A Rivalry is Born

Iron Flag Princess

Training with the new “brothers” was going smoothly and they were learning quite quickly.  We decided to wait awhile before deciding if they should become our sworn blood brothers.  We needed to know whether or not they could withstand my father’s punishments but most importantly if they could be trusted.

 

Monkey and I tested them by pulling pranks and not telling them everything they needed to know for chores. They never told my father about the pranks but accepted the punishments they were given.  


 

A few months after our newest “brothers” had joined our family my father was still turning away young men who wanted to join our clan.  He decided to hire a few young men to work as servants and train them in basic martial arts.  They would be trained with swords to protect the compound but not with the flags. Only the inner circle would train with flags.


 

Training sessions were usually broken into two sessions as the four newest students practiced separately from Tiger, Leopard, Monkey, and I.   We practiced early in the morning while the younger students did chores around the compound. When we finished training, dad worked with them and Tiger, Leopard and Monkey worked alone with the flags.  Dai Cong, Liu Heng, Lu Biao and Wong Wa would not use flags for a long time. Later in the day, all the boys would practice together under the guidance of Cao Feng while my father completed his business dealings in town.

 

Just as our morning practice was about to begin, a servant came in to announce the arrival of, the owner of one of the fabric mills in our town.  It was very unusual for one of the business owners to visit our home so early in the day. This could mean something troubling has happened and needed my father’s immediate attention.

 

“Cao Feng,” my father called his most senior student to come to his side.  We all expected my father to leave Tiger in charge of our practice but what he said next was very surprising.  “Luo Xin, you are in charge of the younger students today. Cao Feng will go with me to conduct business.”

 

Father and Cao Feng left the practice courtyard and headed toward the meeting hall to talk with.  The rest of us began practice but were so unfocused and curious about what had just happened that we talked more than practiced.  

 

“Why did Mr. Wang come so early to discuss business?” Luo Xin spoke the question that was on all our minds.  “What was so important that it could not wait until the afternoon?”

 

“Do you think more foreigners have come to town?” I asked.  The memory of the last time businessmen came to our home so early in the day was still fresh in our minds.  Luo Xin lost his parents to the illness the foreigners brought and I lost my precious mother.  I was sure this visit was the beginning of more bad news.

 

“We will have to wait and see,”  Yuan Lang stated matter of factly.  “It’s a good thing Tiger went with Uncle.  He will share all the details when he returns.”

 

The day passed slowly as we waited for our eldest brother to return with details of his excursion with my father.  The midday meal came and went without the return of my father or Tiger.  It was almost dinner time when the pair returned to the house and neither looked happy or excited.  My father’s expression was unreadable but Tiger looked worried.   No one dared to ask any questions and dinner was silent and gloomy.

 

“Kids, I will retire to my study for the rest of the evening,” Dad announced as we were finishing up our meal. “ Don’t stay up late.  Practice will begin early as we missed a lot today.”

 

“Yes sir,” we all said in unison. We were in a hurry to get to our favorite spot to discuss the day’s events with Cao Feng.  We knew that if dad was going to spend time in the study talking with Mr. Ho, he was concerned about something serious.

 

When we arrived in the courtyard with the pavilion and koi pond, Ping Ping had already been there.  She set out sweet treats and tea for us to enjoy and my flute was awaiting me in my normal spot, the bench directly across from the entrance.

 

“A new school has opened on the other side of town,” Tiger began as we sat down.  He couldn’t wait to tell us everything he learned on his outing.” They are called Eagle Hall and the chief is Mi Jui Gao.”

 

“What is the big deal about a new school opening up?” Yuan Lang asked the question we were all thinking.  “Now people will have a choice.”

 

The new school also wants to open new businesses.” Tiger continued.  “The businesses are immoral and will bring shady characters to our town.  Chief Tieh was able to convince Chief Mi to not open the businesses right away, but Chief Mi doesn’t seem to be a righteous man.”

 

“How many students do they have?” Luo Xin asked. “Is it a large school or small?”

 

“Right now there are only 2 students,” Tiger replied as he stood up and began pacing in the pavilion.  He was weighing how much of what he saw and heard he was going to relay to us.  “The most senior student is Gao Deng who he introduced as the Fierce Eagle.  Chen Xiang, the Flying Eagle is the other student.”

 

“Why were you gone all day?” I queried.  This information didn’t warrant my dad and Cao Feng spending so much time at the new school.  

 

“Chief Mi was explaining that in a week, he will have a formal banquet to introduce his school to the town.  He asked your dad’s permission to do so and for any advice on how to recruit students.”

 

“He does not want to offend your father so his business is successful,” Monkey surmised.  

 

*************

 

At the formal banquet, Eagle Hall was introduced to our town.  My father allowed me to attend the elaborate dinner at the new school.  Festive red lanterns and many symbols of good luck decorated the dining hall.  Eagles in various poses were tastefully mingled in with the decorations.  I was surprised at how lovely everything was given there did not seem to be any women servants in Eagle Hall.

 

We sat at the head table with Mi and his two students.  After my father introduced Leopard, Monkey and me to Chief Mi and his students, talk turned to the happenings of the town and personal stories.  We learned Chief Mi never married and was a member of a security detail for some high ranking officials in a neighboring county.  He decided to form a school as a way to retire and leave the dangers of his post.  Gao Deng and Chen Xiang worked and studied under him for years.  The school was not going to be his only business in town but he wasn’t quite sure what business he wanted to start.

 

“You have a lovely and well-mannered daughter,” Chief Mi complimented my father on how well he has brought me up.

 

“Her mother gets all the credit,” my father stated.  “My wife was a wonderful woman.  My daughter is a wonderful young lady and her martial arts skill is not bad either.”

 

I blushed and lowered my head as my father complimented me.  

 

“Your daughter knows kung fu?” Gao Deng snorted rudely. “I would like to see that.”

 

Chief Mi was embarrassed by his student’s behavior and immediately asked him to apologize.

 

“I am sorry.  I just don’t know any girls who practice a martial art.”

 

“A girl should know how to protect herself,” my father sternly replied. He was not satisfied with the apology.  “I invite you to come to our school for a demonstration.  She can prove how good she is.”

 

“That won’t be necessary, Chief Tieh,” Chief Mi said politely trying to undo the harm his senior student has done.  “I am quite sure being taught by such a hero, your daughter is quite accomplished in her martial art.”

 

The rest of the evening went well as in between the five courses the Eagles visited the other tables to speak with other important members of the town.  We talked amongst ourselves when they were away and came to the conclusion that Chief Mi and Gao Deng needed to be watched.  Chen Xiang was just a follower.  We were not going to trust them as far as we could throw them.