four

Alive

Seulgi realised that she had gained a lot of people around her because of her new appearance.

 

Yes.

 

People.

 

She did not want to call them as her friends because she knew that those people were not genuinely wanting to be her friends; who actually would stick around when she feels down or when she just simply needed them. Ever since that day, Seulgi have a little bit of trust issues. Whenever she met new people she would mentally questioned their true intension. Except for--of course--Jisoo, Joy, and little Yeri. The only people she trusted at the moment beside her mother. The three of them did their best to teach Seulgi about the new ability she got within herself.

 

She was learning how to control her shifting, and she slowly got the hang of it. She did not randomly turn into a werewolf on most of the full moons…or whenever she saw Irene.

 

Speaking of Irene, the girl was the head cheerleader now, and obviously still dating Sehun that was one of those typical jocks. Cliché. Seulgi thought. Seulgi did not really want to pay attention to them, although sometimes she found Irene tried to block her way just so they can have a simple talk which was so unnecessary for Seulgi liking. She grew from a bubbly kid to a cold young-adult within just six months when she thought she could never see the world again.

 

Irene is a pain in the .

 

Seulgi could not believe herself when she heard herself saying that, but it was true.

 

“Kang Seulgi!”

 

Someone just popped Seulgi’s bubble. So, she turned around to find Jisoo stood behind her with a towel on her forearm.

 

“You’ve been running for almost three hours on this treadmill, and look how fast you go.” Jisoo’s eyes were twinkling as she was looking at the tiny screen on the control panel; showing how fast Seulgi was running.

 

Seulgi as surprised that she could go that fast and immediately pushed the emergency stop button, causing her to stumble a bit.

 

Joy suddenly appeared out of nowhere with Yeri. She had a smirk on her face.

 

“Girl, I’m not saying that you should join track team’s try-out this weekend, but that exactly what I said.” She spoke.

 

“But…that would be cheating.” Yeri said.

 

Joy pinched Yeri’s cheeks.

 

“Oh honey, you have so much to learn.”

Jisoo just rolled her eyes and handling the towel to Seulgi as the taller girl mumbled ‘thanks.’

 

“Beside…I haven’t seen you in any extracurricular.” Joy added. “Live a little, we’re not immortal. High school only came around once.”

 

“Well, thank God for that!” Seulgi joked while rubbing her sweat off her face with the towel. They laughed together while walking out of the school gym. It was getting dark so nobody was around anymore except the four of them.

 

But they were wrong.

 

They found themselves looking at a girl with pale skin who was currently staring at the statue of the founder of the school.

 

Joy—being the bold one—she approached the petite girl.

 

“Hello,” she started. “May I help you?”

 

The girl turned around, and Joy was taken aback when she saw her smile.

 

“Oh? It’s all good. I’m just admiring the school around.” She said. “I’m a transfer student. I thought it would be nice if I give myself a little tour.”

 

“Okay…” Joy said, “Well, you better get going before our old-grumpy security locks you inside this school.”

 

The girl smiled sweetly.

 

“Sure.”

 

And just like that, she walked away.

 

The remaining three walked toward Joy’s direction.

 

“What is it?” Jisoo questioned the stunned girl.

 

Joy shrugged.

 

“I’m not sure…” She turned around to meet her friends’ gaze. “Is it just me or that girl really made me shiver?”

 

“No idea. Let’s go.” Jisoo said; while Joy kept staring at the girl’s back who started to vanish as she walked away.

 

---

 

“Seulgi, please! Why won’t you talk to me?!”

 

Here we go again…

 

Seulgi thought. She sighed before putting her books inside her locker. Seulgi was always an early person, but coming school early was a mistake that day because she did not expect herself bumping to Irene in that early morning.

 

Seulgi smiled—no, she actually just stretched her lips, she was not even trying to fake a smile for Irene.

 

“Can you please…get off my way, Irene?” She tried to ask politely. But, Irene was determined, and Seulgi should have known that better than anyone. Seulgi always got this particular scent whenever she met Irene, and she did not like it a single bit. It made her feel uncomfortable.

 

On the other hand, Irene was stunned because she could finally look at Seulgi this long before the other girl usually just walked pass her as if she was not there. Seulgi was taller now, her features were sharp; Irene felt like Seulgi had grown charmingly in a blink of an eye. It made her wonder what happened within those six-months.

 

Seulgi felt like Irene did not move an inch, so she held onto the girl’s shoulders and moved her by herself as she walked away from the older girl.

 

“Seulgi…” Irene mumbled as she was looking at Seulgi’s back that was getting far away from her. “I’m sorry.” She said as if Seulgi could hear it.

 

Then off she went to the restroom because she felt her cheeks were wet; she was crying.

 

---

 

As usual, Jisoo and Seulgi were chatting before the first period started; and as usual, there was Irene who kept glaring at them—mentally boring a hole on Jisoo’s precious face. But she was distracted when Sehun kissed her lips hungrily.

 

When the teacher stepped in, the students immediately went back into their seats. There was a girl, tailing behind him. A familiar girl to Seulgi and Jisoo.

 

“Isn’t that…” Seulgi started.

 

“Yeah…” Jisoo answered. “Yeah, she is.”

 

They were staring until their eyes met the girl’s.

 

Joy was right.

 

Both of them thought.

 

She does make you shiver.

 

The girl did not have any kind of cold vibe or whatsoever. In fact, she looked very cute and beautiful. She looked mixed, for some reasons. But, it was all answered when the girl said that she was transferred from France.

 

“My name is Wendy Son.” She smiled. “But call me Seungwan, and let’s be close.”

 

The class excitedly greeted Wendy, some of them even shouted how beautiful the girl was, and there were some that—poorly—trying to speak in English, made Seulgi—a person who mastered more than three languages rolled her eyes.

 

And my, oh my, the teacher told Wendy to take the empty seat in front of Jisoo and Seulgi as if there were not anymore empty seats.

 

“H-Hi,” Jisoo said when Wendy suddenly turned her head to face them.

 

“I remember you both!” Wendy whispered loudly, “you guys were here that time when I gave myself a school tour.”

 

Both werewolves just nodded, it made Wendy smile.

 

“Well…I hope we can be friend!” The foreigner said before turning her attention back to the teacher.

 

For some reasons, Seulgi swallowed an imaginary lump on , so did Jisoo.

 

---

 

“No way! That girl is in your class?” Joy laughed while taking a bite of her burger.

 

Seulgi just nodded.

 

“She did make us shiver though.” Jisoo added. “Damn, was that her extremely charming smile that makes me feel some type of way?”

 

“Ew, you just sounded so creepy.” Joy was disgusted.

 

“Anyway,” Yeri opened a new topic. “Is Seulgi going to join the try-out after school?”

 

“What try-out?” Seulgi asked. “Ah! That try-out…”

 

Seulgi seemed like trapped in her own thought for a few seconds.

 

“I don’t know…” Seulgi shrugged. “I meant the people there are so fast.”

 

Jisoo nudged her, “well, you have a little boost, right?”

 

“I do?”

 

“My God, Seulgi…I don’t know if you’re dumb or slow…” Joy said, completely frustrated.

 

“Probably both.” Yeri added.

 

“Hey!” Seulgi yelled at the two youngest, “What’s that supposed to mean?!”

 

All of them giggled, except the humiliated Seulgi of course.

 

“Come on. Join them! It would be fun!” Jisoo said. “You have two options! There is track, and the other one is basketball team! Joy and Yeri actually are in basketball team.”

 

“What about you, Jisoo?” Seulgi asked.

 

Jisoo shyly answered, “I actually just joined cheers team.”

 

“Damn, girl.” Joy said, shaking her head.

 

Seulgi was thinking again before Joy disturbed her.

 

“Forget it! I’ve entered her name on the track-team! You’re going to the try-out today!”

 

“What?!” Seulgi shouted, gaining a few attentions in the cafeteria. “Are you mental?” She half-whispered at Joy.

 

“Thank me later. Good luck!” The latter chirped.

 

They diverted their attentions to the table near the entrance of the cafeteria. There was Wendy with a lot of students around her.

 

“Damn…” Joy said, “girl got herself her own fan club.”

 

Jisoo chuckled.

 

“Well, I mean…with a look like that…” She did not continue when she felt Joy’s gaze on her, saying what-the--is-wrong-with-you.

 

But, none of them could deny that Wendy is extremely beautiful. Her mixed look showed it all. Not to mention that the girl was so damn friendly.

 

Seulgi was also staring at Wendy.

 

“Seulgi,” Yeri called her.

 

“Hm?” She quickly turned around to see the younger girl.

 

“Irene is staring at you- Don’t look!”

 

Seulgi scoffed.

 

“You know…” Seulgi spoke, “every time she got close to me, there is this scent that made me feel uncomfortable. But, then again, it was probably the scent of because Sehun and her definitely had done something more than just eating each other’s faces in public.”

 

Woohoo…” Joy laughed, “someone is salty.”

 

Seulgi glared at her.

 

“No,” Jisoo said. “Seulgi is right. And I bet you smelled it too when we encountered her, Joy.”

 

Joy tried to remember, then she snapped her fingers.

 

“Right,” she said. “That’s the smell of despair.” She looked disgusted,

 

“I don’t blame it, Seulgi. We also hate it.”

 

“Wait,” Seulgi said. “You—we can smell her feelings?”

 

Yeri nodded, “not only hers. Everyone! I can even smell Joy’s…but mostly she’s just hungry.”

 

“Stop sniffing me, you little puppy.” Joy said, making the other laughed.

 

Their laugh was disturbed by Wendy’s sudden appearance among them.

 

“Mind if I sit here?” she asked.

 

“Of course not, Wendy!” Jisoo said.

 

Wendy gladly took a seat beside Seulgi. Making the taller girl quivering to her spine. But, she just awkwardly chuckled.

 

Jisoo tried to break the ice, almost felt like literally.

 

“So, Wendy, we were just talking about school clubs.” She spoke, “have you enrolled in one?”

 

Wendy scratched the back of her neck, “I actually have enrolled in two…”

 

“Wow.” Was all Joy could say.

 

“Really?” Jisoo clapped her hands like a seal. “Mind telling us which clubs you’re joining?”

 

Wendy said, “well…I’m joining the musical club, and the track which is having a try-out today.”

 

“Great!” Joy said, “Seulgi here also is going to be at the track try-out today!”

 

“Oh really? That’s good. At least, I know someone from my class.” Wendy looked relief.

 

The bell suddenly ran, signalling them that they have to go back to their own classes.

 

“Well, I’ll see you guys later then. Nice talk, guys!” Wendy said before walking away to class.

 

Joy realised that Yeri just kept quite the whole time Wendy was there.

 

“What is it, Yeri?” Joy asked.

 

Yeri lifted her head up to meat the others’ curious eyes.

 

“You said she makes you shiver,” she said. “I think I figured out why.”

 

“What is it?” Seulgi furrowed. She had the same expression as Jisoo and Joy.

 

“Don’t you all realise?” Yeri asked, a bit in disbelief.

 

“Tell us, Yeri.” Jisoo said.

 

Yeri gulped.

 

“She has no heartbeat.” She said,

 

“I don’t know how you guys didn’t realise this but…that girl right there…she’s not a living…”

 

---