Six

#FAKE

 

The next weekend Taehyun makes sure to dress himself to the nines, not willing to be caught by surprise anymore. He wears his distressed blue jeans torn artfully at the knees, creeper shoes, plain black shirt, sabertooth earrings and his favorite set of silver bangles. He sweeps his hair to the side and gets them to stay in place with gel, remembering how Mino had always swept the hair from his face. He blushes a little, remembering the moments, wondering if he is stupid for doing so. However, he likes how he looks, Mino had given him new found confidence. He forewent the kohl and decided to go barefaced, feeling a little nervous without his usual mask.

Mino comes to pick him up at the gate. Mino's smile is bright, prompting Taehyun to return the smile somewhat awkwardly. He gives Taehyun a once over and seems delighted with what he sees. He doesn't need to say anything, Taehyun knows appreciation when he sees one. Taehyun has to remind himself again that this is not a date. They are only going to meeet Mino's friends, a way for Mino to have the courage to ask his crush out. But when he gets his seatbelt on and they are already on their way, Mino tells him his friends are not showing up.

"So what are we doing together then?" Taehyun asks. If the purpose of their meeting today has been cancelled, why didn't Mino just cancel?

"Where do you wanna go?"

"Don't you want to just postpone this for another day when your friends are free? I mean, isn't that the whole point?"

"I don't think I will need more help. Last week was good enough. And I heard from Danah our contract might end soon?" It is a question. Mino glances at him as he asks, meeting Taehyun straight in the eyes. Taehyun blushes and looks away.

He has been wearing the leather cuff Jongsik had given him under his school uniform the whole week. Jongsik had seen it last friday, while he was stalking Taehyun doing his work after school. That seems to have given Jongsik some confidence. He made vague references about the school annual day. Taehyun knew Jongsik meant he was going to make some grand gesture on that day and told Danah all about it. He couldn't wait for Monday to come.

"Yeah... umm... probably. But I don't wanna jinx it by talking about it."

"So you're really going to take him back, if he asks you out again?"

"Of course. This is what the whole contract is about."

"Of course," Mino mumbles. "So we should probably celebrate."

Taehyun glares at him. "Don't jinx it."

"Ok not celebrate. Maybe like... a good luck vibe."

"That's better."

"So where do u wanna go?"

"Well, you owe me ddokbbeoki. It was supposed to be our first date."

"Hit the street stalls?"

"Yes!"

"I know the perfect place," Mino says grinning. It is in his university area. There are a lot of stalls lining the streets, offering food for the student on a budget. "Wow! your college looks nice," Taehyun says looking into the distance. The top of the tall building can be seen from where they are standing.

"Not like Seoul Arts but its great. Its nearby too. You know Seoul Arts is right over there," Mino says pointing to his left. Taehyun knows where he's pointing, the college of his dreams, only he had not known Mino's college is here. Mino takes him straight to his favorite ahjumma's food stall where Mino insists is the best ddeokbokki ever. They stand infront of the stall while Mino flirts with the middle aged woman who serves them. Taehyun tries not to laugh less he choked, and allows Mino to continue making a fool of himself for extra servings, even dancing as the owner requested.

Somehow their conversation ends up in the sphere of their studies. Maybe it is because they are surrounded by university students. They talk about art and finds out that they have absolutely different styles. Taehyun's is more modern with surrealist leanings, he knows which artists he like and he knows exactly who he looks up to as inspiration. Mino on the other hand is a little bit of everything. He likes everyone, he paints everything, draws everything. It is unclear to even know who his inspirations are because his work all seem to seep from he himself alone, somewhere deep down and that is the only thing tying his works together. Taehyun is fascinated. Here is someone who is innately talented, nothing pretentious, like it is a part of him. Taehyun thinks as he listens that it is such a shame Mino went into mechanical engineering.

"Why does it seem like you're giving it up?" Taehyun asks him, unable to control himself. They are sitting at one of the roadside tents, several plates of an assortment of food between them on the tiny round table.

Mino looks at him strangely, he looks like he is ready to argue Taehyun's statement but then his face goes slack, like he is giving up on an internal battle and deciding to be truthful. The brightness in his eyes seem to dim a little, or is Taehyun thinking too much of the situation?

"My dad for one," he says finally. "He's a failed author and didn't want the same for his son. He gave it up finally when he met my mom and decided he wanted to build a family with her. Then there are the teachers who insisted I build a portfolio, trying to make me focus on a style in particular. They said my art was all over the place. I didn't like that. I just wanted to draw and paint for my pleasure." 

Taehyun ponders on that as he listens. He understands what the people around him are telling Mino to do. At first glance there seem to be no interconnecting theme in Mino's art, obviously they have not bothered to look further. Taehyun feels a little like a self-absorbed art critique, that maybe he is giving himself too much credit but he is quite sure of one thing, that people cannot see what he sees in Mino's art, that there don't need to be a theme or genre or choice of color or pencil. The interconnecting theme is Mino himself.

Taehyun decides he must do something about Mino, for the good of mankind, he tells himself. "When I own my personal gallery I will showcase your works one day. Don't ever stop," he says to Mino is all seriousness, inadvertently confessing to Mino of his own dreams.

Mino's eyes goes wide at first, then a small smile settles on his lips. The smile looks almost patronising, as if Taehyun is a little kid announcing to the world he wants to grow up to be Superman. Taehyun ignores it. "You will stake your reputation for my high school doodles?" Mino asks.

"You will be the big discovery, fresh new talent of Nam Taehyun Art gallery," Taehyun promises, sprinkling some humor into his statement.

"I don't know... if I go on with this engineering course and..." Mino looks away, looking wishful.

"Promise me," Taehyun slams his hands on the table, which in retrospect might have been a tad bit dramatic, but in that moment his passion got the best of him.

"Okay," Mino smiles, wider this time. His eyes seem to dance with amusement at Taehyun's expense. Taehyun doesn't care.

"Okay," he flicks his head back like he is won't to do and proceeds to sit back on his chair, a pretence at nonchalance.

"When did you become nice?" Mino asks, curious eyes train on him.

"When did you become nice?" Taehyun counters. The fact that they are here together, alone, without a contract hanging above them. It is exceptional for the two of them. 

"Touche," Mino says and they both laugh out loud.

Taehyun is stuffed but Mino decides he can eat more. He pays for the food, saying he is the one who has a job. When he comes back Taehyun is suddenly pulled up by his hand to lead him through a crowd of street food lovers. Their hands are clasped together, Taehyun notices, he doesn't bother to shake it off. Mino don't seem to notice, or maybe he don't mind the fact that he is holding onto Taehyun's hand.

"This part of the market is for the traditional stuff, grilled squid and bugs, etc," Mino says leading him to a different part of a market. They walk side by side, hands still fastened together. Taehyun wonders if this is what it is like to have a boyfriend you can actually spend time with.

They enter a stall. The first thing Taehyun sees are lots of lots of silkworm larvae that looks to be caramelised. He squirms at the sight, huddling closer to Mino. Mino laughs sensing Taehyun's discomfort. He picks one up, without the shopkeeper's permission, and tries to feed Taehyun. Taehyun tries running away, but Mino holds him back by the hand, laughing at his expense. Taehyun is sure Mino hadn't tried them either, acting all tough. He silently plots his revenge.

The shopkeeper lady is laughing at them, cooing in their direction. "Oh my, you two look so cute together! I have never had such good looking people in my store. Are you celebrities?" she asks with honest wonder, casting a glance at Taehyun's silver hair.

Taehyun blushes and tries to hide his face. Then she starts cooing again "Are you on a date?" she looks suggestively to their linked hands. Taehyun twists his hand away from Mino's grasp and is quick to deny the suggestion. Mino is of no help. He continues chuckling, making it seem like Taehyun is lying and that they are in fact on a date.

They dare each other to eat the silkworms, the loser has to pay for the food because Mino had ordered pancakes too. Taehyun takes the challenge and swallows a larva without chewing. Mino decides he don't find the larvae so appetising anymore. Taehyun will not have it and tickles Mino, making him laugh and he takes the opportunity to pop one larva in his mouth, making the guy's eyes bulge out in surprise. Mino has to choice but to eat it. It will be really rude if he throws the food out of his mouth. Taehyun decides he likes the taste and finishes the plate. He never backs off from a challenge.

The sky is turning orange, Taehyun notices as they walk back to where Mino had parked his vehicle. He hadn't realised it but the two of them had spent half the day together, and they hadn't made each other angry once. Taehyun tries to think back on all the times he had been furious at his best friend's older brother, but even remembering the time he had been left on the sidewalk doesn't make him want to turn nasty to Mino. He feels light-headed but calm, happy with the knowledge that he probably will not need to put his guard up around the older guy anymore. This fake-dating thing doesn't seem like such a bad idea like it was in the beginning.

.

.

.

Monday comes and Taehyun has a serious case of the jitterbugs, although he tries hard not to show it. Jongsik seems to be as nonchalant as ever, laughing and talking with his friends which makes Taehyun furious but does nothing to lessen the tingling he feels in his bones. He is sure something major is going to happen today, only, he can't tell whether it is going to be good or not.

The second half of the schhol day is dedicated to getting ready for the school's annual day- dress rehearsals, sound check, props etc. Taehyun is kept busy along with Danah. He is happy with the distraction, it makes him focus on mundane things and not his love-life.

When the event starts, he is tasked, along with a female classmate, with greeting the families at the door, and to show them to their seats. He stands there, hardly caring about the task at hand, allowing his co-usher to do all the work when a group of three people walk up to him at the entrance to the auditorium, and a familiar mohawk hair comes into view.

"Taehyun-ah," Mrs. Song exclaims with a smile, as if she had not expected to see him here, at his own school. Taehyun ignores the grin sent his way by the gorgeous smile in military geen sweatshirt.

"Welcome," he smiles at Danah's parents and personally escorts them to their seats while handing them the program brochure for the evening. 

"Which one is Danah's drama?" Mrs. Song wants to know, studying the brochure in her hand. Taehyun points it out to her.

"Will she be joining the audience?" Mr. Song asks.

"At least not until her stage is done. They have to be backstage too prepare," Taehyun tells them.

"And you're not performing?" Mino asks, a quirk in his right eyebrow..

"No."

"That's good, dear," Mrs. Song pipes up. "We'll save you a seat. Come join us when your work is done," she says in a voice that invites no disagreement. She proceeds to keep a seat empty between Mino and herself.

Taehyun tries to resist joining the Song family in their seats. He is tired of standing at the door though, with no more guests coming. He hasn't told his mother about the event, she will not have been able to come anyway; afraid a crowd like this may set off her panic attacks. It doesn't matter to Taehyun. He isn't getting any awards nor have anything to do with the stage. It is better if his mother and brother are at home, playing their nightly board games. Taehyun almost wishes he can be at home with them instead. However, this is a big night for Danah, her first lead role ever even though its only a high school production, her family are all present to show their support. Taehyun smiles at that. The Song family were so obnoxiously domestic it is calming to be around them. He decides to take the proffered seat.

Thankfully, Mrs. Song monopolises all his attention so he wouldn't inadvertently blurt out the surprise he has to Mino. He tries to keep a lookout for Jongsik but the boy is nowhere to be found. It is as if he is intentionally staying away from Taehyun. Jongsik will always be hovering around somewhere nearby, Taehyun can always tell. But not tonight though, which is a little strange. He is close to giving up on the idea that Jongsik has planned something.

It is Danah's turn to take the stage. The four of them watch in rapt attentio as Danah portrays as realistic as possible a rendering of Shakespear's "A midsummer night's dream". Mrs. Song cannot help but comment how beautiful her little girl looks. The two men are quiet, though Taehyun can see pride in their eyes.

Danah comes rushing to where they are sitting with her full costume after the play ends, gushing with joy that she has not forgotten any lines.

"You were great," Mino smiles at his sister, then they proceed to do their little secret handshake which is not so secret because it is so simple but it is theirs and theirs alone. Danah is flushed red with the thrill of being on stage, her stage makeup is running a little because of sweat but Taehyun thinks she looks absolutely stunning. 

There comes an announcement for refreshments in the gym, and that the entertainment will be continued after. Danah wants to show her parents around backstage and her make-shift dressing room as she needs to change, which leaves Taehyun sitting beside Mino as the trio leaves the auditorium.

"They'll probably stay there forever, shall we go eat?" Mino asks, following with his eyes the line that's making its way out of the auditorium.

Taehyun looks around him, searching for Jongsik but he is nowhere to be found. He checks his phone. No messages, no missed calls. "Okay," he decides.

Jongsik is not in the gym either, Taehyun looks around as they wait in line for their food. He and Mino decide to take their food outside and look for a suitable place to sit.

"Damn! I miss this place," Mino muses as he lookes around. They are sitting behind the gym on stone slabs overlooking the back lawn of the school.

"Only someone like you would say that," Taehyun mutters, although there is no venom in his words.

"Huh? What do you mean someone like me?" Mino looks genuinely confused, which Taehyun finds endearing. Mino was a popular kid. Everyone loved him, half the school probably had a crush on him while the other half would have liked one of his friends. Even the teachers adored him. Of course someone like him would enjoy High School.

"Hmm... I don't know... let's see... Someone who had his locker and desk filled with chocolates every Valentine's day?"

Danah and Taehyun would always have a field day with those chocolates, stuffing their mouths with them until they couldn't bear to look at another chocolate bar for months afterwards.

Mino laughs out loud at that. "Strangely, that didn't even cross my mind."

"Typical," Taehyun mutters but he's smiling.

"But wait! You mean to say you don't like High School? You won't miss it when you leave?"

"I am so ready to leave this place," Taehyun starts and then Jongsik enters his mind. There will not be Jongsik anymore after High School, so why is he so intent to leave when it means not seeing Jongsik anymore? High School didn't treat him so bad and he has Danah too.

"It means no more maths for the rest of my life," he jokes. He finishes his food and stands upright. He has to look for Jongsik. The fact that their time is limited suddenly hits him. But before that, he has something to show Mino, then he will stop hanging around him. Taehyun wants Jongsik to be jeaous but he does not want Jongsik to think he has no chance. Mino is supposed to be out of the picture already, he was not supposed to show up tonight. However, this is the perfect opportunity to show him what he has done behind the school's back. "I wanna show you something," he tells Mino who's looking for a place to throw his paper plate. Taehyun is excited now. At first he had wanted to do it only for Mino's sake, but never intended to show it to the guy. However he figures it will be a shame if Mino never sees it, Taehyun cannot take that chance.

Mino matches his footsteps as they walk back inside the school. The corridors are dim, students were not meant to go to that side during the event. Well, Taehyun has never been a stickler to rules.

"Where are you taking me?" Mino asks, looking around. His voice echoes around the silent corridor, making it seem like he is nervous.

Mino is not scared of breaking a rule as silly as this was he? Taehyun muses and says out loud, "Don't worry, we're not doing anything illegal," Taehyun tries to assure him but cannot help but add "I think" just to tease the older boy.

Mino's laughter comes out like a bark, he seems less tense now.

"Here," Taehyun points finally as they reach their destination. It's the center of their whole school building, a circular common room where corridors and steps diverge to different classrooms and floors.

"The trophy case?" Mino looks puzzled. There are trophy cases lining the walls, under lock and key. All the trophies won by students in the name of their school are all displayed there proudly. The roof of where they are standing is shaped like a dome but with transparent glass from which light enters.

"This," Taehyun points to one in particular, "Look inside."

There's not enough light to see clearly, but Taehyun hopes the light from the roof will be enough. He knows exactly where he placed them.

"That... that's me!" Mino exclaims, pointing inside the glass case. Taehyun beams with pride. Every annual day, students from the school who had won national awards were celebrated. Taehyun was in charge of recording the award winners this year. While he was going through archives, he saw pictures of Mino receiving his awards for two national drawing competitions during elementary school.

"You told me you won some drawing competitions, but that the school forgot to congratulate you, remember?" Taehyun explains, still beaming. He continues without giving Mino a chance to reply. "I thought that was pretty unfair. I looked for your name in the trophies and didn't find you. So when I saw your pictures I decided you needed to be recognised."

"So you framed them and displayed them for everyone to see" Mino finishes for him, his eyes trained on the framed pictures. There's two of him receiving a certificate at a podium and two of his award winning drawings, framed neatly in dark wood and glass. Taehyun had stolen the keys from the caretaker and placed them at the most prominent place.

Taehyun nods his head vigorously up and down, his smile probably reaching his ears because Mino's reaction is so worth it. He had spent his own pocket money for the frames and everything. He decides Mino will have more incentive now to continue with his art.

The next thing he knows, an arm sneaks behind him, holding his waist and pulling him closer while soft lips crash against his own, or teeth to be exact because Taehyun had been smiling, all gums and teeth. His eyes close on contact, as well as his mouth and then he realises, Mino is kissing him, and he is kissing back.

"Damn you traitorous mouth," is the last thought he has as he gives himself into the touch, the softness of the lips pressuring against his own, an adventurous tongue asking for entry into his cavern. He can't breathe but he can feel. He can feel the strong chest against his hammering ribcage, a soft press at the small of his back by strong hands pushing him forward for more contact, and another- the other hand threading his hair.

He can feel his head move to tilt sideways, allowing better entry. His arms move on their own accord to allow his hands to press against the lean muscles of the biceps he had admired only from afar. His toes are tingling and his whole body seem to vibrate with some sort of energy, but he needs to breathe. His lungs are protesting, needing to inhale the citrusy scent that he has started to associate with only one person: Mino.

He's kissing Mino. Danah's brother! A gear shifts in his brain, his hands press harder on those strong arms, pushing his body away, and then his mouth. Their lips detach, a string of saliva the only thing connecting them until that breaks too. He can breathe again. He inhales deep lungfuls of air, his eyes open wide, not comprehending what just happened. He shifts away, not looking at Mino's face.

"Taehyun..." Mino starts. "I.. I'm so sorry... I" but his words are interrupted as a set of footsteps can be heard approaching them.

"Well, well, well."

The two of them turn in the direction of the voice. Taehyun's brain is throwing danger signals. Its Jongsik! Jongsik with his shirt half ed, his school tie hanging loosely around his neck and his eyes, they are bloodshot red. Taehyun doesn't need to smell the guy, Jongsik is drunk.

Taehyun wants to speak, to tell Jongsik he can explain, because something tells him Jongsik has seen them kiss. Except Taehyun has nothing to explain. He and Jongsik are broken up, and as far as Jongsik knows, Mino is Taehyun's boyfriend.

"Should have known you have been waiting for this moment," Jongsik speaks up. Taehyun has no idea what he means, then he realises Jongsik is not talking to him, he's looking at Mino. "How does it feel getting with my hand-me-down?"

Taehyun catches Mino's eyes as they turn towards him, his face gives a look of incredilous exasperation, as if he's saying "Are you really going to let him talk to you like this?"

Taehyun wants to defend Jongsik. He's drunk. He don't know what he's saying. But Jongsik is talking again, and all Taehyun wants to do was take him away from the school grounds so that he will not be expelled.

"Don't think I don't know about you, Song Minho. Yeah, my friends told me, said you bullied them to stay away from Taehyun while pining hopelessly for him. Well, I'm not giving you the pleasure, I'm taking him back!"

"What the hell are you talking about?" Mino's expression is hard to read as he moves towards Jongsik. Taehyun notices his clenched fists.

"You know what I'm talking about," Jongsik tries to stand up taller, make himself look bigger as he challenges Mino, but he can hardly hold his head up.

"You're drunk, Jinseok. Go home," Mino says, staring the guy down.

"My name is Jongsik."

"Okay, fine, Jeonsik. Go home before the teachers catch you with that flask." Taehyun wonders where Jongsik got the flask from, whether he swiped it from his father. He cannot understand why Jongsik chooses to drink today.

"My name... is in JONGSIK," Jongsik shouts and punches Mino in the jaw. Taehyun rushes towards the two of them then. His ears are ringing. This is not good at all. He confiscates the flask from Jongsik.

"What the hell are you doing? Why would you..." Taehyun seethes.

"I'm not going to let you date this guy, Taehyun," Jongsik says when he is suddenly pushes out of the way by Mino who's grabbing Jongsik's collar.

"Do you have a death wish boy?"

"Mino hyung, he's drunk. Please, you're the sober one," Taehyun inserts himself between the two boys, forcing them apart. Then there's another flash of movement and Mino falls on the floor. Jongsik had kicked him in the stomach.

"That does it!" Mino gets up and socks Jongsik right on the jaw. Jongsik falls down, not moving again.

"What the !" Taehyun is now freaking out. He bends down to check on Jongsik. He is still breathing, thank heavens. He stands up and turns towards Mino, angry beyond words.

Mino is still fuming, although his shoulders hunch a bit as if deflated. He will not look at Taehyun in the eyes. Taehyun almost feels bad, however, right now he has to take care of a passed out drunk Jongsik if he wants to make sure he will not be expelled and ruin his future.

"I have to get him away from school," Taehyun finally says when a few seconds pass with neither of them saying anything. Taehyun bends down to try and get Jongsik to his feet. Its difficult since he receives no help from the lifeless body.

Mino comes forward without a word and holds up Jongsik from the other side. With the drunk boy's arms around both their shoulders, they carry him out. Neither of them open their mouths as they navigate towards the entrance gates. They are lucky the venue of the school's annual day supplied entry from the back gate, allowing them to make their way outside the school from the front gate without running into anyone.

Taehyun can finally breathe easy once they leave the school gates. They lay down Jongsik on the pavement, resting his back on the concrete wall of the school compund while they try to catch their breaths. Taehyun hastily takes off Jongsik's tie as soon as he recovers, as well as his blazer so that the boy will look less like a High School student.

"I'm going," Mino's voice pierce through the sound of traffic while Taehyun is busy trying to figure out what to do with Jongsik's uniform. 

"What? And leave me here to deal with him? You're the one who knocked him out," Taehyun is livid.

"'Coz he's an !" Mino's voice is raised above normal, making Taehyun flinch and take a step back. He has forgotten the rule he gave himself. Do not make Song Mino angry. "You've got what you want now didn't you? He came to fight for you and you're going to take his sorry back so now leave me the alone!"

The words sting Taehyun, he doesn't know why. What Mino says is true though. Maybe its the way its being delievered that hurt him, maybe its the look on Mino's face when he spits out the words, as if he has had enough of him, as if Taehyun is the worst scum on earth.

"Hyung... I..." Taehyun croaks out, his voice breaking. He has no idea what he wants to say but he has to say something.

Mino seems to realise he is being hot-headed. He softens his voice a little when he speaks again. "I can't do this anymore, Taehyun, I can't."

Taehyun is thinking, can't do what anymore, because this is the first time something like this has ever happened. Mino turns his back towards him and starts walking away. Taehyun wants to call him back, ask him what made him so angry, what exactly he did wrong, but no words come out of his mouth.

 

------------------

A/N: So I have a mild obsession with Taehyun having bangs while he was in High School. I guess you all know that too since he said he has a complex about his eyebrows, and I know he hid them with his bangs. Even when he auditioned to YG or his portfolio as a model, he always had bangs, until he became a part of WIN /wink wink/ I always wondered when and how he got over his complex.

Next chapter will be the end of the story.