Chapter 1

Cold hands and warm hearts

He opened his eyes and looked around. The room was dark and stuffy. He was in a large room which looked like an office with a bookshelf and sketches scattered around, but he knew he was at his master’s house. Not really a master, the other word… creator, ah yes, his creator. He was an old man with white hair and full lips; people called him Doctor Kim. K2 called him that too.

“You think this will work?,” said the other man in hushed whispers.

The other man was around the same age as Doctor Kim. He had a soft voice and something in his way of talking made K2 think he was nice. The other man and Doctor Kim were conversing near the bookshelf, while K2 was sitting on a chair at the other end of the room. They repeatedly looked at him while talking and K2 guessed they were talking about him.

“It’s better than doing nothing. You have seen the state the poor boy was in. We will lose him if we just stay aside and let him suffer. He’d been through enough. I won’t let him suffer more,” said Doctor Kim before turning to look at K2 with sympathetic eyes.

The old man was looking down and his shoulders were shaking. Was he… crying? It was what humans were supposed to do when they were sad, wasn't it? K2 wondered if it actually helped to ease their pain or it was a simple distraction.

“Poor Yoongi, poor Yoongi and my poor, poor Jimin,” the man was sobbing loudly while the doctor was rubbing his back as a way to comfort him. K2 knew what that gesture meant since the doctor often did that to him as well, though he was a robot and it didn't really matter. Doctor Kim crouched in front of the old man and murmured;

“I know how hard it is for you, believe me I know. I loved him too, but if we don’t do this, we might loose the other as well. He is all that we have left. We can’t let this child die.”

Was the doctor crying too? K2 wondered if he was programmed to have this emotion as well. If humans did it so often maybe it had some pleasurable effect. He’d ask Doctor Kim later.

The two men soon calmed down. The old man dried his eyes while Doctor Kim came close to K2 and begun speaking.
“K2, I have a very important task for you. You have to promise to do it diligently. It is very important. Can you help me save a life?”

Save a life. That was something new. Sure androids were used in medicine but they were mostly used as assistants and never as doctors. Humanity still didn't trust machines. They were simple robots who supplied doctors with needed instruments and helped the patients to recover. They didn't save lives. That K2 knew for sure. He also knew that he definitely wasn't a medical android so the doctor’s request seemed unusual. Nonetheless, K2 agreed. He always liked (it was the right word for the positive emotions, wasn’t it) Doctor Kim, so if there was a way he could help he would do it even if he wasn't programmed for it.

“This is my friend, Kim Namjoon. His son’s name is Jimin. Jimin was engaged to Yoongi. Here is their photo,” said the doctor handing K2 an old-fashioned photograph.

There were two young man on the photograph. One of them had brown hair and was smiling from ear to ear. He had his hand around another boy around the same age. He was a bit taller, but not too much, with dark black hair and pale skin. His eyes were closed and his mouth was wide open. He had his hand around the other boy’s waist. In his other hand was a leash. K2, although programmed to understand human emotions, didn't understand why looking at the photograph of the happy boys had a bittersweet effect on him.

“As you can see, Jimin and Yoongi loved each other and they were very happy. They used to have a small shop where Yoongi baked goods, while Jimin arranged flowers. They were a perfect couple and we were all happy for them until the accident happened,” the doctor paused as if talking about the accident hurt him, before continuing, “Yoongi had to leave the country for the weekend and we went to the airport together to see him off, but the airplane… the airplane exploded. The engineers didn't bother to check the airplane properly before it took off. It burnt down right in front of our eyes, in the air. Jimin was there too. It was an awful shock for all of us, but it mostly hurt Jimin. After the love of his life died right in front of his eyes, he closed off completely. That day he died. He stopped eating, sleeping, talking. He refused to talk to Namjoon as well. Nothing could console him for the pain he felt was much greater than ours. We tried everything – shouting, threatening, guilt-tripping, but nothing worked. He was utterly crushed and there was nothing we could do. Or so we thought. Until I remembered about the android I created. You can help him. I made you look like Yoongi. Only you can help Jimin now. You are our only hope,” finished the doctor and looked at K2 with curious eyes.

K2 thought for a bit before saying;

“I’m an android and it’s my duty to help humans. I’ll do my best, doctor.”