Intern

Intern

He had just completed his night rounds and Dr Lee Sungmin was typing his final update status in the centre's laptop on a movable pedestal which he has been pulling around and update each patients' file. He likes this new and very convenient system, where everything has  been computerised and the Medical Centre is now able to update patients status real time online which goes directly into each patient's file, together with all images of their x-ray, MRI scan, and each patient's elergies. Everything is updated and available online, from whichever computer the doctors access from. 

It was one of a final year medical student's innovative project which Sapphire Medical's Head, Dr Kim Youngwoon adopted after attending an exhibition of medical students of SM University projects for that campus. He was so impressed by the idea that he had negotiated with SM University and the student himself, with codename 'Gaemgyu', whether he could use the idea in his Centre. The student had gladly helped him with his ideas and now the whole Medical Centre is using online system on practically everything, from assigning beds, updating of records, assigning medicines upon discharged, to allocating resources for shift work. Sungmin is very impressed with this student's idea, who, other than studying medicine, also explored how to make the medical world better. If only top notch medical students like him wants to work at Sapphire Medical Centre. Sadly, most top students preferred to work in bigger hospitals with many facilities. 

The computerisation reduces 90% of manual work in the Centre and Dr Kim Youngwoon couldn't be any happier that his investment to upgrade Sapphire Medical Centre system proved to be worth every cents. 

Sungmin sat at his desk and look through his emails. There was one email from Head of Human Resources, Victoria Song, informing him that he has been assigned with an intern. Sungmin sighed and recalled that the previous intern, Henry Lau, was a disaster. He was a Canadian-Taiwanese and spoke mainly English. Not that Sungmin couldn't speak the language, but he found it difficult to communicate and translate every single thing that Henry could not understand. 

Sungmin clicked the attachment in Victoria's email to view the new intern's profile. His name is Cho Kyuhyun, and had just graduated with Master in Medicine and Medical Research, and he would be here to report to Sungmin in 2 days time. There was a photo of the intern as well. "Good, coz I'm off tomorrow. Hmmm, he looked nerdy though, with big spectacles and curly brown hair. Seemed like I saw him before, mmm maybe he was here on student tour" Sungmin was talking to himself.  He type a reply to Victoria with "Ok, noted" and clicked sent. He hope that he can be a good mentor to this intern and hope that he wasn't anything like Henry. After his internship, Henry left to work at Canada, wasting all Sungmin's effort teaching him during the mentorship. Sungmin logoff from his email, shut down his laptop and left the Centre. 

Sungmin was waiting for the intern at the Centre's concierge for 10mins already, but he was nowhere in sight. He saw the Centre's head, Dr Kim, walking towards him with a tall guy who Sungmin could not recognise. 

"Dr Lee, this is your intern, Cho Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun, this is Dr Lee Sungmin, who will be your mentor for the next few months. Sorry, Dr Lee, we were late as we were discussing something just now. Ok I will leave him to you. See you and Kyuhyun! "

" It's ok, Dr Kim. See you! " Sungmin bow at him. He was surprised that Kyuhyun looks different from the photo and that he was the one talking with Dr Kim earlier. The nerd guy is now without specs, and he must have trimmed away his brown curls, so he looks extremely handsome now.

"I'm sorry for being late, Dr Lee. Dr Kim called me last night to come earlier and to see him first". 

"Oh, is there a problem with your internship? "

"No no, not because of that, he just wanted to ask some questions", Kyuhyun smile but did not explained further. 

"Ok then, shall we start? I will bring you around the wards and show you how to use our system here, but before that, let me get you a fresh white coat and get your temporary staff pass".

"Oh, I already have a permanent visitor pass, do I need to change it to a temporary staff pass?" Kyuhyun showed him his pass. 

"Hmm? You have a permanent visitor pass? Then I think you don't need to change first" Sungmin felt strange that Kyuhyun is holding a permanent visitor pass, because such pass is a special pass which allowed the person to access all buildings because the clearance was normally requested by Dr Kim himself. Maybe Kyuhyun is related to Dr Kim, Sungmin wonders.

After getting the white coat, Sungmin brought him to the wards, and explained to him each of his patients' status. He explained briefly how to use the computer system and asked Kyuhyun to do the inputting. Kyuhyun did the input with ease and surprisingly he knew what to click, what to select and how to update the patient's file. Sungmin thought maybe because he's a nerd, coz normally nerds learn fast and has special abilities. 

As they past the nurse station, the nurse on duty called Sungmin to help her with an input screen. Apparently she couldn't save the new details and due to that the file upload failed. Confused but need to show Kyuhyun that he knew the system well, Sungmin tried to decipher what was wrong. However he was stumped too. Kyuhyun asked whether he could take a look, and easily found the problem. He told the nurse "miss, you input the identification number wrongly in the previous page, I think missing one digit, so the system couldn't locate the file. Maybe you check the patient's ID again?" 

And true enough, after the nurse corrected the ID, she can update all other details, saved and upload the file. She said thank you to Kyuhyun. Sungmin was impressed but thought that maybe it was a lucky guess. And that this nerd just wants to show off. 

They continued their rounds, then Sungmin showed Kyuhyun the cafeteria, his office, where to get a fresh coat, and explain to him that as his intern, Kyuhyun has to follow his work shift schedule. Kyuhyun said he understand, and asked Sungmin whether he can have a copy of his shift schedule. 

It has been a month that Kyuhyun became Sungmin's intern and Kyuhyun actually gave more clearer advice to the patients by describing to them what are the consequences of certain medications and what are their side effects. He gained more popularity and though Sungmin didn't mind, he was getting irritated that his patients look forward to Kyuhyun's visit rather than him. And during breaks, Kyuhyun would disappear and only returned an hour later, and most of the time with Dr Kim. 

After the 2nd month, Sungmin became suspicious of Kyuhyun's whereabouts whenever they were having breaks. He was thinking of asking Dr Kim but he didn't want to sound busybody. He likes Kyuhyun and he has nothing to complain because Kyuhyun  is always very charming, very helpful and care about his well being. If Sungmin was tired or not well, Kyuhyun would help to carry all Sungmin's things, get him drinks and even open the doors for him.  But he felt that Kyuhyun is hiding something from him and he don't like to be kept in the dark. 

Just when he was about to call Dr Kim, Dr Kim called Sungmin. "Heyyy Sungmin, I know it's your off day tomorrow, but I want you to attend our Medical Research Centre inauguration opening after it has been fully refurbished and computerised. It will be at the Research Centre's new auditorium. Be there tomorrow ok, 10am" and just like that, Dr Kim cut off the line. 'What? Why me? There are other senior doctors around' Sungmin thought. 

He was checking his emails in his room, when he saw an announcement email from Dr Park Jungsu, Head of Medical Research unit, about how the unit transform from manual research which previously took weeks to achieve results, to a now fully computerised lab with high end microscope and drug processing machine which can identify drug mixture to produce new medicines for the benefits of patients. It was a joint project with SM University and all the  computerisation of research engine was spearheaded by the same top student who had help Sapphire Medical Centre to be equipped with advanced medical  technology like what it is today, whose codename is 'gaemgyu'. 

Sungmin was very impressed with this top student. He was curious who it is, and told himself that he will definitely attend the a Research Unit's opening. He wonders how come Dr Kim didn't ask him to bring Kyuhyun along, because it seems that Dr Kim is quite close to Kyuhyun. Ohh well, maybe because Kyuhyun is still an intern. 

Sungmin arrived early before the opening starts. He sat on the 5th row from the front, and was engrossed browsing Tweeter and reading some news.  A lot of doctors and other staff has arrived and they had filled up the front rows, by the time Sungmin looked up from his phone. 

The ceremony started with Dr Park gave a short speech and invited Dr Kim to address the attendees. Dr Kim them invited 'gaemgyu' and Dr Park to the stage to officially 'open' the Research Centre. Sungmin's jaw dropped and he has to close his mouth when he realised that 'gaemgyu' is actually his intern, Cho Kyuhyun!!! Ohmygod, Kyuhyun is gaemgyu, the top student who is the brainchild of all these computerisation and imaging. How could he not know?? 

Later on during cocktail, he saw Kyuhyun was busy with some reporters however Sungmin noticed that he kept looking around for something. Dr Kim came over to Sungmin and praise Kyuhyun for his ideas and dedication to help their Medical Centre. Sungmin asked Dr Kim why he asked Kyuhyun to be an intern, since he's the top student, surely Kyuhyun can directly be a full fledge doctor with his top results and brilliant ideas. Dr Kim said "Oh, it was Kyuhyun's own request to be an intern, and to be put under you, Sungmin" Dr Kim smile. 

Sungmin was surprised by the revelation and wonder why? "Huh? Really? How did he know who I am, I don't think I met him before" 

"He said that he always saw you whenever he came here to discuss and complete the programming and the computerisation of the Centre. Maybe you didn't see him, or maybe because he looked differently last time, he used to put on spectacles and had curly hair" Dr Kim told him. 

No wonder Sungmin thought that he saw the nerd guy before. And the nerd guy is the brilliant Kyuhyun. He is in awe of Kyuhyun and his admiration doubled. No wonder Kyuhyun was so good in their system and explaining all the medical terms to his patients. But Sungmin still wonders why Kyuhyun wanted to be an intern under him. "Ask Kyuhyun himself!" Dr Kim pat Sungmin's shoulder, smile and walked away to talk to Dr Park. 

"Finally! I was looking for you Dr Lee" suddenly Kyuhyun was next to Sungmin. 

Sungmin turned around and shook hands with him "Congratulations Kyuhyun! I didn't know you are actually the 'gaemgyu' that I've been admiring for so long. I'm very impressed with your ideas to upgrade everything to be online. It's very beneficial as we can view images instantly even before the patient reached the clinic from the x-ray room". 

"Haha, it was originally just my thesis and final year project, and I didn't expect Dr Kim were interested".

"Why did you want to be an intern? And to be under me? "

Kyuhyun looked down shyly "I, always saw you and always wanted to get to know you better. The only way is to be your intern. I don't think if I ask you out last time, you would agree. You probably smacked me haha" 

"I see... So, will you be asking me out very soon, now that you got to know me better?" 

Smiling, Kyuhyun look at Sungmin and ask "Dr Lee Sungmin, will you go on a date with me?" 

"and I thought you never ask! Yes I will!". 

Kyuhyun took Sungmin's hand in his. "So..... Shall we leave now?"