6th Night

Red Queen

~*7*~

 

The White Knights fought more of the enemy troops every single day, and they were able to defeat those with just twelve of them.

 

The other kingdom retreated, at last, taking it as a win for Bonghuang. And with pride and glory, the young heroes returned to their country.

 

Dawn when the boys went back to the White Palace, they were not expecting a pile of people to welcome them at that time of day, until they arrive at its entrance.

“Chanyeol!” A woman hooded in a black robe embraced the tall redhead boy, who was stunned at the sudden contact. He was dragged away from his colleagues, heading to the west and some soldiers went after them.

“Minseok.” General Kang’s firm voice called the eldest which made him gulp in fear. The strong officer gestured him to come close and he nervously obliged. Xiumin squirmed after receiving a bear hug from him.

“Father, stop!” Xiumin looked so adorable while in the arms of this adult. So he was the son of one legendary war hero.

Kris watched as the rest of the Bonghuang natives reunited with their loved ones. Suho’s father was there too and he was no other than Prince Won — a Blue Knight and the toughest of them all.

All of them were still at the entrance, except Chanyeol who was taken by a mysterious lady, and Sehun. He was gone out of the blue.

Kris did not waste thinking about them since it had been habitual for Chanyeol and Sehun to disappear. He turned his attention instead to the one who was sniffing next to him. Of course, because Tao was the youngest foreigner in their group, he was obviously envious that his Bonghuang native fellows had the privilege to meet their family again.

Kris could not help but remember his mother in this situation. He and the rest of his countrymen were not allowed to send any message to the loved ones they left in their hometowns, which sounded cruel to anyone.

Before he could start pitying himself and his other colleague, General Yesung approached the four boys from Lóng.

 

“The Queen summons you.” He shortly said.

 

 

~~~

 

It seemed it had been long since the last they had a walk on the path to the throne. There waiting, the Red Queen along with her father, the retired king, they did not expect his appearance at all.

 

“Four of the White Knights have arrived — Lord Kris, Lord Luhan, Lord Lay, and Lord Tao.” King Teuk turned around to face them as he heard that echoing announcement, offering a beautiful and kind smile. This was the second time Kris met the former ruler, the first one was in the Red Palace on Coronation Day. He looked youthful for his age that no one would think he was more than a thousand years old.

They had lined and kneeled before him, each boy kissing the back of his hand as he met them.

 

“We are glad to see you safe, my children,” he said returning in front of Kris, with a voice so graceful and heavenly, as if he was embracing his listener warmly. “The reason we have called you is to give your team another mission.”

The boys might not want to appear rude, secretly exchanging eye contact with each other. Kris could sense they were thinking the same thing — that they had not fully recovered yet from the previous mission, and yet, another one came.

The light laughter coming from King Teuk interrupted their weariness, making them focus on him.

“I apologize if this surprise you but don’t worry, the East Team will also have a job simultaneous to what will be given to you,” he assured. “This will be an easier one. Lóng is a huge country, larger than Bonghuang. You need to go to its capital to represent us for the alliance we are building with them.”

It seemed like there were angels singing and trumpets played in the background after they heard their mission. Lóng was Kris, Luhan, Lay, and Tao’s birthplace which was why they suddenly felt bliss.

“Lord Kris,” King Teuk called which was attended by their leader immediately.

“Yes, Your Majesty.”

“I want you to lead this well since this will be a sensitive task.” Without having a second thought, Kris nodded. “I taught my daughter that war is not only the answer for a successful rule — she needs to make friends as well. Good thing she is humble to listen to my suggestion that’s why you have this mission.”

The Red Queen remained unmoved in her seat even though she was mentioned by her father. Kris wondered if she was smiling behind that mask.

“Now, since this will be short, we will give you the privilege to have a vacation there. You may visit each of your hometowns if you desire.” Tao started crying again hearing that good news, as well as Luhan, and Lay. Kris was different from them since he left his mother in Wēngēhuá, a place about six thousand miles away from Lóng. He was dying to see her again, but he was reluctant to ask if he could go back to that town.

While they were occupied with the vacation they would get, it was late for Kris to notice that the King’s smile became smaller, like he was saddened. It seemed King Teuk noticed his gaze too so he put his bright expression on once more and said his last words.

“I would like to remind you that the vacation may affect your perspective in our kingdom.” He was smiling but his tone was a bit serious, killing the excitement of the boys. “It’s better to know the truth this early. Rest well and tomorrow morning, you will leave for this new journey.”

 

The Red Queen rose from her throne, giving a small bow to her men, before walking away along with her father.

 

The boys were tense after that, but Lay who was the clown of their group cheered his fellow. As they moved on to their quarters, Kris was still thinking about what the King had said, puzzled by it.

 

~*End*~

 

Tailong sat on their usual chair, anticipating what would come next to his grandfather’s story about the White Knights, but the fire on the pit just weakened, the old man did not appear at all.

 

The boy was saddened by the time he wasted in waiting. Disappointed, he went to his grandfather’s room to check on him, finding the old man peacefully resting on his bed. He must not be feeling well the reason he could not tell a new story to his grandchild. So Tailong headed to his own room, calling it a day.