See-through

The Aftermath of Rain

When I entered the kitchen to get a glass of water, I found my boyfriend eating a sandwich. He put it down as I grabbed a glass, swallowing the latest bite before speaking.
"Daehyun, are you alright?" I wanted to look at him and nod, but instead my gaze dropped to the floor. I had not quite thought my next actions through, but my gut was telling me this was the way it had to be. As often as my gut was wrong about other things, I always trusted it when it told me something was not going to work out. My gut had its reasons, I had been forced to learn. Whether I could see them or not. 

"Youngjae I..." he barely allowed me the time to trail off before speaking himself.
"Are you breaking up with me?" His voice broke and I felt tears building in my eyes as I turned them to him.
"You really know me well, don't you..."
"I'd scream and I'd cuss you out like you've never heard before, Jung Daehyun, but yes. I do know you too ing well." Grabbing the empty glass out of my hand, he filled it with cold water and downed it himself. "I know you never liked me like I did you. I was just good enough."
"Youngjae, that's not-"
"Shut up," he said, showing a lopsided, painful smile. "I'm not gonna go all self-deprecating on you. You don't need to tell me I'm good as I am and you like me and all that . I just know I wasn't really the one for you. And now that this happened, you've thought long and hard, and decided that whatever Jongup's deal is, seeing the two of us being intimate will hurt him one way or another. So a relationship with me isn't worth it anymore." It stung. I tried hard to keep my tears from falling, tried to keep my eyes locked on his just as wet ones. If he did not cry, how could I? 

"I'm sorry," I said. "I just... I never wanted anyone to get hurt."
"I know."
"I do like you."
"I know."
"...Do you-" I started, but was cut off as his free hand cupped my cheek and he kissed me deep and short.
"Want one last kiss?" he whispered through lips a bare inch from mine. "Hell yes." And then he grabbed his sandwich and left.