Chapter 4

The distance between you and me

(1 week later....)

"Jinki, there's a letter for you". 
Jinki grabbed the letter from his mother's hand and went again into his room and locked himself in. It has been 7 days since Jonghyun left the world and those days were the longest and the loneliest days of Jinki's life. It's only once or twice he went out of the house and only to walk around the neighbourhood. He thought that it'll lessen his pain if he stays alone. He refused everyone's company, not even his mother, who was trying all she could to comfort him. He woke up from long sleeps trying to figure out whether it's the morning or evening. He was hardly himself. All the time, it was like his soul left his body without him knowing.
Jinki opened the small envelope and found 2 papers folded inside it; a sky blue colored and a white one. He unfolded the white one.

To Jinki,
Jinki hyung, it's, Minho. They found this letter inside hyung's car. It has your name on it, so I think hyung must have written it to give you later. I know, you must be trying to get over it by now and this may make it worse. But, I just wanted to give it to you. It's your own choice, to read it or to forget.
Minho.

Jinki hesitated to take the other letter out. But then, he needed to know what Jonghyun exactly wanted to tell him. He looked at the letter written on a blue sheet, in which Jinki knew that it was Jonghyun's favourite color. He took it out with his trembling hands and unfolded to see Jonghyun's tidy and beautiful hand writing. 

To Jinki,
It's been a while, right? Exactly 32 days, when I wrote this. I know you must be hating me by now, for leaving you for no exact reason. I'm sorry, Jinki-ah. I don't know why I did that. And now that I think, I might have been out of my mind that day. I lived everyday with nothing but loneliness left inside my heart after what happened. I couldn't do anything properly. I almost lost my job. I've got no idea what I should do, except to tell you how much I want you. I'm sorry, I was wrong that day. I never intended to tell you that I don't want to see you anymore or to tell that I want to break up. I think it must have been our busy lives. I was exhausted everyday since I started the night program and it might have changed me. Even after reading this letter, it may be hard for you to forgive me, and I don't want you to forgive me that easily either. But, I'll be waiting for you, Jinki-ah. It's okay even if it takes weeks or months. I'll wait for that day to come. And if that day ever comes, I promise you, I won't leave you again. I won't make you cry again. I promise.
I missed your presence that made me happy everyday. I love you, and you only.
Jonghyun.

The blue sheet of paper slipped out of his hands. He lost control of his balance and fell on the bed. Tears that had already formed inside his eyes started to roll down continuosly without letting the owner to control them. 
"How could you do that, Jonghyun? You told.... you told that you won't leave me again... I came to see you..., so.... so you should have stayed with me... why did you do that... why...??"
He wailed in so much pain which he knew that would never be over. He regreted not going to him and tell that he doesn't want to live without him. He started to blame himself every day and night.

At the end of every little thing, it was all those memories with Jonghyun, that he never wanted to forget. He wanted to believe that those happy memories will help him to start again and that they'll lighten his pain. He wished. But even so he wasn't certain. The regrets he bared were so powerful.

"Jinki-ah, I love you" Jonghyun will always whisper to Jinki when he finally goes to sleep after ending another busy day. And, "I love you too, Jonghyun-ah" will always be Jinki's reply, even though there's no one beside him to listen.