Chapter 2

Be The One

February 2010

Seungri currently sitting at the back side of the cafe, beside the ceiling-to-floor glass wall, sipping on his coffee. He's wearing his sunglasses and scarf to disguise as he watches the people outside, running to the nearest shelter to prevent them from getting wet because of the rain. 

Seungri shivered since it was cold and gloomy because of the weather. He checked his wristwatch to see the time.

2:23 pm.

It is still afternoon yet it's cold. This weather, really. Aish. Seungri thought as he rubbed his hands to create heat for his freezing hands. Startled, he slightly jumped when someone took a seat in front of his, catching her breathe.

"Were you waiting for so long, oppa?"

That voice... is this her now? Seungri asked himself as he took a peak at the person in front of him, trying to steady her breath and hair covering half of her face clearly that she ran down the street. 

"J-jinyoung?" He called out, silently cursing himself for stuttering. The woman in front fixed her hair and smiled brightly at the still shocked man. "Yep, the one and only."

"Sorry, I got stuck on traffic that's why I'm late." Jinyoung added as she signaled for the waitress to take her order. "I'll have hot choco please. Thank you." She gently smiled as the waitress walked away to prepare for her order.

Awkward silence enveloped the atmosphere for it's been a while since they saw each other. 4 years to be exact that they dreaded this moment to come and now here they are, face to face. They don't know how to approach the other. Seungri was staring at her when Jinyoung waved her hand in front of him to get his attention. "Ya oppa! Earth to Seungri!"

"Oh? What was that?" Seungri asked as he rubbed his nape, looking around but her. Jinyoung smiled as she remember that's his way of hiding his embarrassment. "I asked how are you?"

"Besides being tired and under pressure, I'm fine." Seungri replied with a slight chuckle. Jinyoung has an amused smile on her face with her eyebrow raised. "What?" Seungri continued, sensing Jinyoung's playful stares.

"BIGBANG's Seungri? Being pressured? Impossible." Jinyoung , making the atmosphere light. Seungri pouted that made Jinyoung laugh heartily. 

"It's true! I'm the maknae so I have to work hard. And I'm human too." Seungri responded while playing with his fingers that's on the table. Jinyoung noticed this and gently grabbed his hand to catch his attention.

"Oppa, I'm just teasing you. And I know you'll do great in everything you do, I'm already proud of what you've achieve." Jinyoung gave her proud smile at her guy best friend while Seungri smiled back at her after looking at their hands tightly clasps together. 

If only... Seungri sadly thought, still in eye contact with Jinyoung. Their own little bubble burst when the waitress came for Jinyoung's order making them to let go of their hands and swiftly walked away, sensing the growing awkward atmosphere again.

Jinyoung carefully sipped her hot choco to distract herself for nearly having heart attack as her heart keeps on pounding hard. Calm down, Jinyoung. Take a deep breath. Jinyoung instructed herself as she grin at the guy in front of her.

Seungri keeps on cursing himself because the only thing he do is stare at the most beautiful girl he knew. He can remember the times when she grin at him. She's still the same girl I met 6 years ago. Seungri smiled back at Jinyoung.

"How about you? How's life?" Seungri broke the silence as sat straight. "It's good. I'm getting ready to handle our family's business in 2 months time." Jinyoung answered with a smile.

Jinyoung's father is the CEO of Lee Enterprises and seeing his only child and daughter doing her best in everything after much studying and training, he decided to resign early and it's time for his daughter to take over the company.

"You'll be CEO Lee Jinyoung now, congrats! I'm proud of you." Seungri has a big smile as he congratulated his best friend. "Thanks but I'm worried I won't be as good as my appa."

"Aigoo, you can do it! This is what you are best at, you studied at the best univesity for this right?" Seungri reminded her with a sad smile when he remember the letter she gave him.

Knowing the look on Seungri's face, Jinyoung looked down, not meeting his eyes as she also remember what she wrote on the letter.

"Why didn't you tell me personally?" Seungri asked her after some time with a hint of hurt in his voice. Jinyoung looked up, unbelievable over her face. She knows they will eventually talk about it but she didn't expect it this soon. "Do you expect me to confess to you personally?"

"Yes and I only got to know when you already left." Seungri was clearly hurt, not only in his voice but also it's etched all over his face. "That hurts the most. Everyone knew you're going but me."

"I'm sorry. I just thought that you didn't need to know because you already have Eunhee and I don't want to take your time away from her." Jinyoung explained while covering her cup with both hands.

"I was your best friend and hopefully still are." Seungri replied, dejectedly looking at her. Jinyoung smiled slightly with a nod. Always the best friend.

"And for the record, I feel the same." Seungri revealed staring straight in her eyes. Jinyoung can see and feel the sincerity and was that love? that his eyes wants to convey. "And still are."

Jinyoung was stun on her seat, staring wide eyed on the person she call her best friend in front of her. She can feel her tears threatening to fall. No, he didn't say that. I'm just imagining things.

"The first time we met eyes, I knew something inside me flipped. But I need to play it cool because we're best friends and if I confess to you, there's a big possibility that we'll not make it considering that I was a trainee back then and I don't want to lose you. That's why when Eunhee came into the picture, I thought my feelings for you will disappear and I focused on liking Eunhee more. The more time I spend with her, the more I make myself believe that I'm starting to forget my feelings for you but I know deep down, it's getting stronger for it's you that I imagine spending the dates we have. After a year of dating her, I broke up with her; telling her the truth." Seungri let out his thoughts without breaking their eye contact.

As Seungri was talking Jinyoung's tears flowed down her cheeks as she collected her thoughts and heaved a sigh, wiping her tears. Seungri looked up, alarmed as she suddenly stood up, getting her things. "I'm sorry, I can't do this."

Jinyoung walked away, leaving Seungri watching her in despair.