Besides, They're Partners

Never Forget

Smell of omelette, fried hotdog and bacon. Minji could accurately smell it and drew a smile on her sleeping face. The smell is so delicious that she felt her stomach growl. She was thinking that she was dreaming. She'll be having a breakfast after two years since her aunt died. Mmmm breakfast, she thought. She didn't want to break her dream. She didn't want to open her eyes. But life is so unfair. Her eyes opened without her permission. It's uncontrollable. "No." she moaned. My breakfast. It vanished just like that. So she unwillingly got up from her bed and looked around to check if something has changed. Nothing. Still the same. She paused suddenly and sniffed around, like a dog. She was smelling omelette, fried hotdog and bacon. "Huh?" She is pretty sure she's not dreaming anymore. She's wide awake now. "Breakfast?" she said, really curious where the smell is coming from. She sniffed again, really hard. "Impossible." She quickly ran to the kitchen and saw the dining table already set. There's omelette freshly cooked. There's also fried hotdog and bacon and a glass of juice. But how? No one is with her. She lives alone. Therefore, no one will cook breakfast because she doesn't do breakfast. It's a strange thing to do for her. "Oh, you're awake already?" Tiffany appeared making Minji startled on her place. She was wearing an apron, Minji's aunt's apron. She was holding a bowl of soup when she appeared and it's hot because it was still steaming. She placed it at the dining table. "What are you doing?" Minji asked in 'I can't believe you're here' tone. "Obviously, cooking breakfast for you." She smiled while taking off the apron and hang it on one of the table's chairs. She was very proud to present her masterpiece to Minji. "I mean, how did you get in here?" "You actually left the door open yesterday. You forgot to lock it because you were so sad yesterday." Minji closed her eyes, it was unbelievable of her. She's lucky no one broke into her house. What a great oppurtunity if someone did. "Come. Sit." Tiffany said as she sat and Minji sat beside her. "I didn't know you can cook." Minji said dawing a smile on her face. "Of course I can." Tiffany put some rice on Minji's plate. Minji was so touched by Tiffany. She felt special. Tiffany is not saying anything about yesterday. She knew. If they're going to talk about what made Minji sad, Minji will be sad all day. Tiffany doesn't to see that. She knew how miserable Minji's life is. That's why she's there. Always. "Do you have anything to do today?" Tiffany asked while chewing her food. She looked like she's Minji's mom, asking how will she spend her day. "We're going to start our task today." "We're?" "Ji Young and me. The assignment." "Oh. So that's your meeting yesterday?" "Yup." "How was it? Did you act normal?" "Well, about that, he opened about it." Tiffany gasped. "He knew I was embarrassed and trying to get myself together in front of him. But I already settled it." Minji felt back the embarrassment. "Like how?" "I made him forget it." "Ohhhh.That's a long 'Oh' coming from Tiffany. She wondered how Minji did that. Did she bewitch Ji Young or did she smack his head and had an amnesia? Minji poured her glass some juice. Suddenly, the landlady came, knocking hard on Minji's door. "Kim Minji! Three days have already passed. You'll have to pay for your rent!" She shouted. Minji and Tiffany looked each other, listening to the furious landlady. Oh crap. I forgot about it, Minji thought. "Who's that?" Tiffany asked. "The landlady." Minji made a worried, scared face. "Do you have the money?" She was asking if Minji got money to pay her rent. "No." "Kim Minji! I know you're in there!" The landlady knocked hard again. She knew she's inside. She can smell breakfast. After a minute, the door opened. It was Tiffany who faced the landlady. "How much is the rent?" Tiffany asked as soon as she has faced the landlady. The landlady was intimidated because Tiffany was giving her face, waiting for her to answer her. "Wh-what?" "The rent. How much is it?" Tiffany asked again. The landlady's eyes were searching for Minji but they can't find her. The landlady answered Tiffany and Tiffany took her wallet and handled the money to her in unfriendly way. "Here." The landlady took the money, shocked. "The business' done so you can now stop knocking and shouting in front of my friend's door." Tiffany said. The landlady nodded. "Have a good day." And she closed the door. Minji exhaled. "Thank you. I promise to pay you as soon as I got the money." "Okay." Tiffany smiled. "Take your time."

---------------------

 

Just like what they have agreed. They will meet at the convenience store next to the Seoul Mag building. Minji was the first one to arrive. She looked around then went inside the convenience store to check if Ji Young is inside and waiting for her. Nope. No Ji Young at all. She's really the first one to arrive. So Minji took a seat on one of the chairs of the store and waited for Ji Young. Should I get something to eat while waitingNahI already had my breakfastThanks to TiffanyMinji is happy for so many simple reasons. She's happy because she had her breakfast that was prepared by her best friend. She's happy because her rent is settled because her best friend lend her money. She's happy because she got a friend like Tiffany. Maybe she's not unlucky when it comes to friendship. Maybe she's not unlucky at all. How will my day endMinji was thinking about her day. So what they say is true. If you're sad yesterday then you're happy today and tomorrow... well. Maybe not. It depends how we spend our day, right? And Minji chose to start her day with positive vibe. Except that the landlady has ruined the vibe a little bit. But that's part of the day. Negative vibe is always there no matter how strong the positive vibe is. Minji was smiling having these thoughts in her mind. She was tapping her fingers on her lap. Maybe I'm not unlucky at all.

"I'm so sorryI'm late." Ji Young approached Minji who was startled for a moment. He's not panting at all although it's obvious he ran a little bit. "How long you've been here?" Minji stood up and looked at her watch. "Fifteen minutes ago." "Really?" Minji nodded. "I'm really sorry." Ji Young looked guilty for being late. "Waitwhy did you decide to meet here if we can meet at the lobby?" I should have asked this yesterday,Minji thought. "I just thought if you want to buy something before we start working." Ji Young said as he looked around the store. His DSLR was hanging on his neck. Always. That's why it's obvious that his occupation is photograher. "Buy something like what?" "ChocolatesCandiesBiscuits." "Are those necessary?" "With stalkingYesThey are necessaryStalking is always partnered with waitingSo in order for you to stay alertyou need those." Ji Young said as he walked to the chocolates and candies section. Minji followed him having no idea what Ji Young is trying to point out. "Haven't you tried stalking someone -you know- in real life?" "No." She replied not really sure if no is the correct answer. "You should tryÀtleast onceIt's fun." He gave that disappointed face that Minji didn't understand. "Here." He took two packs of Kisses and gave it to Minji and she took it. He added another pack of candies and gave it to Minji. Does he like sweets?, Minji thought as she watched Ji Young deciding what to pick next. Now, without any realization, Minji looked like Ji Young's assistant with her hands full of packs of sweets. She followed him to the counter. "How much?" He asked the young woman at the counter. She looks like she's in her twenties but she's already 32. She told him the price and he paid for the sweets and Minji was watching them. She still can't believe that chocolates and candies are necessary for stalking. Afterwards, Ji Young took the paper bag and both of them went outside the store. There was a fortuner wating for them. Minji was shocked a little bit when she saw the car. "Is this our car?" She asked and stared at the car as if she never saw a car like that one. "YesOur get-away car." "How about Minho?" She suddenly asked about Minho. As far as she knows, Minho is also using the car. "He ain't got any assignment as of now so it's ours to use." Ji Young opened the passenger seat's door. "Shall we start our assignment?" He waited for her to step forward and when she did, he gave the paper bag to her. "Go in." He said and went to the driver's seat.

Minji felt like a rookie as she sat on the passenger seat. Stalking. It's a total strange thing to her. She forgot how to do their task right. But why does she have to go with Ji Young? She's not a photographer. She's an entertainment writer. 

You have to come with me in order for you to write the story in more effective and clear wayIt's better to see it with your own eyesrightAnd besides, we're partnersYou'll come with me in stalking and taking pictures and I'll go with you in editing and finishing up the storyJi Young said when Minji asked during the meeting. Minji cannot refuse this team work. She's amazed on how Ji Young handles the task. He's actually the leader and that's a relief to Minji.

Besideswe're partners.

Awkward.

That's the aura inside the car. No conversation at all. Only silence and countless cough and clearing of throats coming from both of them. They're not strangers anymore but starting up a conversation... kind of strange for both of them. "Where exactly are we going?" Minji finally broke the awkward silence. Ji Young looked at her in 'Huh? What do you mean?' way. "Did you forget itWe're going to Dollar's placeWe'll stalk him first." Ji Young answered while keeping his eyes on the road. He looks cool. Literally. "OhOkay." Ji Young took one pack of Kisses and opened it while driving. Minji was glancing at him. Ji Young ate two Kisses at the same time. "Want some?" He offered. Minji shook her head. "No. Thanks." And then awkward smile. Suddenly, Minji forget what they have discussed yesterday. She blinked her eyes while looking outside because why in the world and how did she suddenly forget about their discussion. Sudden short term amnesia, she called. It appears suddenly, unpredictable. After a few minutes, they have arrived at where Dollar is living. Ji Young parked his car at the parking lot of the building where Dollar is living. "Okay." Ji Young said as he turned off the car's engine. "According to the information Chaerin gave, he lives at 8th floor. 283." "He's at home?" Minji asked. "Yes. He doesn't have anything to do today. Based on his schedule." Minji nodded, feeling determined then she unbuckled her belt. "Let's start."

 

To be continued... 

 

Note: If there are typo errors, the author is sincerely sorry. She'll going to edit that as soon as she can. Don't forget to subscribe! 

~Please see story feed at the right side of your monitor's screen~