2/2

If Not Us, Who?

Minseok is fine. Jongdae is a past chapter of his life and he is absolutely fine.

He looks around in the park and then notices the large elm tree. Jongdae loves elm trees. He finds them majestic. Minseok shakes his head. No. He’s fine. It’s over. He doesn’t think of Jongdae anymore. He hurries past the tree and forces himself to look at the river. There are a couple holding hands while the girl is balancing on the steps of the stairs. They used to do that when they were in college and in love.

Minseok scolds himself once again and hurries past the loving couple. He stares at the gravel but the smell of newly cut grass and his pollen allergy reminds him of Jongdae and it’s making his heart ache so bad.

He wants to be okay, has fooled himself into believing that he is more than okay but everywhere around him is Jongdae and Minseok wants to sit down and cry again. He’s a grown-up, he scolds himself. He’s not a teenager anymore, this really shouldn’t be a big deal.

But it is and it hurts so much to know that he’s no longer in a relationship. That somewhere along the way Jongdae fell out of love. What hurts the most, however, is not having seen it coming.

Minseok should have seen it coming. He should have noticed the signs. Minseo’s old teenage magazines would have been able to tell him that this wasn’t meant to be. Yet his heart still aches and screams and begs for Jongdae to return to him, for this to be a bad dream.

But it isn’t. Minseok kicks a stone but the sound of the stone rolling over the path and onto the bicycle road, has memories of Jongdae’s laughter surface. Everything is horrible.

Minseok is not fine.

 

“Byun Events, Byun Baekhyun speaking,” Baekhyun says when he picks up the phone. He grabs his notepad and a pencil when the person on the other end requests the planning of a baby shower. He asks the obligatory questions before he asks if they can arrange an appointment and discuss the details.

Baekhyun has been burying himself in work ever since Taeyeon told him he had been drunk and cried for Chanyeol. Baekhyun wants to deny that he’s affected by their break-up but he knows that Taeyeon and Jiyong see right through him. That doesn’t stop him from at least trying to fool himself, however. His parents have picked up his stuff from Chanyeol’s apartment. Baekhyun didn’t actually go with them, he doesn’t want to look at Chanyeol. He doesn’t want anything to do with the other man if he can get away with it. His reaction to the break-up scares him and it’s better drowned in events. It helps that it’s wedding season.

 

Kyungsoo sighs as he stands outside the large office building. He doesn’t know why he was chosen to arrange the baby shower for Sohyun but it’s a happy distraction from Jongin. Kyungsoo worries about him. He hasn’t been able to get in contact with him at all ever since they broke up and while it should be understandable, it still worries him unnecessarily. Kyungsoo would rather just forget Jongin, but it seems impossible.

With a last deep breath he steps inside the office and looks around. There’s a large desk and behind it sits a man with red hair. Kyungsoo squints a little before he lets it go. The man looks up and sends him a dazzling smile.

“Mr. Do?” he asks and Kyungsoo nods. “Ah, yes. Hang on, I’ll be with you right away!”

He turns back to his computer for a minute. Kyungsoo counts the art on the wall and is startled out of his stance when he hears the man talk to him again. He’s led into a smaller office and then the man reaches out a hand.

“I’m Byun Baekhyun, I’m looking forward to working with you.”

 

Chanyeol should feel bad. He should feel awful. His apartment is half-empty without Baekhyun’s things and his heart is still broken, but he doesn’t feel bad at all. It’s not right.

He laughs at the joke Jongdae cracks beside him and takes a sip of his beer. When it became habitual for them to go out on Fridays after work if none of them has a weekend shift, he doesn’t know. But Chanyeol enjoys the break from the grave reminder that he is now single after a 5-year long relationship.

“You should have seen his face,” Jongdae says and takes another sip of his beer. The smaller man is slightly tipsy but Chanyeol doesn’t mind. He’s talkative, even more so when tipsy, but his stories are interesting and mundane at the same time. He doesn’t talk about work or requires anything of Chanyeol. He helps him when his gestures become a little too energetic and Chanyeol feels comfortable in his company.

Chanyeol should feel horrible with his break-up but when he’s with Jongdae he’s able to forget, just a little bit.

 

“This is Kim Minseok, our new HR manager,” the director says and Minseok reaches out to shake the hands of the employees. He has gotten so many new informations, his head feels like it’s bursting but he’s looking forward to start work. Maybe it can take his mind off of things.

He sends them a smile and turns back to the director when he is given more information. It’s going to be great when he starts working for real again. Maybe that will make it easier to forget everything that has happened in the past weeks.

 

Jongin smiles as he helps Hyein on the swing and pushes her lightly. She laughs and shouts for him to push her higher. Taemin observes them silently with Jungwoo in the pram next to him. Being with Taemin’s family helps take his mind off of his own failure in his past relationship. It works wonders, if he has to be honest. With Hyein he is the weird uncle, the one that is both scary and familiar. Taemin is his best friend and they’ve known each other since they were kids. It’s comfortable in a way that makes Jongin feel accepted as a person, as a whole.

When Hyein doesn’t want to swing anymore, Jongin helps her off the swing and lets her run off towards the sand box. Taemin just observes her to make sure nothing happens.

“We got a new HR manager,” Jongin says when he sits down next to Taemin.

“Huh?” Taemin answers and then hurries off the bench he’s sitting on when Hyein stumbles and starts wailing. Jongin is a little impressed with how being a father has changed his best friend, but he hasn’t told Taemin that. He knows Taemin won’t be flattered. Still, it’s a wonderful change that has happened. He wishes it would be him. He had always thought of him and Kyungsoo with two of their owns.

At the thought of Kyungsoo his mood falls. No. This wasn’t supposed to happen. He looks down at Jungwoo in the pram but it doesn’t make it any better and Jongin can almost feel the tears form in his eyes. Goddammit.

Taemin returns after a minute. Hyein is sitting in the sand box, building what Jongin guesses is supposed to be a sand castle.

“New HR manager, huh?” Taemin says when he sits down again and automatically starts rocking the pram a little. Jongin nods.

“Yeah… I don’t know if he can be as good as the former, though. Junsu was amazing, shame he had to move to Mokpo.”

Taemin nods a little.

“Yeah. So how are you really doing? Don’t say all is fine, I know you.”

Jongin sighs.

“I’m holding up, I guess. It’s easier when I’m with you guys, it makes it less lonely and there’s less time to think about …” Jongin chokes up at the thought of Kyungsoo. “Yeah, you know. It’s easier when I’m busy with you guys…”

Taemin nods a little again and sends him a smile.

“You know you’re always welcome if you need it. We appreciate your help.”

Jongin just bites his lower lip so he doesn’t start crying right there in the park in front of his best friend.

 

Baekhyun is looking through fabric samples to make bows of when the door to his office opens and he looks up to get eye contact with Kyungsoo. He smiles kindly and puts the two fabric samples away so he can direct his full attention to the other man.

“Is everything okay?” Kyungsoo asks before Baekhyun gets to say a way.

“Yes, I would say so.”

Kyungsoo smiles back. It looks soft on him. When he smiles, he doesn’t look like a busy pilot, but Baekhyun knows his occupation. Kyungsoo hasn’t said a lot about himself during their meetings but Baekhyun has managed to get a little out of Kyungsoo, mainly because the woman they’re planning a baby shower for is a stewardess and it would be cute if there were a small theme of airplanes and skies as well.

“Do you like the yellow airplanes or the blue sky better?” Baekhyun suddenly asks and holds up the two fabric samples. Kyungsoo tilts his head and Baekhyun bites his tongue before he blurts out something stupid he shouldn’t be saying because it’s only been a month since he broke up with Chanyeol.

“The yellow one. It’s more genderneutral, don’t you think?” Kyungsoo says and Baekhyun just automatically agrees. Whatever the customer wants. “Ah, but I was just checking in to see how things went. You’ll be done in two weeks, right?”

Baekhyun nods.

“Absolutely. Trust me, it’ll be a baby shower she’ll never forget.”

Kyungsoo smiles again, one of those soft smiles that Baekhyun shouldn’t notice, but does anyway.

 

This is not good, Jongdae reasons. Chanyeol is a nice companion, maybe a little too nice. He listens and responds whenever Jongdae talks and he doesn’t seem bothered by Jongdae’s rants. His smile is nice and warm and he makes Jongdae feel comfortable and safe. This is just not good, but maybe he is getting a little too comfortable with Chanyeol.

He still thinks of Minseok occasionally but the guilt of breaking up has long since translated into relief and while he feels bad because of how happy he has become after their break-up he doesn’t really want to force himself to feel bad either. His friends think it’s weird. Break-ups are supposed to be sad and they’re supposed to hurt for months, but Jongdae isn’t hurting.

No, Jongdae feels great – even if he shouldn’t.

 

“How’s your apartment?” Minseo asks and Minseok frowns.

“It’s … fine?”

He doesn’t understand her question and he understands it less when she chuckles.

“Oh, so you didn’t fall into fast food and no cleaning when you …” Then she stops and looks at him guiltily. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to bring it up. Is it getting any better?”

Minseok scoffs and takes a sip of his coffee and burns his upper lips. He yelps and almost spills the coffee when he removes the cup from his lips.

“I’m fine. Really. I’m over him.”

Minseo doesn’t say anything but Minseok knows she thinks it. That he can’t be fine when it has been so few weeks and maybe he isn’t really fine but he didn’t invite his sister out for a cup of coffee to discuss his break-up with Jongdae and he’d rather they don’t talk about it at all. He knows she understands because she doesn’t bring it up more throughout their coffee date.

When they part, she hugs him tightly and pats his back twice and Minseok almost chokes up. He manages to hold it in, however, and only lets a tear roll down his cheek when he watches her back disappear into the subway train. He really needs to get over Jongdae and he needs to get over him fast.

 

Maybe Kyungsoo isn’t completely ready for this. Woobin nudges his side and gives him a thumbs up and a smile. He looks like he’s about to say something but they get interrupted by Woobin’s daughter who wants to borrow his phone. Kyungsoo looks around and notices the smiles on his co-worker’s lips. Majority of them have brought their partners and children along and while Kyungsoo never really wanted kids and he’s used to being the only homoual in his social circle, his sudden singlehood feels a lot more pressing now.

He hasn’t told more than a few of his co-worker that he and Jongin has broken up and it pains him to hear the question “How is Jongin?” from those of his co-workers that know he has a boyfriend… or well, who knows he used to have a boyfriend. So far Joongki has done his best to distract people from asking too many questions and Kyungsoo appreciates the gesture. It just shouldn’t be necessary. He should have been able to tell people that they broke it off, that they’re no longer a couple, that he is once again single in their group of tight-knit colleagues, but Kyungsoo can’t say it and the longer he stays, the more he is reminded of what he would have had, had he not broken up with Jongin.

 

This is wrong. Chanyeol stares at the papers in his hand and frowns. He doesn’t get it. The numbers don’t make any sense and it most definitely doesn’t match what’s in the box in front of him.

“2x Adrenaline,” he reads off of the sheet and finds 5 medical ampoules that are all labelled Adrenaline SAD. He continues his hunt through their cardiac arrest box. There is too little saline in the box and only one ampoule of amiodarone. He counts at least 7 23G needles and only 2 18g needles.

Chanyeol is getting increasingly annoyed with his co-worker. It makes no sense that their cardiac arrest box is in such a disarray should they need it. He doesn’t want to scold the other man, however, because he’s too tired to cause arguments. Instead he makes sure to count and recount a million times so he’s sure that he at least knows what’s missing and what’s there.

This isn’t really Chanyeol’s job. An EMT would have been able to do this as well, but considering the mistakes Chanyeol isn’t sure he trusts the EMT’s to do this. It doesn’t really matter whether he trusts them or not, however, because the reason he’s here isn’t to actually keep track of the cardiac arrest box, it’s to get his mind under control.

He has been meeting up with Jongdae for the past three months and it starting to feel wrong. He may have started growing fond of the other man and he really shouldn’t be. He knows that Jongdae isn’t straight because Jongdae had a boyfriend but they haven’t spoken about private matters like that. It also feels like he’s cheating on Baekhyun, despite them no longer being together. It’s not really right to start feeling new fond feelings. He should still be heartbroken. Chanyeol needs to get his mind under control.

 

“Hey, I’m looking for Jeon Haerim,” a man says behind him and Jongin looks up from his computer and blinks behind his frames. The man is short, dressed in a shirt and a pair of nicely pressed pants. He looks good. Jongin surprises himself with that thought and shakes his head shortly.

“Ah, yes, over there,” he says and points down the hallway. The man nods a little and then tilts his head.

“I don’t think I’ve met you, have I?”

Jongin contemplates saying yes for a short second and just letting the stranger pass by so he doesn’t have to deal with thoughts he doesn’t want to deal with and so he can return to the code he’s writing right now so he doesn’t forget it. Instead he shakes his head.

“No, I don’t think so. Kim Jongin,” he says and reaches out his hand. The other man shakes his hand and smiles. It looks cute. No. No, it doesn’t. Jongin isn’t looking for cute anyway.

“Kim Minseok. I’m the new HR manager.”

Jongin nods a little in recognition.

“Ah, yes. Anyway, Haerim is down there if you need her,” he says and points down the hallway again when he lets go of Minseok’s hand. Minseok sends him a kind smile and then leaves him. Jongin returns to his computer screen and shakes his head slightly. He needs to focus.

 

Baekhyun stretches his hands over his head and leans back in his chair. Then the front door opens and he hurries to sit up straight and look professional. The short man that enters the office has Baekhyun raising an eyebrow, however.

“Kyungsoo?” he says and Kyungsoo turns around to look at him startled.

“Oh,” he says and Baekhyun tilts his head in a question. Kyungsoo doesn’t elaborate, however. It makes Baekhyun nervous. There is no doubt that Kyungsoo is a good-looking man, but Baekhyun is still kind of fresh out of a relationship and while he doesn’t really miss Chanyeol, he can’t go around drooling over good-looking men. Taeyeon would judge him far too much and he really doesn’t want to hear that he’s looking for a rebound because if there is one thing Baekhyun is not looking for it’s a rebound. He wouldn’t be able to deal with another Chanyeol. Baekhyun is smarter now.

“What can I do for you?” he asks when Kyungsoo has kept silent for too many seconds. Kyungsoo just sighs a little.

“This is going to sound stupid, but apparently my co-workers liked the baby shower so much, they decided to let me plan the yearly summer party and you know me, I at planning. So here I am, hoping that you can help me with this even if it’s as informal as something can be.”

Kyungsoo sends him one of those smiles again and Baekhyun bites his cheek to keep himself from smiling as well.

“Of course. No problem. Do you want to discuss it now?”

 

Jongdae leans back against the couch and closes his eyes. The TV is showing a drama he hasn’t been following. There is drama going on but it’s a nice change from his own mundane life and it helps to listen to other’s drama instead of his own. When he opens his eyes a minute later and turns his head towards the TV an elderly woman slaps a bunch of money on a table and the young woman, presumably the leading woman, gets up from her chair and refuses to leave her love for money. It only results in the elderly lady threatening her. Jongdae sighs a little. Maybe dramas are a little too dramatic to his liking. He turns off the TV and grabs his phone instead, noticing a missed call from Sanghyuk. Jongdae quickly redials and calls his old friend again.

“Hey,” Sanghyuk says and it sounds like he’s balancing something before he plops down on a chair in a more quiet room. “I was wondering how you’re holding up on the single life?”

Jongdae sighs a little.

“Uhm, well about that…” he says and gets interrupted by Sanghyuk.

“No way!”

Jongdae frowns a little.

“What’s that supposed to mean? I didn’t get a new boyfriend or anything if that’s what you’re implying.”

Sanghyuk chuckles a little.

“But you met someone, didn’t you?”

Jongdae quiets down. Did he? Is Chanyeol really worth all the thoughts he’s spending on him? Yes, he is. That Jongdae is sure of. He doesn’t want to admit that to Sanghyuk, however, so he dodges the question and asks to Yuna instead.

 

Minseok laughs and clings to Sungmin, who shakes his head. Minseok feels great. He feels absolutely wonderful and downing the two bottles of soju along with a few strong liquor shots have made everything so easy. It’s easy to forget Jongdae, it’s easy to flirt, it’s easy to be single. All the hardships has disappeared.

Yes, it must be annoying for Sungmin who has joined him, but Minseok doesn’t really want to think about that. That will only mean guilt and Minseok really doesn’t want to feel guilty. Not right now. Not when he’s finally free. He’s finally allowed to be single and be him. He doesn’t have to listen to Jongdae’s rants, he doesn’t have to talk more than necessary. He doesn’t even have to share his shampoo. It’s great.

Well, it’s great until he flirts a little too much with another man and almost gets into a fight. Then he gets nauseous and has to stop in the middle of the street to gain his composure. Sungmin looks at him worriedly but Minseok waves the concern away. He’s 30, he can handle being drunk. Because denying that he’s drunk would be pretty pointless.

The nausea doesn’t let up, however and when he vomits into the toilet in Sungmin’s house, he suddenly wishes he wasn’t single anymore. Being single is difficult. Being in a relationship is much easier, much safer. Minseok hates Jongdae for bringing him misery like this.

 

Kyungsoo has the most beautiful laugh, Baekhyun decides as they sit in the café opposite each other. They were technically supposed to talk about the summer party but the conversation has long since drifted into private matters and while Baekhyun knows a little about Kyungsoo such as his work, this is a whole new level of knowledge and Baekhyun finds that he likes it.

Kyungsoo is interesting. He’s fast-paced like Baekhyun, loves to get things done the right way, a little perfectionistic, highly logical. He also has the most adorable smile that Baekhyun shouldn’t keep fancying but the more he sees it, the more he realizes that Kyungsoo not only is interesting as a person but also a very handsome man.

Baekhyun shouldn’t be falling in love so shortly after his break-up with Chanyeol, not really. But Kyungsoo is everything Chanyeol isn’t and Baekhyun can’t help but feel attracted to him.

 

“What does this mean?” Jongdae asks and Chanyeol tilts his head.

“What does what mean?” he asks and takes a sip of his beer. Jongdae points between them with a finger.

“The two of us meeting up like this every Friday to get a beer. It’s been months.”

Chanyeol doesn’t understand.

“What?” he asks confused. It means they’re friends, doesn’t it? Chanyeol considers Jongdae a friend. Maybe he considers Jongdae a small crush but he is definitely not going to admit that out loud and definitely not to Jongdae. They’re friends and Chanyeol isn’t going to lose whatever it is between them by admitting he find Jongdae attractive.

“Okay, so I’m drunk right now, so please forgive me, but I’ve been thinking. You know, I think it was fate when we met in the cafeteria that time months ago, don’t you think so?” Jongdae says. Chanyeol laughs.

“What are you on about?” he asks and Jongdae sighs exasperated.

“Nevermind,” he says and waves a hand in front of his face to wave the conversation away. Chanyeol isn’t going to let it go that easily, however.

“No, Jongdae. What do you mean?”

Jongdae shakes his head and Chanyeol wants to grab his shoulders and shake him. So he does. It’s intuitive and sudden and everything he doesn’t expect when Jongdae leans forward and places his lips on Chanyeol’s. The kiss is short, can barely be called a kiss but Chanyeol still knows that their lips touched. They definitely touched. It stirs butterflies in his stomach. Is he even allowed to be in love so early after a break-up? Is Jongdae even in love with him? This doesn’t make any sense. No. This shouldn’t be happening.

“What?” Chanyeol asks dumbfounded. Jongdae smiles a small shy smile. Chanyeol likes that smile. Wait, he shouldn’t think like that.

“Maybe I have a teeny-tiny crush on you and I know it’s hella wrong so forget this, forget this conversation. You’re a great friend Chanyeol, let’s keep it that way, okay? Forget this . I’m drunk. I didn’t mean to do that. It was because you shook me! I can’t control myself, you know. ty coordination when I’m drunk, ha ha ha.”

Chanyeol just looks at him and then smiles fondly.

 

If anyone had told Kyungsoo that he would feel attracted to Baekhyun when he was 18, he would have laughed out loud. At the same time, if anyone had told Kyungsoo he would be a pilot when he was 15 he would have laughed out loud as well. So maybe that isn’t a good measure. Unexpected things happen but falling for Baekhyun was definitely not in his plans.

Still, here he is, sitting in front of Baekhyun and laughing while he drinks his cup of coffee. It’s the fifth time they’re meeting up at cafés and they should be discussing the summer party, but they’re not. It feels like a casual outing, maybe even a casual date, but Kyungsoo doesn’t allow himself to entertain that thought.

Baekhyun understands his humor in a way that is refreshing. He understands the lack of verbalisation and talks enough for two anyway. He doesn’t complain about Kyungsoo being busy because he is busy himself. He is kind and genuine in everything he does. Kyungsoo has a hard time believing Baekhyun embodies what he needs, but the more time he spends with the other, the more obvious it becomes. And it’s painfully obvious.

 

Jongin sighs a little as he walks down the street. Being single hasn’t made him less lonely. In fact, it has probably made him more isolated. He doesn’t spend time with Taemin and Gwiboon any more, everyday life goes on and he can’t keep hanging around and being a burden so he has withdrawn. That, of course, means that he doesn’t get out as much as he used to and he only really sees the sky when he travels to and from work. Definitely not ideal, but easy. Jongin doesn’t mind the self-pity. It helps him a little.

He passes business men and women and school children in their uniforms. An elderly man walks passed him while smoking and Jongin frowns a little. He takes a look around and spots a small café. Maybe it’s on time he starts being a little social again.

He takes a quick decision and enters the café, only to be met with a sight he’d rather be without. Kyungsoo sits opposite a man, a cup of something in front of both of them. They’re laughing and smiling and Jongin feels his heart drop into his stomach.

Of course. He is a fool for thinking Kyungsoo cared enough about him to suffer in the same misery as Jongin. Kyungsoo would have moved on quickly. It was Jongin’s fault after all. He can’t tear his eyes away, however. He just stands there, in front of the door way, making it difficult to enter and exit the café and stares at his ex-boyfriend laughing with another man.

It isn’t until Kyungsoo turns his head and widens his eyes at the sight of Jongin, that Jongin is able to turn around and leave the café.

 

“What about you, Minseok? Do you any kids?” Sikyung asks and Minseok shakes his head a little.

“Ah, no, I don’t.”

Junghwa smiles a little.

“Your wife must be quite young,” she says and Minseok blinks in succession at the mention of a partner he doesn’t have. Then he shakes his head.

“No, I’m not married either.”

The more they prod, the more bitter he feels. He thought he was over it, but he still doesn’t like being single and the assumption that he has wife and children only makes it so much worse. Minseok knows his co-workers aren’t trying to be rude and that they’re not saying it to harm him. Really, Minseok should be better than to be hurt over this but he’s just not that strong and he’s definitely that petty. In the end, he just admits that he’s single. He doesn’t tell them more, however. His mood isn’t as good as it was before he went to lunch.

 

Jongdae looks at Chanyeol. Chanyeol looks at Jongdae.

“Are we really doing this?” Jongdae asks. His heart is beating fast in his chest and man, if he wished it wouldn’t. But it does and it’s because this question is something he hadn’t imagined when he met Chanyeol. Chanyeol nods a little.

“I mean, if you want to. It’s just a date.”

It’s just a date. Except it’s not just a date. It’s the first date after Jongdae broke it off with Minseok and he’s nervous. It’s not just as date because this is the first date with Chanyeol, a man that Jongdae has become fond of. A man that seems to fit where Jongdae lacks.

Chanyeol isn’t mysterious like Minseok was it. He isn’t silent and he understands Jongdae.

Jongdae really doesn’t want to mess this up. But this is supposed to be casual. It’s been 7 months, 5 of them as singles. It should be okay to go out again, to start dating again. This isn’t rebound, not anymore. Jongdae doesn’t want Minseok back. All he wants is Chanyeol.

“I want to.”

Chanyeol lights up in a smile that almost blinds Jongdae. It’s perfect.

 

This was a stupid decision. Kyungsoo shouldn’t have invited Baekhyun to the annual summer party. His co-workers are nice, they don’t prod about their relationship and Baekhyun mingles well. Kyungsoo isn’t forced to stay at his side like he was with Jongin and Baekhyun doesn’t cause him any embarrassment or makes him uncomfortable. Baekhyun fits right in.

And that’s the problem, because it only makes it so much easier for Kyungsoo to see why he needs Baekhyun in his life. It only serves to give him another reason to keep crushing on him.

Kyungsoo empties his glass of beer and tunes in on a conversation between Hyungsoo and Woobin. Hyungsoo turns to Kyungsoo when he notices him and sends him a smile.

“Your new boyfriend is nice,” he says and Kyungsoo blinks. Wait, what?

“What?”

Woobin nods and agrees with Hyungsoo. Kyungsoo doesn’t really get it. His heart is beating fast and he turns around to look towards Baekhyun. He can feel a small blush creep onto his cheeks. No, this crush should be kept platonic.

 

Minsoek wants to choke someone. More specifically, he wants to choke Jongdae. They haven’t kept each other as friends on Facebook but Minseok thought he was ready to see what he was up to. He thought he was over the other man. But there on his Facebook feed is a small heart and two pictures, one of Jongdae and the other of a man he has never met. Underneath the heart is the text is in a relationship with Park Chanyeol.

Minseok really wasn’t ready for this.

“,” he says the minute someone enters his office and utters his name. Minseok turns around in his chair and looks at the young software technician.

“Hey,” Minseok says and tries to stay calm. It doesn’t work.

“Are you okay?” the young technician asks and Minseok deflates.

“Love is hard, isn’t it?” Minseok scoffs. “I’m sorry, let’s not talk about private matters. What brings you here?”

To his surprise, the man, Jongin, Minseok remembers, enters the office entirely and closes the door behind him before he flops into a chair.

“Tell me about it. I caught my ex-boyfriend on a new date. I guess love isn’t for me.”

Minseok nods a little.

“My ex-boyfriend just got in a new relationship and I’m still jealous. So much for being grown-up about this.”

Jongin laughs and Minseok smiles. It works to lift the atmosphere just a little and while Minseok never in his wildest fantasy had imagined that trash-talking Jongdae with his co-workers would be a good way to get over the other man, it’s oddly refreshing to talk to Jongin.

 

Baekhyun is running through the airport. Terminals are not supposed to be so far away from each other. It’s frustrating to put it mildly and Baekhyun is late. Very late. He’s panting, his bag bouncing against his hip but he continues his way towards the terminal, other passengers jumping away to give space for the running man. When he finally reaches the gate, he’s the last person to board. Sohyun looks at him with a smile and wishes him a pleasant journey and Baekhyun nods a little.

He recognizes the crew and while he finds his seat, he can’t help but wonder if Kyungsoo is flying the airplane. It would be a coincidence if he was.

When the seat belt signs turn off and the crew start their walk down the aisles Baekhyun has finally caught his breath. He recognizes Hyungsoo and sends him a smile.

“Hey, can I ask a question,” he asks when he’s handed the cup of orange juice he has asked for. Hyungsoo nods.

“Sure,” he says and Baekhyun smiles a little.

“Is Kyungsoo flying?”

He can see the mischievous glint in Hyungsoo’s eyes but he gets his yes anyway. It has butterflies fluttering around in his stomach. For some reason, Baekhyun hopes he gets a sight of him in the airport.

 

“No way,” Minseok says and Jongin nods firmly.

“Yes. Can you believe that?” he asks and feels comforted by Minseok’s shake of his head.

“Who doesn’t tell their lover they love them or miss them when they’re overseas, that’s absurd.”

Jongin laughs a little and takes a sip of his glass of water.

“Yes, that’s what I tried to tell him, but I guess he didn’t love me enough to tell me.”

“Grotesque,” Minseok says and Jongin smiles.

 

Chanyeol tilts his head and then turns the piece of wood in his hand. Jongdae sits on the arm chair and flips in the manual.

“Come on, you have to help me out here,” Chanyeol says and Jongdae looks up from the papers.

“I can’t even figure out what is up and down,” he says and Chanyeol rolls his eyes.

“How did you become a dentist?”

Jongdae laughs.

“Teeth are easy. You can see one part and the other is hidden. No chance of flipping them over or putting them in the wrong order. Which reminds me, you don’t have any dental floss.”

Chanyeol turns around to look at him with a raised eyebrow.

“Are you ing kidding me?” he asks and Jongdae starts laughing.

“C’mere,” he says and Chanyeol easily abandons the IKEA-dresser in favour of kissing Jongdae.

 

“That’s absurd,” Jongin says and Minseok nods.

“I know, but that’s what he said. I talk too little.”

“I can’t imagine that.”

Minseok laughs.

 

Kyungsoo needs to stop doubting himself. There is no doubt really, he’s in love with Baekhyun and stalling isn’t making his love any less. He might as well just get it over with. If this doesn’t work out, if he read the signs wrong, then he’ll take a break from love and just focus on flying around the world. But he can’t give up now. Not when it’s this close and all the signs point towards mutual feelings.

He has planned it all. He’s going to ask Baekhyun on a casual date. He doesn’t want to overdo it. He even went as far as asking Joongki on how to do it best, but the other man hadn’t been of much help.

All of it is shot down, however, when he notices Baekhyun in passport control, looking like he waits for someone. Mirae pats his shoulder as she passes but Kyungsoo can’t take his eyes off of the man with the red hair in the middle of tourists and locals. When Baekhyun recognizes him, however, he waves and Kyungsoo sends him a small wave back.

He laughs a little while Baekhyun walks in the opposite direction of everyone before he stands in front of Kyungsoo.

“This is a little awkward,” Baekhyun says. “But I thought I should wait for you. I’m not that busy.”

Kyungsoo smiles.

“We should have airport dates more often,” he says and only then realizes what he’s said.

“So this is date?” Baekhyun asks. Kyungsoo takes a deep breath.

“If you want it to be?”

“Do you want it to be?”

“Yes.”

The smile that spreads on Baekhyun’s face is enough to light up Kyungsoo’s entire world.

 

“I love dogs!” Jongin says. “Kyungsoo didn’t like dogs, however, so – no dogs. I’d love to get one, however.”

Minseok smiles over his cup of hot chocolate.

“Dogs are wonderful! Cats are awful, though. My sister had a cat once and it hated me. Satan’s spawn, I swear to God.”

Jongin starts laughing.

He had never believed that he would spend evenings in Minseok’s office, drinking hot chocolate after work and laughing. Jongin hasn’t laughed as much as he has done in the past month and it’s all because of Minseok. Taemin and Gwiboon even commented on the change. Jongin knows that it shouldn’t really justify falling in love with the man, but he has never met a man that seems to understand him so well. They are like two puzzle pieces that fit together effortlessly.

“If I tell you I might have fallen in love with you, what would you say?” Jongin asks after a silent moment in their conversation. Minseok closes his eyes and Jongin’s heart beats awfully fast in his chest at the chance of rejection. Then Minseok breaks into a smile.

“Do you want to go on a date with me?”

 

“Kyungsoo!” Baekhyun calls and fumbles with his hair in the hall mirror. Kyungsoo stands beside him 30 seconds later.

“There,” he says and reaches up to pat a stray strand of hair in place. Baekhyun turns around and smiles. They’re on their way to a Christmas party with Kyungsoo’s co-workers but they have plenty of time. There’s no running late, no unwanted attention. Baekhyun places a kiss on Kyungsoo’s cheek as a thank you and Kyungsoo just shakes his head fondly.

“Let’s go,” Kyungsoo says and grabs his jacket so he can get dressed. Baekhyun gets dressed as well and as they step outside, snow starts falling. Baekhyun snorts when Kyungsoo mumbles something about clichés and then locks the front door to their small house.

“You know,” Baekhyun says as he gets into the car and pulls off his gloves. Kyungsoo turns to look at him.

“Hm?” he asks and Baekhyun just leans over the gear switch to press a kiss to Kyungsoo’s lips.

“Let’s go. We don’t want to get there late, Sohyun is going to eat all the cake.”

Kyungsoo laughs and presses another kiss to Baekhyun’s lips before he turns towards the road.

 

Jongdae looks over his shoulder and smiles. Chanyeol is sleeping on the couch and Jongdae places his cross word in his lap as he observes his sleeping boyfriend. The wall clock is the only thing making a sound but it’s soft and homely. The atmosphere is warm and Jongdae decides to get up from the chair. He leaves the magazine on the chair and gently places himself next to Chanyeol on the couch. It wakes up the taller man and he raises a questioning eyebrow.

“Sleep,” Jongdae whispers and presses a kiss to Chanyeol’s cheek. He snuggles close to his chest and listens to Chanyeol’s heartbeat. Chanyeol falls into slumber again with Jongdae pressed against his chest. The warmth is slow and relaxing but it’s everything Jongdae could have ever wished for.

 

In an apartment in Jongam-dong is Jongin waking up from his afternoon nap. A small bark sounds throughout the apartment and then the front door opens. Jongin yawns sleepily and stretches his arms above his head before he reaches out towards his glasses. Minseok greets the puppy before he enters the living room and sends Jongin a smile.

“You shouldn’t sleep during the day, you won’t be able to fall asleep in the evening,” Minseok says and Jongin gets up from the couch to wrap his arms around his boyfriend.

“If you sleep next to me, I’ll always be able to sleep.”

Minseok laughs a little at that.

“I love you,” he says and Jongin beams.

“I love you too.”

Minseok just nods and pats Jongin’s chest before he pulls out of the embrace. Jongin pouts a little at the loss of contact. The puppy barks at them and they both turn to look at it before they look at each other.

“I love you more,” Minseok says with a glint in his eyes.

“I love you most,” Jongin counters and chuckles.

“I love you more than most. I win,” Minseok says before he runs into the kitchen, Jongin hot on his heels. They end up in the kitchen, Jongin leaning on Minseok’s back while Minseok fixes food for the puppy. Jongin couldn’t be happier.

 

I hope you enjoy it. ; - ; (Also, I know Xiukai's relationship might seem rushed but you really gotta read between the lines in their conversations. ;; They met far later than the other two couples but they also got together much later...) 

Please comment. <3