The Arrival of Jang Min Hwa

I Called Him Hyung, He Calls Me Boy

 

Chapter One

The Arrival of Jang Min Hwa

 

Mi Hyun pulled at her hair in frustration, however despite her incessant tugging, it refused to grow back to its original size. She sighed and tried to let it go, slamming the door to her locker and turning to head into lunch. Her previous classes had been alright. She was a pretty quiet girl, and as such, did not present much of an opportunity for them to direct their attention to her.

She clicked her lock back into place, straightening up and clashing into the body of someone else, backing away and glancing towards whomever she had accidentally bumped against. Mi Hyun’s eyes grew large as was prepared to fall over herself with apologizing in seeing the identity of the boy that was now brushing himself off. His dark brunette hair fell into his eyes that seemed to sparkle as though they contained the stars. Her breath was lost as Mi Hyun stood right in front of Lee Donghae, who was known as the prince of the school. She had never even spoken a word to him.

Mi Hyun mumbled a slight apology, however he shrugged it off and did not seem the slightest bit phased. He glanced her over before tilting his head to the side.  “You’re new here, aren’t you?” Donghae asked her and Mi Hyun’s heart dropped into her stomach. She knew that it was foolish to believe he would have already known her. They had never shared a class together, let alone, even make eye contact.

“Um, actually-” She was going to deny his assumption, however he cut her off mid-sentence.

“I’m Donghae, by the way,” He gave her a slight smile, and the warmth it brought forth made her head spin as she returned his smile with a dumb one of her own. The awkward silence that was beginning to build up caused him to raise his eyebrow slightly, “…And you are?”

“Oh, mianhae, hyung.”  She stumbled out the apology when she realized that he had been waiting for an introduction of her own. Mi Hyun then froze. What had she just called him? When Mi Hyun had been little, her older brother had believed it would be amusing to teach her to call those around her “hyung”, as then she would be implying that she was a male. As she was naïve, she had went along with what her brother had told her, however had eventually figured it out when people gave her such odd looks. Why would she make the mistake now? She had learned her lesson many years ago. Mi Hyun picked a crack in the floor to immerse her attention in so that Donghae couldn’t see the flush that slowly crept along her cheeks, painting them a bright crimson.

“Er, it’s alright.” He told her, patting her on the shoulder roughly –as though she was a guy or something. “I didn’t realize you already thought of me as your hyung,” He chuckled, “We just met, boy-I-still-don’t-know-the-name-of.”

Mi Hyun had believed he would’ve taunted her for her mistake. It slowly dawned on her, however, that he had just referred to her as a…boy. Lee Donghae, the boy she had been crushing on since he had moved to Seoul thought she was also a guy? It all came crashing down on her as she tried not to hyperventilate, her body going into panic.

“If you really want that though, I guess I’ll be your hyung.” Donghae filled in the stunned silence that Mi Hyun had, misunderstanding the reason her body was completely tensed right in front of him.

Finally, Mi Hyun swallowed. It was cruel that when she had been completely secure in looking like a girl, he had never given her the time of day. Now, as he believed her to be a guy, he actually wanted to be her friend –taking the new kid of the school under his wing. She knew it was immature to indulge herself in the lie. In these kinds of situations, entering into such a false world only led to harm later. Mi Hyun was tired of being ignored though. She wanted a chance to finally get close to him.

“Jang Min Hwa.”

“What?” Donghae asked at her spontaneous burst of words.

“That’s my name,” Mi Hyun finally said, “Jang Min Hwa.” 

 

Author's Note:

It was hell to try and write the first chapter, because I hate when chapters are so awkward seeming. I'm sorry it's so slow. I promise you it'll get better. 

~*Carissa*~