Complicated

A Pile of Drabbles

 

 

 

"Can you please tell me exactly what am I to you," the brunet exhaled so softly under his breath while his gaze was directed downwards on the grassy ground as they walk side by side with each other.

Chanyeol wouldn't have heard him if it wasn't for the peaceful and quiet surrounding they were in at the moment. "You're mine, of course," he answered in a heart beat, eyes fixated on the starless night sky. He briefly wondered why the stars were hiding behind the clouds tonight. It was a shame, really. He wanted to stargaze with Baekhyun but there was really nothing to see in the sky but the full moon shining brightly down the earth seemed to atleast appease him. The moon was undeniably beautiful just likeㅡ

"Why do you keep on saying that?" Baekhyun said, voice sounding so empty all of a sudden like he was trying so hard to not show any bits of emotion out.

"Why? Can't I? We're best friends. You're mine and I'm yours," the taller chuckled heartily at his words before finally glancing down to his petite best friend and that's when he noticed Baekhyun had stopped walking and was behind a few steps away from him already with his head hanging down. "Baek, what's wrong?" His voice was suddenly laced with concern for the smaller and he was about to step closer to him but was immediately stopped on his track as he heard his friend speak.

"Stop," Baekhyun said in a low quiet voice, hands curled into a tight fist as he tried to desperately build up his walls again. "Stop saying that." Walls that would protect him from anything and anyone. Build his walls again to hide from the world. He doesn't want to get hurt again. He's done hurting.

"Stop saying what? What do you meaㅡ" words were cut again as the taller tried to step closer to his best friend but to only be stepped away from.

Baekhyun was done hearing those empty sweet nothings and promises that were obviously meant to be broken. "Don't give me false hope.." he muttered under his breath, trying not to let any sob come out as tears started to run down from his red eyes.

"Whatㅡ"

"I like you, okay!" The brunet bursted out as he finally looked up at the dumb founded man in front of him and he regretted it immediately. The look on his face, the shock as if he didn't saw it coming. He hated it despite knowing that this was inevitable to happen. He regretted saying those words but he was bound to explode sooner or later anyway. He hated receiving that kind of reaction from him after saying the words he have been wanting to say all this time but now that he already did, it doesn't look like it was a good idea anymore.

"....what?" Chanyeol breathed out, obviously confused.

Baekhyun smiled as he stared at those orbs he grew to love. "Yes, Yeol. You heard me right. I like you," he breathed out, feeling his chest constrict in pain as he lifted a hand to clutch the shirt by his left chest where his aching heart was. "Heck! I don't just like you. I love you!" He shouted in sheer frustration as he closed his eyes briefly, letting out everything all at once before looking back up at the taller. The man who makes him happy, sad and hurt all at the same time. Weird. That someone has the power to make you feel all those things.

"I never wanted to fall for you," he continued, lips trembling as he tried to smile but ends up biting his lips to stop himself from letting out any loud sob that could just make him look more pathetic than he already was. "I tried not to but it was so hard when you do those kinds of things that just makes my heart flutter. You were always there for me to support me, encourage me, cheer me up and lift me up when I was in my depressive state. You were the best friend I've always wanted. The brother I never had. The fatherly figure I've always longed for andㅡ" he chocked, hesitating with his next words. "You.." his voice suddenly turned into a whisper as he slowly let his gaze drop on the ground, partly not wanting to see Chanyeol's reaction with his next words. "You always acted like we were together. You were always this sweet and cheesy kind of.." He bit his lower lip, not wanting to say the word 'boyfriend' but his lips had a ghost of smile as he recalled everything with the tall male. "You just always made me feel special. You made me feel all this kinds of things I never thought I could feel towards you and I don't know if you did it on purpose orㅡ"

"Baekhyun."

"Or you did it unconsciously or not, I justㅡ"

"Baek."

"I just don't know why youㅡ"

"Byun Baekhyun!"

Inhaling through his mouth, Baekhyun stopped his frantic speech as he looked up at the taller again, eyes suddenly filled with confusion.

"Baek.." Chanyeol started, face contorted something in between confusion, frustration and hesitation. "Baek, I.." He hesitated again.

"You what?" He spit out, done with his friend not telling him straight what he really felt about him. But then again, it might just be a some sort of defense mechanism because somewhere deep in his mind there's this voice of pessimism that Chanyeol doesn't really feel the same way despite all of his actions.

"Baekhyun, I didn't know you felt that way for me," he muttered as if on the verge of crying too as he slumped his shoulders in defeat. "But I.."

Instead of saying anything, Baekhyun kept mum as he desperately held onto his last flickering hope inside his heart, not wanting to get affected with those brown orbs that was looking at him with pity and not love or adoration or anything close to that.

"Baekhyun.."

He called me by my first name again and not my nickname.

Chanyeol heaved out a deep sigh as he closed his eyes for a moment.

Please.. Don't be like that..

But no matter how strong Baekhyun braced himself, he will never be ready of the harsh blow the taller did as he uttered the words the smaller never expected for him to say without even looking at him directly.

"I have a boyfriend already." Chanyeol repeated when he didn't heard any reaction from the smaller. But he suddenly questioned himself on why he felt a sudden pang in his heart the moment he looked up at his best friend. Tears were freely spilling out from Baekhyun's eyes as he stared at nothing in particular, frozen on his spot and he looked like he wasn't breathing anymore that made Chanyeol worried all of a sudden. "Baekhyun, hey, breath," he said in concern as he stepped closer towards the smaller but a hand was suddenly on his chest, weakly pushing him away.

"You.. How.. When.." Baekhyun shakily inhaled as he looked up at Chanyeol, still weakly trying to keep distance because his friend's very presence suddenly made him feel suffocated. "..since when?"

Chanyeol gave up and just stayed on his spot but always ready and attentive if ever the smaller would faint because he looked so pale already. "Since last week," he revealed with a frown. He didn't wanted his friend to know about it this way. He never knew this would happen. "Yixing.."

Baekhyun smiled despite the tears as he recalled that name. "..oh, that chinese guy. The one with the adorable dimples as you said?"

Chanyeol only nodded and he somehow can't bring himself to smile at the mention of his lover. How could he when his best friend looked so broken in front of him? He felt that painful pang in his chest again when the smaller let out a small laugh. A humorless and dry laugh and not the one he was fond of hearing when they were telling lame jokes with each other.

"Oh." Baekhyun let out a laugh again as he stepped back, wiping his face with his sleeves carelessly as he looked everywhere but the man in front of him. "I see. Uhm.. sorry- I-"

"Baekhyunㅡ"

"No." He firmly said as he put out a hand to stop the talle from walking another step closer. "Justㅡ" he breathed in, stepping back away from the man he loved and the one who broked his heart. "Stay there."

"Baekhyun, I'm sorry. I didn't know."

"You don't have to apologize. It wasn't your fault. I don't blame you." Baekhyun answered when there was a great distance between them.

They stared at each other for the longest time. One was trying to start accepting that the man he loves will never be truely his despite how painful it was. The other trying to understand why this hurts him the way it shouldn't have.

After some time, the smaller steadily breathed in as he closed his eyes and mustered up the most sincere smile he could before making eye contact with his best friend againㅡand maybe that's what they'll just be and nothing more. Just friends. Best friends.

"I'm glad. Really. I'm happy you have your happiness with you already." Baekhyun said with a smile but there were tears spilling out again. "I wish all the best for the two of you."

And with that, he his heel and walked away leaving the taller behind.

Chanyeol curled his fist tightly, fighting the urge to follow the smaller and comfort him until he stops crying but how can he do that if this time, he was the reason of the smaller's pain?

A tear escaped from his eyes as he never teared his gaze away from where the smaller disappeared into.

Under the moonlight, he questioned his heavy heart why he was hurting so much.