More New Students

Iron Flag Princess

After we had been home a few month, a rumor began to spread like wildfire across the county in which we lived. Hero Tieh Lin had opened a school and was taking in students.  Poor and rich families were beginning to bring their sons, especially the wayward ones, to our compound in the hopes that their son would be accepted into our clan.

 

Even though our compound was large, my father decided he needed to be selective in choosing the boys who would learn our family’s martial arts under his tutelage.  He decided to admit those students who were intelligent, brave of heart and of strong moral character as well as being physically capable.  He put his would be students through various tests of observation skills, bravery, endurance, intelligence, and obedience.  Money couldn’t buy a student’s place in this school as we already possessed wealth beyond measure.  My father was looking for the most righteous of young men.

 

 

“Who spread the rumor of dad opening a school,” I wondered out loud to my sworn brothers as we headed toward the courtyard to await our martial lessons for the day.

 

Cao Feng furrowed his brow in deep thought before speaking.  “It’s not a true rumor,”

he began slowly as the pieces of a mental puzzle were coming to his mind.  “Maybe people invented the rumor to explain why Luo Xin, Yuan Lang and I came to live here.  Our stories aren’t common knowledge.”

 

“That could be true,” Luo Xin readily agreed with his older martial brother.  “The only story the people of our town know for sure is mine. But some families are not from our town.”

 

“Maybe the mean matchmaker let it come out that Yuan Lang was sent away,” I interjected.

 

“Who knows,” Yuan Lang said as he shrugged his shoulders.  I could see a sadness falling over his usually joyful face.  I could tell he was missing his family even if he wouldn’t admit it to anyone.

 

When my father joined us in the training courtyard he was accompanied by 10 boys ranging in age from 7 to 15.  There were older boys interested but my father dismissed them because he thought they were past the prime age to begin instruction. He also discovered some of the older boys had been thrown out of other schools for various reasons including rule breaking and disrespecting elders.

At first glance, one would suspect the potential  students were physically strong and able to do  the basic chores such as carrying buckets of water from one end of the compound to the kitchen without spilling much water or chopping wood.  Two of the boys were asked to leave after the physical part of the test, narrowing it down to the 10 who were now in the courtyard.

 

“For a test of bravery, each of you must stand in front of the board as my daughter throws darts at you,”  my father stated simply.  “If you move off your spot, duck or flinch you will immediately be disqualified and asked to leave.”

 

Oh good, I thought to myself.  I was going to have an important part in choosing my classmates.

 

“This should be interesting,” Yuan Lang joked with the boys.  “Her aim is terrible!”

 

The youngest boy began to cry and the other boy's’ eyes became as large as saucers at this statement. Cao Feng, Luo Xin and I tried our best not to laugh at the scare tactic Yuan Lang was using at my father’s direction.  

 

“Lang’er!” my father exclaimed.  “Go to your room. I’ll deal with you later!”

 

Yuan Lang escorted the youngest back to the greeting hall where his parents waited for him.

 

 

Each of the 9 remaining boys stood in front of the board and faced my darts as I threw them. Each dart landed dangerously close to the target’s vital points without hitting him.  Two more boys were eliminated leaving just 7 to go on to the next task.

 

“I would like you boys to go to the meeting hall and wait for the next task,” my father gave the next order. Two servants came to the dwindling group back to their parents. My father also left the courtyard to prepare.

 

“What will be the next task?” Cao Feng asked.

 

We all became lost in our own thoughts. The remaining tasks should test intelligence, observation, and moral character. I knew each of these skills could be combined into one task to save time. The rest of the day was going to be interesting.

 

Since my father was busy preparing for the next task, Cao Feng was left in charge of our practice. He paired us off for hand to hand combat. Usually, I was paired with Yuan Lang but today Luo Xin was my partner. Cao and Yuan would spar.

 

“I thought it would be fun to practice with different partners today,” Cao stated with a smile on his face. “Remember not to hurt each other.”

 

I turned to face Leopard who was smiling and blushing at the same time.  It wasn't hot so I don't understand why his cheeks were rosy.

 

“Princess,” Leopard greeted me as he bowed in the traditional Jiang greeting. Then he positioned himself in a Tiger stance. His left foot was forward, slightly bent leg with just the toes touching the floor. His right leg was also bent.

 

I chose an Eagle Claw stance to defend myself. I bent low to the ground. My right leg was stretched straight out and my left leg was bent. My arms were straight out like wings.

 

Leopard attacked by throwing punches as he came forward. I brought my arms forward to block his strikes and used all my power to push him forward but he didn't budge. I brought my arms down, twisted my torso bringing my right leg around and tried to trip him. That also didn't work.  As I was moving, so was he. Leopard jumped over my leg and extended his left leg to kick me. I was fast enough to bend backward into a bridge. As I lifted legs off the ground, I flipped and barely managed to kick him in the back. My shoe left a slight print. I whirled around in time to escape his left-hand punching backward.

 

We playfully battled each other for about an hour switching partners occasionally. I didn’t like sparring with Tiger as he was the best and most serious.  He never ever allowed me to get the better of him.  Monkey and Leopard tried to help me by not fighting so hard.

 

“Li-Li, come,”Ping-Ping called from the entrance.  “Boys, Chief is asking for you to join him and the others in the meeting hall.”

 

How lucky they were to be able to participate more in the selection of the new students.  When I saw Ping-Ping, I knew it was time for girlie lessons.  I wouldn’t see my brothers until dinner time. Ugh! This time is going to pass slowly I thought to myself as I followed my maidservant to the room we used to sew, read literature, practice my flute and other skills that would make me a proper wife.  

“Why can’t I go with my brothers?” I asked as I pouted.  My sad face usually had all the servants eating out of my hands.  Leopard and Monkey also gave into me if I used this face. Cao Feng and my father were different and able to resist.  I knew how to win over my father.  I pleaded and reasoned with him and then gave him time.  Eventually, he would come around.  I was still trying to figure out Tiger.

 

 

“Your father didn’t request you, He is still selecting the new students. You did your part for today.”

 

“It’s not fair.” I continued to pout.  “These girlie lessons are boring.  Can’t we do something else?”

 

Ping-Ping nodded her head in what seemed like agreement with me.  She must have come up with an idea as we changed the direction of our travels.  We were headed toward the kitchen instead of the usual room.

 

“We will start your cooking lessons,” she smiled as we entered the kitchen.  

 

She taught me to wash and chop the vegetables and how to gut and prepare a fish.  I would learn to keep my mouth closed one of these days. Complaining helped me into this mess, maybe sweet talk could get me out of it.

 

Unable to talk my way out of the kitchen, I helped the cook prepare our midday meal.  Ping-Ping left us to finish taking care of the other morning chores.  When we had finished, I went back to my room to freshen up before joining my family for our meal.  I was anxious to find out if any of the 9 young men had been selected to join our clan.

 

As I hurriedly made my way back to my bedchamber, I saw Tiger, Monkey, and Leopard escorting two young men around the compound.  They were telling them where they could and could not go.  Only two were chosen I thought to myself.  This is going to be an interesting meal.

 

“Princess, come and meet the new students,” my father called to me as I passed the meeting hall.  He was pointing to 4 young men standing to his right.  I recognized the 2 who toured the compound with my brothers but the other 2 were new.  I did remember them from the dart throwing test.  

 

 

The boys were named Dai Cong, Liu Heng, Lu Biao and Wong Wa.  Although they were younger than Monkey and I by a year, the 4 young men were already taller than I was.  I guess we were going to need a larger dining table.