Complications

Ever After

It was hard for Luna to get pregnant the first time with Johnny. Nothing but needles and negative test had left her broken, asking herself what was wrong with her. When she found out that her fertility treatments had finally worked she cried so hard. Now she was going through the whole process again. Her pregnancy with Johnny was met with some complications; she had almost lost him twice. Now, her doctor was telling both her and Amber that if she were to conceive again, it could be an even higher risk pregnancy.

Amber held her hand through the whole appointment as she silently stared at the wall. Her doctor gave her a lower dose of birth control to help get her body ready for possible conception. She felt Amber squeeze her hand and she turned to him. Her gave her a small smile and she quickly smiled back. From the minute they started dating she knew that she wanted to have his children, but now that they were trying her body was fighting it.

The trip home was quiet as Luna quietly looked out the window. Amber reached for her hand and held it until they returned home. As soon as they opened the front door they heard laughter followed by Wendy walking towards them holding a smiling Johnny.

 

“Here’s Johnny.”

, she said referencing The Shining. Amber shook his head before reaching for his son,

 

“Cousin Wendy, I’m not crazy.”

 

, Wendy laughed before pinching Johhny’s cheek. She turned to greet Luna but stopped short. She turned to Amber who simply shook his head. Wendy gently hugged her cousin and bid the young family goodbye.

 

Later that night while Johnny was fast asleep Luna sat curled up on the couch. She had the t.v. volume so low but she didn’t care as everything her doctor told her ran through her head. She didn’t notice Amber approach her until he shut te television off.

 

They sat in tangible silence until Amber spoke first,

“Luna…”

,he turned to her. She bit the inside of her cheek as she ran her hands up her arms. Amber patiently waited for her to collect her thoughts. It was rare when she was this quiet, out of both of them she was the better communicator. She was the one who had them talk out their problems first or express how they were feeling. He knew that this must be so incredibly difficult for her.

Luna loved kids, the way her face lit up when she was with them was quite a site. She had caught baby fever almost a year before they got married. Amber remembers how at first he would just laugh at her plans for a lot of kids but about a year and a half into their marriage he started picturing a house full of tiny divas.

However, life had a different path for them. When she had finally gotten pregnant she was extremely careful and refused to tell anyone at first. It wasn’t until she really started showing that she finally told her family and their closest friends. With the way her body was reacting her biggest fear was the minute she said anything her body would reject the baby. When it almost happened twice Luna was a mess. The stress she felt was not only incredibly unhealthy for the baby but even more so for her. Amber even went on hiatus to try and help but all he could do was remind her that everything was going to be ok.

Amber looked back at Luna and saw her hand creep to the side of her neck as she took in a deep breath. She then turned to Amber, with her big doe eyes, and swallowed,

“I’m sorry.”

, she choked out, before hiding her face in her hands.

The tears fell quietly yet violently through her tiny frame. Amber gently pulled her to him and she crumbled against him,

“Amber what’s wrong with me.”

, she asked over and over. Her body shook as Amber held her tightly. He shifted his position to have her look at him.

Her face was puffy. Her nose sporting a bright red color andher eyes still filled with tears,

“Luna…you beautiful amazing woman, nothing is wrong with you.”

, Luna sniffled,

“I-I’m a useless wife.”

, Amber gave her a confused look before shaking his head,

“No you’re not.”

, she pulled away and held herself,

“I can’t even have kids Amber! I know you wanted a lot, I did…do too but I was barely able to carry Johnny full term.”

, she started to cry again,

“My body almost killed him. I’m a defect-“

“Luna…”

, Amber said sternly,

“You’re not a defect, it is hard but you are not a defect. Yes I want a lot of kids with you but if you can’t physically carry them it’s ok. There are other options. There’s surrogate, in vitro and even adoption. Luna, this isn’t going to be the end. The doctor said we can try, that we can keep doing your treatments and just see what happens but, if you can’t or don’t want to that’s ok. We can find another way to make it work.”

, He reached over and placed his hand behind her head,

“So don’t apologize about something we have no control over. What we can do is just… take a deep breath and calm down. Everything is going to work out perfectly. Besides if you think the only way a wife has any true value is strictly dependent on how many kids she can give…well…that’s pretty barbaric.”

, Luna laughed as she wiped away her tears,

“You’re so American.”

, she said with a sad smile,

“I know that’s not my worth I just… I just want you children. I want one that is exactly like you… looks, personality, weird little quirks…everything! I know you want that too.”

, Amber nodded before sitting back,

“Yeah, you’re right. I do want that but if it doesn’t happen…it doesn’t happen because at the end of the day you’re still the love of my life, you still make me feel like everywhere I go is home just cause you’re there and you still gave me a beautiful son who looks and acts like his gorgeous mother.”

, he softly traced his thumb the features of her face and Luna felt as though she would cry again,

“So for now… we’ll go slow… whatever you chose Lu, we’ll do it and just wait and see what happens. Yeah?”

, Luna looked at Amber, his face wasn’t the cute clean shaven baby face it used to be. His hair was no longer strange colors because of a new comeback. His arms were now covered in pictures that told his story. A lot had changed from when she met him in elementary to now but one thing always stayed the same. The way his eyes always seemed to have an unending strength. How they always made her feel peace. She knew that individually both her and Amber were strong. That there was a lot they could do on their own, however, she also knew that together they were an unstoppable force.

Amber leaned towards her to kiss her forehead. When he pulled away she reached up to give him a proper kiss. She then cuddled to him as he rubbed her back,

“Let’s keep doing what we’re doing right now then. Maybe it’ll take.”

, she said as she looked up at him. He nodded before smiling.

 

They were partners forever, through thick and thin. Ever since they were kids. As long as Luna had him she knew she’d be ok.


I feel like I'm the only one keeping the Lunber tag alive (cries in corner). Any who leave a comment. Whoop!!