4th Night

Red Queen

“Grandpa?” Tailong saw his grandfather dazed looking at the fire pit. The old man seemed to snap when the child called him.

“Is it about time for story?” The boy nodded and sat to his usual place.

“Alright.”

~*5*~

 

Kris just turned seventeen, the time for the new Queen to be crowned as well. The whole kingdom prepared for this occasion, which was also her fifteenth birthday.

And yet, although this day was planned for a long time, and repeatedly practiced the marches for the ceremony, they could not control one issue — Chanyeol was nowhere to be found and he had been gone for a month.

Sehun had a worse case, before he was riding a horse along his nine other fellow White Knights like at this moment, he was gone for a year that none of the members knew the reason. The officials might have known it since he resumed his duty a week ago as if nothing happened. Kris could not help but wonder if these two were a member of a noble clan to receive such treatment.

Kris cleared his mind from contemplating those stuff and focused on marching, along with his comrades and the young lady behind him. These rookie knights wore white uniforms that had red collars and cuffs, with gold linings on them. Each of them had a role in this ceremony, like him, he was the one that should ride the unicorn, which he did not know really existed, and led the march.

The young lady riding along him was composed, showing that she fit the title that would be given to her. Her hands were warm and holding Kris’ side, and this boy was opposite to what she was showing, he was nervous.

Of all the knights, they chose him as the Crown Princess’ main for the horse ride and Suho for the rest of her procession in this ceremony. Kris had no intention to turn his head and glance at the heiress because it would be disrespectful.

Honestly, Kris had little knowledge of her. The things he only knew were her power in this society and her age. Her face, her real name, her personality — they were still a mystery to him and to his comrades.

The coronation began that noon from her place — the Yellow Palace, to his parents’ — the Red Palace, and now they were heading to the last venue. The White Palace.

There were five palaces in this kingdom. The center was called the White Palace, the biggest and the main place where the Kings or Queens lived, along with their husbands or wives and children if they have one, and their royal knights. These loyal servants could be found in its west wing. In the East, there the Yellow Palace stood — the home for Crown Prince or Princess. On the Northeast, it was the Green Palace, where the extended royal family lived. On the Northwest, the Red Palace was where the former rulers stayed. The White King and the Red Queen could not leave this place at the time of the ceremony but could wait for their daughter to pass the throne. The last Palace, on the west, was called Blue Palace; this was built to accommodate any important guest.

Back to the journey, the crowd was waiting in front of the main palace, cheering the new ruler with music and flowers. Kris wondered if the New Queen was responding with their heartfelt welcome, at least a wave, but he guessed she was too still to do so.

“Your Majesty.” Suho offered his hand to the young lady at Kris’ back. She was gently placed down and they walked the aisle of the entrance. The new Queen, wearing a red luxurious dress, hiding in the black veil, had a tall golden crown on her head, walked ahead of Suho.

“Kris, I hope you can sense that it’s about time to get off from me.” The unicorn said and he obediently did what was asked. The mystical creature glowed in white and transformed into a person, wearing the same uniform as the White Knights. Lay appeared before Kris.

Lay winced as he stretched his body, while Kris glared at him so he stopped his unethical gesture. “But, you’re so heavy, both of you.” Kris quickly hushed him and he shrugged. “I’m just kidding in the Queen’s part. It is my pleasure to transform for her and take her anywhere.”

 

Lay brightly grinned as he gestured Kris to lead the path, and the rest let him overtook until he had the same distance with Suho behind the Queen. They both had a golden medallion due to their appointment as the leaders earlier in the Red Palace.

The Royal White Knights would be divided into two groups, Suho would be the east captain and Kris would take the west. The west group’s job would be mostly outside and their counterpart was internal.

 

Xiumin stood in front of the White Palace while the Queen was just right behind. He announced that he was the official speaker for her and told her proposal once she ruled the country. Xiumin ended his speech by informing everyone to salute the new Red Queen.

 

“Long Live The Queen!” Every citizen said and the Queen made a short bow before going inside her new home. The celebration was just beginning.

 

The White Knight got into the palace as well and the Red Queen was no longer in the hall anymore. When she returned with a new outfit, but still in crimson colour and her face hidden in her black veil, she went towards her knights to congratulate them. One by one the Red Queen exchanged bows to her Royal White Knights, starting with her assigned captains. All received her blessing, even the last person in the line. Chanyeol.

The whole group was dumbfounded by his sudden appearance but he interacted with the Queen as if nothing happened.

“I’ll serve this country with my whole heart, Your Majesty.” Chanyeol kissed the back of her hand and she walked away, to the throne.

 

~~~

 

“Are you really this important, appearing and disappearing whenever you like?” Baekhyun pulled his ear and he simply responded with infectious laughter. Since it did not affect him, Chen joined in pulling the other ear and still received the same reaction.

“Chanyeol.” The duo stopped bullying him when Kris interrupted them. They moved to the side and fused with the other White Knights who were having fun in the banquet — full of music, dance, and food.

The boy’s cheeks blushed as Kris came closer to him.

“Hyung,” he bashfully said, “I’m sor—”

“Are you doing well?” Chanyeol looked surprised but he nodded.

“I-I-I promise I will not be missing again.” The boy stuttered.

“I hope that’s true.”

“It is!” Chanyeol’s voice got high so his face became redder. They chuckled at it.

The pair mutually joined the rest of their comrades and watched the performers at the center of the hall. The Queen was firmed at her throne, presented with dishes specially made for her.

 

And later, everyone went outside to view the bright and colourful fireworks.

 

It was an unforgettable night. The twelve knights were together along with their beloved Red Queen. Magic was allowed to display, with the purpose to make people awe.

 

~*End*~

 

“It must be fun to be there, right Grandpa?” Tailong said.

“Of course.” The old man said. “The banquet was exclusive for the nobles, the Red Queen’s family, and knights.”

“Were her parents invited?” His grandfather shook his head.

“They could only visit her after a week from the coronation.”

“That was sad.” Tailong said and there was his grandfather’s kind laughter again. “When father was in the throne, you’re not banned on that day, right Grandpa?”

“That’s right.” His grandfather chuckled, then kissed his forehead as a sign that this story time was over for the night.

A/N

I hope you didn't skip the previous chapter. How's you reading so far? Please do comment to boost up the update.