Vengeance is Served!

Iron Flag Princess

Dai Cong and I quickly made our way back to the compound. Before he opened the back gate for me to pass through, I made Dai Cong promise to be my eyes and ears in the next few days. Disaster was imminent and Cao wouldn’t tell me the the full truth. I didn’t know when I would be able to talk to either Leopard or Monkey again. The only way to ensure I knew what was going on was to have Dai Cong spy for me.

 

Cao Feng was waiting for us in the meeting hall when we returned. His black and red cape was already tied around his neck. The other three junior brothers had their flags and were waiting for Dai Cong’s return so they could depart.

 

“I have urgent business to attend to,” Tiger announced. “I don’t know when I will return.”

 

“I’ll hold dinner for you,” I said. “We can eat in the pavilion when you return.”

 

“If you get hungry, eat without me. I really don’t know how long it will take.” He kissed me on the forehead before leaving.

 

When I returned to our bedchamber, I knew exactly why Tiger had made the statements about me not waiting to eat. He had opened the gift while I was out and was aware of the contents. Now 3 people were aware.

 

I was too hungry to wait for Tiger’s return so I ate without him and asked the servants to bring his dinner to the pavilion upon his return. I would play my flute for him as he dined to reassure him that my love for him was strong and unwavering even though I was angry and disappointed in his actions. I didn’t trust him but I still loved him.


 

The next morning, I arose early to begin my chores as usual. I met with Dai Cong in the main hall before everyone else arose. The new information he presented me was horrifying.  

 

“We went to Brother Luo’s new house,” he began. I could see recounting the story was disturbing him. “Gao Deng and Chen Xiang had Leopard stretched out and tied to four poles. Leopard wasn’t moving. Gao said it was Tiger who plotted to kill your father and Chief Mi in order to take over both schools. He was only pretending in front of Leopard. Tiger maneuvered Gao over to Chen with his flag so that Chen could kill Gao. Chen was to report Leopard’s death to Cao but freed him instead so the 4 of us were to kill Chen if he rebelled. Lu Biao was going to kill Leopard but Lui and I said we would come back with orders from Tiger. When we were talking to Tiger we were informed that Lu Biao and Wong Wa were dead and Leopard escaped. Monkey and Rambler took Leopard to the brothel to recuperate with Yan’s favorite girl Lan Xin.”

 

How could the man I love plot such horrible things against his own brothers? Was he really so hungry for power, money, and glory that he was willing to devour those closest to him to get his way? The horrifying details of this tale caused my knees to become weak and my head dizzy. I could feel myself falling but two Dai Cong was able to keep me on my feet and direct me to the nearest bench.

 

“I need you to take a note to Lan Xin for me,” I asked after I regained my composure. “Make sure no one knows.”

 

He nodded his head to show he understood the importance of secrecy in this matter. There were very few people in the compound I could trust and Dai Kong was one of them. I left the dining hall with Dai in tow to write the note for him to deliver to the brothel. I just wanted Lan Xin to send me daily updates on Leopard’s condition. I sent some money with the note so she could care for him properly.

 

After putting Dai and Lui through a grueling practice for what seemed like half the day, Tiger returned to our bedchamber to check on me. I had been quiet during breakfast and didn’t stay around to watch them practice. The very observant Tiger noticed my mood and was worried.

 

“You are not yourself today, Princess. What worries you?” He asked cautiously as he closed the door behind him.

 

“I heard some very disturbing news today,” I replied in a whisper.  “Leopard has been grievously injured and is near death. His current state was caused by the deceptive Eagles Gao and Chen.”

 

“Then you must know the two are dead. Their treacherous ways have been rewarded justly.” He sat on the bed beside me and wrapped his arm around me. He tried to pull me close to him but I refused to budge.

 

“I also heard you were the one to order Leopard’s death in the first place. Why would you want your sworn brother dead? What did he do to cause you to hate him so much?” I turned to face him with tears glistening in my eyes. I wasn’t expecting an answer at all, let alone an answer that rang true with honesty to my ears and my heart.

 

“Leopard was going to take everything I worked for away. I was originally your father’s successor until that awful near-death experience at the hands of my father’s enemies. Your father’s love and concern for you changed his mind. I also knew Leopard had strong feelings for you.”

 

“Did you also know my father asked Leopard to remain unmarried as the chief of our clan? Leopard could never take me away from you. I have loved you since we were children!”

 

“No, I did not know that. Your father only said that Leopard would inherit the clan if something should happen to him. Naturally, I thought Leopard would get married and have a son who would then take over. Me, then our son should be the one to rule the clan. I put in all the work.”

 

I was wondering what was more important to him: our family or the power being the chief of our clan. My impulsivity got the best of me and I blurted out “Do you love me?”

The shocked expression on his face told me the doubt-filled words were daggers in his heart. Ashamed of the question I asked, I lowered my head and eyes from the heartbroken expression on his face. He gently took my chin in his thumb and forefinger to tilt my head up. He looked deep into my eyes and answered me.

 

“I have and will always love you!” He leaned in to kiss me and I let him.  


 

Daily for three weeks, Lan Xin sent an update on Leopard’s condition. He was healing steadily within her care. I continued to send her money to buy the medicines she would need to heal the rope burns and lacerations that covered his body. I prayed the wounds would heal completely and not leave any visible scar tissue.

 

On the 10 week anniversary of my marriage, I received a note from Lan Xin that Leopard was fully recovered. Today was the day judgment would be served. This was the day of the final battle. At the end of this day, there would be no winners or losers. Just survivors.  

 

I watched from an upstairs window as Dai Cong and Liu Heng left with 2 flag bearers on their mission to bring Leopard and Yan Xiu, the White Robed Rambler, back to the compound to settle this matter once and for all. A few minutes later, I watched as Tiger and about 8 men also leave the compound headed in the same direction as Dai and Liu.  Why would Tiger be headed to the brothel? Was he planning an ambush at the house of ill-repute? I am sure he knows that if he kills Leopard himself no one in this town would ever respect him again. Tiger needed the Rambler to kill his brother so He could avenge not only the teacher but his fallen classmate as well.

 

“Li-Li? Why are you sitting here?” Ping-Ping asked, her voice was full of concern.

 

“I need to see for myself how fate will end this day,” I replied. “This day is going to be filled with heartbreak no matter who survives.”

 

“This is not a scene for someone in your condition should witness. Please go to your room and rest.”

 

I knew she was right but I couldn’t leave the window. I was waiting to see who would return to the compound alive. I was shocked to see Brother Luo and Yan Xiu walk into the compound without Monkey, Dai Cong or Liu Heng. What happened to the other 3 brothers? I was shocked when I heard what sounded like Tiger’s voice coming from the main hall below. When did he return? He must have come in the back entrance as I never left the window. I strained to hear what they were saying through the open window.



 

“Since you won’t believe that I have nothing to do with teacher’s death, what do you want?” Tiger questioned the Leopard.

 

“You know I have come today to rid the clan of the bad elements,” Leopard replied.

 

“What about avenging our teacher? Or have you come with the Rambler to overthrow me?”

 

“You only waited for me to recover so you could force me to fight Yan Xiu. It would be much easier for you if one of us dies but even better if we kill each other. But your plan won’t work!”

 

“Let’s see about that! Mr. Hu, bring her!”

 

The next sounds I heard were a woman protesting with small screams. The reason Tiger had gone to the brothel was to kidnap Lan Xin and use her as a pawn in his sick game of chess.

 

“Rambler, this is your lover and Luo Xin, she helped you to recover. I know neither of you will allow her to be harmed.”

 

“Cao Feng,” began an unfamiliar voice I assumed belonged to the Rambler, “you know why I am called the Rambler. I won’t buy into this trick.”

 

“Luo Xin?”

 

“We are brothers and know each other’s skills and value system. You might be better than me but why use this trick to gain the upper hand?”

“I am not afraid of you but I want to ensure our teacher is avenged. If you kill the Rambler, we can settle our business. But if the Rambler manages to kill you, I will be forced to exact vengeance for our teacher’s murder. Once you begin to fight I will release Yan Xin.”

 

“Alright,” stated Leopard. “I will trust you once. Brother Yan, let’s begin”

 

“I don’t trust him. Since I became involved in your clan’s business, you have caused me nothing but trouble. Set her free first. Then we will fight.”

 

“Release her,” commanded Tiger.

 

“Go as far away from here as you can,” Yan Xiu told her. “Never associate yourself with men like us ever again.”

 

Lan Xin ran from the compound in tears. My heart was breaking for this woman who I believed Fate had dealt a bad hand. I sent a servant to catch her and bring her to my childhood room. I had to repay her somehow for taking care of Leopard.

 

Leopard and Rambler began their fight in the courtyard where the brothers spent hours upon hours training with each other and my father. The pair was evenly matched. When Leopard unfurled his flag, the tide suddenly changed. Yan Xiu had a difficult time flipping and jumping his way away from the black and red fabric. He became confused and tumbled to the ground with the point of Leopard’s flag pointed at his throat. Leopard did not go in for the kill but helped the Rambler to his feet.

 

I looked down below to see the top of Tiger’s head and his clenched fists at his sides. From his posture I could tell he was angry that Leopard spared his opponent’s life. Why would Leopard let the Rambler live knowing he killed my father?

 

The battle between the two men continued. However, Rambler was able to get the best of Leopard and had his short spear pointed at his foe’s throat. Tiger stepped out into the courtyard, grabbed a discarded flag and threw it with such force it went straight through the Rambler and stuck in the tree.

 

I covered my mouth to keep the horrified scream from escaping me. I quickly left the window to collapse into the arms of my faithful servant Ping-Ping. I began to sob as the realization that I was married to a monster settled itself upon me. As we stepped into the hallway to head toward the stairs, we could hear a commotion in the main hall. Men were running away from the battle. By the time we descended the stairs, the only noises you could hear were the grunts of Tiger and Leopard as they fought each other over the clan.

 

I should have turned left at the bottom of the stairs to retreat into the sanctuary of our living quarters. But curiosity always gets the best of me. I turned right and headed into the main hall where I noticed Yan Xiu leaning against a column. His lifeless eyes staring straight ahead with a knowing smirk upon his face.

 

Just beyond him, the two men who are my family are locked in a battle of life and death. One fights for glory, power and money while the other battles for honor and family. The two appear to be evenly matched until the Tiger angrily unwinds his flag, the signal that the end is near. Leopard is able to dodge the strikes from his murder inclined brother but is unable to hold onto his flag.

 

When Leopard is able to regain control of his flag the men become mesmerizing with the ferociousness with which they wield them. However, Tiger manages to shred the Leopard’s flag in a gravity defying maneuver using the tip of his flag like a blade.

 

Monkey jumps down from the roof of the entrance to help Leopard in this battle of good and evil. Tiger has a hard time dealing with his two younger brothers. But he is managing to remain in control until Monkey releases the spring on the short spear given to him by the Rambler. Tiger easily counters with a basket he has hidden in his waistband. Monkey releases another spring but this time needles which go through the holes of the basket into Cao’s body are sprayed out. Caught off guard by this new trick, Tiger begins to stumble around while his brothers are able to gain the upper hand.  They spear their older brother in the stomach, causing his death.

 

Ping-Ping tries to stop me from running to my dead husband but she loses the hold on my arm.

 

I run out the door past Leopard and Monkey to kneel by the man I had love almost my whole entire life. I let out a wail that was even louder than the one that escaped the night my father had died. I reached down to close the eyes of the man I loved forever.