Sides

The Universe of Secrets

SINB

“Sorry sir, maybe you are right.” I clasp his shoulder and squeezed it. “You probably have a family to feed and I am wasting your time.” I opened his fist and place some money in his palm.

“Why are you giving me this?”

“Sir, go home. You are done for today.”

“No the boss will kill me. Thank you for your kindness, but I can’t take this!”

“The boss?”

“Yes, here.” He takes my arm.

I refused to open my fist. “It’s your pay check. Take it.”

“What?”

“I’m doing it on the boss’s behalf.”

“Are you? Jesus. I am sorry Madame.”

“Go home.”

“Yes right away.” He bowed before quickly hurrying away.

 

Why did this seem so easy? Sh*t that was my pay today. I twisted the handle and went inside. It had nothing but cleaning equipment. I slammed my hand on the wall.

“Damn it!” I cursed under my breath. I realised after a while meddling in my thoughts, that I have broke some of the plaster of the wall. I looked into the hole and the light cold air blew in my face. I closed the door behind me, and went on my knees and feel my way around for any cracks.

 

The little part of the wall shifted a little and I pushed against it. It didn’t budge. I pushed it again and it shifted a little more. Getting a little impatient I smashed my body against it and I fell into a dark room only to be lit by the moonlight.

 

“What the…” I rubbed my shoulder and dusted myself and stood up.

Something was not right.

It wasn’t from the start.

Something happened before mother’s death.

 

The place was a mess. Paper littered the floors and the furniture was dismantled. I search the place to only find the legs of the sofa and old newspapers.

That was when I went into my parent’s bedroom that I found a pile of burnt paper. Unfinished work. I knelt down next to the pile of ashes and found a half burnt document.  ‘Mr Park’. It said at the top.

I picked up another document to find another name labelled at the top it was severely burnt but I still could make out the name ‘Choi’.

I recognised that name, well everyone did. The man who changed the nation with his award winning innovation. What made me doubt this great man was the reason why these document with his name, littered the floor. I scanned around to even see his face in the many newspapers on the ground. I stuffed the few surviving documents in my bag and made my way out of the place. Seconds before my leave I saw a tape sitting on the kitchen bench. Bloody fingerprints mark the casing and the eerie remains of the place left me a little scared for my life.

 

I slip out the apartment building as fast as possible. Keeping my head low until I was out of the residence. I figured it was only safe for me to listen to the tape out in the open where I am surrounded with people rather than at home where I feel like I am watched and confided in close space with no escape. The tape was heavy in my hands, not because that listening to this could lead to my death. But the owner of the blood and the uncomfortable story of what could happened.

 

My finger hover on top of the play button. I took a deep breath and pressed play.

 

They are looking for you Eunbi…you take my words carefully and hold it like your life will depend on it. You need to run. Go home. And burn this tape when you finished.  

 

The static serves as the end of the tape. Yet it’s not the end of this manifesto.

 

YUJU

S-coup bursts into my office. Bending at the waist, breathing heavily.

“What is it?” I ask him.

He straightens up and closes the door locking it. “What’s wro-“ he covers my mouth with his hand.

“Quite down. Just be careful, we might be heard.” He whispers. “We have good news and bad news.”

“I might have found your Hwang Eunbi. Bad news is, you are bounded here for a while.”

“What did I tell you? Bad timing.”

“I know sis.”

“Did you just call me sis?”

“What do you want me to call you? My b*tch?” I look at him in disbelief.

“Rude?”

“Listen!”

“Go on.”

“Do you trust me?”

“Are you kidding me?”

“Your dad…he’s up to something. Because whatever your dad was doing it involved, Eunbi. That’s how I got this news. And I overheard his conversation on the phone with someone. Park, someone. What I’m really worried about is the fact that she is in danger right now.”

“F**k. We are in such a bad place right now!”

“Is it better to do something about it? Or let someone die?”

“We don’t have any options. The people we have here won’t take our side.”

“Unless.” I look at him square in the eye. “Sowon.”

“So-who?”

“Bad idea. It’ll just make everything suspicious.” I lean back on my chair. “I miss you.”

“Um hello? My a$$ is still here!”

“S-coup I need you…to do the biggest favour for me. After this, you need to leave and get yourself fired.”

“What?!”

“Take over me.”

“Are you doing what I think you are doing?” He drops on the sofa. “Stop whatever you are thinking. Your dad is already sh*t mad at you.”

“He can’t stay mad at me forever.”

He sighs. “You are so stubborn.”

“Are you going to help me or not?”

“I don’t really have a choice do I?”

“Nope. “

 

I’m sorry that I got the good side of things. I’m sorry you have to suffer, while I danced on the parallel universe. Where the only thing I was taught was to smile and close my mouth so that I don’t hurt anybody else.

 

SOWON

“You’re not getting any better.” My doctor looks at his clipboard.

“I know.” I mumbled.

“Are you putting any effort?” He says

“What about you? Have you found a cure or are you just asking me questions?”

He continues looking at his clipboard. “I’m speaking about you.”

“I think I have made a mistake, making you my patient.”

“I think I’ve made a mistake also. I trusted you.” I got up from my seat. “I think it’s time for you to go.” I whispered in his ear.

“You are sick.” His lips curl in disgust.  

I walked him out and watch him leave in his car. I closed my door, but opened it again. I stare at the figure that appeared in front of me.

“It’s been a while.” She says, walking in past me.

She kicked her shoes off and lay on the sofa. “What are you waiting for? Come here.”

“What are you doing here?”

“I’m tired.” She smiled at me.

“You can’t just walk in here like nothing.” I picked up her shoes. “How did you know where I live?”

“Easy.”

“You stalker.”

“What you don’t want to see me?”

“I don’t want to see anyone right now.”

“Ohhh. Baby Sowon is sad?” I fling her shoe at her.

“Shut it.” I picked up my phone. “Beer and chicken?”

“They have it here?”

“What can’t you get in America?”

“Love. I figured the last time I was here. There’s not enough to go around. Maybe anything that is real enough.”

“How are you Sowon?”

“Honestly? I don’t think I’ve been any better since 2 years ago.”

“Funny.”

“But since you are here and I don’t know god knows how. I feel so much better.”

“That was your Doctor walking out right?”

“Not anymore.”

“What?!”

“I’m sorry. I tried, but I’m not going to getting anything from a stranger.”

“How about this? I’ll be your doctor?”

“You haven’t even finished your degree yet.”

“As a friend Sowon. I’ll help you as a friend. I’ll make it up to you. Since with time and effort a stranger couldn’t.” she puts her finger to my lips. “Don’t even think about paying me.”

“Yuju?” I call her name for the first time since she came in.

“Not until you answer my question first.” She lies back down. “Eunha?”

“I don’t want to talk about her.”

“You see your problem? You don’t say anything and then you get anxiety. It’s a cycle that won’t stop unless you face you illness and accept it!” I don’t say anything, I couldn’t. “I’m here to help you. So please let me!”

I lift up my hand. “I’m shaking, Yuju. You never get angry at me.”

She takes a hold of my hand. “Now I will. I’m not going to be nice to the thing that is killing you inside.”

“We broke up.” I took a deep breath. “Yuju, we got bored of each other. We fell distant. Then bam!”

“Come here.” She opens her arm and I fell right into her. “She…how do I say this? In nicer terms you just told me that an innocent looking bunny like that cheated on you?”

“Yep.”

“With who?”

“With a guy. You see I wouldn’t be mad with her if it was a girl. But it was a man. Everything that I wasn’t.” I muffled into her shoulder. “Why does my heart hurt?”

“It’s okay.” She says

“Not really.”

“I’m sorry that was a lie. This is not okay. But let her go.” I laugh at her.

“How did you know?” I ask her trying not to burst into tears.

“I just know sis. I just know.”

“Why is it that we are in the bad side of things? Did we really deserve this?” I let go and I felt so good. Oh god why didn’t I do this sooner. She pulls me away from her shoulder and wipe away the last of tears with the back of her hand.

“You hopeless idiot.” She laughs.

“This is embarrassing.” I say. “What’s wrong Yuju? Why are you here?”

“It’s Sinb.” I stare at her. “I think she’s in danger. And it’s my fault.”

“You did nothing. I can tell by your face. You don’t even know what you did wrong.” I place my hand on her thigh. “Do you know where she is? Sinb?”

“No. That makes it even worse.” I stand up and went to get my leather jacket on the kitchen table. “And…Sowon, I think my dad is after her.”

“Your dad? How do you know that?”

“My assistant overheard a conversation with my dad with a man named Park.”

I put on my jacket. “What are you waiting for? We need to find her before your dad does.”

“That’s why I am telling you to go on your own.”

“What?”

“I can’t go anywhere.” She says.

“I can’t go on my own either.”

“My dad’s men are after me, I’m not suppose to leave London. But I did.”

“If I go. I will lead them straight to Sinb. I don’t want either of you to get hurt.”

“Don’t worry about us getting hurt. I know you need her.”

“She wouldn’t want to look at my face.” She says.

“Stop with your stupid excuses and let’s go!” I pull her up.

 

SINB

Go to this address. Beside this note is a sum of money. You need to stay there until I give you further notices. There is also your passport. You need to flee when you feel you are in danger. While you are there keep an eye out for ‘Park Hang Byul’, I have a feeling you already met him. The man will be searching for you. But has no idea that you are near him. Careful Sinb.  

                                                                                                                               -H

 

I must be out of my mind. I read the note one more time before disposing it down the toilet. I walk out into the living room of my hideout. I closed the curtains and locked the front door and came back to sit on the kitchen table. I am completely crazy. Why do I trust a person without a proper name but ‘H’? If his voice wasn’t disorientated in the last recording I could make out who it was. The tape did not look like the ones my dad had given me. And I couldn’t fully trust that the owner is my dad.

 

I look at the documents I had taken from the apartment. These are company acquirements and stock from Mr Choi. But what connection does he have with my dad and Mr Park? I really needed to find the answers from the man who has kept hold of these documents.  

“This is really confusing!” I hold my head. I don’t know anymore, I need some fresh air.

 

I like how the sand feels under my feet. I like how soothing the waves are. I like the soft wind blowing on the back of my neck. I hate that this place reminds me of Yuju. Every little thing reminded me of her, and it hurt. I lie myself down in the sand and up into the sky.

 

“I haven’t talked to you in a while.”

UNIVERSE: you have forgotten?

“I’m in a mess.”

UNIVERSE: I’m sorry Sinb I can’t really help but watch you.

“Will everything be fine?”

UNIVERSE: That’s up to you to decide. I already know what will happen next. It’s waiting for you.

 

 

Not that I’m ungrateful to be alive. It’s just that I feel so alone. Even if the sky is showered with the millions number of stars. Or that I am surrounded by the many people in this town. I am alone because out of those hundreds on people, I knew no one. I’m certain no one here can see me. But if they do, they would wonder why I am not in college. I can’t bear to live anymore, I am such an embarrassment. I can’t even do anything about it.

 

The moon rose higher and brighter, it was time for me to leave. I got up trying not to fall back down. My feet stop walking in the sand and my smile faded away when I saw a woman staring back at me. She’s wearing a floral dress that was blowing in the wind. Her face. That face, I knew that face like the back of my hand. It can’t be.

 

 

A/N Who do you guys think it is?