Han Haebin

The Little Mermaid

Dokyung jolted up from sleeping on her desk. Looking around and checking the time, class hasn't started and she realizes that she arrived at school too early.

"Mommy Haebin~"

Dokyung looked as some students from the lower desks ogled like children as a good looking woman was taking care of them. There were also more of them gathering when she caught Dokyung's one-second gaze. She smiled and made her way closer to her.

“Make way~” She spoke as she got to pat Dokyung’s head. “I’m Haebin. Mind me of the kids.” She said as she pats Dokyung’s cheek. “You’re so cute I could squish you with love.”

Dokyung could only smile back of the little gesture when the bell rung. They all got to their seats, with Haebin sitting next to her.

+++

Dokyung chilled while walking around the campus. Taking her stop to get her favorite drink, she would get gazes from those students who acted like kids before class started, the ones that were pampered by someone, her seatmate.

She was a motherly student who goes by the name of Han Haebin. According to some students, she was teased before for looking too old to be a junior high-schooler but she got her confidence back because she cared for others and she had a very wonderful voice. She was also aspiring to be a nurse and would mend injuries, physically and mentally. And from what others saw, she was composed but she would go mushy when she saw Dokyung.

Like right now, Haebin happened to pass by. 

“My baby~~” Haebin got her chance to hug Dokyung and pat her head.

She hugged Haebin back and witnesses were jealous, with Haebin sticking a tongue to the people she knew. They were jealous because Haebin was known for her caring vibe and Dokyung was the charming one in the whole campus, the campus crush to be exact.

“It's almost lunch time, Dokyungie. Join me. I could feed you.” Haebin grinned.

Dokyung shrugged and went ahead. Haebin took that as a yes and caught up to her as they went to the canteen together.

+++

The lunch went well as Dokyung somehow felt Haebin's caring aura. Dokyung had a wonderful meal, especially Haebin. There were also times that Haebin would kiss Dokyung on the forehead, making some witnesses react. For Dokyung, it was almost too sudden.

Later, Haebin and Dokyung separated ways as they went home. For Haebin, she thought her moment with Dokyung was the best thing she ever experienced.

“I got a kiss on her forehead!” Haebin squealed to herself.

She decided to listen to music on her phone ans sang along the way until she got home. With that, she remembered something and squealed towards her room.

She had Dokyung's number and she decided to text her now.

+++

From: UNKNOWN

Good night, baby. Mommy Haebin loves you… *chu* - Haebin

Dokyung smiled lightly on that text and replied. Then she places her phone on her bedside table and slept.

+++

Dokyung was sighing, flexing herself as she puts a medicinal patch by her back. Dokyung got herself ready again and was on her way to school. She sighed of playing baseball too much, a motive of her little injury.

Classes went on like the usual except for her back pains. Dokyung thought she was lifting a barbell on her back, the pain growing worse than the second. Her classmates, Mirae and Jeongmi noticed her as they grew worried.

“Why don’t you go to the clinic?” Mirae suggested.

“You can skip some classes. We’ll give you the details.” Jeongmi assured her.

Dokyung nodded and made her way to the clinic. As she got in and had some diagnosis with the nurse, Dokyung got a prescription from the nurse to relieve the pain. Dokyung thanked her and left the clinic. She decided to go home and rest when she saw Haebin by the corridors. She was wincing, holding her ankle.

“Haebin-ssi~” Dokyung called.

Haebin saw Dokyung and boy, did she greet her brightly. Dokyung went closer, seeing that Haebin’s ankle was sprained.

“Let me help you.” Dokyung offered.

“It’s okay, Dokyungie. I’ll be fine…” Haebin assured her.

Her face showed pain. Dokyung sighed and gave her a piggyback ride to the clinic, causing her back to be in pain again. She didn’t care. She had to get Haebin to the clinic.

Haebin’s heart was beating quickly. She never thought Dokyung did this for her. She gulped, feeling her strong build carrying her. She wrapped her arms around Dokyung’s neck and savoured the moment until they got to the clinic.

Dokyung puts Haebin down and knocked the door. The nurse opened it and wondered of Dokyung’s presence.

“Haebin here has her ankle sprained.” Dokyung said.

The nurse nodded and aided Haebin. Dokyung helped her to a bed, letting Haebin sit down. Dokyung took off her left shoe and saw a big bruise on Haebin’s ankle.

“Dokyung-ssi. You need to go home and rest now,” said the nurse.

“Ne.” Dokyung nodded. “See you when I see you, Haebin.”

“Okay. Thank you, Dokyungie~” Haebin said and waved back.

Dokyung grinned before leaving. As the nurse was busy mending on her ankle, Haebin felt her chest and a thump was present.

It must’ve been Dokyung again. She loved the way she was lifted by her. She also loved that Dokyung wasn’t a selfless person. She was beautiful, inside and out. And somehow, she had these feelings for Dokyung.

Could this be love?

+++

Dokyung was early in school and the teacher gave her responsibility in checking the attendance. Dokyung did her job diligently when she felt someone next to her.

“Don’t forget me.” Haebin grinned.

"I already listed you, Haebin-ah." Dokyung said as she showed her name as the second one in the list, just at the bottom of her own name. "How could I forget you?"

Dokyung grinned and passed the attendance to the teacher. For Haebin, that little gesture meant a lot of her, maybe because she was falling for her.

Not maybe. She was indeed in love with Dokyung.

+++

Haebin was with her kids as they talked about her and Dokyung and shared of their little crushes towards their charming classmate. Haebin smiled and noticed Dokyung in the distance, reading a book.

“She is what we all want.” Haebin clarified.

They agreed. Haebin's eyes couldn't stop gazing at Dokyung as she also agreed of what she said.

Dokyung was a not only a person she admired but also a person she wanted to have for the rest of her life.

+++

Dokyung was helping a junior student with her laptop, troubleshooting the network. Dokyung’s fingers were quick as she finished debugging.

"There you go.”

“Thank you, Dokyung-ssi.” The junior said.

“No problem.” Dokyung said back.

Dokyung left the juniors, hearing some squeals by the back. Dokyung got the library, getting a book on Web Development then sitting by her usual spot. She got her laptop out, turning it on all while she read her book.

As she was busy, she couldn’t help but feel a presence. She looked up and she saw Haebin heading towards her.

“Hi, Dokyungie~” Haebin greeted.

“Hey, Haebin.” Dokyung greeted back, then noticing Haebin’s set of books. “Nursing books?”

“Yeah. I’m aspiring to be a nurse someday.” Haebin said, also noticing Dokyung’s note. “I didn’t know you were into information technology.”

“I am…although I’m trying to. Is that even alright?” Dokyung asked.

Haebin just nodded as she and Dokyung read their books. Haebin’s eyes were keen as she gazed at her book and at Dokyung simultaneously. For Dokyung, she was too busy reading and typing her design for the webpage. Three hours passed by and Haebin finished reading three chapters of her book. She rested for a bit and looked at Dokyung, gasping to see her typing non-stop. Dokyung was in pure concentration when a sickening crack was heard.

Dokyung stopped, wincing as she held her right hand. Haebin grew worried and went by her side, holding her hand gently. Dokyung froze as Haebin massaged her hand lightly. Dokyung winced of the sudden pain as Haebin softened her touches while applying pressure to the necessary areas. Dokyung felt relieved with Haebin’s massage as she felt the pain subsiding.

Dokyung could huff a breath as Haebin smiled at her, her hold on Dokyung’s hand all tender and intact.

“Wow…Haebin…how could I ever thank you?” Dokyung asked.

Haebin kissed that hand then pulled Dokyung and kissed her forehead. Dokyung froze and felt her heart thump.

“Take time to think…and be mine, Dokyungie…” Haebin said.

*ring*

Dokyung could only nod as she readied her stuff. Haebin did the same thing and they got out of the library together.

Dokyung felt Haebin hold the hand that she massaged and felt their fingers intertwine. Dokyung couldn’t help the little heartbeat she’s experiencing.

Was she really falling for Haebin?

+++

Dokyung was doing relays for athletics and Haebin stopped by to watch her. She cheered for her as much most of the spectators did too. Dokyung ended it as she won and some students inched their way to wipe her sweat off. Haebin was triggered as she got her handkerchief.

“Yah! I’m collecting Dokyungie’s sweat.” Haebin smirked as she waved her handkerchief while running.

She pulled Dokyung and wiped it off. Dokyung was still shocked of what Haebin did but she was thankful for it.

"Now let's have a drink together." Haebin said as she linked her arm on Dokyung's.

"Okay." Dokyung nodded.

+++

Haebin whined of today as some students took advantage of her caring side that they ended up teasing her. Haebin was sighing in frustration when someone sat next to her in a field.

"It's the first time I heard you whine."

"D-Dokyungie!" Haebin was shocked.

"If it's about some indecent students, then let me take you out and we have lunch." Dokyung said as she lent a hand. "Shall we?"

Haebin's heart pounded of Dokyung's words. Her frustrating day was gone with that smile and she held Dokyung's had back.

"Okay~" Haebin grinned.

"Let's go." Dokyung said as she and Haebin walked hand in hand, side by side.

+++

Dear Diary

Caring is never a superficial thing. It has always been a trait that anyone can harness, even in the littlest of things. In my case, seeing Han Haebin made me cling onto that belief.

She was always nursing others and I wonder if she ever nurses herself. Because as said in the Bible, Jesus said to love your neighbors as you love yourself.

I just hope she sees that. And if she doesn't, I'll do what I can to let her feel that someone cares for her.

Shim Dokyung

A cough and sneeze wasn't a good sign, how much more of a flu? Dokyung recently had the flu but she was eager to get to school for she didn't want to miss classes. 

She got her mask and bag and walked while shivering. She hoped she can make herself to school in time and in one piece.

+++

Dear Diary

I never thought I’d see my Dokyungie so persistent. She’s here in class, attending and listening throughout the day while she was sick.

Being a woman with a motherly image, I was worried for Dokyungie’s health. My baby shouldn’t be in school all sickly. She needs to rest, indulge herself to some chicken soup, drink medicine, and get her mind relaxed.

But no. No one’s stopping Dokyungie.
I need to take care of her. I need to take care of the person I love…

Han Haebin

“Dokyung, you don’t look too good.” A classmate said; her forehead creasing. “You need to go home.”

“No…” Dokyung tries to hold onto her cough. “There’s no way I’m-*cough*-missing classes…”

She sighed hard as she goes back to her seat. Haebin came back from her break and sighed of Dokyung who’s slumping on her seat.

“Dokyungie.” Haebin went closer.

The other students followed when the first classmate hissed at. “Yah! Leave Dokyung alone for today!”

“Why?” One of them in the crowd asked.

Dokyung got up, frustrated. Dokyung makes her way out of the classroom as they wanted to follow when Haebin stopped them.

“Unnie~!” One whined.

“Let Dokyungie be.” Haebin sighed. “She’s sick. There should be no disturbances.” Haebin said. “You don’t give disturbance to a sickly person. She’s not going to heal quickly.”

“True.” The classmate agreed.

+++

Dokyung’s visits in the clinic have been frequent. The nurse had become her friend, all while she was getting nags to go home and take a rest. But then, Dokyung was one persistent student, not letting any flu stop her from gaining knowledge and participate in any activities.

Haebin didn’t bug her much but she did her efforts to make Dokyung feel better. She bought her orange juice every lunch, bought packs of Kool Fever and would watch over Dokyung, giving kisses on her forehead as she got her a blanket to keep her warm. On the later days, Haebin brought a pillow for Dokyung to sleep her head onto inside the class, plus warm tea every morning.

For Haebin, she made sure of those efforts. She and the school nurse would collaborate in the clinic. Haebin read some remedies for flu and she applied them towards Dokyung during her visits in the clinic. She was also watchful of Dokyung’s symptoms and was there whenever Dokyung forgot her medications. Dokyung was very grateful for the remedies, especially Haebin’s care.

One day, Dokyung was resting and Haebin watched over her like the archangel she was. Haebin had been reading a good book as she pats Dokyung's head. With Dokyung’s case, Haebin took charge and made sure Dokyung will be fine soon.

She would buy drinks beforehand. Water, electrolyte drinks, even orange juice to let Dokyung be hydrated everytime. She also bought her medicine, Kool Fever and menthol ointment. Haebin also informed the teachers of their endeavor and were excused.

Haebin was left with another book to read, watching her Dokyungie from time to time as she was still asleep. Haebin stopped reading and took a quick run by the canteen and bought a snack.

Haebin got back and she sighed in relieve thar Dokyung was untouched and was still asleep. Haebin sighed as she held Dokyung's forehead, feeling the heat lower than the last measurement but it was still present and Dokyung was still sick. Haebin went closer to Dokyung, having a good look at her. Haebin smiled, finding Dokyung so peaceful and so sweet. She reached for Dokyung’s face, caressing her precious cheek as she felt her heart thump.

“How could you be so stubborn, Dokyungie? You know it can’t be that bad to miss class, right?” Haebin spoke as if she was talking to Dokyung right now. “Class doesn’t matter sometimes…it’s your well-being that matters. You made our classmates worry…you made ME worry…” She inched closer, their faces inches apart. 

The thump on Haebin’s heart got louder. In their close proximity, Haebin gazed at Dokyung, from her precious closed eyes, fine nose, even at her pale lips. Haebin inched even closer when Dokyung’s eyes opened.

Haebin froze as much as Dokyung did. Dokyung lowered her head when Haebin held her chin so that they look at each other.

“Dokyungie?”

“I…” Dokyung tries to formulate some words. “…t-thank you for all this…”

“It’s has been a pleasure…” Haebin smiled, petting Dokyung’s head. “I would do anything for the one I love, Dokyung.”

Haebin kissed her forehead. Dokyung’s eyes dilated and she felt that thump on her chest. But then, her body was getting tired again.

“Rest now, Dokyungie.” Haebin whispered.

Dokyung couldn’t argue as she decided to go back to sleep.

I love you, Dokyungie…

Dokyung heard it right. She couldn’t react nor refute as she slumped back to dreamland.

+++

Dokyung was doing her usual reading in the library when she felt a poke by her side. She looked to see Jeongmi.

"What is it?" Dokyung asked.

"I hate to break the bubble into the whole works here..." Jeongmi whispered to her. "...but I heard feom some classmates that Haebin has plans of courting you."

“Great job spoiling the surprise, Jeongmi…” Haebin said, coming into view. “No wonder you're last place in class."

Jeongmi harrumphed and left the two lovebirds. Dokyung sighed as Haebin sat next to her. With the talk earlier, Haebin could lower her head but Dokyung held her hand to lessen her timidness.

"I heard, Haebin..." Dokyung said. "...but I wouldn't mind."

Haebin had bells ringing in her head because of what Dokyung said. Haebin looked at the charming classmate as she saw her signature smile that made her fall in love with her.

"Seriously?" Haebin gulped a bit as she asked that.

"Ne." Dokyung nodded. "You really cared for me, Haebin. And seeing you made me want to do the same thing for you...because you deserve so."

Haebin wanted to kiss her at the spot but some were already watching the two. Dokyung got back to her book, her hold on Haebin's hand still intact. Haebin smiled and leaned onto Dokyung's shoulder and enjoyed the little moment with her.

+++

Haebin was excited to get herself out of the classroom to go to the office. Dokyung was called for an important meeting and Haebin wanted to wait for her so that they can eat out. Haebin got to the door when she heard something that made her freeze.

Congratulations, Miss Shim. You have been granted a scholarship to Harvard. 

Thank you, ma'am. I might have plans to study abroad after this semester.

The school shall miss you, Miss Shim.

Thank you, ma'am. I'll miss this school too.

Haebin couldn't believe it. If Dokyung was to study abroad at the end of the semester, does this mean she won't see her again?

"Haebin?"

Haebin gulped as Dokyung faced her. Dokyung reckoned that Haebin has heard the conversation that she couldn't muster enough courage to face her.

"Are you okay, Dokyung?" Haebin averted the topic as she asked. “Why don’t we get you to the clinic?”

"I'm alright, Haebin." Dokyung said. "What are you doing anyways?"

"Waiting for you." Haebin said. "I wanted us to eat together."

"Okay." Dokyung said.

Dokyung lent a hand and Haebin held it instantly. Dokyung decided to take Haebin out and Haebin was happy for the moment.

For her, it might be the last day she'll be happy.

+++

Dokyung and Haebin went out to eat but their moments didn't end there. Dokyung would ask Haebin on what she wanted to do and Dokyung agreed to do all Haebin's favorite things together with her. Haebin was taken aback but she was happy.

The talk earlier rooted on Haebin's head after they were done and she couldn't muster happiness anymore. During a walk back to their homes, Haebin held onto Dokyung's arm for as long as she could.

"Dokyungie?" Haebin called.

"Yes?" Dokyung responded.

"Is it true that you're going to study overseas soon?" 

Dokyung froze and Haebin reaches for her face so that they look at each other. Haebin got a nod and she hugged Dokyung, her head close to her chest. Dokyung hugged back.

"I would've told you but I was afraid." Dokyung mumbled. 

Haebin got that point but why did that point had to come in their lives? They already had a special relationship, almost in the brink of being a couple, but it had to be taken so soon.

Later, Dokyung got Haebin home. Haebin was thankful but she didn't want to let Dokyung leave. Haebin wrapped her arms around Dokyung's neck and her fingers tangled by her hair.

"Do you really have to go?" Haebin pouted.

"Yeah." Dokyung nodded. "I'll still see you tomorrow."

Haebin got closer and kissed her lips. Dokyung was taken aback but eventually, she kissed back. They broke after a few seconds and looked at each other.

"See you, Haebin-ah." Dokyung said as she lets go.

Haebin nodded as Dokyung went on. Haebin would've sulked because Dokyung had to go but the kiss changed everything.

She plastered a smile.

+++

She plastered a sad look.

It was already the second semester and there was no more sign of Shim Dokyung within the premises. She sighed and looked up.

"Yah..." Haebin huffed. "...wherever you are now, my heart wil always be bound to you."

The ring of the bell went around the campus and Haebin decided to get her classes as she welcomes a steong heart which will always have Dokyung as a part of it.