Reunited

Iron Flag Princess

This became our morning ritual until the day I awoke earlier than usual as a wave a nausea gripped me as I turned from my side to my back. I sat straight up which awakened Tiger to full alert.  

 

“What’s wrong?” he inquired as he quickly scanned the room and I climbed over him to exit our bed.

 

I ran into the next room and emptied the contents of my stomach into the chamber pot. There wasn’t much of last night’s late dinner left to remove. The smell of the chamber pot triggered my stomach once again to lurch. When I had finished, I grabbed the water pitcher from the table and poured a little water into a cup so I could rinse my mouth before returning to bed.

 

Cao stood in the doorway with a worried look on his face and fully clothed. He was on his way out to fetch the doctor.

 

“I am fine. It must be something I ate last night.” I smiled at him to reassure him that I wasn’t seriously ill. I wrapped my arms around him and gently pulled him into our bed. I tried to get him to undress but he refused, wanting to be ready to seek medical attention should I need it. We slept peacefully for the next few hours.


 

“You can’t go in there without being announced,” Lui Heng was shouting at an approaching Gao Deng. “Chief Cao does not like to be disturbed when he is having meals with Lady Cao!”

 

Gao Deng marched unabashedly into the dining hall where Tiger and I were enjoying our midday meal. The arrogant Eagle had no manners! This was not the first time he disobeyed orders and brought business into this house as an uninvited guest. Chen Xiang at least was obedient and only showed up on our door when asked to come.  

 

“How dare you enter without permission,” I spat before Cao had a chance to respond. “You are not welcome in this house unless you are asked to come.”

 

“As a member of the Iron Flag Clan, I can come when I wish,” he retorted with a scowl on his face. There were no warm feelings between this despicable man and I. He always thought he was better than us even with his running of immoral businesses. Cao only allowed the businesses to continue until we found a way to provide jobs for the workers and create new businesses.

 

“You will never be a member of the Iron Flag Clan,” I announced as I stood from my seat. “You will never be a righteous hero or even a decent man. You are unqualified to carry the Iron Flag Banner.” Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Tiger smirking as I spoke. He also despised Gao Deng and I am sure he is plotting his demise.

 

“You !” Gao Deng snarled in my direction. “The Iron Tiger should teach his Tigress the proper way to speak to a man. Good thing you aren’t my wife.”

 

The Tiger pounced at the Eagle. In the blink of an eye, the two men were fighting bare handed in the dining hall. Tiger easily got the best of Gao and forced him to apologize before he tossed him out of the room and ordered the junior brothers to him back to the gambling hall where he belonged.  

 

“His days are numbered,” Tiger assured me as we sat back down to finish our meal. His angry face softened as he began to eat his meal again. “I’ll go find out what he wanted when I am finished here. You aren’t looking well Princess. You need to go lie down and rest. I’ll send the doctor to check on you.”

 

“I am fine. Don’t worry about…” I couldn’t finish my sentence as my stomach began to lurch again. I covered my mouth and ran out the room to find something I could release my meal into for the second time today. What was going on with me? The last few days, my stomach was constantly upset so much that I couldn’t do any of the chores that brought me close to the kitchen. I never knew what smells coming from there would cause my stomach to flip like Monkey practicing some elaborate maneuver in battle. The thought of my cousin brought instant sadness to me as I wondered where he and Leopard were and what they were doing. As I made my way back to my bedroom I said silent prayers for both brothers to make a safe and quick return.  



 

“Should I tell Chief Cao or will you?” Dr. Chin Su asked as he finished his examination.

 

“I’ll tell him when he returns.” I thanked the doctor for coming and escorted him out of the room. “He will be very happy to know that all is well and there no need to be concerned.”  

 

Ping-Ping paid Dr. Chin for his services as she continued to him out of the house. When she returned she smiled a knowing smile. She gathered me into her arms and hugged me tight. We both began to cry tears of joy.

 

“I have more good news to tell you.” Ping-Ping began. “Luo Xin and Yuan Lang have been sighted in town today. I think this is why Gao Deng barged into the dining hall today. Your brothers have come home and the family will soon be reunited.”


 

We embraced again and cried just a little longer. I asked Ping-Ping to get their rooms ready in anticipation of their return. I wanted them to feel welcomed after being gone for almost 6 months in Leopard’s case and 3 for Monkey. I wanted them to know that they were loved and missed by having their favorite foods prepared and wine ready for a joyous celebration. So much good news in one day!

 

When my loving servant left the room, I washed my face to hide the fact that I had been crying from my love who would return shortly. I went to my wardrobe and pulled out a small red box. The contents of which I had been working on since the day after we married 6 weeks ago. I am glad I started it then because I would have never finished them in time to present to Tiger today. I just put the finishing touches on them after breakfast this morning. I couldn’t wait to give this gift to my beloved!


 

As I approached the main hall, I heard the familiar voice of Leopard speaking to Tiger.

 

“No need to prepare a room for me or give me money. I have been to the gambling house and won plenty of money and a house,” Leopard stated. “ I thought you already knew.”

 

“Brother Luo, you should have come home immediately upon your return,” Tiger said sounding slightly offended.

 

“I didn’t return because of rumors I have heard. If our clan is in control of Eagle Hall, why are the brothel and gambling house still open? The point of eradicating their group was to rid our town of the immoral businesses and helping their men turn over a new leaf.”

 

“As the Chief, there are many responsibilities and many people to take care of. I didn’t want to close the businesses until everyone has found another job. As you are right, I will ask them to shut down the business by the end of the month. Those who do not obey will suffer harsh consequences.”

 

“On to other matters. I only received money twice while I was gone and 10 assassins came after me. What is this all about?”

 

“Really? I believe it could be Gao Deng and Chen Xiang? I cannot trust these two. I’ll take care of them.” Tiger was as shocked as I was at the things Leopard was saying.  

 

Could the 2 Eagles be plotting against our clan? I bet they are deeply involved in my father’s murder. I wouldn’t be surprised if Gao Deng had paid the White Robed Rambler to kill my father in hopes that one day he could exterminate my three brothers and rule over both clans. I continued to listen to the conversation from my hiding place in the next room.

 

Tiger turned his attention to Mr. Hu. “Why has Brother Luo only received money twice?”

 

“I send money monthly from the bank. I’ll go to find out why,” Mr. Hu replied nervously.  

 

“Since neither of you knew of these matters and I have returned safely, we must take care of the most important matter of our teacher’s death,” Leopard continued.  “Who do you think killed our master?”

 

My back stiffened and my ears perked up as the subject turned to my father’s death. I didn’t know if I should enter the room and have the subject changed or stay hidden in my spot. I wanted to know this information but I wasn’t sure I was ready to hear it. I was frozen in place.

 

“The case is still unresolved and no new clues have come up in the investigation,” Tiger responded sternly as he stood from his chair. “What information have you gathered?”

 

“The Rambler himself told me he killed our teacher.”

 

Everyone in the room became more tense and angry at this revelation.

 

“Really? Since he has admitted this to you, have you avenged our teacher?” My husband inquired of his younger brother angrily.

 

“No,” was Leopard’s reply which now raised my ire toward my second oldest brother.

 

“Brother Luo?”

 

“He said there is someone else behind the plot.”

 

“Who?” The one question going through all our minds was about to be answered.

 

“You!” Leopard exclaimed pointing a finger at my beloved. “You are the one who plotted to kill our teacher.”

 

“We have been brothers for years,” Tiger said defiantly at his accuser. “If you could believe the words of an assassin you have known for a short time, I have no more to say to you.” Tiger turned his back on his brother. He had no more to say to these claims he thought were ridiculous.

 

“I didn’t say I believed him. It is just what the Rambler said.”

 

Tiger turned to face his sworn brother again satisfied the younger man was still on his side.

 

“This grave matter must be resolved immediately! Bring the Rambler here so we can resolve this case. If it is found that I am responsible for our teacher’s death, I will accept just punishment. However, if the Rambler is trying to cause a rift amongst our clan and cause us to fight, we must avenge our teacher.”

 

“Of course,” Leopard said as he his heel and left the compound once again.

 

“Everyone must stay here and wait for Brother Luo to return with the Rambler!” Tiger commanded before he left the main hall and walked purposefully into the room I was stationed.  

 

He was shocked to see me standing in the doorway holding a small red gift box.

 

“How much did you hear?” he asked as the color drained from his face. He realized I must have been in the room for awhile because I was crying. He tried to embrace me but I pushed him away. Instead, I shoved the box in his hands and ran toward our bedroom.

 

My head was swimming with all this new information. I needed more answers to the thousands of questions that began to flood my mind. Ping-Ping followed me to my room and closed the door behind us. She was confused on how my mood had changed so quickly from joyous earlier in the afternoon to devastated a few hours later.

 

I relayed the whole sordid conversation between Tiger and Leopard to her in between sobs and gasps for air. When I calmed down I asked her to find Leopard and ask him to meet me at my father’s grave. I wanted to give him his letter and find out more information about the night my father died. I was sure the letter contained information that could help solve this case.

 

I grabbed my black hooded cape and tied it around my neck before walking out our bedroom into the outer room. Cao was standing in the doorway with a strange look upon his face. The small red box was still in his hands. It looked as if he never opened it. He crossed the room and placed the box on the table.

 

“Where are you going?” he asked bewildered. “I can explain everything to you.”

 

“I am going out. I want to be with my parents. I need to be away from you.” I said the words in almost a whisper but I knew the words stung him by his pained expression.

 

“I’ll send a junior flag bearer to go with you.”

 

“Tell Dai Cong to meet me at the back entrance,” I said as I walked out the door. I chose Dai Cong because I trusted him. He has a strong loyalty to our clan as does Lui Heng. The other two, I wasn’t sure of as they spent time with Gao Deng and Cheng Xiang on a regular basis.

 

Dai Cong and I walked to the peach grove where Luo Xin was waiting for me. Before we arrived at our destination I asked Dai to promise me to not repeat anything he heard or saw today. It was very important that he didn’t even tell Lui Heng about this. He cautiously swore to keep my secret.

 

Brother Luo was kneeling at the grave of my father paying his respects when I approached. He stood when he heard my footsteps behind him.

 

“Why did you ask me here?” Leopard asked. “Does it have anything to do with the letter your father wrote to me or the the fact that Brother Cao might be the one who planned his murder?”

 

“Both,” I said. “I believe the letter may contain information to point us in the right direction. It may give us clues as to why Cao wanted my father dead if he is in fact behind this. Where’s Monkey?”

 

“He’s scouting around to make sure you weren’t followed.” Leopard quickly opened the letter and began to read it silently.

 

“Your father did in fact think Cao was up to something more sinister that night.” Leopard began. “The letter states that he wanted me to lead the clan after he was gone.  He thought it best if an unmarried man was in charge. Teacher must have talked with Cao about this before the night we went to Eagle Hall. This explains why Chief was looking at me after Cao asked him who would be in charge after he died. Cao stepped in front of me to ensure teacher’s gaze was on him. The teacher said “You” in almost an accusatory way. I think he realized in that moment Cao was the one who plotted his murder.”

 

“But why would father want an unmarried man to lead the clan?” I asked puzzled about this new piece of information. “Everyone assumed whoever married me would take over the clan upon my father’s retirement or death. Since Tiger was betrothed to me and the most senior student, the position would pass onto him.”

 

“Remember a few months before his death, teacher and Cao sought out the men who killed Cao’s father?”

 

“How could I forget? Even though they were successful in their mission of vengeance, Cao barely came back alive. He lingered near death for 2 days.”

 

They were among the worst days of my life. The only days that were worse was the day my mother died and the day my father was murdered. When the carriage arrived at our home, Cao’s breathing was so shallow I thought he was dead. The brothers carried his almost lifeless body to his room as Ping-Ping went to fetch the doctor. His wounds had been cleaned and dressed by a doctor in the town they had sought vengeance. My father did not trust him and against orders brought Cao Feng back home to be treated.

 

His usually glowing complexion was pale and his skin was cold and clammy to the touch. I wiped his brow with a clean towel and cool water as I whispered through my tears, “please don’t leave me,” over and over again. I didn’t think I could survive the death of the man I loved.

 

I stayed by his bedside day and night applying the medications to his wounds and changing the bandages. I lifted his head and poured the prescription into his mouth every hour on the hour as the doctor prescribed. I only left the room to bathe and change clothes. I was served all my meals, which I barely touched, at his bedside. My family tried to relieve me of my duties but I refused to leave. They took turns sitting with us until on the third day, Tiger opened his eyes.

 

“Princess, you were distraught. We all worried about you. You barely slept or ate. You stayed by Cao’s side until he was able to feed himself. Your father changed his mind about who would be chief at that time. Even though Cao recovered fully, teacher didn’t want you to live through that situation again. He was trying to protect you.”

 

“Unknowingly, he put me in the very situation he wanted to avoid. Father must have thought Tiger would be obedient and allow you to take his place as chief. Father trusted him to do the right thing by me and the clan.”

 

“Cao was more power hungry than any of us knew.”

 

“One last question before I return to the compound. Why would father assume you would remain unmarried as the chief?”

 

Leopard looked me directly in the eyes when he answered. “Because when the woman you love is to marry another man, you never expect to marry anyone else. It would be easy for me to remain unmarried. The son you and Cao would have would eventually take over after me. The rightful order would be restored.”

 

Leopard left me standing at my parents’ graves more confused than ever. He knew Qing Qing was in love with him but he wasn’t interested in her because of her age. He was not interested because of me.