad, you ungrateful child!’ If it was anyone else, I’m sure I would have just walked by thinking the person had gone insane. But for some reason, I felt the urge to get to know him. Maybe it was because of the way he looked. At that time he had his mint-green hair. He was wearing a pair of worn out jeans with a black jacket. I couldn't keep my eyes off him. Even in that dirty old alley he looked like a piece of art. I thought he didn't belong there. I wanted to help him. Although at that time I simply laughed. He turned around to look at me and both of us felt it. We just froze and looked at each other. I felt as if electricity went right through me. I couldn't move, I’m not sure I was breathing either. All I could do was to stare at his deep black eyes. In that moment I felt that my life changed forever.”

Jimin went quiet and Yoongi impatiently waited for him to continue. But then…

“Enough for today,” said Jimin standing up.

Yoongi wanted to argue but kept silent. It was already good that on his second day he managed to get Jimin to talk to him. He guessed it was mostly because he sounded just like real Yoongi. Maybe hearing his voice made Jimin think he was talking to the real one. With these thoughts Yoongi headed to the kitchen to make something for Jimin. He didn't know for sure whether his dish would have the same fate as the previous ones, but he still worked hard and when the food was ready he put it in front of the bedroom door. The next day, however, a very unexpected surprise was waiting for him. The plate was half-empty.