One

#FAKE

Taehyun makes his way inside the bedroom, dragging his feet with his head down and shoulders slumped. He ignores the curious glance casted his way by the sole occupant of the room as he crashes head first on the bed, proceeding to curl into his own body, hugging his knees close to his chest. He feels as if he has no strength to even speak, however, he can't stop the sigh from escaping his lips.

"Babe," the owner of the room seems utterly distressed to see Taehyun that way and approaches the bed, wringing her fingers nervously as she bites her lower lip, looking down at the boy curled on her bed.

"He broke up with me," Taehyun whispers, barely loud enough for his friend to hear.

"Oh no!" Danah falls on her bed at the confession and wraps her body around her best friend, one arm slinging over his torso. "What happened? I thought everything was going well."

"I don't get it either. He said stuff about college and not being compatible, I couldn't really hear him. I stopped listening after that point. He said a lot of stuff," Taehyun mumbles into the pillow, eyes closed and allows Danah's warmth to comfort him. The break-up was really out of the blue. Just a few days before they had gone on a really nice movie date and made out in a dark alley. It was heady and amazing.

"I really hope it is not because of that thing," Danah muses out loud and then quickly stops herself, hand on . The sudden quiet makes Taehyun curious, and he heard clearly what Danah said.

"What thing?" Taehyun turns his head to face her, eyes finally opening.

"Umm... " Taehyun can tell Danah's stalling for time, thinking about what she is going to say next. It will be useless to lie though, Taehyun can always see right through her. Also, Taehyun will not stop asking until she tells him. "I... this just entered my head, and it's probably nothing, but I overheard his friends teasing him about you after class a few days back. I thought nothing of it because you really don't care about such stuff, but maybe, he took it to heart?"

"What did they say?" Taehyun asks, fully attentive now, lying on his side to face Danah with his whole body.

"Just... you know... stuff about your hair and..."

It is a known fact that Taehyun is obsessed with his hair. If he had money he would have insured it. No one who makes fun of his hair ever gets away with it, you should ask one classmate who had the audacity to make a loud snide remark and the next day after gym class, she came out of the bathroom with bleached patches in her hair.

"My hair?" Taehyun props his body up with an elbow as he flicks his bangs away from his face with one quick motion. Taehyun will properly rage later, right now there are other things to worry about. "What else did they say?"

"... and the way you walk and that it seemed like your future would be in the 'stripping' business," Danah finishes, looking at Taehyun with her face scrunched. Taehyun knows it's difficult for Danah to hear things like this about him, and she definitely hates the fact that Taehyun knows, although Taehyun can clearly take care of himself. It never occurs to him to be offended by the things the students said about him. He really couldn't care less.

"Yeah, and they'll be on the front row paying money to see a piece of this booty," Taehyun huffs out loud. Danah breathes a sigh of what seems to be relief. However, her eyes are still searching his face, worried.

"You must have really liked him to be so down over this. Where's the sassy Taehyun I know?" Danah tries to joke but she only brings more sigh from Taehyun.

They both sit up on the bed, legs crossed and facing each other. "I want him back," Taehyun says finally.

"What?"

"If that is the case, if he broke up with me because his friends are disapproving and not because he doesn't have feelings for me, I want him back."

"Taehyun, I..." Danah starts and then stops. Taehyun knows Danah didn't really like Jongsik from the very beginning. Danah never really said anything about it, but Taehyun knows his best friend. He had asked her once, since she refused to even talk to the boy even when the three of them walked home together, not that Jongsik really tried hard to talk to Danah either, and Danah had said she felt Taehyun deserved better, but since Taehyun was obviously smitten for the damn boy, she was always supportive.

"He's a high school kid. He's just under peer pressure you know, still kinda dumb," Taehyun mumbles, defending Jongsik knowing how Danah must have felt about him.

"And you are also just a high school kid," Danah counters.

"I'm not most people. And because I am of higher intelligence than most people it means I should learn to forgive other people's shortcomings," Taehyun answers with a flick of a wrist, his silver bangles jingling with the movement.

"Okay," Danah laughs, noticing her friend slowly coming back to his usual self. "I hope he deserves it. This doesn't mean I approve of him though. But if you like him he must have something special."

"His abs for one," Taehyun smirks, reminiscing.

"Oh, shut up," Danah punches his shoulder as she giggles.

Taehyun had had a crush on Jongsik ever since the day he saw the guy washing his hair at the taps after gym class. Taehyun had watched as the guy flung his wet hair after he was done, water splashing everywhere. Then the water dribbled down to his white gym shirt, making the cloth translucent, offering Taehyun a view of really well-defined abs for a teenager. Taehyun was smitten. That was at the start of the new school year and Jongsik was the new guy.

"Just help me figure out a way to get him back, will you?" Taehyun asks as he plops back down on the bed.

"Puhleez, you're asking a girl who has been single her entire life," Danah pouts.

"Not for lack of trying," Taehyun teases, for which he gets another hard bump on his shoulder.

They sit silently for a while, thinking of possible ways to get Jongsik back into Taehyun's life. Danah even suggests they look at the internet for answers, Taehyun discards all of them. There were suggestions like- "Change your ways or reflect on what went wrong" and Taehyun doesn't think he needs that, until something Danah said catches his attention.

"Say that again?"

"Have fun, show him that you're having fun," Danah reads aloud.

"That's it, I have to make him jealous," Taehyun snaps his fingers.

"And how did you come up with that from "Have fun"?" 

"Oh come on Danah, it's so obvious. If I am having fun and make him see it, he would see that I can have fun without him and he would be jealous, that will totally annoy the hell out of him and he'd totally want me back," Taehyun explains, a grin in place now.

"O-okay." Danah doesn't look convinced.

"So how can I have fun and make him see it?" Taehyun muses out loud. "How do I make him jealous?"

"Make him jealous as in, hang out with guys better than him?"

"Danah! You're a genius!" Taehyun hugs her from the side, almost choking her. "Yes! I need a fake boyfriend!"

"I didn't say that! How could you come up with that conclusion?"

"Please, that is like the classic "Make a man jealous" tactic. I am surprised I didn't think of it at first. I am so so glad you're my best friend, what would I ever do without you?" Taehyun pecks Danah on the cheeks.

Danah always hated that and she rubs her cheeks furiously. "Ewwwww, you're going to give me acne," she screams as she rushes to her vanity table to get a wet tissue.

"Sorry," Taehyun laughs and proceeds to lie back down on the bed again. "Ok, where do I find guys who would be willing to fake-date me. None of the boys in school would do, they all pale in comparision to Jongsik and that would not make him jealous at all. I just realised it Danah..." Taehyun pouts.

"What?" Danah asks coming back to the bed.

"I have no social life," Taehyun wails.

"That makes two of us," Danah sighs. Ever since they found each other, the two of them had lived in their own little world, completely satisfied. There was no need to extend their reach, their cocoon was enough... until now.

At this moment, someone knocks on the door. "Mom says she made snacks if you want?" a gruff voice comes from outside the bedroom door which can only belong to Danah's older brother.

"Okay," Danah calls back but makes no move to get up.

"I'm hungry. I wonder what she made this time?" Taehyun wonders out loud as he makes a move to get out of the bed. Danah's mom always made the best cookies and she always makes enough for Taehyun too.

"Wait!" Danah catches hold of Taehyun's wrist as his legs reach the floor. He turns back around to see Danah has the strangest smile Taehyun has ever seen. He raises his eyebrows in question. "My brother!"

"What about him?" Taehyun asks; his face twists in displeasure at the mention of Danah's older brother.

"We can ask my brother to help us out, you know, to make Jongsik jealous," Danah explains, her smile ever growing wider.

"What? No way! Your brother hates my guts," Taehyun shouts out loud and quickly cups his mouth with his hands, wondering if Danah's brother is still out there in the hallway listening in on them.

"Hated. Past tense, Taehyun," Danah frowns.

"Nope. He still hates me. I can tell," Taehyun shifts back to the bed next to Danah. "Your parents were okay with me after they realised I was not your boyfriend, but your brother clearly didn't get the memo."

"My brother is incapable of hating anyone," Danah is adamant. "He likes everyone and everything. He even loves dogs even though he is allergic to them."

"There are always exceptions," Taehyun mutters. "You think that way because he is your brother and he loves you to bits and pieces." Taehyun does not like feeling this way about his best friend's brother but the damn guy absolutely infuriates Taehyun sometimes, with his disapproving gaze and the frown he puts on whenever Taehyun comes around to the place. It was pretty funny in the beginning because the whole Song family thought Taehyun was Danah's boyfriend and obviously, they didn't want Danah to start dating so young, and definitely not a boy with bleached blonde hair, torn jeans and black kohl around his eyes. That was three years ago, Taehyun has silver hair at the moment. However, Danah cleared the air and her parents soon warmed up to Taehyun, but the older brother never stopped disapproving, obviously worried that Taehyun would be a bad influence on his sister. He had undoubtedly heard the rumors around school involving Taehyun, he had been a senior in the same school afterall. 

Taehyun had tried to be understanding, from the point of view of an older brother. He was an older brother too, to an obnoxious kid named Donghyun. However, after months of being glared at, Taehyun could no longer be okay with the fact that Danah's brother was a prejudiced jerk, so he decided to ignore his existence instead.

"And because he loves me to bits and pieces, he would agree if I ask him," Danah smiles.

"Probably, but I don't want to. It'll be either be too awkward or we'll kill each other in a day," Taehyun denies the offer. 

"Okay, suit yourself. You will have to find that fake boyfriend yourself or think of a new strategy coz I don't know any guy apart from my brother," Danah tells the truth of their situation.

In the kitchen, Taehyun weighs the pros and cons inside his head. He doesn't know anyone he can ask to be his fake boyfriend, and he needs a specific type of person. Someone at least as goodlooking as Jongsik, someone whom Jongsik could be jealous of, someone who wouldn't mind being considered gay or who is already gay, and someone taller than him because Jongsik is pretty tall. Nobody he knows, even in passing, will fit the bill. He tries to think of other ways to make Jongsik jealous, but it always involves other people and Taehyun do not know people, apart from Danah and his own immediate family. Taehyun is stumped.

Danah was discussing something animatedly with her mother when Danah's brother walks into the kitchen to get something from the refrigerator. Taehyun watches him without realising it, as the guy takes a bottle of orange juice and starts gulping down the contents straight from the bottle. From his seat Taehyun can clearly see the guy's adam's apple bobbing up and down, and Taehyun thinks he can be considered pretty attractive, from a completely objective point of view. He is also pretty tall and well built, older than him or Jongsuk since he is already attending college which is a plus point. Also, Danah can make him do anything she wants. Taehyun knows he is the only option available to him if he wants Jongsik back.

Then the guy completely ignores the three people in the kitchen and goes back straight to wherever he came from. Taehyun knows it's because he's there, because once Taehyun leaves the room, he knows the guy completely becomes a different person- loud and boisterous. Taehyun isn't sure how he can pretend to fake-date a guy who completely seems to hate his guts, however, he tells himself it will not take too much time. He will not have to spend too much time with him, just allow Jongsik to see them together every now and then, right? Jongsik's face comes to mind then, that glorious face and those lips. Taehyun will do anything to get him back, even if he has to fake date an .

"Okay," he says out loud, louder than necessary.

"Huh?" Danah and her mother both turn towards him, expressions curious.

"I said okay, you know, to... to what you suggested before," Taehyun stumbles on his words, talking to Danah.

"What did I..." Danah's face is blank as Taehyun tries hard to telepathically tell her what he's talking about; until a light flashes across the girl's features and she gives a knowing smile. "Okay."

---------------------------------------

 

A/N: Jung Jongsik is an Original Character. In my head he looks like Lee Jongsuk but bulkier(?)