At First They Had Stared

Let Me

~1~

If Mijin Brown closed her eyes.

She could hear it.

Wheezing, it clawed away at the floor.

She could see it.

Its empty sockets peering back at her as it drew closer.

Slowly yet ever so surely.

“You think that you’re talented?”

Until she felt it breathing down her neck.

“You think that you can draw me?”

Until it crept ever so close to her ear.

“You can’t.”

Until it looked her straight in the eye.

“You never could.”

Then it attacked her.

“Mijin?”

There were words for the piercing cry that had just escaped Mijin Brown’s lips. There truly were. However, they all but paled in comparison to the bewildered looks from the people surrounding her. Especially the businessman who had tried to innocently fall asleep on her shoulder for the last 4 stations. Much to Kim Namjoon’s annoyance.

“Not so pretty anymore, is she?”

Namjoon’s snark dissolved into a small yelp as Mijin slightly kicked his leg. Not that she truly cared as she sent a guilty look towards the businessman. True, she had wanted to knock him out a few moments ago but that was no reason to render him deaf. Slightly biting her lip, she couldn’t help but slightly bow her head to the man as he all but scooted away from her and onto the grandmother to his right.

“Are you alright, Mijin?” Namjoon chuckled as the business received the grandmother’s bag in his face. “The whole point of this Mijin-Namjoon Special was to bring you back to normal, you know?”

Now.

According to normal people, a Mijin-Namjoon Special was a date.

Kim Namjoon was normal.

His best friend was not.

Case closed.

“Dear best friend of mine?” Namjoon softly called as Mijin slowly looked up at him.

Kim Namjoon had been her very first subject. At the top of her six years, she had slaved away trying to recreate that crooked grin of his. Till this day, even after seriously pursuing Art at University, she had never succeeded perfectly capturing it. Of course, she had mastered the beautiful curve of his lips and the depth of those adorable dimples. However, she had never caught that ever-changing glint in his eyes. It pained her because the smile of her four-year-old Namjoon was completely different from the 22-year-old Namjoon towering over her now and she hadn’t caught it on paper. All because she could see the sadness and maturity wrapping around his childish nature but that was it.

“You can’t draw me.”

That was it.

She couldn’t even blame anyone but herself for it.

“I saw it.” She sighed despite herself as she sprung to her feet.

“What?” Namjoon mused as he hung onto the overhead bars. “The light?” His chuckles wrapped around Mijin as she all but flipped him a middle finger. So much for friendship. “Where are you going?”

Ignoring him, Mijin made her way towards the subway car’s doors. Giggling to herself, she threw a glance back at Namjoon as his tall frame awkwardly tried to make its way through the mass. Having reached her destination, she gingerly nestled into a corner next to the doors and eyed Namjoon as he all but gave up in next a group of high school kids.

“We still have 5 stations to go.” He pouted as he leaned for the overhead bars.

“Miss me to death until then, Kim Namjoon.” She teased and he stuck his tongue out at her.

“How will I be able to tell you how much I’ve missed you if I’m dead?” He teased right back before mock gasping. “Shall I come back to haunt you?” Mijin mirrored his gasp and they both laughed. “So then, what did you see?”

This should have been the time for Mijin to shush Namjoon. To have this simple conversation, they were practically screaming over people’s heads. If looks could kill, the woman sitting closest to Mijin, would have already been halfway done burying her. Still, Mijin could only sigh as she looked back at Namjoon.

“My next subject.”

Her voice had barely been a whisper. However, after all these years of studying her lips, Namjoon had heard it all.

“I see that I’ve failed at distracting you, dear best friend of mine.” He nodded as he rested his head on his outstretched arm.

Sheepishly, Mijin bit her lower lip before shrugging. To her defense, they both knew that nothing was nearly distracting enough for her in the face of a new project. Especially when she had yet to choose her subjects for three entirely different projects. Especially when one of them was a year-end project. She could only wince at the mere thought of it again.

“So?” Slightly opening one eye, Mijin looked back at Namjoon. “Is it going to let you draw it?”

The first time she’d told her family why she couldn’t just draw their portraits at the drop of a hat, her mother had called her talents useless. The first time she’d told them what went through her mind before every drawing, her sister had considered sending her to an asylum. The first time she’d told Namjoon, she had been ready to see him smile nervously in true Namjoon fashion before running away from her. However, it had been different.

“If it doesn’t let me, I can’t draw it.”

It had been effortless.

It had been adorable.

It had brought the most beautiful smile to her lips.

“Should I talk to myself and ask him for you then?”

Now.

If Kim Namjoon’s smile was a warm embrace, Mijin Brown’s smile was an electric shock. As though to make a point, the subway suddenly gave a violent jerk. It was too good not to believe that she was the source of this short-circuit. However, looking back at her, she was the very definition of a completely rattled young woman. Indeed, Mijin tried to steady herself as people rushed out of the subway. For a second, she actually felt comfortable. Emphasis on the second.

A small squeal escaped her lips as a large mass pushed into the subway, seemingly crushing everything in its path, herself included. Nonetheless, she held her ground and latched onto the bar near the doors. So much so that she nearly let out a cry of victory as they safely closed behind her and she hadn’t budged.

Almost beaming, she instantly tried to find Namjoon.

Only to purely and utterly fail as she met pale skin.

Taken aback, she absent-mindedly lurched her head backwards. Even though, she knew for a fact that she was far too close to the door to escape unscathed from this, it was already too late. She would just have to bear with the pain and the second-hand embarrassment.

However, it never came.

Instead, a hand gently cradled her head back to safety.

Fingers slightly grazed the nape of her neck as they slid away from her.

A dark gaze never left hers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, hello :) 

We are sorry to inform you that the broadcast of this very precious Mijin-Namjoon Special has been interrupted by an extremely beautiful gaze, heh. On a more serious note, I sincerely hope that you've enjoyed this first chapter. Hopefully it has kept you intrigued in time to meet... *dramatic pause*

Until next time ^^, without further ado :

Fun fact : I did scream, just like Mijin, the first time I imagined that thing staring back at her! I still shiver when reliving the experience, heh ^^' 

Thank You <3

                          Do Read

                                          Read

                                                   & DComment <3

 Ciaociaoxx