Tryouts

Hiding In The Shadows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Nayeon’s POV

Finally, the point of the day when it is time for the football tryouts comes around, and my friends and I are waiting patiently to see just how good Jiwon and her friends are. We are sitting on the bleachers alongside a couple of the other cheerleaders Yuna and Seolhyun, who as usual have come along to watch their girlfriends Chanmi and Hyejeong. The two are probably the only half decent players that our team has considering the Quarterback and team captain graduated last year, but hopefully that was about to change. A few freshman have shown up to the field, but the new girls have yet to show their faces. Jihyo is talking excitedly with Yuna, and Hyejeong and Seolhyun are chatting casually beside me, while I just look towards the school waiting patiently for Jiwon to show up. I watch as Hyejeong’s eyes widen and she stops talking to run off, I follow her with my eyes and see Jiwon casually walking towards the field with the other girls.

The five of them are instantly met with a very excited Hyejeong and Chanmi who has also jogged over to introduce herself. I can hear Hyejeong’s excited voice from where we are sitting.

“OMG! I can’t believe your actually here, It is such an honour. I’m Hyejeong, I’m sort of a temporary captain until we vote someone else in anyway.” She grins as Jiwon and Momo exchange a glance chuckling lightly.

“It’s nice to meet you too. Hyejeong, we are looking forward to showing you what we can do and maybe playing with you in the future.” She replies calmly holding out her hand for Hyejeong to shake.

“Oh, you’ll definitely make the team, I mean to be honest most of us kinda .” Chanmi answers sarcastically.

“Come on I’m sure you can’t be that bad.” Momo pipes up from beside Jiwon, as me and the other girls walk over to join them.

“They didn’t win a game all last season.” Jihyo says with a scoff. “So yeah they are pretty bad.”

“It really didn’t help that half of the team was more interested in partying then actually playing. I mean they were only playing for the attention it brought them.” Yuna adds in as she stands beside Chanmi with a smile.

“That’s why we booted them at the end of the year, we need serious players if we want to have an actual chance. I don’t want to be the laughing stock of the league again.” Hyejeong replies with a nod.

“That’s okay then, it’s a new year anyway, that means a fresh start.” Jiwon adds with small smile.

“Right.” Hyejeong smiles as the coach walks over grinning happily.

“Hello girls, it’s really great to see you here. I mean honestly we may as well just give you positions already, I’ve seen you play, you are all really talented!” The coach says with a grin.

Jiwon is quick to shake her head though. “No, we’ll try out like the rest of the people here, it’s only fair, but thank you. Plus, we’ve been looking forward to showing what we can do.” She replies with a smile and the rest of the girl’s nod agreeing.

“Okay well then in that case, we will play a scrimmage to determine the team members. Existing players versus the people here to try out.” He says with a grin and Hyejeong looks at him with her eyes wide. “What positions do you girls usually play?” He adds directing his gaze back to Jiwon and her friends.

“I play Quarterback, Momo here is a Wide Receiver, Chaeng plays Running Back, Jungyeon Left Guard and Tzuyu Center.” Jiwon replies and the coach grins once more.

“Alright then go get ready and meet back on the field in five.” He replies and the girls all nod. Jiwon throws a quick grin my way, leaning in with a smug smirk.

“You should watch and see how it’s done.” She says as she passes me winking, before jogging off after the other girls.

I feel Jihyo elbow me in the side with a smug grin, I just ignore her as we all make our way back to the bleachers to watch.

After a few minutes, all the players come back out, the newbies all gather together, Jiwon giving them instructions as they all listen carefully, I look over and see Hyejeong nervously doing the same glancing over at Jiwon every few seconds.

The two teams make their way onto the field, Jiwon exchanging glances with her friends as they nod as though making a silent agreement. The play starts, Jiwon calling the play and Tzuyu snapping the ball to her. The ball is straight away passed to Momo, who takes off dodging the defence as though they are non-existent. Whenever one does get close they are instantly blocked by Jungyeon or Tzuyu, who throw them aside with ease. Chaeyoung zips through the play quickly as Momo hands off the ball to her, and she flies down the field, before handing off the ball to Jiwon who easily makes her way through the defence, before scoring a touchdown with a grin on her face.

The rest of the game goes by in much the same way, Hyejeong and the rest of her team barely able to keep up as Jiwon and the others, fly around the field, the ball being passed with incredible strength and ease. Their defence equally as strong as their offence. It doesn’t take long before the game is over and the five stars of the game jog off the field looking as if they aren’t even

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter