Their Teamwork

Special Agent Yoo and Forensic Doctor Kang: Special Case
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Descendants of The Shaman? Seriously, guys? Hahaha...

For those of you who want to read this story, but it’s night time at your place and you’re not brave enough, you can read it in the morning...don’t want to cause you to freak out.

Happy weekend to my readers and long weekend to my Indonesian readers... May Day yo :)

Chapter 3

Their Teamwork

 

13:45

“The man in the painting,” Mo Yeon turned to look at Si Jin, “he looks just like you.”

Si Jin also thought the same thing. His face, jaw and even his eyes were very similar to him. It was like seeing himself wearing a Joseon outfit for a costume party.

“But, he looks younger,” the doctor added, causing Si Jin to exhale animatedly.

“I’m not that old,” the agent grumbled.

“I didn’t say you were. I only said the man looks younger,” Mo Yeon ignored Si Jin. “He’s the younger version of you.”

Si Jin walked closer to the painting and blew the dust on the lower frame. He tilted his head when he read the Hangul, “Min Jee.” The agent furrowed his eyebrows and took steps backwards, eyes on the painting, finally understood. “He was the shaman Won Jin had talked about.”

“So, Won Jin did come here,” Mo Yeon concluded. “But, how come the man looks just like you? Do you have ancestor who was a shaman in Joseon era?”

Si Jin made a face at Mo Yeon. “How am I suppose to know? I don’t think that era even has official records for births and deaths.”

He, then, looked around the dusty room and his eyes caught the sight of an old flashlight and later, a gun, a bit far from the flashlight, on the floor. The agent approached the flashlight and lowered his body before pulling out his gloves and a transparant pouch from his pocket, a habit as an agent for carrying those anywhere he went. After wearing the gloves, Si Jin took the flashlight and put it inside the pouch, and he did the same for the gun.

Mo Yeon was looking around on the other side of the room when she saw a chest on the table. She tilted her head and looked around. Dust covered everything, but the chest was still look brand new. In curiosity, she approached the table and her fingers slowly traced the contour of the chest. It was beautifully crafted and slowly, Mo Yeon took the chest to examine it.

Unbeknownst to both the agent and the doctor, a fog appeared in the room.

Si Jin walked closer to Mo Yeon, holding the pouch and showed it to the doctor. “I don’t think Joseon era has these things.”

The doctor averted her attention to the pouch and put the chest back on the table. When she did, the fog slowly disappeared.

“Where did you get those?” Mo Yeon asked in disbelief.

“On the floor,” the agent answered shortly. “I’m going to take this to my office and look for fingerprints, and try to find the records about Jung Hoon’s autopsy in 1982. I’ll take you back to Haesung. You said you haven’t finished examined Myung Hee.”

Mo Yeon nodded and then, she saw something not far from the chest earlier. “Agent Yoo,” the doctor said while pointing to an object. “Isn’t that a camera?”

Si Jin eyed the object and it was indeed an old camera, covered heavily by dust. He took it and put the camera inside the pouch.

“I don’t think camera is already developed during Joseon era either,” Mo Yeon said and looked around the room again, suddenly felt cold. “If Jung Hoon and his friends were here before, then how you found the bodies outside?”

The agent nodded in agreement. “You’re right. More mysteries.” He pulled out his handphone and took a picture of the painting.

Mo Yeon slapped Si Jin’s arm playfully. “You can’t disrespect him by taking picture like that.”

“I don’t think he would mind,” Si Jin defended himself. And then, he took his gloves off and put it back on his pocket along with his phone. “Let’s go.”

16:30

Si Jin arrived at NIS headquarter after dropping his partner off in Haesung. He went straight to NIS laboratory and saw his colleague, Agent Choi, behind his computer screen. Without announcing his arrival, Si Jin put his pouch on Agent Choi’s table in loud thud while the latter only raised his eyebrows.

Agent Choi pursed his lips and took the pouch before chuckling. “You were away almost the whole day and return with a flashlight, a gun, and a camera? Where did you get those?”

“From my current case,” Si Jin answered and sat across from his colleague. “I need you to find some fingerprints on the objects.” He motioned at the camera. “And maybe, you can print some of the photos from there.”

Agent Choi hummed and wore his glove before opening the pouch, taking the camera on his hand. “This is more like a camera from the 80s.” He looked at Si Jin. “It’s going to take a while.”

“Take your time, but not too long,” the agent responded.

“Ok,” Agent Choi said and grinned. “So, how’s your partner? I heard she’s beautiful.”

Si Jin groaned and rose from his seat. “Will you excuse me? I’m going to kill Agent Gong.”

Agent Choi laughed and said to Si Jin’s retreat figure, “It’s going to be hard because he already went home.”

After his visit to the laboratory, Si Jin went to the files room. Using NIS restricted and secured internet access, he sought the autopsy records for cases in 1982 from local police files and found the full record for Jung Hoon. He furrowed his eyebrows when he read the boy also had bruise on his back, just like his partner had said. Si Jin printed the report and took it with him before leaving the room.

20:30

The agent sat in front of his laptop in his place with google page on the screen. He took a sip from his drink and typed ‘Min Jee’, checking the results, but he didn’t find any informations about a person from Joseon era. It was like Min Jee was never existed. He, then, typed ‘shaman’ and read informations about it. Apparently, shamans never mentioned their family names and it was a common practice during Joseon era. Some were true, but a lot were fake, so people can be paid while practicing shaman despite the fakeness. A few were powerful causing the Kings in the dynasty took precautions by eliminating the shamans who considered very powerful.

Si Jin took his phone and swept the security pattern before tapping the gallery icon. He looked again at the picture of the painting of a man who looked just like him.

His heart twisted.

Who was the man?

Could he be related to him in any ways?

Day 2

08:30

Mo Yeon just arrived at Haesung and parked her bicycle, walking to the front door before Si Jin suddenly appeared next to her.

“Good morning. You’re late,“ he said, causing Mo Yeon almost jumped in surprise.

The doctor squinted her eyes at Si Jin. Just like the day before, he was so handsome with his black suit. “Good morning and you’re early. When did you arrive?”

Si Jin shrugged. “I just arrived and saw you parked your bike, so I followed you.” Seeing Mo Yeon this morning made his heartbeat quickened. She was so lovely with her white shirt and dark trousers.

“Is stealth one of the requirements to become a special agent?”

“Not really necessary.”

The doctor raised her eyebrows. “Why are you here?”

“I had the reports about the fingerprints and the autopsy of Jung Hoon that you asked. I also want to discuss something with you,” the agent said.

Mo Yeon sighed animatedly. “Always the straightforward type.” She extended her arm playfully. “Just lead the way.”

Si Jin grinned and motioned with his head to his car. Just like yesterday, he opened the passenger door for Mo Yeon, a gesture which he began to like because the doctor seemed to like it. He closed the door when his partner already settled on her seat. Si Jin sat on the driver seat afterwards and started to drive.

Mo Yeon didn’t feel surprise when Si Jin took her to the same coffee shop as the day before. They ordered their drinks and breads, and Mo Yeon waited at their table.

“Have you had your breakfast?” she asked Si Jin when he sat across from her, eyeing the cups.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter