Hyung

The Aftermath of Rain

I was still trying to gather myself in the kitchen when Yongguk appeared. By the way he simply leaned onto the counter and stared at me, I knew he had come for me and not food. Unable to bear the silent piercing gaze for long, I spun the glass of water I had finally obtained and spoke.
"We broke up." Apparently that came as a surprise; it took him a while to give a response and it was hesitant when it came.
"I... see." He paused and sighed. "Daehyun, I'm still pissed, and you and Youngjae are still idiots, but you don't have to break up. It's not alright to break two people who like each other up. Even if they're goddamned idiots." I shook my head, almost smiling at the kindness that showed through even when he was angry.
"It's better like this. Our relationship would have just suffered a slow and painful death if I tried to keep it going. It's better with a quick end." I did not look at Yongguk as he stood there considering my words. He was probably too upset with us to argue the point whether or not he thought what I said made any sense. 

"Well, I guess there's no point telling you to keep your hands off each other for a while then."
"That's what you came here to do?"
"Yeah. I still want to fry you so I'm going to leave before the impulse gets too strong."
"No, wait," I was quick to exclaim, "you need to explain to me what is going on." He hesitated, arms crossed over his chest and no longer leaning back on the counter.
"I don't need to tell you a single thing, Daehyun."
"Yes, you do. How else am I supposed to fix it?"
"This isn't something you can just fix."
"I- I know. Okay? I know I ed up. I know I... need to suffer for it. But I have to know what is going on so I can at least avoid making things worse. Please." Yongguk hesitated, and I desperately pushed forward. "I thought about it, and really I just see two possibilities. Either he has some kind of, I don't know, trauma from his past that was triggered when we- uh. Or he... or Jongup likes one of us. The way he cried and ran off, the way you and Himchan reacted, I don't think it was just the standard bout of shock."
"Well, you got that much right," Yongguk muttered, sneering. Trying to ignore the stab of hurt at his tone, his words, everything he had said to me today - the peaceful, calm, kind and reliable Yongguk - I pushed on. 

"So which one is it? Please tell me. I need to know."
"It's Jongup's privacy. If he wanted you to know, he would have told you."
"He probably wanted me to know he was awake before I started ing Youngjae in front of him last night, but he didn't tell me that either," I retorted, unable to keep my frustration back. Pain flashed across my cheek as my head snapped to the side. The idea was so foreign it took me several seconds to figure out what had happened. Yongguk-hyung had actually slapped me.
"I'm sorry," he said, heaving heavy breaths as he glared into my wide, confused eyes. "I couldn't contain myself. I don't believe in violence. You know that. But you- the way you said that-" Blowing out air, he seemed to try to calm down. "I'm sorry but you deserved that. Blame your own tongue for running, Jung Daehyun." Then he, too, left.