Happy

Blue Moon

Changkyun's POV 

 

"Lim Changkyun!" 

A slap comes across my cheek. The sound is so loud and sharp, I can hear it echoing in my head.

My hand reaches out to touch my stinging cheek. My head hang low as I try to fight back the tears that are forming in my eyes.

​​​​​"I've said this many times and I don't want to keep repeating this to you," I can feel her glare burning a hole in my face.

"My answer is still no and you will never bring up this topic again!" 

I clench my fist and nod my head, still not looking up at her.

She turns around and walk out through the door, probably not returning home till late night or early morning.

I climb the stairs and go into my room. 

It hurts.

I go to my bathroom to wash my face but when I take a look at the mirror, I see a scratch on my cheek with little blood around it.

It's probably from her nails, I thought.

​​I sigh and take out a bandage from the cabinet then place it on the small wound.

"How did it come to this? Just what did I do wrong?" I can't hold back the tears anymore and let them flow down my face. 

In the midst of crying, I heard a call coming from my phone. I quickly wipe away my tears and go to my bed to take my phone.

"Jooheon?" I look at the screen and accept the call.

"Heyyy," Jooheon's loud and cheerful voice comes through.

I chuckle, "Well looks like someone is in a really good mood"

I can imagine his happy face while smiling so big and dimples forming on both his cheeks.

"Changkyun, do you wanna hang out with me?"

"That's sudden, but sure, I'm not doing anything anyway," I reply.

"Awesome, meet me at the playground in 10 minutes!" 

The call ended. 

"At least say your goodbye properly, you fool" I say to the phone although he can't hear me.

With a lazy sigh, I get up to change into a proper outfit which includes jeans and white shirt. Then, I pick a bomber jacket from my wardrobe to complete it in this cold weather.

I take my phone along with some money and walk out the house, not before I lock the door of course. I'm always alone in this house anyway.

It only takes around 5 minutes to reach the playground so I don't bother to walk fast there. I'll just make it on time if I walk slowly.

When the playground comes into view,  I notice that Jooheon is not there yet or any other human beings. I guess nobody wants to go out in this weather.

I decide to sit on the swing while waiting.

 

"Don't you dare do that, Jooheon." I warn when I sense his presence behind me.

"Oh? this isn't fun anymore. How do you know?" Jooheon walks to sit on the swing beside me.

He's pouting like a child who just got scolded.

I laugh, "well, I have a third eye behind my head."

"Shut up," his expression makes me laugh even more.

"Anyway, what happened to your cheek? Are you hurt?"

My laughter stops. I look at Jooheon and touch the spot that has bandage on it.

"No, it's just a mosquito bite," I answer. I force out a smile, my hands fidgeting on my lap.

I can't tell him that my mother slapped me. It's so embarrassing and I don't want to explain further.

Jooheon looks at me a bit longer then he smiles, "Oh okay."

I decide to change the topic.

"Why do you wanna meet here? And what makes you extra happy today, huh?" 

Jooheon just shrugs and push his feet on the ground to move the swing.

"I just feel like meeting you today to share a great news," from the way his face lits up and his mouth forms into a wide smile, I can tell that it's a really great news.

I can't help but smile along too, "What is it?"

"You know,  I'll be studying music in a university! I'm so happy when my application got accepted. I've been dreaming about this for so long."

My eyes go wide and I stare at Jooheon.

Music, huh? I didn't know we share the same dream. If only my parents didn't oppose this then I might be studying with Jooheon too.

"Changkyun, what's wrong?" Jooheon stops his swing and looks at me with concern.

"Ah sorry my mind got distracted for a while. I'm so happy for you. Your dream will become reality," I smile at him.

Jooheon smiles back. Then, he gets up from his swing and stands in front of me.

I look up and stare at him in confusion.

Jooheon raises his hand in front of my face and smiles sheepishly, "Let's go."

I take his hand and he pulls me up from my swing.

"Where are you taking me?"

"Keep your mouth shut and just follow me."

 

After walking a few minutes, we stop in front of an ice cream shop.

"Really? Ice cream in this cold weather?" I say at him.

​​​​​"For your information, there's no specific season to eat ice cream. It all goes by mood," He gives me a smug smile and pats me on the back.

​​​"Now, let's go in!"

 

"Which flavour?" Jooheon asks when it's our turn to order.

I smirk, "enlighten me, Jooheon. Guess which flavour I like the most."

I pat him on his shoulder and walk away to find our seat.

I can see Jooheon working the gears in his head, trying to choose the correct flavour out of 20 others.

Not long after that, Jooheon comes back with two big cups. I really want to know what he picked.

After he sits down, he puts one of the ice cream cups in front of me.

"So? Did I get the right one?" He asks and looks at me nervously.

I take a taste from the ice cream. It's so good.

"You're lucky. If not, you have to order another one."

Jooheon looks so relieved when he knows that he chose the right one.

"I was about to choose chocolate flavour but then not all people is a chocolate fanatic like me so I decided to go with cookies and cream."

I laugh,  "Yeah, I'm not really into chocolate."

We eat our ice cream in a comfortable silence. 

"You're right, it really goes by mood," I say at Jooheon.

"I told you. It's especially good when you're feeling down. I'm glad I brought you here."

I watch Jooheon as he continues to eat his icecream.

He might have noticed my change of mood before and try to cheer me up.

"Hey, Jooheon."

He looks up from his ice cream and pay attention to me, "Yeah?"

"Thank you," I say sincerely.

I honestly don't know what I would do without him. Maybe just staying in my room alone.

Jooheon breaks out into a full grin showing his dimples. 

At this moment, I thought, I'm glad I met him.​​